MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2002-09-14, 19:04
Gigantic Penis
Post-whore

hearing the bass

many bands have bass that you cant really hear too well. it just sort of deepens the sound of the rest of the instruments. is there a certain way to get your bass to stand out more without overpowering the other instruments?

a good example is some songs of "the divine wings of tragedy" by symphony x or with some punk bands. you can really hear the bass separately.....

"I guess it all works out in the end"
"Yeah, the REAR end."

-Beavis and Butt-head

Old 2002-09-14, 19:35
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Adjust your equalizations, and physically play harder...or just increase your volume minorly.

Also, if you can get the vibrations to travel better, it seems to work too.

I never fucked a 10, but one night I fucked five 2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.

Old 2002-09-15, 17:56
xDarkestHourx
Senior Metalhead

what also works, is to play something that doesn't follow the guitar exactly. Like when a guitar is playing the same note throw in some sixteenths or whatever and it'll usually come through. But the equalizer suggestion usually works best.

Old 2002-09-15, 17:58
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

sometimes the bass plays the same riffs as the guitar so then the bass sorta fades away...
mostly the other instruments are just mixed so that the bass fades away a bit, I don't really like mixed out bass because obviously i play bass myself, but the bass is also a harder to record instrument, I know out of experience...

playing harder is only a ' live ' solution...

having an active bass is also pretty nice so you can beef up the sound on stage etc.