MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2006-01-11, 10:40
blitz906
Okay.

Question Hammer Smashed Face?

Hey, this is going to make me sound like a total n00b but whatever...

I know all of Hammer Smashed Face except that fucking bass solo. It's hard to hear what he's doing on the original because he has such a damn "clunky" tone, and he's ripping the hell out of the strings. It doesnt sound fast but it is, like a blur of arpeggiated notes and it's hard to find an accurate transcription of this too, I have been through tab after tab and NONE of them are correct, they all have something missing that I can't put my finger on (no pun intended) so does anyone here know it note for note and/or have any advice? know where I can find an accurate tab of this? I'd really appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

(By the way : This isnt a tab request, I'm just trying to figure this part out and I'm fucked over on it)

Cheers!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomli
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Old 2006-01-11, 12:39
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

-------------------
-------------------
-------3-----------
-2---2---3---3-----
---0-------1---0---X4

Done. Well i'm sure that is it.

Old 2006-01-11, 16:12
Yertle4
Senior Metalhead

Didn't Webster use a 4-string Fender tuned to Eb back in those days?
The recording does have an annoying 'rubber band' quality to it...

Old 2006-01-11, 19:48
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yertle4
Didn't Webster use a 4-string Fender tuned to Eb back in those days?
The recording does have an annoying 'rubber band' quality to it...

Yeah sounds like he's just playing through a jazz pickup with the low mid's cranked to fuck on his amp, sounds kinda shitty.....but I love the tone on Live Cannibalism. A little bit of distortion, enough bass to shake the floor and just enough mid range to cut through the mix.....orgasmic tone gotta love Ampeg!
Quote:
God, the Japanese are so weird. This HAS to be the long term effects of the atom bombs. No one is that weird on purpose.
Quote:
The slams in that song always kill me. First time I heard that song I was like "Too much heaviness - brain collapse" but now I could murder my family to that one

Last edited by blitz906 : 2006-01-12 at 00:13.

Old 2006-01-12, 00:18
blitz906
Okay.

and....is it just me? or does it sound like he's playing something different on the Live Cannibalism version he's playing it faster, I know that for sure...I like the live version better, thats the one I'd like to play instead.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2006-01-12, 17:06
Zionist
My Ass, Your Face

Robbie Filth is right, that is how the bass solo is played, took me awhile tab that part correctly.
Wore her out before I could finish(which im grateful for)

Funeral Mulch; My brutal death metal band from West Michigan.

Old 2006-01-12, 17:35
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blitz906
and....is it just me? or does it sound like he's playing something different on the Live Cannibalism version he's playing it faster, I know that for sure...I like the live version better, thats the one I'd like to play instead.

He is playing the same thing. Just a different tone.

Old 2006-01-12, 21:55
blitz906
Okay.

Thumbs up

Ok...thanks alot guys much appreciated, I'll get working on that

Anfeuerungen
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2006-01-12, 22:52
Tulvox
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Filth
-------------------
-------------------
-------3-----------
-2---2---3---3-----
---0-------1---0---X4

That sounds right, but it seems almost to easy for all the hype Webster gets.

www.maddox.xmission.com

Old 2006-01-13, 01:16
blitz906
Okay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulvox

Thats what I was thinking when I was looking at all the tabs for it....but you don't always have to play complicated stuff to be a good bass player, he plays enough complicated shit as it is

Thanks again man
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2006-01-13, 14:22
humancorpse
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulvox

Well, CC didn`t really get that technical until Barnes left.

Old 2006-01-13, 14:22
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Yeah i mean when you watch the dvd of the wretched spawn he does some excellent solos on that thing.

If you havn't seen it and are a big webster fan check it out.

Old 2006-01-15, 21:48
blitz906
Okay.

Yeah that tab seems right, but somehow the Live Cannibalism version sounds different, almost like he's playing it an octave higher, and it looks like it on the video.....anyone else notice a difference
Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by blitz906 : 2006-01-16 at 03:41.

Old 2006-01-22, 21:40
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Filth
-------------------
-------------------
-------3-----------
-2---2---3---3-----
---0-------1---0---X4

i dunno dude i just watched monolith of death and he's playing in the middle of the neck

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2006-01-23, 17:35
genocide circus
Metalhead

Was he using the 5-string bass? Could be playing the same thing but in the 5th position using the B string.

Old 2006-01-25, 00:25
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

possibly but thats alot of movement and he diddnt look to be moving from 5th at all

The previously posted riff has notes on the 1st fret of the b string

Old 2006-01-26, 14:15
blitz906
Okay.

Yeah he always plays it in the middle of the neck, and he is using his B string playing from the 5'th.....just like on Live Cannibalism....I was reading the Cannibal Corpse forums on the official website and he says he plays the solo exactly the same every time he plays live....and he did it exactly the same on the album too....same fingering positions and everything. So it's not that confusing.

But whats up with this??? this tab is 5 strings....and the open note is the low B....the solo sounds nothing like that lol...I think whoever tabbed that meant to have the open notes on the E string.

G -------------------
D -------------------
A -------3-----------
E -2---2---3---3-----
B ---0-------1---0---X4

Wouldnt this be the correct way if you were using a 4-string tuned to Eb ???

G -------------------
D -------3-----------
A -2---2---3---3-----
E ---0-------1---0---X4

Anyways I was just verifying that....I pretty much have the solo now...thanks to all that helped

Cheers
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-01-14, 06:01
blitz906
Okay.

Question

Ok yeah...this is what I mean, check these 2 videos out and listen to the bass solos...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yu5MjTnSfFE

and...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V2CkCxnbleQ

Don't the bass solo's sound like they are being played different to the version on the album? or do I need to clean out my ears
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-01-14, 06:24
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Same exact thing, just different tone.

Old 2007-01-15, 07:56
blitz906
Okay.

I spose people are right, I probably do have hearing damage lol...either that or I'm tone deaf...which I doubt. I really should get my hearing checked...
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-02-17, 12:43
blitz906
Okay.

No...the live version really is different, to me it sounds more like this :

Gb|--------------------------------------
Db|-9---------------------9--------------
Ab|------8---------8---------------------
Eb|---6-----7---6-----6------------------

(I'm pretty god damn sure anyways...)
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-02-18, 09:03
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

CANNIBAL CORPSE DOESNT FUCKING DROP TUNE.... EVER!!!

Old 2007-02-18, 09:37
blitz906
Okay.

Talking

Actually, they do...they always have. I don't know if you are joking or serious though, so at this point in time...I won't insult your intelligence until I have reason to believe that you are full of shit
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-02-19, 01:00
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

no dude, they play standard
but with 7 string guitars and a 5 bass

Old 2007-02-19, 10:37
blitz906
Okay.

Nein...

I have visited the official Cannibal Corpse forums on many occasions...there is a section in the forum where people ask Alex questions, one of these questions was how the band tune...Alex himself said they all tune down a half step. Even the low B strings on the bass & guitars are tuned down to Bb.
Quote:
Quote:

Old 2007-02-20, 00:28
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

well, you can believe someone on the internet that is probably pretending to be alex, or you can believe me, I asked him in person, like 6 months ago at sounds of the underground. B standard

Old 2007-02-20, 01:48
Valtiel
Supreme Metalhead

blitz906, you arent crazy, that is played different live. Robbie had it right for the album version but the live version is in fact different. Ill try to tab it later.

EDIT: Your tab at the top of the page it actually pretty close. You have the right notes for the most part.
"So often our hands get caught up in ruts of muscle memory. 'Muscle memory' is an accurate term. We get used to doing certain things, without even being aware of them. This ultimately not only shapes and therefore limits our technique, it also shapes what we compose, what we write. We end up thinking still unknowingly trapped in that box." -Adam Nitti

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_bleeding
buy a stick of graphite (art stores) and rub it into your nut

Last edited by Valtiel : 2007-02-20 at 01:50.

Old 2007-02-20, 05:07
blitz906
Okay.

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valtiel
blitz906, you arent crazy, that is played different live. Robbie had it right for the album version but the live version is in fact different. Ill try to tab it later.

Hah, woo! at least I was right about one thing lol...but I'm still damn sure they drop tune a half step.
Anyways yeah, I always knew the live version was different...something about it sounded much more complicated than the recorded version, and it's played higher up on the fretboard, there are alot of higher notes. As for that tab I posted above...I'm not sure if that is exact or not, I doubt it is...I was tired that night when I picked it out by ear, I only spent like 10 minutes doing that so it probably needs some polishing...I'd love to see your take on the live tab. I posted an attachment of the solo along with this message, I ripped it from the video, the notes have alot more clarity on this one as Alex uses some fuzz on all the other live recordings I've seen/heard.

Thanks man!
~Cheers
Attached Files
File Type: zip Hammer Smashed Face.zip (124.4 KB, 82 views)
Quote:
Quote: