MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2006-07-22, 22:19
Amadeus
Quantum.

Is this something?

I won't so much as raise an eyebrow if this thread was promptly closed along with a link to one that answers the question, but since my wondering is as to what category the stuff belongs to my counciousness is clean.

Have a look at these simple riff parts:

g ------10-b12(14)p10-----
d -10h12-------------12-10

g ------9-b11(13)-11-9---
d -9-11-----------------11

Top of my head, two versions of a type of riff part that I've been stumbling upon time and time again lately. I'm a bit curious about wether it's something special theory-wise or simply a progression that many muscians find to be nice, myself included.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2006-07-25, 09:04
Unanything
Post-whore

I think it just has particular melodic value.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2006-07-25, 16:14
Kalmahswamp
Post-whore

Pentatonic, Blues, or Modal depending how it relates to the rest of the song/interlude. I don't know if that's what you're asking.

Old 2006-08-15, 13:25
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Sorry I accidentally double posted here. I hit send and then hit stop to change my post but I guess it was too late. Just read my next post and nevermind this one.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Last edited by Rattlehead : 2006-08-15 at 13:28.

Old 2006-08-15, 13:27
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Looks to me like in the first tab the 12th fret on the D is the root note (so that what is played is the minor 7th and the root note on the D string and the minor 3rd, the 4th, and the 5th on the G string).

The second tab is almost identical except that the three last notes are different and the whole thing is transposed down a semitone to Db (ie it is moved down one fret).
Of course, like Kalmahswamp said, it depends on the context, what I said just seemed like the most likely possibility, since it is pentatonic.

Just a question regarding your method of tabbing, since I've never seen bends written exactly that way before:
Does it say play 10th fret on G, then play 12th, then bend one full tone, then pull off to 10th fret? Usually people but the "b" for bend after the note that is to be bent, or use a ^1 or ^1/2 symbol to indicate a bend [I think I've also seen 5^(7) somewhere].
Just curious because your way seems odd to me...
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.