MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2002-07-28, 05:49
Gigantic Penis
Post-whore

overused double bass

double bass is great, but some bands overuse it. it seems like a cheap way to make something fast. threatening skies by obituary is super fast, but the only double bass i hear is during the solo. that shows true drumming talent in my opinion. what do you guys think?

"I guess it all works out in the end"
"Yeah, the REAR end."

-Beavis and Butt-head

Old 2002-07-28, 12:07
bigglen
New Blood

Yeah I thought that was obvious, the best drumming is creative and catchy, right? It makes people tap there feet or jump around banging your head (Depending on your era). To a song, when people Mosh they're Moshing to the drums. Yes double kicking is good but I find it is overused in some songs but it's good in moderation, only for backing in solo's ect.

Old 2002-07-28, 16:34
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

I like the wall of sound effect with blast beats and such, from bands like Morbid Angel and Dimmu Borgir, so I'd disagree. Of course, drums don't stand out to me much unless I specifically listen for them, so that might have something to do with it.

I never fucked a 10, but one night I fucked five 2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.

Old 2002-07-28, 16:52
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

I find the best bands for drumming are Immolation, Beheaded, Gorguts and Cephalic Carnage.

All use blast beats sometimes......but for the most part it's irregular cool sounding drum beats.
Justice the founder of my fabric moved
To rear me was the task of power divine
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love
Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure
All hope abandon, ye who enter here

Against the concert of the Immortals he cannot stand alone.

Old 2002-07-28, 19:07
Katham
I dont believe in gravity
Alumni Staff

Yes, mainly by some black metal bands...

It doesn't happen that often in death metal, or grind...

Atifman wrote: 'Katham is from Hungary, hö?'

Godflesh is good.

Old 2002-07-29, 00:10
Gigantic Penis
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally posted by walpurgis
I like the wall of sound effect with blast beats and such, from bands like Morbid Angel and Dimmu Borgir,

Dimmu definately overuses double bass in my opinion. On puritanical euphoric misanthropia, double bass is everywhere all the time.

"Yeah, the REAR end."

-Beavis and Butt-head

Old 2002-07-29, 00:13
Gigantic Penis
Post-whore

one more thing, kinda unrelated. on PEM by dimmu, dont you think it is funny how in the inside booklet, it shows the band pics, Shagrath is decapitating himself, galder is engulfing an angel, etc and the last pic is Nicolas just standing there? did he not want to have a goofy picture?

"Yeah, the REAR end."

-Beavis and Butt-head

Old 2002-07-29, 00:40
Atheist
Metalhead

For me it is opposite, I absolutely love double bass. Pete Sandoval could be considered to go overkill on the double bass - but its not something that bothers me at all, in fact I like it. A lot of time the tone of the double bass has a lot to do with how you percieve it. Deathmetal usually has a higher pitched click sound for the double bass and blackmetal usually has deeper sounding double bass - but not as fast.

For Morbid Angel I think the double bass adds an extra element to the music that wouldnt be there if the double bass was not there.

Old 2002-07-29, 02:04
walpurgis
Drunken Yeti God
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally posted by Gigantic Penis

Dimmu definately overuses double bass in my opinion. On puritanical euphoric misanthropia, double bass is everywhere all the time.

Actually, that's one of the main reasons I like the stuff off that album so much. Hurray for brutality!!!!!!!!!

And Atheist, I totally agree with you, I love Sandoval's drumming. Dawn of the Angry damn near gives me an orgasm every time I hear it

I never fucked a 10, but one night I fucked five 2's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
You really have no dignity. I would rather have sex with my fifty year old father.

Old 2002-07-29, 05:19
Gigantic Penis
Post-whore

i like double bass too, all im saying is that when dimmu was writing songs it seems like they didnt even think when it came to the drum sections. they needed fast, so they did double bass. Donald Tardy did was really fast on t.skies and he did little double bass. that showed talent. although, i like dimmu's short double bass bursts they sometimes do, that is cool.

heres another question, i heard that bands with heavy double bass will just use a machine for the really long parts if their drummer cant do it.......is this true?

"Yeah, the REAR end."

-Beavis and Butt-head

Old 2002-07-29, 11:40
CtHuLhU DaWn
Supreme Metalhead

Dude, theres little bits of double bass all throughout threatening skies, like

do, do, dododod, do, do, dodododo

Old 2002-07-29, 21:05
Gigantic Penis
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally posted by CtHuLhU DaWn
Dude, theres little bits of double bass all throughout threatening skies, like

do, do, dododod, do, do, dodododo

i'm talking about continuous double bass, it is through the solo only. the intro riff has a few very short spurts

"Yeah, the REAR end."

-Beavis and Butt-head

Old 2002-09-07, 12:33
Hellhammer
New Blood

Sorry to drag this one up, but has anyone heard Decapitated's "Nihility"? Some of the songs in that have pretty interesting double bass patterns, a bit different from the standard continuous pattern. Sure, that can sound good, but can also sound overused as you said. I like sticking little triplets or double speed bits in to break up the pattern if I find myself doing stuff like that.

Mind you (and this kinda defeats my argument), double basses go all the way through Burzum's "Jesus' Tod", but they sound brilliant. Guess it kinda suits the music.

Old 2003-03-14, 00:37
MeTalManiac555
Supreme Metalhead

I liek fast beat's with the double bass but not all the time your right it is overused sometime's bu with the soloing liek you said it sound's pretty good, but I kind of like fast bass beat's!
twilight casts spells on those who espouse their fate

ice pricks necks like knives, leaving shards of cadaverous skin
tears spout from eyes, shunned from mankind's den
(Prayer For Cleansing/ "A Dead Soal Born")

Old 2003-04-18, 15:36
Alothrysis
Senior Metalhead

Although it is pretty basic drumming, Dave Lombardo is awesome, especially on Raining Blood. By basic I mean creativity wise, a lot of Slayer's albums with him drumming are almost the same in the way of dynamics. Also, can't think of his name but the drumming during Deicide's Children of the Underworld is insane! Maybe overused during the verses but somehow it is a good overused, then during the chorus, the galloping triplets sound awesome.

Old 2003-04-18, 15:52
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

listen to the begin part of Anthrax' what doesn't die or contact, im not sure. fucking fast double.

Old 2003-04-24, 00:09
vileangelofdeth
New Blood

I like to hear a drummer that can play the double bass at varying tempos. Vader's drummer and of course Pete Sandoval of Morbid Angel are awesome on the double bass. "Opening of the gates" by morbid angel has the fastest double bass beat ever under the chorus. Derek Roddy is also quite good on the double bass, i read an interview with him and it said he can hit 260 bpm with single stroke bass hits.