MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2005-11-02, 11:53
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Learning to breathe from the diaphragm

I did a search and found a thread, but powers' had locked it. I know there's been questions about how to breathe while singing and this explanation was very good for beginners and those that want to make sure they're doing it right. If you'd like to read about improving your breathing for general health benefits this is the link, otherwise I copied the information that is utilized for singing. I had to relearn to do it after my lung spasmed due to asthma because all I could do was lung breathing. http://www.realage.com/research_library/searchResults.aspx?link=crsfiles/aha/aha_breathex_sha.htm

Old 2005-11-02, 11:54
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

Diaphragm breathing

* Lie on your back with your knees bent and supported by pillows.
* Place your fingers on your belly just below your ribcage.
* As you inhale deeply, your belly and lower ribs should rise while your chest remains fairly still. Inhale for a count of 3 and exhale for a count of 6. Slightly puckering your lips can help you exhale slowly.

With practice, you should be able to use diaphragm breathing to take a dozen such breaths without tiring. When you have mastered this, try it standing. Finally, practice it while walking or even climbing stairs. You may also try it with your lips puckered while you inhale.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2005-11-03, 06:03
Amadeus
Quantum.

Can't say I find it that difficult, not in itself. But you're saying that basically this is the way one should breath when singing?

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2005-11-04, 01:33
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

No I'm new threads. That's why it was locked. But yeah, I searched all threads and noticed there aren't any real explainations but one in the sticky thread on page 7.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2005-11-07, 13:02
L,B'XXX
dsnt trust ne1 < 30

powers, it might have been the words I used to do the search because nothing showed up for me. This just looked like one of the best explanations I've seen and it was easy to understand. I see why you locked the other thread.

Amadeus, I started getting some vocal training when I was in 4th grade and started in the church youth choir. We had an excellent director that was like a more bubbly version of Beverly Sills and a voice close to that, too. When my lung quit on me I breathed more in my lungs than in my diapragm and I always prided myself on being able to sing long passages in one breath before that. I was lucky at first to be able to sing 4 or 5 closely sung words for almost a year. It took a lot of concentration to do something that had been second nature for over 30 years. So it might come naturally to you, but sometimes other people don't know how to get the best support and some of us have to relearn it.

-wally: Mom, you shouldn't play after me because it makes you sound even worse than you already do. -wally:*grumbles and whispers quietly* I guess it's cuz I love you or something, but you're still a TURD
Grimm:I could read your mind but its in font size .5
Amadeus:Oh, and was there a cesserole (never mind spelling) involved?
Paddy:the fact that you didn't end up on a kids show makes me question my atheism
Dyldo: You evil strumpet!

Old 2005-11-07, 21:09
Transient
HES BAAACK

thanks a lot, im going to practice this

Old 2005-11-07, 21:42
Amadeus
Quantum.

Oh, I see. Well, I have practiced singing for quite a while, it may be that. Thanks for the info, I'll be sure to remember it. Got any other tips on the subject of breathing/singing techniques?

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein