MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2006-09-12, 16:00
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Tremolo Trouble

I am posting in class so I can't search for this,but still. I have a westone Spectrum II with a bendmaster deluxe tremolo, which is pretty much a Floyd. I play in D but the trem is only stable when I tune to E. What do I need to do to tune to D? I tried taking a spring out ( it has 3) but that made the trem sit too far forward. It needs to be parallel with the body right? Can someone help? By the way I haven't posted in so long because I no longer have a computer.

Old 2006-09-12, 16:25
kurt:ellis
Metalhead

Put something under the bridge , like a 9v battery or a Jenga Block.
Then with that under it , it wont sink when you drop tune.

Old 2006-09-12, 19:53
k13m
Post-whore

learn to setup a tremolo..

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-12, 20:52
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

it's a basic concept.

Strings vs. springs

if string tension is big bridge will lean forward. so you make the springs tighter and the bridge will level out. and vice versa
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+

Old 2006-09-12, 23:36
Doktorskell
Senior Metalhead

You just need to take the time to set the bridge up properly when you tune it to D. Floyd roses are not good for people who want to re-tune one guitar often.

"I have been working on this for an hour and i swear if it takes an hour longer i'm going to have floy rose killed"

Old 2006-09-13, 16:08
7-string warlord
Post-whore

okay I don't know if I can put something under the bridge. So since I am tuning to D and the bridge is too far back, I need to slacken the spring tension right? I have three springs that look like this /I\ and it leans back. If I take the middle spring out, the tension is too great and it leans forward (torward the neck). So maybe I should try it like this III? I'm not too sure. For the record I'm using DR 11-50 and really don't wanna get any bigger so larger strings won't help. I'm getting pretty close to torching the darn thing

Old 2006-09-13, 19:34
OpethFan
Toast-whore

At each end of the springs, one end of the springs goes into the bottom of the actual bridge, the others connect to a metal claw, which is screwed into the body.

If it is set right in E tuning, and you want it in D - you will need to loosen those screws holding that metal claw into the body.

At first do it 1/4 of a turn of each screw at a time - And tune the guitar each time you adjust the screws.

It is a very long process at first, basically you just adjust then tune, and repeat until the bridge is flat.

Do a google search for setting up floyd rose or something, I've seen pretty detailed how-to's with pictures.

Think my attitude stinks?? You should smell my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2006-09-13, 20:33
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorskell
You just need to take the time to set the bridge up properly when you tune it to D. Floyd roses are not good for people who want to re-tune one guitar often.

"I have been working on this for an hour and i swear if it takes an hour longer i'm going to have floy rose killed"
hmm i used to retune from d to c# to E liek 10 times a week, after a while u can set up a floyd in 5 mins and have it perfectly setup. well i could at that time, but yeh its kinda tricky, but seriously once you realy got the hang of it, its a 5/10 min job.

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-13, 22:14
Metalhead

If you tune upto E , then with you trem arm , dip it towards the neck so the bridge rises , then place the battery or block or whatever under the trem so it sits under the trem in the cavity. Then lower the trem onto it , then just de tune as usual. Simple enough right?

Old 2006-09-14, 15:46
7-string warlord
Post-whore

Well I broke my high E last night, so once I get another I'll try to do what opeth fan said. Thanks a lot.

Old 2006-09-14, 16:29
Metalhead

How'd you break it man?

Old 2006-09-18, 15:43
7-string warlord
Post-whore

I broke it when I was messing with the springs, but I changed it when I found an extra. Well anyways My trem is 100% perfect now so thanks to everyone!

Old 2006-11-10, 00:55
boltmetal
Metalhead

yout tumb is key to make a good harmonic....wammy bar shit is stupid

Old 2006-11-10, 10:59
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by boltmetal
yout tumb is key to make a good harmonic....wammy bar shit is stupid
WTF

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-11-10, 11:33
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Your Thumb is pretty useful for making harmonics... but thats not the only way.

And what relevance do harmonics have to this guys tremolo, or thread?

Old 2006-11-10, 15:09
deifiler
Senior Metalhead

Can I point out... You seem to see how rmeoving a spring could benefit it, yet you never questioned the concept of altering the spring's tension? See it similar to tuning, with greater mechanical changes (i.e. removing an entire spring) compared to the fine tuning of adjusting the spring tension.

You'd be right to compare that in your mind to the strings and how they tune; big changes at the machine ehad with finetuning at the bridge.

Hopefully you can pictureboth of those, then see how you have to 'combine them' - or balance is a better word. If you can't view the basic principles of something, you're pretty fucked when it comes to trying to alter/enhance them without a semi decentsense of logic

sorry-for-broken-spacebar...cant-be-arsed-to-edit-whole-post

Old 2006-11-10, 17:37
PUngency
Senior Metalhead

Damn... the bridge topic needs its own thread. Is it me or do I keep seeing these.

Old 2006-11-11, 06:38
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

I think the Guitar forum has enough stickies as it is, but yeah, Trem trouble is usually a regular topic here.

Can never understand all the fuss myself, I've always had floating trems and I learned how to use it and set it up myself pretty quickly otherwise I'd have never been able to play the guitar. It's not a hard concept and relies on basic mechanics.

Old 2006-11-11, 10:49
k13m
Post-whore

these topics are a good excuse for al members to do some flaming and say.

SEARCH!!! lol cuz 99% of the time its just a guy that doesnt know how to setup a trem

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2008-05-08, 00:14
demonchild45
New Blood

im having an issue with my trem, i have an Ibanez RG with an Edge III trem, my claw is tightened all the way, but my trem is still tilted forward, i have absolutely not idea wat to do, plez help me

Old 2008-05-08, 06:41
withinexile
New Blood

you need more springs, or springs that are stronger, check out your local music store, most of the time they will have more springs you can buy to add in