MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2006-04-28, 02:48
MeTal 805
Senior Metalhead

OpinionS...

Would you guys suggest a Mt-2 metalzone through my gt3500 crate half stack or am i good with it alone.....? I heard the Mt-2 gives you badd ass lead tones...?

Old 2006-04-28, 03:13
HalfmastTrousers
Supreme Metalhead

not really. the mid frequencies are kinda wierd on it so that you really cant get a good fat lead tone.

with my own time role your own innocence by
grab on to my sleeve the one that grabs at your ankle
debate to understand that we all have a flaw
then fail to represent your life as you know it
god grant you one wish to turn back the time... correct and create

me and my star
matthew good night
you know by law when you'll be forgiven
maria my star
matthew goodnight
you know my lord when you'll be forgiven

Old 2006-04-28, 03:43
*insert name here*
Jono

How much is your budget?

Old 2006-04-28, 03:43
NuMustDie
Senior Metalhead

If harsh trebly leads is your thing, giver.

DEATH'SRIG

Old 2006-04-28, 03:53
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

If you don't like what the GT3500 is doing already, then replace it with something else, because I can guarantee you that a Metal Master or MT-2 is'nt going to sound any better.

Old 2006-04-28, 05:25
MeTal 805
Senior Metalhead

well my gt3500 gives me a good heavy tone but when it is played in high volumes it gets alot of feedback.U know whenever u pump up the volume on the solo channel u get bad noise how can i get rid off that?...will the metal zone help?....

Old 2006-04-28, 06:42
etherealprince
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeTal 805
U know whenever u pump up the volume on the solo channel u get bad noise how can i get rid off that?...will the metal zone help?....

The only thing the Metal Zone will do is add MORE noise.

You need yourself a noise supressor. NS-2 is good, I use the build in NS on my GT6. But the guys around here know more about it than me.

Old 2006-04-28, 16:51
TheLeviathan
Senior Metalhead

If you are in America, get an ISP Noise Decimator.

Anybody know any places in Britain where I can pick one of these up?

Old 2006-04-28, 22:04
Amadeus
Quantum.

Not me, but I can add a sidetrack question:
Why does it help to put a noise gate BEFORE the amp if it's not a pedal that's causing the noise? I thought the problem was inside the amp, not the signal from the guitar.

As for the metal zone, try it out and if you like it go for it, but with a stack like that I can't see why you should.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2006-04-29, 00:17
TheLeviathan
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Why does it help to put a noise gate BEFORE the amp if it's not a pedal that's causing the noise? I thought the problem was inside the amp, not the signal from the guitar.

As for the metal zone, try it out and if you like it go for it, but with a stack like that I can't see why you should.

You can put noisegates in the loop I believe.

Old 2006-04-29, 01:27
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

I don't know why you would need any more gain, etc. than that amp already has.

Old 2006-04-29, 01:33
John Holland
Banned

Quote:
well my gt3500 gives me a good heavy tone but when it is played in high volumes it gets alot of feedback.U know whenever u pump up the volume on the solo channel u get bad noise how can i get rid off that?...will the metal zone help?....

I can also tell you, I owned one of these heads, and this thing just did'nt like being turned up past 3. If you want my honest opinion, you should sell that head and get a Randall Cyclone or a VH140. These amplifiers have a similiar tone to that Shockwave, but there's a reason why I've only seen one band ever use a Shockwave live, and I can't count on both hands how many have used either the Cyclone or the VH140 live.

Old 2006-04-29, 03:56
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLeviathan
You can put noisegates in the loop I believe.

That officially answered a standing quesiton i've had for forever and a day. Never even thought of that.

How dumb am i
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2006-04-29, 07:24
MeTal 805
Senior Metalhead

so your saying to sell my shockwave...?lol
the shockwave is badd ass....

Old 2006-04-29, 15:31
Timur
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus

I think it might be that the little noise from the guitar and pedals is the noise that gets boosted alot in the amp as it only comes when compression occurs (distortion)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killjoy
A DOD Death Metal pedal works just fine, but only with a decent Marshall. I run mine thru an MG30 watt combo, and it's brutal.

Old 2006-04-30, 19:35
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

the reason why you dont see many bands using a shockwave is because its only like 2 years old and its made by crate, which is not the most popular brand. where as the ampeg vh140 has been out since the early 90's.

I own a shockwave and the solo channel has much better sound than the mt2 could ever give you. its a good amp.

Old 2006-04-30, 19:36
John Holland
Banned

Nope. The Shockwave has been the Tidalwave for a LONG time. http://www.crateamps.com/html/product.cfm?pid=110

Last edited by John Holland : 2006-04-30 at 19:39.

Old 2006-04-30, 19:41
MeTal 805
Senior Metalhead

hey deathcS i have a question........do u use a boss ns-2 on your shockwave?
because u know in high volumes youll get alot of feedback when your not playing....or when you pause...etc...

Old 2006-04-30, 19:59
John Holland
Banned

Well here's a question for you ( I also owned one of these ) ... what is your actual master volume when the thing starts feeding back?

Old 2006-05-01, 02:21
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
Nope. The Shockwave has been the Tidalwave for a LONG time. http://www.crateamps.com/html/product.cfm?pid=110

how long? looks pretty modern.

Old 2006-05-01, 02:24
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Quote:
hey deathcS i have a question........do u use a boss ns-2 on your shockwave?
because u know in high volumes youll get alot of feedback when your not playing....or when you pause...etc...

no. The only thing I use on it is a 31 band EQ. It helps a lot since i think it has too much bass alone.
I dont get much feedback, but i dont really play that loud with it that much. most amps will feedback if you're playing loud.

Old 2006-05-01, 07:20
MeTal 805
Senior Metalhead

well i cant try it out right i leave it at practice but i think it gets feedback when the knob is a tiny bit more than halfway.......

Old 2006-05-02, 23:44
John Holland
Banned

Yeah, it was past about halfway that my Crate just started to choke on itself. Up until then you could hear it starting to break up enough to be undesirable, but then after 5 it just did'nt seem that concerned with being an amplifier.

And the Tidalwave has had two and a half years to its name, at the very least. That's about all I could find out on it from Crate, from looking at the date on the manual they had for it on the site ... There's this local band however, one plays a Tidalwave and one plays a Cyclone ... and at very show I see from them, I can't even hear the Tidalwave at all ( and Steve has it maxed out ), the Cyclone eats it alive.

Old 2006-05-03, 00:37
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Yo metal 805... how far away from the amp are you when you're playing... that always makes a huge difference. And another thing... keep a hand muting your strings when you're not playing... or turn off the volume... Feedback WILL happen at high volumes... because if the volume is high enough, theres not alot else you can do to stop feedback without sacrificing tone.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2006-05-03, 01:44
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
Yeah, it was past about halfway that my Crate just started to choke on itself. Up until then you could hear it starting to break up enough to be undesirable, but then after 5 it just did'nt seem that concerned with being an amplifier.

And the Tidalwave has had two and a half years to its name, at the very least. That's about all I could find out on it from Crate, from looking at the date on the manual they had for it on the site ... There's this local band however, one plays a Tidalwave and one plays a Cyclone ... and at very show I see from them, I can't even hear the Tidalwave at all ( and Steve has it maxed out ), the Cyclone eats it alive.

so this 2 and a half years is this 'LONG' time before the shockwave came out. Thats not much against my point of the vh140 having been out since the early 90's.
that person using the tidalwave probably doesn't have it EQed well enough.
besides i dont give a shit about some local band.

john, maybe you would have had better luck with the shockwave if you didn't use an odd array of bass and guitar cabs.

Old 2006-05-03, 06:18
MeTal 805
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
Yo metal 805... how far away from the amp are you when you're playing... that always makes a huge difference. And another thing... keep a hand muting your strings when you're not playing... or turn off the volume... Feedback WILL happen at high volumes... because if the volume is high enough, theres not alot else you can do to stop feedback without sacrificing tone.

im about 4 feet away from the amp.....yeah always do sumthing just to not get that feedback like strumm it before raising the volume

also what would be better in cutting feedback buying an equalizer.....or buying a noisegate pedal(ns-2)?

Old 2006-05-03, 17:47
GUITARFETUS
Senior Metalhead

id say the ns-2...becouse its cool...and it also helps take away that annoying hands touching your guitar strings sound in between songs...i dont think the EQ will do that..and the threshold is adjustable so..yea its cool i like it...i have a quick question while im here. was it established that the boss NS-2 can be put in the fx loop and work great??? ive been wanting to do this.

Old 2006-05-03, 21:32
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

i've never had a problem with feedback. what kind of pickups are you using?

Old 2006-05-05, 04:23
John Holland
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathCS
that person using the tidalwave probably doesn't have it EQed well enough.

He had it maxed out on every knob except the gain, and with a BBE, and Nils with his Cyclone had his volume about halfway and Steven could'nt be heard. I just hope he's sold the damned thing.

Old 2006-05-05, 05:00
MeTal 805
Senior Metalhead

i have a Ibanez rg 220 stock pickups.....