MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2005-12-17, 15:16
Amadeus
Quantum.

Women growling

Sure sure, I could browse the forums and pick up some info here and there. But now I'm interested in discussion as much as just the facts. So:
I've become familiar with growling this last year, but insofar I've never heards a female growl. That "Response to Power's emo song" by l'b'xxx (who else) sparked my curiosity though - are there female growlers out there, and in which bands? The woman voice has never struck me as very growling friendly, but as I said I've never heard it myself.
Now - the word is free.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2005-12-17, 15:41
Transient
HES BAAACK

angella glasgow - arch enemy

Old 2005-12-17, 17:55
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

I think the singer of Rancid is a woman. Though that's a punk band, she's very butch.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2005-12-17, 18:21
twiztid rage
New Blood

the singer from rancid is a man I think you are talking about his ex wife who is in a punk band but i can not remember the name and she is pretty hot

Old 2005-12-17, 18:34
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
angella glasgow - arch enemy

Yeah but she is terrible at vocals.

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2005-12-17, 19:22
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twiztid rage
the singer from rancid is a man I think you are talking about his ex wife who is in a punk band but i can not remember the name and she is pretty hot

Brode Dalle?

surely you can't mean her she is fucking horrific!!!!!!

Anyway when i saw akercocke at download festival two years back there was a woman doing fucking amazing gutterals i was like

Old 2005-12-18, 14:59
Amadeus
Quantum.

I find that quite amazing. But then again, there are many people that can do quite amazing things with their voice, no matter the gender.
Say, is there any band with a female growler that you'd recommend, i.e. is good music?

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

Old 2005-12-18, 18:49
Cassius
Senior Metalhead

I quite like Arch Enemy..

Old 2005-12-18, 18:59
Transient
HES BAAACK

i saw otep on tv last night. theres one scarey chick vocalist

Old 2005-12-18, 20:26
genocide circus
Metalhead

Thorr's Hammer

(yes with two r's in Thorr)

A short lived band of Steve O'Malley from Burning Witch, Sunn O))), and about 30 other doom metal bands. with a hot blonde norwegian vocalist chick. They released one album, look it up if you like doom or want to hear some brutal female vox.

Old 2005-12-18, 22:42
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Amadeus--I saw that.

Well, I used to be able to growl when I got really irritated about something and did the whole teeth clenching, gutteral sounding, build up to a blood curdling spewing of almost tangible words, but then I grew out of being a teenager and didn't do it much after that. I'll have to try it again sometime if I can muster the effort and no one is home.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2005-12-19, 04:03
Amadeus
Quantum.

I have no idea what you are talking about.

There is something new to learn with every well placed question. And why wait until you are alone at home? You can have quite fun with it really; just think about it, everyone:
You come home, call out "mom, I'm going out tonight, I won't have time to help clean up" and get confronted with a guttural growl dredged up from the slopes of hell. That would have most you standing at attention, all plans not including a vaccum cleaner and silver polish long since forgotten. Admit it.

Thanks for all the suggestions; I'll look some of them up.

- Carl Sagan

Old 2005-12-19, 11:29
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

And theres that band 'Walls of Jericho'. I'm pretty sure they had a chick singer. Mind you that was four years ago, I can't even really remeber what they sound like. Hardcore metal type shit if I remeber correctly.

Old 2005-12-19, 18:42
The Angry Hobbit
Senior Metalhead

check out Bloodlined Caligraphy. that chick is amazing!

Old 2005-12-19, 19:58
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

Angela Glasgow layers her vocals on albums, and from what I've heard, live she is shit. Most chicks can't do growls, and the ones who can.... I wouldn't fuck.

Old 2005-12-19, 20:16
Throat Crusher
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innards-Decay
Angela Glasgow layers her vocals on albums, and from what I've heard, live she is shit. Most chicks can't do growls, and the ones who can.... I wouldn't fuck.

Your sources are bullshit my freind. I saw her live, and almost splooged. It was tottaly worth it. Although i got her on the first or second day of their Ozzfest Summer Tour. Fucking little bitch ass ozzy canceld his appearnce lol. =) Otep is ok, but she is layerd screaming i think, otep isnt bad live either. If i remember this band, its extremely brutal, has a chick singer. They have a bass player, drummer, and a vocalist... so its crazily raw. Ill find out and post a link.

Old 2005-12-19, 20:29
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throat Crusher
Your sources are bullshit my freind. I saw her live, and almost splooged. It was tottaly worth it. Although i got her on the first or second day of their Ozzfest Summer Tour. Fucking little bitch ass ozzy canceld his appearnce lol. =) Otep is ok, but she is layerd screaming i think, otep isnt bad live either. If i remember this band, its extremely brutal, has a chick singer. They have a bass player, drummer, and a vocalist... so its crazily raw. Ill find out and post a link.

Possibly thors hammer. Their vocalist is the only chick I've heard that is halfway decent. Death metal is a chauvanistic genre and I'm perfectly comfortable with the superior gender acting as the ruling class.

EDIT:And yes, Angela layers her vocals on the CD. Not even Frank Mullen could get that thick of vocals without effects.

Old 2005-12-19, 22:20
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher
Yeah but she is terrible at vocals.

Then you haven't heard any of their new album, because she's got quite a crunchy, manly growl.

Innards, she is very hot too.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2005-12-19, 22:24
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
Innards, she is very hot too.

No.

Plus she's married to Michael Ammot.

Old 2005-12-19, 22:59
ahumansdystopia
Senior Metalhead

well the last band I was in we had a chick singer and her growls were bad ass if you want to hear some out of really shitty recoring you can on www.myspace.com/helplv.

Old 2005-12-20, 13:30
KalimboJoe
New Blood

sufferage

Old 2005-12-20, 13:47
Kai Latvala
Senior Metalhead

Spell Edit*-Angela Gossow.

What metal band hasn't used layering while recording tracks? It's kind of standard as far as I have seen. Gives the music a thicker, more heavy sound.
Our Stuff
Reavers Lament
Snowfall

Old 2005-12-21, 02:01
Throat Crusher
Senior Metalhead

I dont layer my vocals. Their fucked up, but i dont layer, sometimes ill a drop pitch a few degrees and it gets all devourmenty.

Old 2005-12-21, 02:21
Requiem
Post-whore

yes Angela is awesome she made the band alot better

Old 2005-12-21, 09:40
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Arch Enemy are pretty ok i seen em live it was ok they are ok kindof annoying aswell.

Old 2005-12-21, 11:06
Perdition City
Senior Metalhead

I've seen Arch Enemy live and Angela sounded better than on the CD. The only thing I didn't like was that she sometimes did like a "girly scream" and through the loud PA or whatever it was ear piercing. But who cares... she's alot better than that guy they had before her. Easily one of my fav vocalists

Old 2005-12-21, 18:06
Schizoid
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by L,B'XXX
Amadeus--I saw that.

Well, I used to be able to growl when I got really irritated about something and did the whole teeth clenching, gutteral sounding, build up to a blood curdling spewing of almost tangible words, but then I grew out of being a teenager and didn't do it much after that. I'll have to try it again sometime if I can muster the effort and no one is home.

I have a very diverse brutal vox. I sound good in singing in brutal vox but sound corny singing clean so whatever age I do become I'll never sing clean

Old 2005-12-22, 00:03
LuciferianSoul
Metalhead

Black metal band of girls; Astarte.
The vocalist does quite good growling, and her clean singing is also good.

Old 2005-12-23, 09:26
lazyrage
New Blood

a band called Sinister -

Rachel - was it? i'm not sure if she's good but she does gut vocals

and Tairrie B from My Ruin -

not sure about her either but just listing

as a female growler myself i don't really think there are handicaps on either gender. i'd say everyone has their own handicaps- depends on how you overcome them.

i think people tend to be more criticizing when they know it's a female singer - some people only listen to hear if she's 'manly' enough or not. i think that female growlers that have high voices should develop creative styles that suits their pitch of voice instead of trying so hard to imitate men. just the same with anybody - i always try various things and find which is comfortable

Last edited by lazyrage : 2005-12-23 at 09:40.

Old 2005-12-23, 12:30
Seve420
Senior Metalhead

A couple of years ago I got an mp3 of a blackened death, all-chick band. They're called Matriach and the song's Black Apples. The vocalist beats the shit out of Angela for growls and also does falsetto and soprano singing. The band is really quite good....

for chicks.

I'm sick of hearing about Gossow and Arch Enemy.

Fuck em.

Just Click On These
Friendship In School Hours
StraightEdge Tattoo Removalist
The Acid Dancers
Skull Full Of Unicorns

Old 2005-12-23, 12:55
Robbie Filth
The Man Who Is, MGI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve420
I'm sick of hearing about Gossow and Arch Enemy.
Fuck em.

I will second you on that

Old 2005-12-23, 13:49
Kai Latvala
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve420
Fuck Angela Gassow

Our Stuff
Reavers Lament
Snowfall

Old 2005-12-28, 13:05
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Okay, I broke down yesterday and tried it. It sucked. I like my lower register of my voice, but I sounded like Mr.T on helium in a blender trying to growl. I don't think they sound right in my tenor voice so I'll skip it. At least I tried.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2005-12-28, 16:47
Amadeus
Quantum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyrage
as female growler myself i don't really think there are handicaps on either gender. i'd say everyone has their own handicaps- depends on how you overcome them.

i think people tend to be more criticizing when they know it's a female singer - some people only listen to hear if she's 'manly' enough or not. i think that female growlers that have high voices should develop creative styles that suits their pitch of voice instead of trying so hard to imitate men. just the same with anybody - i always try various things and find which is comfortable

Well well, another lady on the forum, and in the death department too. Powers & co, you are beginning to get some class on this joint.

I'm afraid that your suspicion is true, but you also have a point about experimenting. As l'b'xxx put it - find the beat of your own drum and keep marching to it.
I'm a guy and I've never been able to do real growls; I've just had to be satisfied with clean and the occasional scream. Hey, that almost rhymed.

Well, I'm going on the month's CD-harvest this weekend, so maybe I'll just check up on some of your suggestions and come back with further discussion input.
Who knows, I might even be able to piss someone off, being a newbie and all.

- Carl Sagan

Old 2005-12-28, 16:49
Amadeus
Quantum.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L,B'XXX
Okay, I broke down yesterday and tried it. It sucked. I like my lower register of my voice, but I sounded like Mr.T on helium in a blender trying to growl. I don't think they sound right in my tenor voice so I'll skip it. At least I tried.

Sounds kind of cute, you know. Sorry I missed it.

- Carl Sagan

Old 2005-12-29, 00:17
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie Filth
I will second you on that

Yeah me as well. I am sick of them.

Actually I used to know a really amazing female vocalist. She was into Death Metal and Grindcore and what not and she came over to my house and I was playing Devourment-Babykiller on guitar and she started doing the vocals.Like exact!! I was blown away!! She could do all those really low ones and even some cricket type vocals. From what I can remember her favourite bands were Whore, Haemorrhage, Devourment and Rompeprop. LOL She was fucking hot as well. Sorta reminded me of Trish Stratus from WWE? But then she fucking moved back to Portland Oregon.

She still talks to me through e-mail. I might start an e-band type thing with her. Like my drummer and I will send the music to her and she can do the vocals. LOL

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2006-02-01, 03:38
OozingRectalFeast
New Blood

The girl in Warface does growled vocals.

Old 2006-02-01, 03:45
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OozingRectalFeast
The girl in Warface does growled vocals.

Too bad warface sucks.

Old 2006-02-01, 04:32
Cyberwaste
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
i saw otep on tv last night. theres one scarey chick vocalist

I think that chick from Otep uses alot of effects on her voice & the bass dude helps out to get that growl. The thing about her is that she looks good & live while shes singing she acts like she is riding a cock. So its kind of entertaining. Otep would be a much better band without her because at times the music is pretty good but i cant handle that bitches high pitch scream & stupid poems about dudes & shit.

Last edited by Cyberwaste : 2006-02-01 at 04:38.

Old 2006-02-01, 20:21
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberwaste
I think that chick from Otep uses alot of effects on her voice & the bass dude helps out to get that growl. The thing about her is that she looks good & live while shes singing she acts like she is riding a cock. So its kind of entertaining. Otep would be a much better band without her because at times the music is pretty good but i cant handle that bitches high pitch scream & stupid poems about dudes & shit.

Otep sucks. Their stupid anagram of a name is gay, and they have stupid songs.

Old 2006-02-07, 01:22
Doktorskell
Senior Metalhead

http://www.cadaveria.com/video/circle_preview.mpg

The Chick from Cadaveria does good Metal vocals.

She can Growl. Cant remember if she growls in this vid tho

Old 2006-02-12, 11:31
Helvete
Senior Metalhead

dont know if they have already been mentioned: the duch sinister have a female vocalist.

Old 2006-10-08, 05:23
Requiem
Post-whore

The singer from Arkona is a chick she is fucking amazing

Old 2006-10-12, 14:45
I <3 SANDWICH
Metalhead

Female Graaaoooling !!!

Here I'll list the first 4 that come into my head that I don't think have been mentioned yet

I quite like the vocalist from "Fear Of God"

"Immemorial" nice vocals too

"Crisis" that had a female growler, I find them a bit boring though. Give em a listen as they might be more your thing

"Rolo Tomassi" very young, very spazzy but the vocalist has a great vocal range, her screaming is mental and her gutteral growls are heavy as fuck

Old 2006-10-12, 21:08
Ludd
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
"Crisis" that had a female growler, I find them a bit boring though. Give em a listen as they might be more your thing

Agree they are boring as hell, but I did meet that chick one time and she was really fucking cool. Still, boring as hell.

Quote:

And I couldn't agree more. They have a few decent songs but if you put on one of their albums half of it is her reciting bad poetry about being molested. (And I'm guessing she's making that shit up.)