MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands

Old 2006-04-27, 12:36
axis and allies
New Blood

I don't care if this is old news, fuck deicide anyway.

From what I've heard, not to mentioned seen half the shit they put out, that Deicide is a satanic band. I've been up for a while now and came across some information about the band that made me chuckle.

"DEICIDE guitarist Ralph Santolla spoke to Chile's Las Últimas Noticias regarding the cancellation of the group's Feb. 21 show in Valparaiso. The concert, which was eventually replaced with a gig in nearby Quilpue (before that show was also pulled), was reportedly called off as a result of the continuing controversy surrounding DEICIDE's appearance in the country — where a DEICIDE fan murdered an Italian Catholic priest in 2004 — and the band's promotional poster for the concert, which featured an image of Christ with a bullet hole in the middle of his forehead."

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y1...icide_chile.jpg

"Look, I'm Catholic and I'm against Satanism," Santolla is quoted as saying, according to Las Últimas Noticias. "I do understand the church, but I only want to play my guitar and have a good time."

What's your opinion of the promo posters used in Chile?

"That made me really furious," Santolla said. "They do not have the right to do that; they didn't ask us for permission to use that image and we do not have anything to do with it. I would never approve something like that... it's stupid and it's sick. The people who made it are really pretty sick."

Old 2006-04-27, 12:51
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Deicide suck anyway.

Old 2006-04-27, 13:42
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

The poster looks shit.
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2006-04-27, 15:28
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

I believe that Deicide didn't have anything to do with that poster. They'd have done a much more realistic, detailed Christ, who actually seemed to have been shot in the head, rather than some crappy Shroud of Turin graphic with a bullet-hole sumperimposed.

If Chile really has a problem with Deicide they should just make them 'vanish.' Their government's good at that.

Old 2006-04-27, 15:46
newHELLonEARTH
slack as fuck

Thats just stupid.

Fucking on the couch while posting on Metaltabs and getting caught by your mother....

Priceless!

Old 2006-04-28, 00:58
*insert name here*
Jono

Doesnt neccesarily look like 'christ' anyway.

Old 2006-04-28, 01:18
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

The guitarist of Deicide is catholic?
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2006-04-28, 01:36
Doktorskell
Senior Metalhead

Why are the Chileans so offended by shock tactic symbolism anyway?

Christians need to get a life

Besides. Now that the Brothers grim left Deicide i wouldnt see them anymore. Have you seen any recent pics of Benton? He looks like an evil santa claus

Old 2006-04-28, 02:06
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
Deicide suck anyway.

i like some stuff on and before insineratehymn, after that they suck

Old 2006-04-28, 02:16
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktorskell

Besides. Now that the Brothers grim left Deicide i wouldnt see them anymore. Have you seen any recent pics of Benton? He looks like an evil santa claus

Agree. You don't like it. Don't watch it/listen to it.

Yeah man the Hoffmans were wicked. I loved their sweeps on Scars Of The Crucifix.

And yeah Glen is a nerd.

If I were Benton I would ditch Ralph and Jack and get the dudes from Immolation. Now that would be cool. I mean Jack is alright but I don't think he can manage those solos that the Hoffmans did.

P.S. Is it just me or does that picture look more like a thin Charles Manson than Jesus? Or am I just blind?

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2006-04-28, 02:50
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedragon
i like some stuff on and before insineratehymn, after that they suck

I liked Scars, the song that is, I bought Deicide beacause everyone always says OMG that album is amazing its brutal its great its the best ever and they jus sucked after it, well Deicide is a shitty boring album. Although, the leads really are great I'll give it that.

Old 2006-04-28, 05:04
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher
I mean Jack is alright but I don't think he can manage those solos that the Hoffmans did.

P.S. Is it just me or does that picture look more like a thin Charles Manson than Jesus? Or am I just blind?

What the hell drugs are you on? Saying Jack can't play Deicide solos. Ha! Those solos are cool, but they're not really all that hard, especially for someone who wrote and played in Cannibal Corpse!

Oh, and I thought it looked like Charlie too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?

Old 2006-04-28, 13:56
humancorpse
Post-whore

^ Agreed. Deicide`s solos never really impressed me anyway. And I`ve also heard that alot of them was actually written by Ralp Santolla. Apperently, he was Eric`s guitar teacher.

Old 2006-04-28, 14:45
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by humancorpse
^ Agreed. Deicide`s solos never really impressed me anyway. And I`ve also heard that alot of them was actually written by Ralp Santolla. Apperently, he was Eric`s guitar teacher.

But Santolla's in the band now right... so it all evens out.

Oh and Infinity, I think it's an amazing album. Especially considering what other bands were doing during the time. Nah, Fuck the haters. Deicide are a great band.

PST is right Deicide wouldn't do a poster like that, it looks like it was stencilled anyway.

And.. Santolla is Catholic? Bahhaahahhaha! In fucking Deicide. Hello? World's biggest contradiction?!??!

Oh and deicides leads are great, great contrast etc.

Old 2006-04-28, 14:48
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

deicide lead rues but songs suck

Old 2006-04-28, 16:40
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:

You would be offended if your views were smashed by a band. You probably wouldn't pay any attention to it, but when something is thrown in your face, you'd have something to say.

In Latin America, people are extremely religious. To put down on their savior is a personal attack on them and their beliefs, and this is why they are offended.

And the whole "Christians need to get a life" thing is idiotic, but I'll refrain from even going there.

Awesome.

Old 2006-04-28, 18:47
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Christians need to get an eternal life.

The Chileans aren't just reacting out of normal strong South American feelings about Catholicism (though you'd find out pretty quickly down there that it's a dumb thing to crack jokes about Jesus or the Virgin Mary); their emotions are further amplified by, as mentioned, the murder of a Catholic priest by a dumbass Deicide fan and the reminder of this in that dumbass poster.

In any case, considering how much metalheads whine whenever they encounter a popular, negative misconception about the music they like, I don't think that they're in any position to criticize Catholics for getting offended over attacks on their beliefs. Whatever they may feel about the validity of those beliefs, they almost certainly mean more to the person who holds them than how much it matters to him that some people think Slipknot are death metal.

Old 2006-04-28, 19:30
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Quote:
Have you seen any recent pics of Benton? He looks like an evil santa claus

Hahahahaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

He does look pretty terrible.

I think early 90's Deicide was pretty awesome oldschool dm.

Old 2006-04-28, 20:03
newHELLonEARTH
slack as fuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
I think early 90's Deicide was pretty awesome oldschool dm.

Agreed

Fucking on the couch while posting on Metaltabs and getting caught by your mother....

Priceless!

Old 2006-04-28, 22:22
Amadeus
Quantum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
Christians need to get an eternal life.

The Chileans aren't just reacting out of normal strong South American feelings about Catholicism (though you'd find out pretty quickly down there that it's a dumb thing to crack jokes about Jesus or the Virgin Mary); their emotions are further amplified by, as mentioned, the murder of a Catholic priest by a dumbass Deicide fan and the reminder of this in that dumbass poster.

In any case, considering how much metalheads whine whenever they encounter a popular, negative misconception about the music they like, I don't think that they're in any position to criticize Catholics for getting offended over attacks on their beliefs. Whatever they may feel about the validity of those beliefs, they almost certainly mean more to the person who holds them than how much it matters to him that some people think Slipknot are death metal.

This had me thinking... looking at it big scale, who started it, between the church and the metal heads? Did the church start bitching about metal right from the start, or did Black Sabbath or Judas or someone agitate them directly first?
Not that it matter to any practical ends, but if anyone is sitting on this piece of trivia, it would fun if you could let the rest of us know.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2006-04-28, 23:35
Soeru
Post-whore

Benton, like Glen Danzig, is just too old and fat to rock. But hey they might surprise us with this new album. Being weened into death metal with Legion, Serpents of the Light and their self titled, I can only hope for the best. I never gave a fuck for Hoffman's writing after Serpents, from then on it was generic and uninspired in every sense. The best thing they've done was ditch them IMO. This new shit with Santolla and Owens will be very different, and perhaps really good, or really shitty and enough to make me stop giving a shit about Deicide completely. Time will tell.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2006-04-29, 19:15
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

Deicide's own fucking name means killing of God... and that guy says he's catholic

Old 2006-04-29, 20:44
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
This had me thinking... looking at it big scale, who started it, between the church and the metal heads? Did the church start bitching about metal right from the start, or did Black Sabbath or Judas or someone agitate them directly first?
Not that it matter to any practical ends, but if anyone is sitting on this piece of trivia, it would fun if you could let the rest of us know.

The church started bitching about music that was'nt played in churches ever since people started playing music outside of churches that was'nt about God. There was a time when Buddy Holly and The Crickets were the very spawn of Satan, so Black Sabbath already had their work cut out for them.

Old 2006-04-29, 20:52
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Their name and the album release party at Lavey's didn't do much to help. Didn't do anything to help, actually. Not one thing. Selfish fuckers.

Old 2006-04-30, 20:10
okkim1
New Blood

So let me get this straight, you guys really thought that deicide we're grimevilantichristdevilworshippers? It's just for the show. Glen Benton got married in a church. How satanic is that?

Old 2006-04-30, 20:15
Transient
HES BAAACK

i just couldnt care less

seriously

ahh

Old 2006-04-30, 22:16
Black_Star
Senior Metalhead

Quote:

Same way Americans would be offened if I used a poser promoting my band that had a picture of the WTC with two planes flying into it that said "come and bring down the house" or something like that.

Old 2006-04-30, 23:09
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by okkim1
So let me get this straight, you guys really thought that deicide we're grimevilantichristdevilworshippers? It's just for the show. Glen Benton got married in a church. How satanic is that?

Then again it is the female's family whom conventionally choose the place of marrige.

He is still evil

ha ha ha.
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2006-04-30, 23:17
Doktorskell
Senior Metalhead

Well it was the portuguese and the spanish who introduced Catholosism to south america.

They used the musket...

I wonder what would happen if the portuguese came back and said "Haha we were kidding"

Anyway.. Deicide has gon soft. Pity because to me Legion is the pure essence of Death Metal

Old 2006-05-01, 01:12
travI56669
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Star
Same way Americans would be offened if I used a poser promoting my band that had a picture of the WTC with two planes flying into it that said "come and bring down the house" or something like that.

Haha, yeah I would get pretty pissed.. And Scars is an awesome CD, they put out a few crappy CDs, but it's obvious they started kicking ass with Scars...

Old 2006-05-01, 02:15
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

I still don't get why Ralph is in there. I mean how the hell does he feel on stage next to a guy who is shouting "Kill CHRIST! HAIL SATAN! RARARAR!" LOL and that works both ways.
For example:

(Phone Rings)

Ralph: Hello?

Glen: Hey dude. It's Glen.

Ralph: Oh hello Glen, how are you?

Glen: Pretty good, pretty good. So are we still on for that jam Sunday? Jack just got a new guitar and I would like to try a new bass head out.

Ralph: Um...Sunday. That's sort of bad for me Glen. I've got plans. You can go a head without me.

Glen: Oh. Ok. What plans you got dude?

Ralph: Church.

Glen: Church?

Ralph: Yeah, it's a sabbath day, you know every Sunday is Church.

Glen: MMHMM. I see.

Ralph: Would you like to come?

Glen: Uh...no thanks.

Ralph: Why not?

Glen: Um...I don't think I would fit in.

Ralph: Nonsense

Glen: Dude, have you seen that little thing branded in my forehead?

Ralph: Oh..yes..that..

Glen: Yeah...(pauses for a while)...Well then we'll try and catch you on the next jam. How about Saturdays? There is not anything on that day is there? (Laughs)

Ralph: (Laughs) No.No. Alright see you then. I'll pray for you. Goodbye. (Hangs Up Phone)

Glen: No!..Aww crap.

Sorry. I just thought it was funny.

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2006-05-12, 13:51
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
If Chile really has a problem with Deicide they should just make them 'vanish.' Their government's good at that.

We can thank that for Slayer. We can also blame them for God Hates Us All, but you really ought to pick your battles.

Old 2006-05-22, 22:24
lamb_of_god
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Deicide suck anyway.

+8,942

Quote:
Everything is funny you just gotta look at it the right way.

Quote:
You know I believe in a ruling class, particuarly since I rule.

-Randal, Clerks

scientology

MySpace

scientology

Old 2006-05-23, 11:24
ImBored
Supreme Metalhead

let it be known that i am not the topic bumper, but...

all that poster shows is that someone doesnt really like Down.

Old 2006-05-23, 15:52
Bones98
Post-whore

As a christian; I hate Deicide. Boring as hell, seriously; all their songs have the same line with the words "I hate u god" ....

Plus benton is a pussy, he married a whore.

Old 2006-05-25, 00:56
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

I deicide fan murdered... whoever....

so they're saying that if somebody kills another person, then the bands that they listen to arent allowed in the country? That sounds kind of stupid... I could see if it was AT their concert, but otherwise who really cares right? Was he wearing one of their shirts or what...

as for "....image of Christ with a bullet hole in the middle of his forehead." that might be going a bit too far.

edit: oh yea, Deicide sucks ass so who cares

Old 2006-05-25, 08:09
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3talhead666
Deicide's own fucking name means killing of God... and that guy says he's catholic

Actually, it means the killing of a deity, which is quite different than killing "God." Besides, hes in the band because he enjoys music. I quite admire that he can keep his own beliefs private.

Old 2006-05-25, 18:13
wizard of the chords
Metalhead

I used to be a big a fan of them, but they have sure a way of cancelling tours here in europe:

A cousin from the netherlands was supposed to see them on dynamo: they cancelled because their airplane was late and they could only play half an hour so they decided to not play at all. Some punkband had to replace them and deicide fans threw stuff at them.

A year ago I took a day off work to see them and then the whole thing was blown off (that was when had those problems with the hoffmans). Official reason was the tourbus didnt had airco and they got not enough money.

Now they were set on graspop, guess what? They cancelled that too.

They must be the most unreliable band to book for europe.

Old 2006-05-25, 18:43
YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture
Actually, it means the killing of a deity, which is quite different than killing "God." Besides, hes in the band because he enjoys music. I quite admire that he can keep his own beliefs private.

I was thinking that too like DEI- a prefix of deity and -CIDE suffix and so on. i looked the prefix up and found nothing. your explanation seems more logical.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones98
all their songs have the same line with the words "I hate u god" ....

well.....the song Dead By Dawn is about Evil Dead 2 and has nothing to do with hating god.

Old 2006-05-25, 19:14
wizard of the chords
Metalhead

Well 95% of their songs are about satan & hating god. But arent a lot of black/death bands like this? Some of their lyrics are pretty amusing really.

Bible basher:

"Ram your religion so far up your ass
Till it becomes just a thing of the past"

Let it be done:

"Hate thy neighbor if you please, redefine our unity"

Old 2006-05-25, 23:50
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

On a sidenote, Bible Basher is an awesome song, I really like it. Anyway, I think it's kind of funny that damn near everyone around here hates them. I like them somewhat, but with all of the harsh criticism I've heard of them, and just the fact that they're not utterly fantastic, I haven't listened to much more than the stuff on Best of Deicide or whatever it's called, and I think I'll keep it that way.

Far as the poster goes, if they didn't actually make it, then it's a shitty rap, but if they did, then they're idiots.

I never fucked a 10, but one night I fucked five 2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.

Old 2006-05-26, 00:14
Doktorskell
Senior Metalhead

We're talking about Chile here arent we?

Chile is the most catholic country in the world apart from Italy/Rome

Old 2006-06-05, 03:02
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

sucking up

You know..........Ralph could have just been trying to make himself look good in front of the Chilean public, or not good but................not as worthy of getting stoned in the town square. Remember how big it was when Pope Jean Paul II died? It seemed like all of the news reporters were claiming to be catholic on multiple stations..........just something to think about. And i just can't wrap my mind around how anyone could be Christian, much less Catholic, and be in Deicide......that's something only Steven Hawkins could figure out.

Old 2006-06-05, 06:18
*insert name here*
Jono

Meh,steve was wrong.

Old 2006-06-14, 07:32
Certain Death
New Blood

DEICIDE is a great band

Ralph Santolla and Jack Owen are just musicians, I don't think they indentify themselves with Death Metal, so their opinion doesn't count, ask Benton or Asheim for the ideological part, those two are Deicide, the others are just guitar players, musicians. Jack Owen left Cannibal Corpse because he didnt want to play Death Metal anymore, maybe he is in Deicide just for the money, a fact that if it is truth it's really fucking wrong. And R.Santolla the same, but I don't know what he likes more, money or playing guitar, I really don't know much about him. But if he can't stand Anti-christianism and Satanism he shouldn't be playing in that band, that's hypocrisy, he should be kicked out for saying that.
Deicide is one of my fauvorite bands, but I don't worship them, I just worship metal music, justice at any price, things like that. People change, that's why I don't worship people. I can admire people for some things but not worship them as if they were gods. Ideas remain the same....blablabla 'til the fucking end.
Im not a Satanist of any kind, but I do hate almost every thing about christianity, and I think people have a wrong idea of Satan, evil, etc. because they follow fucking human "braindead"(a word Benton uses a lot) preachers.

I know its hard for me to express myself, especially in English, so you don't need to make fun of the way I write, 'cause I already do that.
because I can't take the smell of it"
EXODUS - Shroud Of Urine (Tempo Of The Damned)

Old 2006-06-14, 08:10
buried_alive
New Blood

[QUOTE=TruthDevoid]What the hell drugs are you on? Saying Jack can't play Deicide solos. Ha! Those solos are cool, but they're not really all that hard, especially for someone who wrote and played in Cannibal Corpse! QUOTE]

Anyone that ha sviewed Deicides 'when london burns' DVD can see that jack can't handle the leads.... the other guy on the DVD (Dave Suzuki) handles all the leads nearly note for note, jacks leads are piece of shit blues leads with bitchy slides throughout them... jack is a good guitarist... but on the DVD he really doesnt handle the leads well, for an example the serpeants of the light lead jack does on the DVD and the actual song lead...
jack conveniently skips the sweeps