MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat

Old 2008-04-01, 16:42
Requiem
Post-whore

Been reading thrillers focusing on cults/religion and absolutely love them. So far I've only read: The Servants of Twilight and The Davinci Code.

Anyone know some other good ones?

Old 2008-04-01, 19:39
moe_blunts
wigger/redneck/drunkard

naw

i need more gorey novels to read.

http://www.last.fm/user/moe_blunts/

Old 2008-04-02, 01:03
blitz906
Okay.

Reading some Sherlock Holmes lately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2008-04-02, 03:49
YOUR_GOD_IS_DEAD
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
haha, how was he dressed? like a lumberjack, a pirate?

hahah jsut a shirt and khakis...and a crown and cape. haha. he also signed my year book. my high school mascot was a Pirate

Old 2008-04-07, 03:31
aFarewelltoKings
Senior Metalhead

Ive been reading:

The Bible
The Case For series
Star Wars Dark Rendezvous

Up Next: Star Wars The Thrawn Trilogy

Old 2008-04-07, 10:41
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

just bought a bulk of old james bond pockets; you know, the ones where he still is an anti-semetic drunk and women-molester.

Old 2008-04-07, 15:54
moe_blunts
wigger/redneck/drunkard

Picked up A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin. Doubt I'll finish all 700 pages before it's due because I got finals and shit, but so far, I really like the story.

Old 2008-04-08, 01:27
drawn&quartered
Too _____, wouldn't fuck

I almost finished reading the Golden Compass series, they seem like kids books but they actually arnt too bad

NEGROGENESIS

Old 2008-04-09, 21:55
jetblack
Senior Metalhead

Lords of chaos

Hevvy gråows!

Old 2008-04-11, 01:20
blitz906
Okay.

Bought another issue of Morbid Curiosity magazine. Disgusting stuff... very entertaining reading material
Quote:
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2008-04-11, 01:28
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
Bought another issue of Morbid Curiosity magazine. Disgusting stuff... very entertaining reading material

What the hell is that?

I recently booked a hotel suite in Montreal for 4 nights with my girlfriend. Myself, Her and our friends are going up there in a couple of weeks for Paganfest. Woooo!

Hopefully French Canada can handle a crew from Dartmouth. haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2008-04-11, 01:41
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
What the hell is that?

From the website :
"Called "The learned person's approach to all things dark and lovely" by the Azrael Project Newsletter, for 10 years Morbid Curiosity magazine presented true, first-person accounts of unusual experiences. Morbid Curiosity was an annual journal published and edited by Loren Rhoads."

It's basically a very thick magazine (110 pages on average) that has really disgusting articles written by police officers, ambulance paramedics, morticians, coroners etc about some of the horrible things they have had to see and deal with on the job (Car accidents, embalming, road spaghetti, stillborns etc) Unfortunately, it's not published anymore, but you can still order old issues. I've been buying them for about a year now.

Morbid Curiosity website

I just bought issue #8. It's pretty putrid
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2008-04-12, 21:12
PST 88
Forum Daemon
Forum Leader

Requiem: Foucault's Pendulum.

Old 2008-04-13, 13:41
Requiem
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PST 88
Requiem: Foucault's Pendulum.

I just read the article on Wikipedia. Thanks for the recommendation, Foucault's Pendulum seems like a good read. Going to look for at the public library(i'm skeptical that the library won't have it).

Haha, this exert made me laugh.

Quote:
Foucault's Pendulum has lately been called a "thinking person's Da Vinci Code,"[2] referring to the bestselling novel by the American novelist Dan Brown that followed it by more than a decade.

Old 2008-04-21, 03:36
Requiem
Post-whore

This is basically a IMDB for books.

http://www.iblist.com/

Old 2008-04-21, 06:22
blitz906
Okay.

Sweet ^^
Thanks for sharing that.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2008-10-08, 20:10
Requiem
Post-whore

Finally started reading Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. I'm about 50 pages in and the movie, thus far, kept up with the book pretty well.

moe_blunts: Check out Clive Barker's Books of Blood.

Old 2008-11-16, 21:12
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

I just finished reading a book a friend gave me called "The Shack." It's fictional, but I found many truths and lots of eye opening concepts in it that I'd never dreamed of. It's built around a story line that's plausible involving a father's momentary distraction that results in a little girl's kidnapping and what happens to her, but the bulk of the story is about the father's awareness and realization that God isn't exactly the way he thought. And not quite the way I thought either. So whatever your beliefs are or even lack of them you might like different angles in it. Religion is pretty much man's idea and independence gets it's own definition. So do relationships and love. Some of the ideas I do feel with some of you even through the internet so that's why I wanted to share this with you.
The author, who sounds like a really neat guy, asks that the website be shared so I will. http://www.theshackbook.com/index.html
I hope it's a memorable book for you if you read it and if you do, feel free to pm me and let me know what you think.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2009-06-22, 15:10
blitz906
Okay.

My parents got me an awesome book for my birthday. It's called "Our Dumb World" (by The Onion). Seriously, go check it out... NOW! It's fucking hilarious

http://www.theonion.com/content/atlas/
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2009-06-23, 00:29
moe_blunts
wigger/redneck/drunkard

Wow...nice bump.

The Turner Diaries is so awesome. Here's an actual quote on the back of the book from Timothy McVeigh:

"I bought the book out of a publication that advertised the book as a gun-rights book."

lol

Old 2009-06-23, 20:55
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

I'm almost done Terry Goodkind's Stone of Tears novel, the second of the series. The show "Legend of the Seeker" on ABC is based off of the first book, but fails by comparison and doesn't follow the book whatsoever. The books are great though.

Quote:
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2009-06-24, 07:03
Amadeus
Quantum.

Quote:
I'm almost done Terry Goodkind's Stone of Tears novel, the second of the series. The show "Legend of the Seeker" on ABC is based off of the first book, but fails by comparison and doesn't follow the book whatsoever. The books are great though.

Another Sword of Truth-geek then, haha. I've read 'em all up to and including Faith of the Fallen; I generally don't like the eternity series fantasy stuff, but those have a certain something.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2009-06-24, 08:25
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:

I hate most movies that were based on books, they always fuck something up. I watched The Hound of the Baskervilles movie not too long ago and was very disappointed with how many details they missed/fucked up. For example, they had Holmes INJECTING opium into himself instead of smoking it

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle would go fucking mad if he were still alive.

The only movie I have seen that followed the book rather closely was A Clockwork Orange... but Anthony Burgess still hated the film apparently.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2009-06-24, 15:40
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Another Sword of Truth-geek then, haha. I've read 'em all up to and including Faith of the Fallen; I generally don't like the eternity series fantasy stuff, but those have a certain something.

haha. I thought there would be someone on here that would be one also. I have a friend of mine who has read the full series a few times over.

I read at a child's pace. Godamn English majors.

Quote:

RIP moe.

Old 2009-06-24, 18:37
Amadeus
Quantum.

Power metal and fantasy books go hand in hand.
So there's actually someone who's made movies out of those books? Well, never mind, I didn't see The lord of the rings-movies, and I don't want to see any Sword of Truth-movies. Some things simply aren't meant for the screen.

I'm there too, the first two books are starting to come apart here and there. Oh well. They're not expensive or hard to get or anything.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2009-06-26, 02:40
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Power metal and fantasy books go hand in hand.
So there's actually someone who's made movies out of those books? Well, never mind, I didn't see The lord of the rings-movies, and I don't want to see any Sword of Truth-movies. Some things simply aren't meant for the screen.

I'm there too, the first two books are starting to come apart here and there. Oh well. They're not expensive or hard to get or anything.

Yeah, the first was was turned into a mini-series called "Legend of the Seeker". It's laughable how bad it is..I mean, it doesn't follow the main story whatsoever and so many characters are introduced that are nonexistent in the novels.

You're right about the price of novels, $10 for a 900plus page book is nothing to complain about!

Quote:

RIP moe.