MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2006-06-26, 06:45
thefluffy
New Blood

I could really use some help.

I want vocals like Job For a Cowboy, the sweet highs, the brutal lows, and the sweet pig vox.

My problem is, i cant do it.

My lows : All my lows come from my throat, and it hurts like crazy. I know that if i hurts, im not doing it right. If i just yell it and try to get distortion that way, it comes out like Panteras type stuff. How do i do it?

My highs : I was told that people have a voice crossover from lows to highs, when i try to scream, my voice stays in the lower cords so it sounds terrible, how do i fix this?

The pig vox : i can do the inwards, but he does outwards. How?

Thanks for any help you give me. God knows i need it.

xXx

Old 2006-06-26, 07:24
younguitarist
Post-whore

Do it like this

BREEE BREEE BREEE BREEE

Old 2006-06-26, 15:41
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Sometimes to get those highs you need to tip your head back a bit and open your throat up a bit.

Old 2006-06-26, 17:26
Amadeus
Quantum.

Automatic, but anyway. That "really" really did it for me.

How much though do you give to breathing in general? And breathing from the diaphragm? And how much time have you spent just "singing" single tones?

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2006-06-26, 17:32
thefluffy
New Blood

Breathing, very little.

Singing single tones? Explain this please.

Old 2006-06-26, 17:41
Amadeus
Quantum.

I can, of course, only talk about my personal experience.

These days I can shift between "clean" singing - musicals, pop and so on - rock singing and raspy trash; but all of it is founded on the fact that I've trained for hours on end with a piano, singing C-C#-D etc. For me, doing any of the cool vocal show-offs without this kind of practice was the equivalent of trying to calculate an economical orbit to Mars before I knew what a piece of paper was.

As for the breathing... is it really that difficult to figer out? Whenever you actually try to emulate a sound, make sure that it starts down in the lungs, with plenty of air. That should be enough of a hint.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

Old 2006-06-26, 17:42
Panda
Senior Metalhead

i dont wanna create a new thread for this but im working on my vocals for my band supporting our lead singer. i found my singing voice is not too bad but when i really push it i sometimes get a horrible titillation in my throat which makes me cough immediately. this sounds stupid but after 30 mins i cant go on with screaming. anyone had the same/similiar problem or knows a soltution for this one?

Old 2006-06-26, 17:44
thefluffy
New Blood

So go for more of a breathing out type thing then closing up my throat and making it low and distorted there?

Old 2006-06-27, 04:51
Amadeus
Quantum.

I honestly don't know what I do with the various muscles, since there is layers of skin and other assorted organic material in the way but - always make sure that it is your whole air circulation system that is doing the work, not just the throat, and that when your band wants you to hit an F, "distorted" or not, then you bloody well hit an F.

- Carl Sagan

Old 2006-06-27, 15:01
Amadeus
Quantum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panda
i dont wanna create a new thread for this but im working on my vocals for my band supporting our lead singer. i found my singing voice is not too bad but when i really push it i sometimes get a horrible titillation in my throat which makes me cough immediately. this sounds stupid but after 30 mins i cant go on with screaming. anyone had the same/similiar problem or knows a soltution for this one?

If you're doing it right - PRACTICE, practice, practice...

If you're doing it wrong - stop

- Carl Sagan

Old 2006-06-27, 17:03
Panda
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
If you're doing it right - PRACTICE, practice, practice...

If you're doing it wrong - stop

right or wrong concerning to what you said before or do you refer to any other hints?

Old 2006-06-27, 20:05
Amadeus
Quantum.

Thing is, if you do the old mistake of forcing it all out with your throat only, you're going to end up with your voice fucked up. However, if you make sure that all the strenght comes from the lungs, and just use the throat for steering, so to speak, you will also get your voice fucked up, but it won't be permanent.
Check up on diaphragm breathing, it's a great help.

- Carl Sagan

Old 2006-06-28, 11:51
Panda
Senior Metalhead

okay thx