MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2006-08-11, 04:37
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Solid State Amp Wars

Alright, so I've decided that the next amp I'm going to get will be solid state, since in the end, seems like the kind of tone I prefer.
I've read lots of threads on this forum about what people consider to be good choices for a S.S. amp, like the Randall Cyclone, Crate Shockwave [yes I know about the headroom], and Ampeg VH series. A couple of questions.

- Is it true that I can't crank a solid state loud without losing some sound quality? This seems to be a major issue w/ the Shockwave, do all S.S. amps suffer the same problem?

- I heard soundclips of the Cyclone and was VERY pleased. However, they don't seem to showcase it on Randall's website. Is it still in production or do I have to get one secondhand?

- Let's assume $$$ is not a concern. Besides the Randall/Crate/Ampeg contenders, is there any other brands' S.S. amp worth trying out?

Last edited by Sycophant : 2006-08-11 at 04:39.

Old 2006-08-11, 04:54
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

I would check out some of the Tech21 Trademark heads as well. A friend of mine who owns some seriously brutal amps, (modded 5150, Two-Rock, and Bogner Ecstacy, the only amp that is capable of slaying a Powerball) likes the Trademark, so if a tube guy like that gives it a thumbs up, its probably pretty badass.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-08-11, 07:42
*insert name here*
Jono

You dont lose sound quality as long as you have some headroom. Once you push the poweramp enough, it will shit, but the more s.s. watts allows more volume before that happens.

Old 2006-08-11, 08:13
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

This is true, when SS power amps are driven into distortion, thats when the tone starts to suffer.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:

Old 2006-08-11, 09:50
Slabbefusk
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

Be sure to get cabs with low ohm or rewire them so that they are.

Old 2006-08-11, 10:22
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

These days they have amps with a tube pre section and a s.s. power section..
but I want to try out the other way around!
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2006-08-11, 13:18
*insert name here*
Jono

Meh, I want to try a tube power mobile phone.

Old 2006-08-11, 14:13
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:

Old 2006-08-11, 14:28
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

I've never been able to turn Cyclone up loud enough to distort. Believe me, I have tried. It gets so loud so fast that it can become painful to be near, but the tone remains pure and doesn't become shrill. I'm afraid of what would happen if it were ever maxed at 10. Anyone remember Hiroshima

As far as I now the Cyclone was discontinued. I'm not sure why but I bet it has to do with killing the sales of the Vmax. I played the Cyclone, Vmax, Shockwave, and different Mesa heads next to each other before I decided on the Cyclone. Money wasn't an issue. I just wanted something I really liked and for some reason pure S.S. Randall tone sounded the best to me.

Old 2006-08-11, 20:47
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I really really like my SS Randall amps, all pure solid state, like Soulinsane mentioned, none of that new tube driven ss hybrid amps that randall is making now. Mine is an older discontinued model so you wont be able to find it unless you look on ebay maybe. I'm also looking into a Tech 21 Trademark 300 head, that is one of the best ss amps out there IMO.

Last edited by ThornsOfHeaven200 : 2006-08-11 at 20:49.

Old 2006-08-11, 21:03
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

the crate shockwave is a good amp.
it can get plently loud. two 4 ohm cabs and i can almost guarantee you it will be loud enough.

Old 2006-08-11, 21:30
Fat Bastard
New Blood

Some amps you might want to consider are the Line 6 Spider models, among some others from Line 6.
Hughes and Kettner makes some good s.s. ams, with TONS of feature built in.
But i'll stick with the pretty glowing tubes.

Old 2006-08-12, 01:39
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

yeah i used to be real into SS, then i got my blue voodoo. I havent touched my shockwave in months.

Old 2006-08-12, 02:50
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Yeah thers no1 else like him, really unique growl and good singing voice, hard mix

Think my attitude stinks?? You should smell my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2006-08-12, 05:00
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

wrong thread?

Old 2006-08-12, 05:43
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThornsOfHeaven200
I really really like my SS Randall amps, all pure solid state, like Soulinsane mentioned, none of that new tube driven ss hybrid amps that randall is making now. Mine is an older discontinued model so you wont be able to find it unless you look on ebay maybe. I'm also looking into a Tech 21 Trademark 300 head, that is one of the best ss amps out there IMO.

Hybrid guitar amps are a giant steaming waste of time. Until they switch it around so the preamp is SS and the Power amps is tubes, its just a marketing gimmick. "But its got TOOOOBZSSS!!11!1!!"

Quote:

Old 2006-08-12, 06:12
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
Hybrid guitar amps are a giant steaming waste of time. Until they switch it around so the preamp is SS and the Power amps is tubes, its just a marketing gimmick. "But its got TOOOOBZSSS!!11!1!!"

That has been the best hybrid combo I've played so far as well.

S.S. pre with tube power amp.

Old 2006-08-12, 13:07
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

What you could do if you're interested in the S.S. preamp with a tube poweramp is to use rack gear. Think of all of the s.s. preamps you can use : GT-8, POD, Sansamp PSA-1 ( ask xdx about this one, one of the best s.s. preamps ever made ), ADA MP-1 ... and then all of the tube poweramps you can use ... I don't even need to list anything there.

If money were no concern and I had to have a S.S. rig, I would get a Cyclone with a really nice 4x12 cab of choice, probably a Marshall 1960A.

Old 2006-08-12, 14:31
Sycophant
Supreme Metalhead

Damn, I was wondering why Randall was plugging all this new tube stuff on their website. It sucks to hear that the Cyclone got axed. I already have a 1960 4x12 Marshall cab, luckily enough, which I haven't been able to use since my Flextone head got some kind of glitch and stopped booting up into the amp models, thus making it unplayable.
There seems to be a Cyclone out on Ebay now, it's at $550 with four days left. This time I'm gonna be smarter and try it out first before I buy it [something I should have probably done with my Flextone, or I'd be playing a 5150 today.]

Old 2006-08-13, 01:45
Hetoimasia
Metalhead

I might end up selling it, but....I love my VH140c, it's not as muddy as lot of people lead you to believe it is..

Old 2006-09-13, 21:18
Somnus
Metalhead

I'd like to slide in one question before the thread gets too old ;P

Are there any good s.s. combos ?

I know of the Cube 60 and the Trademark 60 but those really dont look like they could handle gigs in front of maybe 100-200 people.

I'm looking for something like the Trademark 300 or the Shockwave in a 2x12 combo basically, any ideas?

Edit: Please, anyone?
There it was. The final destiny. A sunrise that never came, still the lamp never faded away. Farewell was the word, and the afterglow was the brave morning. Rising and telling everyone, about the beauty of its Prologue.

Last edited by Somnus : 2006-09-19 at 00:05.

Old 2006-09-14, 00:13
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slabbefusk
Be sure to get cabs with low ohm or rewire them so that they are.
why is that?? i dno much about amps or electronics. but i like ss amps, since i can never play loud enough to make a tube amp sound nice

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-14, 03:11
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by k13m
why is that?? i dno much about amps or electronics. but i like ss amps, since i can never play loud enough to make a tube amp sound nice

That way you get the maximum overhead out of SS to maintain target tone. Higher Ohms cause the transistors in in SS amps to work harder, clip at lower volumes, brake up, and become shrill. That is undesirable for SS amps but great for tube distortion.

Old 2006-09-14, 03:57
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
Higher Ohms cause the transistors in in SS amps to work harder, clip at lower volumes, brake up, and become shrill. That is undesirable for SS amps but great for tube distortion.

Ding ding Grindchord if you're reading this here is another person saying what I said about hte THD hotplate. A large resistor (ohms) that make the amp work harder (same endstate output just having to work harder to get there).
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2006-09-14, 06:33
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

And I am a US Navy nuclear electronics tech ( ET2 )

Old 2006-09-14, 12:45
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
And I am a US Navy nuclear electronics tech ( ET2 )

yeah wtf do you know...
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Last edited by tmfreak : 2006-09-14 at 14:51.

Old 2006-09-14, 14:27
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
That way you get the maximum overhead out of SS to maintain target tone. Higher Ohms cause the transistors in in SS amps to work harder, clip at lower volumes, brake up, and become shrill. That is undesirable for SS amps but great for tube distortion.
ahh i see

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-14, 14:30
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
yeah wtf you do you know...

Quote:

Old 2006-09-14, 15:31
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I normally use 8 ohms with my SS amp and it sounds fine, but then again I dont play too loud. Just curious though, how much is "high ohms"?

Old 2006-09-15, 04:41
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

Im pretty happy with my Marshall VS100R head. Once you get to know it and how to properly set it up, its a decent amp. Ive probably got 5,000 hours or more on it

Old 2006-09-16, 01:49
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
one more question. say i have a tube amp, and i run it at as much ohms as i can (say 16 or so??) wuld this make a tube amp sound better cuz it has to work harder?? i guess so from what i understood from your story quoted.

but, will this also give the tubeamop that highvolume satured tube sound on lower volumes due to the high ohms?? i guess not but im not into electronics at all. it would be col though to be able to play a 100 watt tube amo with good satured tueb sound at low volumed without any hotplate colouring the sound someway

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-09-30, 17:06
Jopop
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
one more question. say i have a tube amp, and i run it at as much ohms as i can (say 16 or so??) wuld this make a tube amp sound better cuz it has to work harder?? i guess so from what i understood from your story quoted.

but, will this also give the tubeamop that highvolume satured tube sound on lower volumes due to the high ohms?? i guess not but im not into electronics at all. it would be col though to be able to play a 100 watt tube amo with good satured tueb sound at low volumed without any hotplate colouring the sound someway

Well, tube amps use an output transformer. The tubes really see like 4000++ ohms.. but the transformer lowers the output impedance so you can use speakers.

Old 2006-11-16, 03:09
DemonicSlaughteR
Metalhead

Quote:

from my understanding isnt 16 ohms is less than 2 ohms so the amp would work harder at 2 ohms and less at 16 ohms?

Old 2006-11-16, 03:16
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemonicSlaughteR
from my understanding isnt 16 ohms is less than 2 ohms so the amp would work harder at 2 ohms and less at 16 ohms?
mayeb this explains??

Quote:
Higher Ohms cause the transistors in in SS amps to work harder, clip at lower volumes, brake up, and become shrill. That is undesirable for SS amps but great for tube distortion.

the more ohms the harder the amp has to work

so low ohms for ss
high ohms for tubes

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-11-17, 19:20
Darkness-Of-Christ
New Blood

From my experience with solid state amps personally I do think that you loose some of the sound quality when the volume is turned up very high. I've got a Marshall MG100DFX and when I turn the main volume up to full the amp doesn't actually get much louder than it just sounds kinda bad to be frank. It's as though the amp can't cope with the distortion from my pedal so the sound just turns to shit at high volumes and doesn't get louder and clearer. It's lound enough with the volume at 3 to play in my house but I wouldn't use my solid state amp to play a gig.