MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2006-05-17, 12:49
poison_audio
New Blood

Microphone Problems

I don't know if this has been answered, but I did search around. My problem is that I have a pretty good Phil Anselmo type growl thing going on, but whenever I sing into my mic and record myself, my growls and screams don't sound very distorted. They just sound like I'm pulling a James Hetfield. Is it maybe my mic(Peavey PVi100)? Sorry if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, but I seriously need help. Thanks.

Old 2006-05-17, 19:00
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poison_audio
I don't know if this has been answered, but I did search around. My problem is that I have a pretty good Phil Anselmo type growl thing going on, but whenever I sing into my mic and record myself, my growls and screams don't sound very distorted. They just sound like I'm pulling a James Hetfield. Is it maybe my mic(Peavey PVi100)? Sorry if I sound like I don't know what I'm talking about, but I seriously need help. Thanks.

Have you put it against music or just listening to it raw?
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2006-05-17, 20:06
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

you probably sounds like phil in your head, just like when you speak, others here your voice way different than yourself. you always sound tougher in your head

Old 2006-05-17, 22:16
poison_audio
New Blood

I have a program that rips the vocals off songs so I have been recording myself while those play. As for the comment on me sounding like Phil, I didn't mean to sound like an arrogant a-hole. I didn't think I sounded anything like Phil until my friends asked me if I would do "Walk" because they thought my voiced matched his pretty well. I also read that Phil has used some effects so that he could get a really raw sound. Is that true?

Old 2006-05-18, 16:57
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
you probably sounds like phil in your head, just like when you speak, others here your voice way different than yourself. you always sound tougher in your head

Isn't that kinda the truth. Or at least since i've noticed doing recordings and listening to my vocals and voice many times. It seems that we perceieve deeper sounding voice with more bass added. Weird how that isn't the truth especially when you listen to you're own voice through say isolation headphones.

Not to mention if you wanted to you could post an example of what you're talking about and we can go from there.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2006-07-18, 15:35
squibee
New Blood

When you sing melodicly, I know that you can plug one ear and you will hear what you really sound like, do you think this would work with growling? If it does work you can compare that to what is on the mic.