MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2006-04-12, 07:50
The.Jester.Race
New Blood

did i permenenty lose the ability to growl?

well im 16 and yesterday i growled a lot and in the evening my normal voice actually changed for like half hour and when i tried to growl i had really strange pain i never felt before that seems to come from a spot near the left side of the throat. the crappy thing is my throat wasnt sore or something and everything was ok till that happened.
so now i woke up and i feel a pain in my throat (not in that left spot). i can feel it a little bit when i swallow but it comes really hard when i try growl and my growl sounds kinda crappy.
wtf? =[

Last edited by The.Jester.Race : 2006-04-12 at 07:56.

Old 2006-04-12, 10:37
Transient
HES BAAACK

give it a few days

Old 2006-04-12, 11:09
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Let it rest, your throat is probably raw, and could get infected. Im sure it wouldnt have totally taken your grown away, just slow it down when growling. Your throat has to adapt

Think my attitude stinks?? You should smell my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2006-04-12, 18:46
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

yo, d00de, i had same problem. the more you will growl, the tougher your throat will be and more resist to pain after growlin, as good as infections (yeah, if you growl much your throat will become stronger). the pain is normal if you growl too much and your throat isnt set to that. train growling and you will get rid of pain completely

Old 2006-04-13, 19:53
The.Jester.Race
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolothurN
yo, d00de, i had same problem. the more you will growl, the tougher your throat will be and more resist to pain after growlin, as good as infections (yeah, if you growl much your throat will become stronger). the pain is normal if you growl too much and your throat isnt set to that. train growling and you will get rid of pain completely

u mean u couldnt growl for some days too? ;0
its almost 2 days passed since i posted the thread here and my damn throat still hurts ;C

Last edited by The.Jester.Race : 2006-04-13 at 19:56.

Old 2006-04-13, 20:36
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

You're too young, that's why. Worrying is for pussies.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2006-04-14, 01:23
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

how many days ago did you hit puberty? haha

well maybe your getting a cold and that triggered it... or maybe you strained the lining in your throat. either way, it will get better, just dont go trying to do it again until its healed. Each time, the lining will get tougher.

Old 2006-04-14, 02:39
Transient
HES BAAACK

one time i did vocals for some song really hard and immediately got a cold after. im not sure if that was related or not but it was odd

Old 2006-04-14, 11:25
SolothurN
Senior Metalhead

i dont think i couldnt, i still could coz when my throat starts to hurt i always stop growling. but my growling sound changed hardly when my throat hurt after too much growling, so i dont growl if it hurts

Old 2006-04-14, 14:02
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Ha, I usually get a sinus infection when I growl for wayyy to long. Yelling, on the other hand just takes my voice away....but no soreness.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2006-04-15, 19:04
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Yeah it takes time to train your throat. The first time I did it I was coughing up a furball! LOL But now it doesn't really hurt. You just need to drink the right things (tea, coffee, soup ect) and it will be better. I can do mostly any vocal style with out hurting my throat from Iron Maiden to Lord Gore. LOL The only vocals I can't do is Fuck...I'm Dead's screams. Jay's screams are fucking killer. That guy must smoke a billion packs a day. And I for one am not taking up smoking. I can do them but I need to drink a lot of warm stuff and even still it hurts.

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2006-04-27, 21:51
7-string warlord
Post-whore

I think that happened to me a long time ago. I was screaming my ass off at a concert I went to (I wasn't performing it was an all day concert and i yelled in between the songs). And for the next 3 days my voice sounded like that annoying steve-o fucker from jackass. When i drank tea it helped my throat out a lot.

Old 2006-04-29, 11:04
Unanything
Post-whore

Frank Oz, when he first did the Cookie Monster growl for Sesame Street years ago, noticed his voice was transposed by like half an octave afterwards.

Half an octave... flattened fifth!

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2006-04-29, 16:40
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Breathing technique is just as important, if not more important, than throat. My throat NEVER hurts, and that's because I learned proper breathing. Learn it.

Old 2006-04-30, 13:28
The.Jester.Race
New Blood

;o
I'm not sure, am I supposed to feel the air coming out of my diaphragm?
I really have no idea if im doing it right or not.
Like a week after i post this thread, the problem healed, and i started growling again, like 2-3 hours/day, and now it started again and i cant growl for 3 days already... its damn frustrating.

Last edited by The.Jester.Race : 2006-04-30 at 13:33.

Old 2006-04-30, 13:54
problematic
Post-whore
Banned

ha, sux2bu

Old 2006-06-20, 10:07
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by The.Jester.Race
;o
I'm not sure, am I supposed to feel the air coming out of my diaphragm?
I really have no idea if im doing it right or not.
Like a week after i post this thread, the problem healed, and i started growling again, like 2-3 hours/day, and now it started again and i cant growl for 3 days already... its damn frustrating.

Well another thing that can do is really really irritate your tonsils. That would explain why the pain was localized to begin with. If it keeps happening then you can get them removed, although thats a bit drastic for just a silly vocal style.

Old 2006-06-20, 10:33
Unanything
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
Breathing technique is just as important, if not more important, than throat. My throat NEVER hurts, and that's because I learned proper breathing. Learn it.

Fortunately for myself I just realised that.

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2006-06-20, 19:10
The.Jester.Race
New Blood

hrhr my thread bumped after so much time.
Erm this crap started again (THIRD TIME -_________---------) and its now exactly 21 days (the first time it happened lasted 1 week and the second lasted 2 weeks) without growling... this shit sucks, I really cant see what I'm doing wrong.. It doesnt really hurt, but I do feel that if ill try to growl right now it WILL hurt and the next morning my throat will burn.
btw my voice is not raspy or something so i guess its not something in the vocal cords themselves and therefore I haven't ruined my voice permenently yet (I hope )
When I went to the doctor he didnt know what growling is and gave me something for the nose, cuz he said i use my mouth to breath and that's the problem ._,
Maybe it really is something with irritating my tonsils o0.

Last edited by The.Jester.Race : 2006-06-20 at 19:13.

Old 2006-07-07, 07:04
- EXILE -
Metalhead

Make sure you drink shit loads of water, it takes about 20 min on an empty stomach for the water to hit your vocal cords ( water never touches your vocal cords, it has to go through your system first ) I use to get that burning feeling when ever I death growled but now I drink like 10 glasses of water a day and it never burns and I never get problems, not to mention the benefits that water have on the body anywayz.

Old 2006-07-15, 05:07
squibee
New Blood

I am a newbie vocalist, and when I am growling, I don't feel pain after I am done, but usually my throat gets really itchy and I start coughing, and this is mixed with a tolerable but annoying pain while I am growling. I am assuming that this is because I am just beginning to excercise my vocal cords, but is this the case, or am I doing it wrong?

BTW, sorry for being off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread because this is similar in subject matter.

EDIT: If I growl so that I am using my diaphram it sounds kinda cool and doesn't hurt nor itch, however I can't only use that growl or else I would be monotonus. The growl that itches is made from me like clearnig my throat.

Last edited by squibee : 2006-07-15 at 05:53.

Old 2006-07-16, 06:02
The.Jester.Race
New Blood

Besides that kind of pain that everyone have when they start growling and disappears after a week or so (I guess that's what you're talking about), u should'nt be growling if it hurts. Clearing your throat hurts the vocal cords and u should avoid it, maybe do hard swallowing instead.

Old 2006-07-16, 06:36
squibee
New Blood

All right man, thanks for the advice. The pain that you mentioned must be the same, because even a day later, I noticed less pain, which was just an annoyance anyways.

Old 2006-07-16, 08:41
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Quote:
maybe do hard swallowing instead.

I don't know why but something about this remark amuses me slightly.

Old 2006-07-16, 21:05
Cassius
Senior Metalhead

Not everyone is meant to growl, bro. I'd say if it'ss giving you that much trouble, you probably need to call it quits with the growling.
When I first started the wrost I got was a little pain for a day or so. The throat should eventually toughen up and if done properly the growl should cause little to no pain/irritation at all.
Personally, I like to drink hot green tea before I growl, and sometimes I gargle salt water. Everyone has their own remedies that they do. Also, if you smoke..STOP! When I was smoking my growls were so raspy and haggard it was sick. Since I've stopped smoking my growls have much better tone to them.
Try to do anything that will relax the throat before growling. You may even want to try practicing by growling softly, sounds dumb I know, but it works. If you want to toughen your throat just growl so you get the tone, but not as much volume.

Old 2006-07-16, 22:09
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
well im 16 and yesterday i growled a lot and in the evening my normal voice actually changed for like half hour and when i tried to growl i had really strange pain i never felt before that seems to come from a spot near the left side of the throat. the crappy thing is my throat wasnt sore or something and everything was ok till that happened.
so now i woke up and i feel a pain in my throat (not in that left spot). i can feel it a little bit when i swallow but it comes really hard when i try growl and my growl sounds kinda crappy.
wtf? =[

Okay, your voice WILL come back.
This is to anyone else who is learning how to growl.
You have to growl all day, and deal with the pain until your throat heals.
After it heals, do it again.
And again, and again.

This will help your growl get better, and it IS the only way, really. And it works.

Awesome.

Old 2006-07-16, 22:11
jazzmetalguitar
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissection
Okay, your voice WILL come back.
This is to anyone else who is learning how to growl.
You have to growl all day, and deal with the pain until your throat heals.
After it heals, do it again.
And again, and again.

This will help your growl get better, and it IS the only way, really. And it works.

agreed. this is no different than finger pain experienced when first learning to play guitar. just as you have to strengthen finger muscles. you have to strengthen your voice.

Old 2006-07-17, 14:30
The.Jester.Race
New Blood

hehe thanks but im not so sure cuz this shit is back and since 21 may i cant growl anymore (yes i remember the date ) i dont know it feels like my throat is always dry or something, teh doctor said that i breath from my nose in my sleep and gave me nasal drops to clear the nose.. but still it lasts like 2 months in a row, did anyone experience such thing? 0o

Old 2006-07-18, 03:20
squibee
New Blood

I can't really talk from a lot of experiance, however after only a couple of days I noticed that the pain was subsiding and I could go longer and louder. It might have been triggered by your growling, but perhaps there is just something else wrong with your throat...