MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2006-07-06, 22:27
Chrispaks
New Blood

How to hold sticks (for metal)

I know at least 5 friends who play drums, which is a lot (or not).

They, ironically, all play different genres.
1. Punk
2. Emo
3. Rap (WTF)
4. Hip-hop (WTF)
5. Traditional

None of them play metal, the emo kid just does double bass and almost no hi hats/ride.

What would be the best way to hold the sticks, for rolls and regular playing? Ive had FIVE different ways told to me, and there has to be a better way before my joints give out on me.

Old 2006-07-07, 07:40
low-tech
Post-whore

read the thread below this one

Old 2006-07-07, 15:45
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Weld sticks to some medievil gauntlents.

Old 2006-07-09, 03:58
The Execrator
Noob lud

There is no best way to hold sticks, its personal preference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2006-07-09, 11:36
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

But there ARE BETTER ways. like dont hold it with your teeth first try it with yuor hands to begin with.

Old 2006-07-09, 16:04
The Execrator
Noob lud

You are a fucking genius.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2006-07-09, 16:24
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
first try it with yuor hands to begin with.

Ahh fuck you beat me to it.

I haven't played drums very much, but I always liked holding sticks with my hands.

Old 2006-07-10, 08:44
low-tech
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrispaks
I know at least 5 friends who play drums, which is a lot (or not).

They, ironically, all play different genres.
1. Punk
2. Emo
3. Rap (WTF)
4. Hip-hop (WTF)
5. Traditional

None of them play metal, the emo kid just does double bass and almost no hi hats/ride.

What would be the best way to hold the sticks, for rolls and regular playing? Ive had FIVE different ways told to me, and there has to be a better way before my joints give out on me.

actually go traditional, i wanna see blasts from that grip, im too lazy to learn it myself

Old 2006-07-10, 10:57
travI56669
Supreme Metalhead

Old 2006-07-10, 11:41
low-tech
Post-whore

damn!

Old 2006-07-13, 08:35
travI56669
Supreme Metalhead

Yeah that dude kicks some ass.

Old 2006-07-22, 09:20
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

I hate traditional grip, may it rot in hell. Most people who play trad grip switch to matched grip at some point. I'll explain my personal preference here and see if it helps.

Ok, this is hard to explain...

1.I start with an open palm. I put the stick in the little dip just where the fingers start then curl them around the stick gently.

2. Then I put my thumb on top of my index finger, so the tip of my thumb ends right at the top joint.

3. Then I angle both of my hands so the index finger is sort of on top and the sticks rest in a sort of a wide V on any flat surface. I never let my thumb go on top or under the stick as that causes pain (basically some of the shock from the stick bounce goes into the thumb).

4. I hold the stick very loosely, so anyone can take it out of my hand with very little effort. I use a drop-and-catch technique where I use the bounce of the stick as much as possible. Basically, I barely hold the stick.

The bitching thing with holding sticks very litghly is that it takes a long time to learn to control them, and for about 6 months or so it means that sticks constantly fly out of your hands, but in the end it means more sensitive,speedy playing with less effort. Just be careful, I pretty much obliterated my left wrist using this technique wrong.

Old 2006-08-09, 18:16
DrummerMom
New Blood

scary

Contest ends 8/31/06 !

Old 2006-08-13, 02:15
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

It's not scary, just difficult to explain. Holding sticks is pretty intuitive business and there is very little that can go wrong. I took a picture of how I do it, but remember that holding sticks is very personal. I play matched grip myself, others do the wanky traditional grip, but it's up to you. You have to find the best balance spot on the stick yourself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stick_hold.JPG (71.0 KB, 117 views)

Old 2006-08-13, 07:04
mrs. malicious
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
Weld sticks to some medievil gauntlents.

this is the best way to go.

Old 2006-08-13, 07:20
low-tech
Post-whore

traditional is cool, mostly the jazz crowd does it. some people start out out still using it.

i hate stick tricks tho, thats useless. but either traditional or matched doesnt really impact techniques

Old 2006-08-13, 09:13
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Well, you'll find that most trad grip players will switch their grip to matched to play certain things. I don't like it, but as I said, drums are very personal. My drum teacher is a jazz player by the way and abhores trad grip.

Old 2006-09-01, 10:24
maggot666
Metalhead

Cool

It's up to how you handle your sticks, just remember epmhasise your hands movement!

Old 2006-09-02, 19:30
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCrimson
It's not scary, just difficult to explain. Holding sticks is pretty intuitive business and there is very little that can go wrong. I took a picture of how I do it, but remember that holding sticks is very personal. I play matched grip myself, others do the wanky traditional grip, but it's up to you. You have to find the best balance spot on the stick yourself.

That's similar to the way I do it too. Mostly with my right hand whenever I perhaps play on the ride.

But most of the time I just play using regular matched grip, with the thumb on top of the stick.

If I ever do play traditional, it's only for screwing around, and I can only do it left handed, meaning my left hand is the hand I use to wrap my hand around the stick the way you would usually do it with your right hand. Can't do buzz rolls if I had it in my right hand that way. Wierd.

The biggest problem when doing buzz rolls or open double stroke rolls is I eventually start sticking my pinky and index fingers out. I try my best not to, but if I do a roll long enough, I'll end up looking like a queer at a tea party.

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2006-09-03, 14:53
maggot666
Metalhead

I cannot sometimes control my fingers when I do some or the rollings! But when you emphasise It, Whew, I got It perfectly!

What the fuck you looking at!? If you hate me, Oh god I hate u too!