MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2006-01-16, 02:40
ivanlagru
New Blood

clean singing tips

Hi guys...well i've been lurking around reading some threads and i decided to address some important matters for all the guys that want help singing.
i'll give some general tips:

-get a teacher (depending on what you want to sing, but if you study with an opera singer you'll get the technique and knowledge needed to figure out other techniques and styles, of course you must not listen to your teacher when he/she attempts to forbid you from rock singing)

-figure out your vocal range: easy, the basic vocal range you should have consists on two octaves. but if you're a total noob you should not be concerned about the range you've got. you must focus on the sound quality at first.
figure out what is your lowest note. then from there count two octaves up, that's your goal. i'll give the notes relating to a guitar...sorry i'm not really acquainted with the A1, F3 and so on system.

tenor: 5th string's 3rd fret C (it varies a tone up or down more a less)
baritone:6th string 1st fret's F
Bass: lower than the 6th string -a B or so-

if you are a tenor you should be aiming towards a sound like(always with your distinctive tone):
-Damian Wilson from Threshold and Ayreon, Michael Kiske from Helloween and place vendome, Bruce Dickinson, Geoff Tate, Russell Allen-

if you're a baritone in metal it's more complicated, you have to use different techniques -clean singing, a more powerful non resonant voice (not head voice but high and not to loud, you're using a mic it doesn't matter much as long a it sounds good-.
Expand your range, you can sing high almost like a tenor-or higher with some gadgets(check Barlow)- or low (not AS low but decently low as to attract some chicks).
check Daniel Gildenlow from Pain of Salvation, Iced Earth's Matt Barlow, Rob Halford, Ray Alder of fates warning.

If you're a bass you should aim for a powerful tone but not depending on high notes, you can make a middle C sound "high" and powerful if you have it.Take advantage of your low notes thats where you shine best.
Check a guy that sings with Ayreon: Robert Soeterboek.

it's very important to remember that each register has a distinct tone and basic range.here's the range very basically:

Bass from C1 to C3, Baritone from F1 to F3, Tenor from C2 to C4.

And the tone if you are a tenor you'll have a ligher tone you don't have to strain to "sound" high, or if you're a bass you'll sound like one nevertheless if you're singing as high as a tenor or as low as a seven stringed guitar.
any questions? feel free to ask.

Cheers

I only gave advice regarding male voices hehe..if you're a girl your voice will match any of those three registers mentioned but an octave higher and quite usually female voices have more range. -3 octaves are more common than men's 2 octaves-

Male-Female
Tenor-Soprano B2-C5
Baritone-Mezzo soprano E2-G4
Bass-Contralto B1-D4

for female voices it's a bit different, i'm no expert yet so i'm sorry for the lack of info.
Oh and i am a baritone but i can sing anywhere from a D# a semitone lower than the 6th string to a G that would equal a guitar's 1st string's 15th fret using different techniques and levels of loudness.

Last edited by ivanlagru : 2006-01-16 at 02:50. Reason: i forgot something...

Old 2006-01-17, 01:52
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

I'm female. Screwing around on the guitar just now I got about 3 and a half octaves out of my voice, but that's not quite right because I doubt it's completely in tune. When I was in high school choir I sang tenor with the guys very comfortably. From what I remember the c# below the staff was my lower limit. The soprano range I could do, but I didn't have the power there and it was more of a strain.

I have no problem singing most any of Bohemian Rhapsody so that will give you a clue as to my range.
Cool thread. I don't agree with the vocal teacher not wanting one to sing rock, but I've got a vocal/instrument teacher for a best friend next door and we sing anything. lol She's done opera before.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2006-01-17, 04:18
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

I see Barlow as a tenor cause I don't think his voice is deep enough for a baritone.
A baritone is more like a bass in power and sound, yet with wider range without using falsetto. Trebles are more like helloween and judas priest.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2006-01-17, 21:28
Shreddist
Supreme Metalhead

Hey, do you have any more examples of a baritone singer?

Last edited by Shreddist : 2006-01-18 at 02:29.

Old 2006-01-17, 21:49
powersofterror
Forum Leader

...the guy who sang on the Pagan Prosperity of Old Man's Child album--that's a good example of bass singing.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page

Old 2006-01-18, 02:17
Shreddist
Supreme Metalhead

I might have bought the wrong one, theres no clean singing in the song the pagan prosperity.

Old 2006-01-19, 02:26
powersofterror
Forum Leader

The ALBUM Pagan Prosperity--sorry, I inverted the sentence....must have confused you.

Which one did you buy?

This is my band's page

Old 2006-01-19, 03:38
Shreddist
Supreme Metalhead

I just bought the song, the pagan prosperity, not the whole album, do you have any certain tracks in mind?

Old 2006-01-19, 15:46
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Jesus, there's no song by Old Man's Child that's called the pagan prosperity. It's the name of the damn album

tracks 1, 5, and 7 all have clean vocals on them.

the Millennium King
Doommaker
Return of the Night's Creature

This is my band's page

Old 2006-01-20, 04:20
OpethFan
Toast-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreddist
I just bought the song, the pagan prosperity, not the whole album, do you have any certain tracks in mind?

You bought the song? Sorry im pretty sure you're the first person i have ever heard of doing that

Think my attitude stinks?? You should smell my fingers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB_ZE_METALLEU
yeah, one night he (BassBehemoth) came with some GHB and he put it in my drink, when i woke up....i lost my hymen....terrible

Old 2006-01-20, 17:42
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
Jesus, there's no song by Old Man's Child that's called the pagan prosperity. It's the name of the damn album

tracks 1, 5, and 7 all have clean vocals on them.

the Millennium King
Doommaker
Return of the Night's Creature

So he paid for a song which isnt even real. lol

Old 2006-01-21, 06:58
Bones98
Post-whore

I used to be in choir... That shit was gay, i used to grunt after i got tired of singing silent night.

Man, middle school was the fucking SHIT!

Old 2006-01-21, 15:56
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones98
I used to be in choir... That shit was gay, i used to grunt after i got tired of singing silent night.

Man, middle school was the fucking SHIT!

Maybe that helped you with your vocals abit? being in the choir an all.

I can just imagin you in the choir death grunting to like some gay christian hymn.

Old 2006-01-22, 23:35
Bones98
Post-whore

hmm, that christian comment was uncalled for... Im a christian lol.

Serious.

Old 2006-01-22, 23:36
Transient
HES BAAACK

fucking minus 76953075 metal points for you, bones.

Old 2006-01-23, 05:12
Bones98
Post-whore

lmfao Transient. Well its not my fault.

Old 2006-01-23, 17:38
Shreddist
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
fucking minus 76953075 metal points for you, bones.

Old 2006-01-24, 18:52
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones98
lmfao Transient. Well its not my fault.

Do you believe in all that stuff then?

Or what?

Old 2006-01-27, 04:40
Bones98
Post-whore

well honestly, i dont agree with it 100% but i read the bible and go to church for guidance.

Old 2006-01-27, 17:17
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Well i wont hold it against you.

Old 2006-01-28, 04:21
Throat Crusher
Senior Metalhead

Theres nothing wrong with being Christian, its good that some one with a lot of talent isnt reverting to being a steriotypical ass clown like most metal singers... Glen Benton or what ever the fuck his name is. I realy dont have a religion, not that I lost faith in everything, I just like too look at the world through my own perspective. If there is a creator, thatd be fine I havent done too much to piss it off...

Old 2006-01-28, 16:31
powersofterror
Forum Leader

End.

This is my band's page