MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2006-07-18, 13:34
Amadeus
Quantum.

Tempo, ooo where are you?

Now I can't restrain myself, when the possibility to ask this question on a international forum is so readily at hand.
Playing a certain tempo is nothing strange in itself, but I'm wondering how you drummers know that you're playing say 140 and not 146? I think about it often, just how you know when playing a new-written song to get the wished for tempo? Is it feeling altogether, do you have some tricks, or is it the metronome all the way?

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2006-07-18, 16:21
low-tech
Post-whore

its easy to identify usually the range of tempo of a song. each hihat hit can be a quarternote, sometimes an 8th or 16th

as far as telling the exact number, can you tell the exact tempo from playing a guitar? we all have a basic intuition of that range. say like 120 or 140 but theres no way to tell unless you have a little gizmo called the drum bug, its like a speedometer, if you will.

Old 2006-07-18, 18:09
Amadeus
Quantum.

Yes yes, I see that, but I wonder just as much about a song that one of your band mates comes to rehearsel with one day and says - play this in 150...?

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2006-07-18, 18:22
low-tech
Post-whore

its a reasonable request, you just might not be doing exactly 150 tho. just as long as the drummer regularly uses a metronome and has the basic idea of how tempo is gauged and how notes are identified in context, your band can achieve something close enough to 150

Old 2006-07-19, 19:42
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

Yeah, I find that because I practice with a metronome at a wide range of tempos, I can be reasonably close to whatever is required of me. You can't be EXACTLY sure without measuring it somehow, but using a metronome a lot will sharpen your timing.