MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2006-04-15, 10:40
Unanything
Post-whore

Six Tone Symmetrical

I like those scales composed of symmetrical chords: specifically the Six Tone (or hexatonic) Symmetrical and the Octatonic Half-Whole, or Octatonic Symmetrical.

Hex' Sym' is just two Augmented chords with the roots a minor 2nd apart.

Code:
[------------] [------------] [------------] [------------] [------0-3-4-] [0-1-4-------] Orange notes are chord roots. [------------------------------8--9--] [------------------------9--10-------] [------------------9--10-------------] [------------10-11-------------------] [------11-12-------------------------] [12-13-------------------------------]

It's feel is very Augmented, of course.

Oct' Sym' is Diminished (7th) with the roots " " " .

Code:
[----------------] [----------------] [----------------] [--------------0-] [--------1-2-4---] [0-1-3-4---------] Bold notes are chord roots. [----------------------------------------6-7-9-10] [--------------------------------5-6-8-9---------] [------------------------3-4-6-7-----------------] [----------------2-3-5-6-------------------------] [--------1-2-4-5---------------------------------] [0-1-3-4-----------------------------------------]

The 'Half-Whole' it is sometimes called refers to its intervals; it is simply consistent of alternating intervals of a semitone then a wholetone. It's single mode is thus the Whole-Half scale. It is also called the Arabian (a.) scale and can be heard in some of the band Nile's music. The feel is Diminished.

As you can see, the scales form patterns on the fretboard and are easy to learn and use.

Hope this is of interest!

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2006-04-16, 08:52
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Very interesting... Can you post a simple progression using augmented chords to work that hexatonic scale over for practice?

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2006-04-18, 18:48
Unanything
Post-whore

Using a root of E, you could do.....

You could do:

Eaug - Fm - A - Ab sus4+5 (all triads)

Code:
[------------] [------5--5--] [5--5--6--6--] [6--6--7--6--] [7--8--------] [------------]

There's not a lot you can do with symmetry-based scales. There's mainly for noodling and twiddling about in. I suppose you could, as the example above shows, do a lot of drone-style chording with it, because of the repeating idea. You can do a lot of chordwork with the Oct' Sym'. There are lots of inherent scales, and just because it has tons of tones.

With Six Tone, you could also do broken chordwork better, I mean look at those ones above. You need jazz chord fingers for that! I just came up with a riff that probably sounds good using them broken. I'm gonna use it on my forthcoming EP I think!

Post it if it sounds great!

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Last edited by Unanything : 2006-04-18 at 18:59.