MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2005-11-13, 05:35
Helvete
Senior Metalhead

Gear for the practice room

Hi!

I have a band, and we have a pretty shitty sound in our pracc room because of the "not-so-good" gear.
I played over a powermixer until now (shitty sound) and the other guitar-player played with a fender 100 watt combo, which, I think, is ok.

But just yesterday I played with the gear of a guitarist of another band. It was a Marshall preamp (think about 100 watt) and peavey cabinets, and I couldnt believe...it sounded so much better.

So, what are you guys using and what do you recommend me to buy?

As far as I know its not necessary to have this "preamp-cabinets" thing. I just want to know, with what gear I definitely wonīt have a shitty sound. (and pleace not the most expensive stuff, Im young and poor )

thanks already!

Old 2005-11-13, 08:58
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

for practice I use my framus cobra with 2 mesa cabs. A ge-7 equalizer pedal, a korg overdrive pedal to tighten the sound and a isp noice suppressor pedal.

But that's not affordable for everyone I guess. So with a decent half stack. Let's say a crate blue voodoo or crate schockwave you should have a pretty bitchin sound. blue voodoo can be had for around 300 - 400 secondhand. And the schockwave can also be had for 300 - 400 secondhand

As for cabinets. Marshall 1960 cabinets always sound pretty good. And they are pretty affordable.

Just look around on e-bay and you will find alot of decent stuff
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+

Old 2005-11-13, 11:08
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helvete
It was a Marshall preamp (think about 100 watt)

pre-amps don't come with a wattage rating
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2005-11-13, 11:30
Helvete
Senior Metalhead

"head"

Old 2005-11-13, 12:16
JacksonGuitars07
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
"head"

You're giving head? Oh boy, that won't go well with your mother my young metalhead. Just kidding, you do know that there is an edit post button, so you can fix typos and other errors? I'd go with a Behringer V-Ampire gead and Hartke 4x12 Cabinet to get started. The head is not the greatest, but its good for sound expirimenting until you find a tone that you like, and then you can find a new head that specializes in that type of sound. If you somehow end up with 500 bucks, get a Peavy Triple X secondhand. It's a GREAT head.

Presonus Firepod - $425 shipped
Gator 4 Space Rack Case - $75 shipped
Rackmount Tuner - $75 shipped
Pacific Drum Works 5000 Double Bass Pedal - $175 shipped

Old 2005-11-13, 13:16
Helvete
Senior Metalhead

lol...Iīm not young and Iīm not a beginner at all.
I just donīt know much about that amp stuff etc, still I can play my guitar pretty well.

btw...its mostly the way, that the guys who have to impress with their knowledge about all the tech stuff play guitar worst...anyway...thanks for the post. I think Iīm gonna try this "head" and see what it sounds like.

Old 2005-11-13, 13:35
guitar_demon
MotörCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Feet_Under_420
for practice I use my framus cobra with 2 mesa cabs.

damn man nice, what do you use for your actual gigging?

btw-helvete, i suggest you just go to a music store and try outs lots of different combo amps, we can list hundreds of amps to try out but you just need to go play some for yourselve and see what you like
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2005-11-13, 13:49
JacksonGuitars07
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
lol...Iīm not young and Iīm not a beginner at all.
I just donīt know much about that amp stuff etc, still I can play my guitar pretty well.

btw...its mostly the way, that the guys who have to impress with their knowledge about all the tech stuff play guitar worst...anyway...thanks for the post. I think Iīm gonna try this "head" and see what it sounds like.

Actually, you are wrong. There are tons of great guitarists on this forum that are great at playing and that know their tech stuff from experience. So, even if you aren't young, you still are a noob on this forum, so keep your mouth shut like I had to when I was first here. Respect all those with higher rankings. And don't get a Line 6

Line 6 makes me

and

and

Last edited by JacksonGuitars07 : 2005-11-13 at 13:52.

Old 2005-11-13, 14:00
Helvete
Senior Metalhead

Hm, you got 79 posts...ainīt that much...and I joined the forum earlier than you! :P

but, come on, letīs donīt be childish...

I never said that all the guys who know about tech etc. suck at guitar playing. But the ones who canīt play guitar mostly try to impress with knowledge about this tech stuff...nevermind!

I would never buy an amp without playing it before. You never really know what it will sound like.

Old 2005-11-13, 14:05
guitar_demon
MotörCat

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonGuitars07
, you still are a noob on this forum,

so are you

Old 2005-11-13, 14:07
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon
damn man nice, what do you use for your actual gigging?

btw-helvete, i suggest you just go to a music store and try outs lots of different combo amps, we can list hundreds of amps to try out but you just need to go play some for yourselve and see what you like

Thanks man

I also use that setup for gigging. But I store the amp in our practice room. My dad get's kinda annoyed when I have the amp at home. too loud.
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+

Old 2005-11-13, 14:48
JacksonGuitars07
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
so are you

Yes, but I have been here longer than he has.

Old 2005-11-13, 15:00
JacksonGuitars07
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Hm, you got 79 posts...ainīt that much...and I joined the forum earlier than you! :P

but, come on, letīs donīt be childish...

I never said that all the guys who know about tech etc. suck at guitar playing. But the ones who canīt play guitar mostly try to impress with knowledge about this tech stuff...nevermind!

I would never buy an amp without playing it before. You never really know what it will sound like.

Yea, I know, I'm just giving you reccomendations. Buying stuff without playing it isn't always a bad idea, look around e-bay, you might find what is normally a really nice, expensive amp for half the price. That's how I got my marshall mode four. I never even played it, but I bought it for the good deal and it ended up great. Plus, most music stores don't have a great selection of high-end amps, so buying online is a better bet for that.

Old 2005-11-13, 15:19
guitar_demon
MotörCat

Quote:
Yes, but I have been here longer than he has.

really? didnt know may of 04 came after aug of 05...

yea ebay is a damn good place to buy amps, but you can usually still try them out. say that mod 4 you got, you could have still gone to a store and checked out a mod 4 then bought that one on ebay

Old 2005-11-13, 15:58
JacksonGuitars07
Supreme Metalhead

No stores around here had a mode four, its not a big music town, theres only like 3 places, and they only carry entry level to mid level equipment. But it was damn worth the risk of buying before trying.

Old 2005-11-13, 16:11
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
btw...its mostly the way, that the guys who have to impress with their knowledge about all the tech stuff play guitar worst...

that's a lame excuse for not having good gear.

i'm not doubting anyones skills... and i'm not bragging about my own. but i don't see how me having a bunch of nice shit, and knowlegde about it makes me play guitar worse.
it's like those 12 year old kids that have been playing for like 6 months telling ME not to use fx because they "hide your talent" or some lame shit excuse, when really it's because they don't know how to use it.

Old 2005-11-13, 16:17
guitar_demon
MotörCat

thats not what hes saying xdx, hes saying alot of shitty players try and make up for it by learning all they can about gear and shit, so it makes them seem like theyre awsome because they know everything

Old 2005-11-13, 16:21
arvina
Post-whore

aside from the arguement

what type of sound are you going for and how much money you have. eithe way you'll almost get reccomended a crate blue voodoo, shockwave, and from me a peavey ultra for a head. as for cabs look on ebay or go to www.avatarspeakers.com.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
nah man, nah, I had an itchy ballsack!

forget wall of marshalls look at this wall of engls!
http://www.engl-amps.com/pics/newsp..._stevemorse.jpg

www.tdiclub.com

Old 2005-11-13, 20:17
Helvete
Senior Metalhead

Well, I play in a technical death metal band!

Erm, I dont know if I need this "head+cabinets" thing...is it really necessary for a good sound? or are there combos out there which sound really good?

As far as I know, a 100 watt amp is loud enough...I just want a clear sound, because, as I already said, we got a really shitty sound in our practice room.

I dont do much besides guitar playing, so I am able to spend some money on it , but I dont need the most expensive stuff...we are not going to play in big concert halls anyway!

I īm from austria and checked ebay...but didnt find this crate blue voodoo anywhere besides ebay.com...and shipping from the usa is too expensive for me. But thanks for that recommendations anyway

Old 2005-11-13, 20:43
JacksonGuitars07
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Well, I play in a technical death metal band!

Erm, I dont know if I need this "head+cabinets" thing...is it really necessary for a good sound? or are there combos out there which sound really good?

As far as I know, a 100 watt amp is loud enough...I just want a clear sound, because, as I already said, we got a really shitty sound in our practice room.

I dont do much besides guitar playing, so I am able to spend some money on it , but I dont need the most expensive stuff...we are not going to play in big concert halls anyway!

I īm from austria and checked ebay...but didnt find this crate blue voodoo anywhere besides ebay.com...and shipping from the usa is too expensive for me. But thanks for that recommendations anyway

A head and cabinet system I use because if I ever decide to switch styles or whatnot, I can switch to a head more designed for that style. Plus I think a cranked tube head and cab beats a combo any day in terms of sound. You can get a good behringer or hartke cab new for I think 300 bucks, same for a head. And 100watts may or may not be loud enough, if its 100watt tube then yea, but 100watts solid state you'd have to hear it, because solid state wattage varies from company to company (guy at guitarcenter told me this). As for companies close to your area, search for Behringer amps, they are all awesome. And I think my head said made in Germany, so I think that may suit to where you live pretty decently. Well, hope I helped a bit.

Old 2005-11-13, 20:52
Helvete
Senior Metalhead

Our other guitarist uses a Fender 100 Watt Combo and its loud enough.

I thought of Behringer as well, I think its the cheapest out there...I just got no idea what it sounds like. :/

Are Behringer heads and cabs good or just the cabs? Because I have seen a set lately which was like marshall head and behringer cabinet! I dont know if the combination is good...

Old 2005-11-13, 21:08
JacksonGuitars07
Supreme Metalhead

The behringer heads are good, most of them can't go as loud as a Marshall or a Peavy but they go loud enough for practices. If your looking for a long term investment that you can gig with as well, I'd go with a marshall, crate, or peavy. And yea, some combos are good, I just like the flexibility of head+cab, and it looks cool as hell too.

Old 2005-11-13, 21:57
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

omg

Old 2005-11-13, 22:01
guitar_demon
MotörCat

+1 dutchy

Old 2005-11-13, 23:10
YJM04
Post-whore

marshall, crate, kustom, charvin,peavy. are what i trust. line 6/ beringer are no un relyable

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
ibut i wouldnt get any help at a slipknot board, theyre struggling with palm muting!

Old 2005-11-14, 00:48
arvina
Post-whore

you may want to go with a rack setup. you could afford a engl pre amp and a peavey powereamp for pretty cheap. and cabs arnt that hard to come by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
nah man, nah, I had an itchy ballsack!

forget wall of marshalls look at this wall of engls!
http://www.engl-amps.com/pics/newsp..._stevemorse.jpg

www.tdiclub.com

Old 2005-11-14, 02:52
HelpMeHelpYou
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
The behringer heads are good.

I know you're just trying to help but just shut up. Behringer aren't good. Its like me saying go buy a spider II because they're so br000O0oo)Tal. It's just not true. And we all know what you think of line 6( ) as previously stated by JH. Its really frustrating reading you're posts in this thread because they're ALL LIES.

Anyway now that I've got that off my chest and I'm good and chipper again I would recommend to you the same thing as you're gonna see alot of in this forum. Either the Blue Voodoo or the Shockwave. Enjoy.

Old 2005-11-14, 02:58
younguitarist
Post-whore

For practice I use a peavey XXX combo hooked up to a marshall 1960 A cab and it sounds great.

Old 2005-11-14, 07:27
xDeadHandsRisingx
Senior Metalhead

if your really on a tight budget get the poor mans triple xxx, the peavey ultra.
it's very comparible to the XXX's some people even think it sounds better then the xxx's but i don't think so.

Old 2005-11-14, 13:29
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Quote:
The behringer heads are good, most of them can't go as loud as a Marshall or a Peavy but they go loud enough for practices. If your looking for a long term investment that you can gig with as well, I'd go with a marshall, crate, or peavy. And yea, some combos are good, I just like the flexibility of head+cab, and it looks cool as hell too.

anyone remember that n00b that got sigged by xDx that said behringer was nice but expensive?
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2005-11-14, 13:37
John Holland
IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIII
Banned

Here's how I look at the combo vs. head debacle here :

Peavey 5150 combo versus head : Both have 60 watts and extensions out. At the very most, you can run a 4x12 out through the combo head for extra spread if you want, giving you a total of 6 speakers. Its akin to have a 2x12 and a 4x12
and buying a 5150 head --- except you did'nt pay the extra cash. And as far as loudness, this thing on 3 will shake the rafters, and same goes with a BV combo, an XXX combo, a JSX combo, even the ValveKings are pretty good ( and sometimes you can snag a good deal on the Marshall all-tube combos ).

For the gear lords here : I realize that a combo and extension cab won't sound the same as a head and cab, but when you're strapped for cash its works just fine, damnit

In my opinion, you can NEVER go wrong with a 2x12 tube combo, as it costs just about as much as the head version and you get an extension out PLUS the onboard speakers, and if you're going to and fro from practice you can just unplug the combo and take that with you.

Old 2005-11-14, 14:09
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
really? didnt know may of 04 came after aug of 05...
whahaha that dude got owned tripple

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2005-11-14, 15:02
John Holland
Banned

Pfft ... and he stole my opinion of Line 6 ...

LISTEN : Line 6 makes excellent preamps, like the POD, and I don't think anyone can tell me with a straight face that the HD and Vetta are bad amps. Just like any other company, their 250$ solid-state heads just are'nt that great. Yet Behringer seems to have a hard time making anything that holds its own ...

Old 2005-11-14, 15:07
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

I like the line 6 hd 147 very much. It's just fucking overpriced

Old 2005-11-14, 15:28
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast
anyone remember that n00b that got sigged by xDx that said behringer was nice but expensive?

That was our dutchy six_feet_under_420! He was very confused, if i remember right.

Old 2005-11-14, 15:32
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

yup It was me. I kinda mixed 2 brands up

Last edited by Six_Feet_Under_420 : 2005-11-14 at 16:21.

Old 2005-11-14, 15:57
HelpMeHelpYou
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
LISTEN : Line 6 makes excellent preamps, like the POD, and I don't think anyone can tell me with a straight face that the HD and Vetta are bad amps....

But you see most of the time when Line 6 comes up around here for some reason or another it seems to be the Spider II that gets talked about. Instead of some of their better products. I would agree that a POD is a great little gadget and I would also agree that the HD and Vetta can hold their own. I don't understand why they couldn't have just put some better distortion presets on the Spider. Then they could've saved themselves from the deep humilliation of producing it.

Old 2005-11-14, 16:22
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

People are gonna hate me for this but fuck it The distortion from the original spider I actually like. I have a soundclip of it.

Old 2005-11-14, 16:55
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six_Feet_Under_420
People are gonna hate me for this but fuck it The distortion from the original spider I actually like. I have a soundclip of it.
AARHHHH I HATE U NOW MAN

nah i dont, doesnt luke from sleepterror use a line 6 vendette 2 or sumtin
he has a pretty nice sound imo, not my kinda thing though.

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2005-11-14, 17:24
humancorpse
Post-whore

Never tried the original spider, but I think that Spider II has a pretty cool sound.

Old 2005-11-14, 17:37
Helvete
Senior Metalhead

So line6/Spider/Behringer definitely sucks?

blue voodoo and shockwave are pretty expensive.

for example...does this crate head suck? http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_crate_...l_prodinfo.html

i mean, its kinda cheap!

or this hughes&kettner
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_artikel-173013.html

and this marshall:
http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_marsha...p_prodinfo.html

thanks already

Old 2005-11-14, 17:53
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

Quote:

for example...does this crate head suck? http://www.thomann.de/thoiw2_crate_...l_prodinfo.html

i mean, its kinda cheap!

or this hughes&kettner

and this marshall:

thanks already

dude, schokwaves and blue voodoos aren't expensive. They can be had for 300 - 400 used

And I never played that crate nor the H&K head so no opinion on those.

But I did play the marshall. And I'm not a big fan of the mg series. But Maybe you like it. Just try one out

Old 2005-11-14, 17:59
Helvete
Senior Metalhead

Well, im from Austria, and in the austrian/german ebay I cant find any of these heads. And shipping from the USA is too expensive ofc. :/

Old 2005-11-14, 18:24
HelpMeHelpYou
Supreme Metalhead

If you want something cheaper you could go for a POD or a GT-8 or something along those lines, get a power amp and a 2-12 or 4-12 cab and you'd be set.
Or right now I've got a Crate Powerblock and you can get that really cheap. $200-250 and it will probably sound alot better than what you have now.

Old 2005-11-14, 18:33
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpYou
If you want something cheaper you could go for a POD or a GT-8 or something along those lines, get a power amp and a 2-12 or 4-12 cab and you'd be set.
Or right now I've got a Crate Powerblock and you can get that really cheap. $200-250 and it will probably sound alot better than what you have now.

Crate powerblocks sucks.

Old 2005-11-15, 00:02
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

Quote:

i mean, its kinda cheap!

or this hughes&kettner

and this marshall:

thanks already

you picked probably the worst heads from each of those respective companies.

Old 2005-11-15, 02:47
Silent Night 6 6
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture
you picked probably the worst heads from each of those respective companies.

Hahahahah I know haha.

Old 2005-11-15, 13:25
Helvete
Senior Metalhead

tho, they are the cheapest ones.

Old 2005-11-15, 14:51
John Holland
Banned

400$ for a Blue Voodoo or a Shockwave is a great deal, especially considering how you're paying about 150$ more for that jump in quality. If you pay that much less for a Marshall MG you will regret it.

Way too many people strapped for cash are taking the easy way out and just ordering the cheapest thing with 100 watts that's new from Musician's Friend ... you can snag some old Crate s.s. or old Randall heads for around 200$ that perform beautifully, MUCH MUCH better than the new Crate GT120 ( that thing sounds awful, believe me. And separate EQ-for-each-channel MY ASS ). At the very least, get a Marshall 8100 !!!

Last edited by John Holland : 2005-11-15 at 15:36.

Old 2005-11-15, 15:06
Helvete
Senior Metalhead

100 Watt are more than enough for a guitar amp.

Old 2005-11-15, 15:35
John Holland
Banned

For a solid-state head of 100 watts, the vast majority ( especially those under 300$ new ) will sound like a giant piece of wet cardboard slapping against a fat person's belly with the master gain up past 5 when you palm mute.

Old 2005-11-15, 15:47
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holland
For a solid-state head of 100 watts, the vast majority ( especially those under 300$ new ) will sound like a giant piece of wet cardboard slapping against a fat person's belly with the master gain up past 5 when you palm mute.

Omg

Old 2005-11-15, 15:48
John Holland
Banned

I've been on a roll lately.

Old 2005-11-15, 15:57
k13m
Post-whore

or you can buy my digitech gsp 2101

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2005-11-15, 18:13
Helvete
Senior Metalhead

Seriously, what do you need a 300 Watt amp for?
Its just not necessary, in the practice room you canīt be that loud because of the drums and live everything is running over a PA in the end.

Old 2005-11-15, 18:36
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

Quote:
Seriously, what do you need a 300 Watt amp for?
Its just not necessary, in the practice room you canīt be that loud because of the drums and live everything is running over a PA in the end.

But 300 watts provide way more headroom than a 100 watts. And your tone will have more clarity if I'm not mistaking

Old 2005-11-15, 19:09
Helvete
Senior Metalhead

You donīt have to push your 100 watt amp to its limits...it will be loud enough anyway...

Old 2005-11-15, 19:16
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

the advantage of 300w to 100w, (especially in the s.s. realm) is headroom. you can actually turn it up loud enough to jam with a drummer or play a show without getting shitty distortion from your power section.

the point of having 300w is to not use all of it.

i for one, could not get by with a 100w s.s. amp. the headroom isnt enough.

besides.. we can talk about watts all day. but you still have to step back and think... "how does it sound?"

Old 2005-11-15, 19:17
ihave27frets
Senior Metalhead

why dont you stick with what you have for a while and save your money to buy something nice, if you just do a half-ass upgrade now your just going to want to replace it in 6 months for something better. But hey, thats just my opinion.

Old 2005-11-15, 19:53
John Holland
Banned

Quote:
You donīt have to push your 100 watt amp to its limits...it will be loud enough anyway...

No, it won't.

Wait, it will, but it sounds like wet cardboard being slapped against a fat person.
It will be loud enough, but will sound terrible. And it does'nt matter if the tone sucks. I was going to mention WHY 300 watts of solid-state power is a must, but I thought that was basically a given, an issue of common sense.

The way solid-state amps sound, its akin to the way your computer runs : Better when you're using less and less of the hard drive's capacity, but when its almost entirely full, its very slow and unresponsive.

When s.s. amps are cranked beyond a threshold of what commonly seems to be 50% power, the sound starts distorting, and in a way that you did'nt intend. My Crate head runs 350 watts at 2 ohms, and with a unit like the Aphex Aural Exciter 204, I can keep the master volume on three and keep up with a very loud drummer with a score of china cymbals.

100 watts solid state is simply not enough, given the way they make them nowadays. It seems that the old Randalls that Dime used, the old Crate heads that Cannibal Corpse used, and the Ampeg VH-130/140 head that everyone is pining after now were made in such a way that they did'nt have this problem,
which I suppose has helped lead to the common misconception that that Marshall MG is going to hold it together at jamming volume.

The only surefire way to avoid speaker farting is to get a s.s. with tons of wattage, or get a tube amp.

Old 2005-11-15, 20:54
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

I have 200 watt randall half stack as a back up. And it keeps up

Old 2005-11-15, 20:57
John Holland
Banned

Now I will commend Randall --- their s.s. amplifiers are superb.

Old 2005-11-15, 21:13
k13m
Post-whore

i used to play a 160 wats ss poweramp, and a marshall preamp, it just did the job with a drumer, although most 50 or 60 watt tube heads blow me away like a tornado

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2005-11-15, 21:52
JacksonGuitars07
Supreme Metalhead

Its not that I believe Behringer are best, I was just giving suggestions for decent cheap equipment. I use marshall mode four and peavy triple x most of the time.

Old 2005-11-16, 07:08
Helvete
Senior Metalhead

As I already said, our other guitarist is using this 100 Watt Fender combo, and the master volume is always at 3-4...and it really is loud enough! Is your drummer louder than mine?

I just asked my guitar teacher ( who is one of the best guitarists here in austria) about this amp stuff. He said that 100 Watt are more than enough and amps with about 300 watt just arent necessary.
Especially not for a concert, since everything is running over the PA there.

Seriously, I dont know who of u guys is right now! Everyone is telling me something different.

My teacher told me also that one of the best guitarists he personally knows is using a small combo with about 50-80 Watt and he is playing really big concerts. Maybe this amp stuff is just hyped and when it comes to really brutal distortion you wonīt hear that much difference anyway I think. If the PA sucks, the sound will be shitty, no matter if you have a 100 watt amp or a 300 watt mesa boogie one.

Old 2005-11-16, 09:57
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

let me get this straight. You play in a tech death metal with a 100 watt fender in the same room ? What kind of a fender is it ?

Old 2005-11-16, 13:53
Helvete
Senior Metalhead

You donīt need the best equipment to play technical stuff...

Old 2005-11-16, 16:36
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
You donīt need the best equipment to play technical stuff...

you don't need the best equipment to play anything. but you're totally missing the point. it's a fender, fender makes some shit amps, and some great amps. but most fender amps are CLEAN amps... and you say you play technical death metal. he wants to know what amp it is.

anyways... as far as wattage goes. 100w s.s. might be enough for you volumewise(must have a soft handed drummer)... but that still means jack shit. you really need to think, HOW DOES IT SOUND?

alot of amps are 100w, some are shit and some are not. an amp is not simply a box of watts. it's something that shapes your sound. i have three amps, all are 100w, does that mean that mg100 is just as good? don't kid yourself.

i'm doubting your teachers understanding of how wattage relates to volume and if he understands the difference between a tube amp and a s.s. amp. being a great guitarist has nothing to do really with knowledge of gear.

the actual volume difference between a 300w head and a 100w head is maybe like 3 to 4db, and as i said before, it's a headroom issue. being able to turn a 300w head up and be as loud as the 100w head, but without the shitty poweramp distortion.
now if we were talking tube amps, headroom may not be an issue, and that's where the 50-80w combo can come in. because tubes breakup in a much more musical way.that's why alot of people will by a 50w tube head instead of something else. they want the breakup.

for concerts, some places mic you, some places don't. you're playing the local stadium? definately a mic... you're playing at the bar & grill down the street? maybe not.

not to mention, band practice. not all bands have huge PA's in there bandrooms. you need to make sure your amp is loud enough for that.

yet in the end, still.... how does it sound?

Old 2005-11-16, 16:38
HelpMeHelpYou
Supreme Metalhead

But hes just saying that fender doesn't have the greatest distortions usually. Mostly they're known for their cleans. Aside from the Metalhead because we all know that that thing is freakin' br00tal

Old 2005-11-16, 16:41
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelpMeHelpYou
But hes just saying that fender doesn't have the greatest distortions usually. Mostly they're known for their cleans. Aside from the Metalhead because we all know that that thing is freakin' br00tal

Yeah I know, those metalheads rule

Old 2005-11-16, 17:01
HelpMeHelpYou
Supreme Metalhead

If they had effects they'd almost be as brutal as the Spider II. And thats pretty hard to do ya know I wanna go into a store now and turn everything up to 10 on that thing and try turning all the effects on. that'd be so freakin awesome. I think I might actually shit a little in the presence of such br0000tality