MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2006-07-19, 21:49
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Moving strap peg

Does anybody have any tips or info on moving a strap peg? I have an SG-style guitar (esp viper) and the top peg's being on the back of the guitar is finally starting to piss me off. I want to move it up and to the side so I have better balance (current position causes the neck to swing horizontal or lower (relative to the ground) and I can't play like that. Is there a certain spot on the top thing (horn I guess you'd call it) that it should go? And what tools will I need?

Old 2006-07-19, 21:57
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
Does anybody have any tips or info on moving a strap peg? I have an SG-style guitar (esp viper) and the top peg's being on the back of the guitar is finally starting to piss me off. I want to move it up and to the side so I have better balance (current position causes the neck to swing horizontal or lower (relative to the ground) and I can't play like that. Is there a certain spot on the top thing (horn I guess you'd call it) that it should go? And what tools will I need?

You are going to have the same sort of "fall/lean" even if you move it. The thing with the SG style guitars is that all the weight is in the neck and headstock, so it does that.

As for moving it to the horn, thats a bad idea. You are likely to break the horn off if you put too much weight on it.

Seriously, rethink this.

Awesome.

Old 2006-07-19, 22:14
jazzmetalguitar
Senior Metalhead

i've seen them moved to the inside of the horn. but do NOT put it on the tip.

Old 2006-07-20, 01:59
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmetalguitar
i've seen them moved to the inside of the horn. but do NOT put it on the tip.

Its pointless considering you aren't going to get it to balance any better. I can imagine that moving it there would make it a little less comfortable, but thats just me.

But do not attempt this if you are just trying to balance it. You won't get it to work.

Awesome.

Old 2006-07-20, 02:06
jazzmetalguitar
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissection
Its pointless considering you aren't going to get it to balance any better. I can imagine that moving it there would make it a little less comfortable, but thats just me.

But do not attempt this if you are just trying to balance it. You won't get it to work.

haha...as long as we are speaking opinions. why did you get an esp viper anyyway?! plus. is this a true ESP? or a LTD? cuz i wouldn't mod a true ESP. ever.

Old 2006-07-20, 02:14
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

I wouldn't even mod the Epi i have. It may be an Epiphone, but it plays like a dream for Spaz and Grindcore...

Awesome.

Old 2006-07-20, 02:31
jazzmetalguitar
Senior Metalhead

damn. i can't imagine playing spaz/grind on an SG. my hands are wayyyy tooo small for the neck. i mean i could play like daughters on it. but nothing like see you next tuesday, robinson, gaussian surface, or anything requiring me to move my tiny lil' fingers at a decent speed.

Old 2006-07-20, 02:55
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

You have to move around and do it to get yourself used to it.
Its a great guitar for the genre cause it forces you to get used to doing something other than standing there.

Your arm'll get tired if you don't, so you have to swing that shit around.

Awesome.

Old 2006-07-20, 04:13
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzmetalguitar
haha...as long as we are speaking opinions. why did you get an esp viper anyyway?! plus. is this a true ESP? or a LTD? cuz i wouldn't mod a true ESP. ever.

LTD. And what's wrong with vipers?

Old 2006-07-20, 10:51
fatdanny
Post-whore

I did this on my Ibanez rocket roll II (flying V shape) and it worked a treat. When I got it, one peg was on the back of the neck plate, the other right on the tip of one of the V spikes - it swung the head to the floor horribly.
You can test to see if you can improve the balance by carefully balancing it on your fingers or tying string to various points on the guitar (do this over a soft surface in case you drop it). I haven't tried it with an SG so I don't know it will work - but you can get an idea of whether it will without drilling holes in it.

Old 2006-07-20, 11:39
jazzmetalguitar
Senior Metalhead

A) which viper is it?
B) i just don't like vipers. i opted for the MH-1000.

Old 2006-07-20, 14:49
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
LTD. And what's wrong with vipers?

Nothing, just the weight problem.
Some of us (like me) prefer them for what we play though.

Awesome.

Old 2006-07-20, 17:26
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

I used to have an AX series Ibanez which has a similar body style and the same neck dive problems. I moved the strap button from the tip of the horn to the neck heel and it seemed to solve the problem.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Old 2006-07-20, 22:28
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

It's the ESP 30th anniversary version of the viper (basicly a VP-500). It has ebony fretboard, mahogany body, grover tuners, emg 81/85, earvana nut, 24 frets, everything I was looking for in a guitar.

Old 2006-08-08, 00:43
ideakiller
New Blood

I have the same Viper hang up........i love the guitar in a big way....I did a search on google to see how many pics I could find where the button has been moved to the horn. I found four of them.....one is the dude from Crowbar who plays a 301...er something like that.

Its VERY important to note that a Gibson SG is MUCH thinner than a Viper....the horn on a Viper is thick as a brick.....just an observation from owning and playing both....the Viper has won the crown tho I must say. Hands down a better instrument in my opinion...

Old 2006-08-09, 14:29
HermanRi!
Post-whore

my main and only guitar is a viper copy, and i moved the stap peg from the neck joint to the back of the upper horn. its made the neck dive problem worse!

im thinkin about moving it to the tip of the horn or somewhere near there. if it works and solves the problems, i'l post pics.

Old 2006-08-09, 20:24
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

I wonder if getting a leather strap or a strap with a leather pad on it would help? Since it'd grip your clothes and hold the neck up?