MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2006-08-07, 17:45
JAMF
Senior Metalhead

I'm after the distinctive death metal sound

I'm finding it difficult to get the sound I'm after. The particular sound I like is that distinctive early death metal style bass sound found in Suffocation.

The opening bars in "Thrones of Blood" off the Pierced from Within album pretty much sum up the exact sound I'm after.

I asked a friend of mine who said the treble was up really high but I tried this and I dion't get that "twanging" sound.

Any help would be appreciated!

Old 2006-08-07, 22:02
basstendencies
Senior Metalhead

suffocation

i LOVE his tone on pierced. try turning up your mid levels to make the sound cut through a bit more(try the tone knob on your bass, and if thats not enough, get to fucking with your EQ settings). a very simple way to make your bass cut through like that is to play with a pick. just dont mention it around here cause a mob of junior high schoolers will hunt you down and force you to use your fingers.

Old 2006-08-08, 05:01
Subsonic6string
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by basstendencies
a very simple way to make your bass cut through like that is to play with a pick. just dont mention it around here cause a mob of junior high schoolers will hunt you down and force you to use your fingers.

Not to mention a horde of us longtime veteran purists, too!!!!

Cheers.

Old 2006-08-08, 15:52
JAMF
Senior Metalhead

Thanks I'll try boosting the mids and I already play with a plectrum anyway and think it sounds better. If someone doesn't like that, then they can tell me how wrong I am over a message forum on the internet, that'll show me.

Old 2006-08-08, 17:17
Subsonic6string
Senior Metalhead

One of the other things to look into for a specific tone is what cabs you are using. My personal preference (right now, that is) is an 18" with a 4x10" cab on top of it...just have to match ohmage though...

Cheers.

Old 2006-08-08, 18:51
basstendencies
Senior Metalhead

heh, well i prefer fingers usually, but different strokes for different folks eh? subsonic is 100% right about your amplification having an effect. along the same line of thought is the bass youre playing. both fenders and rickenbackers are notorious for their midrange, and could really help you find that mid range growl youre looking for. what kind of bass are you currently playing?

Old 2006-08-10, 16:13
Stachio
Metalhead

Chris Richards played with his fingers. You can tell by the attack of the notes. I would suggest boosting your low mids like basstendencies said. Also, try boosting your input gain until you're on the verge of clipping.
I'm not sure what he was using back then, but it sounds like maybe Ampeg was part of the equation, too.

Old 2006-08-15, 23:34
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic6string
One of the other things to look into for a specific tone is what cabs you are using. My personal preference (right now, that is) is an 18" with a 4x10" cab on top of it...just have to match ohmage though...

Cheers.

yes, i need to replace my backline 410 with some kind of big ass speaker, im not getting too much from my lows with 2 4x10 cabs

+1000000 to that veteran purist part,
how could you in your right mind say that people who play all fingers and are against picks are junior high students, i guess that makes webster a 6th grader.

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2006-08-16, 13:46
epitaph
Senior Metalhead

If I understood that right, then I can say that Alex has nothing against pick players. Since I've seen the question asked many times.

Old 2006-08-17, 13:32
basstendencies
Senior Metalhead

didnt you know? alex webster spends his free time roaming south florida laying waste to anyone and everyone whos ever had the audacity to play the bass with a pick. oy.

on a more relative note to the original topic, the simplest way to get a more cutting midrange tone is to play over the bridge pick up jaco style. try that as well.

Old 2006-08-20, 03:33
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixsicsix
yes, i need to replace my backline 410 with some kind of big ass speaker, im not getting too much from my lows with 2 4x10 cabs

+1000000 to that veteran purist part,
how could you in your right mind say that people who play all fingers and are against picks are junior high students, i guess that makes webster a 6th grader.

Lol, 16 year old verteran purist. One day you will learn....

+1 to the playing over the bridge pickup comment.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut