MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2006-03-22, 18:06
Soeru
Post-whore

Where to get tremolo cavity covers.

I've been looking for tremolo cavity covers for an Ironbird or any kind of guitar on ebay but all I can find is Fender-type cavity covers. Will those fit any guitar(eg: are all back covers the same size?) Or should I just buy a 4$ plastic trashcan from Ikea and cut one out of it?

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2006-03-23, 00:12
rapeandruin
Post-whore

why the fuck do people always remove the tremolo cavity covers? Is it for easy adjustment of the bridge or something or is it to try and look bad ass and old?

Old 2006-03-23, 00:22
jaxadam
Senior Metalhead

I usually take the trem covers and the truss rod covers off my guitars that I'm messing with all of the time; different tunings, extra springs, new setups, etc.

It's a pain in the ass to take a guitar that's had 9's on it, and throw 12's on it and tune it to B when you're having to adjust the truss rod and trem claw constantly, especially when you decide to throw some hybrid gauge on it and tune it to something else off the wall.

And I'm pulling the trems a lot to mess with the neck adjustments, cleaning the neck, taking the neck off, maintainence, etc. so there's no point in screwing something on and off all of the time.

So my guitars that I'm constantly messing with don't have trem covers or truss rod covers on them.

Old 2006-03-23, 00:30
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

Yeah I need one for my seven string; I broke the old one. My Kramer's tremelo cover has slots cut in to it so you can adjust the tremelo springs without removing the cover... and when I tried to cut slots in the other one, it was evidently very brittly and just shattered

Old 2006-03-23, 01:38
rapeandruin
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxadam
I usually take the trem covers and the truss rod covers off my guitars that I'm messing with all of the time; different tunings, extra springs, new setups, etc.

It's a pain in the ass to take a guitar that's had 9's on it, and throw 12's on it and tune it to B when you're having to adjust the truss rod and trem claw constantly, especially when you decide to throw some hybrid gauge on it and tune it to something else off the wall.

And I'm pulling the trems a lot to mess with the neck adjustments, cleaning the neck, taking the neck off, maintainence, etc. so there's no point in screwing something on and off all of the time.

So my guitars that I'm constantly messing with don't have trem covers or truss rod covers on them.
I get your point, but some of Dimebag's guitars had no covers and I've seen tons on ebay with no covers. I was wondering if I was missing something else rather than the easy adjustments

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalThrashingMad
Yeah I need one for my seven string; I broke the old one. My Kramer's tremelo cover has slots cut in to it so you can adjust the tremelo springs without removing the cover... and when I tried to cut slots in the other one, it was evidently very brittly and just shattered
sucky...I would image the best way to put holes in that would be to just take the long process of knife strokes until you get through the entire piece of plastic...

Old 2006-03-23, 02:14
Soeru
Post-whore

For a trem guitar I'd just keep it in one tuning and guage, I'd be fucked if I have to spend 40 min. + a few days for strings to settle just cause I want to change a tuning.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2006-03-23, 02:32
guitar_demon
MotörCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapeandruin
I get your point, but some of Dimebag's guitars had no covers .

with dime's it was probably because for every gig they put new strings on, besides making it easer to do things i dont think theres any real reason for it
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2006-03-23, 02:41
MechanicalRaper
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapeandruin
why the fuck do people always remove the tremolo cavity covers? Is it for easy adjustment of the bridge or something or is it to try and look bad ass and old?

I took mine off when I was fucking around with my bridge setup, and just never bothered to put it back on. No point to having on it on, really. Nobody sees it, and it only prevents access the next time I go to fuck around with my setup.

Soeru: I'd just go with the garbage can. It's much easier to cut one to fit your particular axe than to find a specific one.
I don't care where it goes
And it don't matter if you're straight or gay
You should fuck yourself anyway
Now, you don't have to listen to a word I say
But I know you, you'll be humpin' away

Old 2006-03-23, 03:13
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Just jack one from a guitar at Guitar Center

Old 2006-03-23, 04:36
rapeandruin
Post-whore

guitar centers are nice...bring in your guitar...mess around wooo fun stuff

Old 2006-03-23, 09:42
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Any good guitar tech/luthier should be able to get hold of generic ones for you, or at least, provide you with some plastic to make them. Generally the 6 screw holes are in the same place (A Floyd Rose rout is a Floyd Rose rout at the end of the day) but the edges of the cover may not sit in their little recess perfectly (if your guitar has one, some just sit on top of the body).

If you want to cut slots in your trem cavity cover, Drill two large holes (use a wood bit), the same diameter as the width of the slots, and then remove the blade from a junior hacksaw, slip it through the hole and then put the blade back into the hacksaw, then saw through until you meet the other hole, then turn it round and do the other side of the slot. A bit of filing (use metal files) to tidy it up, and you should have slots in your tremolo cavity cover.

DO make sure you go gently, because yeah, certain plastics can be brittle, and there seems to be a little variation in the plastic used for these things.

Avoid overtightening the screws that hold it in too, thats a classic way of wrecking one.

Old 2006-03-23, 19:55
guitar_demon
MotörCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalRaper
I took mine off when I was fucking around with my bridge setup, and just never bothered to put it back on. No point to having on it on, really. Nobody sees it, and it only prevents access the next time I go to fuck around with my setup.

Soeru: I'd just go with the garbage can. It's much easier to cut one to fit your particular axe than to find a specific one.

holy shit, havnt seen you since the ass crack of time
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2006-03-23, 23:47
MechanicalRaper
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon
holy shit, havnt seen you since the ass crack of time

I haven't been around since the ass crack of time...

I've been kinda bogged down with school and shit, so I've got very little time to even browse, much less play these days.
I don't care where it goes
And it don't matter if you're straight or gay
You should fuck yourself anyway
Now, you don't have to listen to a word I say
But I know you, you'll be humpin' away