MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2006-08-16, 02:55
FesteringCorpse
Metalhead

Cheers Davie Gravy. Found the aeolin mode it's like every combination of notes could be a power metal song. I'm gonna have heaps of fun, cheers

Old 2006-08-24, 15:28
Amadeus
Quantum.

So true; music's a wonderful thing.

I was wondering - does anyone here know anything fun or degrading about the brand LTD?

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

"Imagination is more important than intelligence" - Einstein

Old 2006-08-25, 03:03
deanguitars
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
So true; music's a wonderful thing.

I was wondering - does anyone here know anything fun or degrading about the brand LTD?

they're shitty guitars. there you go.

on a serious note, why.

Old 2006-08-25, 05:48
Amadeus
Quantum.

Since I'm the owner of a generally appreciated flying V of that brand.

"He preferred the hard truth over his dearest illusion. That, is the heart of science."
- Carl Sagan

Old 2006-08-25, 06:11
deanguitars
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
Since I'm the owner of a generally appreciated flying V of that brand.

good for u, but why are u trying to something degrading about it if u like the fucking thing. im failing to understand

Old 2006-08-25, 08:47
Amadeus
Quantum.

Yes, I can see that.
My curiosity springs from the fact that I own a guitar from LTD but can't seem to find much about them on the net.
My phrasing comes from a random evil-mindedness.

- Carl Sagan

Old 2006-08-25, 14:30
Heavy Jerk
Metalhead

Are u serious dude?
LTD is the trademark of ESP, that's their way to labell cheaper guitars in their line, i don't noe where they r making them, but all LTD guitars with floyds come with licensed floyd, so u see what i'm talking 'bout. They r not necesarilly bad guitars, but not amazing also.

Old 2006-08-27, 21:00
deathmetalsk8er666
New Blood

Hey, I have a retarded question for this thread, since its for obvious ?'s (but the person asking them has no way to know the answer): when i first got my (new) guitar, I did NOT take the clinging plastic off the humbuckers untill 6 months after.(because tiny shreds were interefering with playing.) WOULD my axe's tone be better if I had taken that plastic off as soon as I got home? Its a Samick Ultramatic, and its paired with a Kustom Dual 30 Rc amp. when I play on the "lead (just dist.)" channel, it sounds like a goddamn airplane. I now use a Digitech Death Metal pedal, and its great and all, but would I have had not ruined the tone if I had taken theplastic off?

Old 2006-08-27, 22:05
Six_Feet_Under_420
Post-whore

If your guitar has plastic over the pickup you take it off immediatly after you bought it. I even take it of in the store 'cause it just bugs me -__-
+-+ .....::::: Alive to Live, Not to Believe....In a God that I cannot see :::::..... +-+

Old 2006-08-28, 01:56
deathmetalsk8er666
New Blood

Oh, ya I wish I would of known that a year and 2 months ago. seriously thanks though, now I know that for future axes =

Old 2006-09-02, 01:54
FesteringCorpse
Metalhead

i dont like em coz i play Jackson and they're stealing Jackson players by giving them a signature guitar eg Alexi, Hanneman, Mustaine.

Old 2006-09-02, 02:48
OD3X1
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by FesteringCorpse
i dont like em coz i play Jackson and they're stealing Jackson players by giving them a signature guitar eg Alexi, Hanneman, Mustaine.

Blame Fender for that. Prior to the buyout Mustaine was receiving 11 guitars a year. Under Fenders control he would only receive two. Can you blame him for going to ESP?
BTW, Hanneman has played ESP for a long time now.

Old 2006-09-02, 22:55
JOAMdude
Post-whore

My springs ( you kno, at the bridge) are rusting. I do not have a trem or anything, but is this a cause for concern. (i don't adjust them, i have my strings just the way i like them). thx

Old 2006-09-04, 00:46
deanguitars
Senior Metalhead

i dont understand how a 7 sting guitar works is it supposed to be like having standard tuning and droped d?

Old 2006-09-04, 01:34
Dyvim Tvar
Supreme Metalhead

It's like having a 6 string and an extra lower string tuned to B

Take her from behind, then pretend like you're gonna cum, retract and spit on her back.
Then when she turns around blow your load in her face

Old 2006-09-04, 02:01
deanguitars
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyvim Tvar
It's like having a 6 string and an extra lower string tuned to B

i guess im going to have to play one to understand

Old 2006-09-04, 02:39
YJM04
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deanguitars
i guess im going to have to play one to understand

its not that completcated. its like a 5 string bass. just a bass would be lower

Quote:
Originally Posted by User01
ibut i wouldnt get any help at a slipknot board, theyre struggling with palm muting!

Old 2006-09-04, 03:15
deanguitars
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJM04
its not that completcated. its like a 5 string bass. just a bass would be lower

yeah i know i its probaly not complicated but where i live i have to drive 4 hours to a guitar store. i would love to have one

Old 2006-09-04, 03:42
YJM04
Post-whore

Quote:
yeah i know i its probaly not complicated but where i live i have to drive 4 hours to a guitar store. i would love to have one

or you could just buy one off the internet

Quote:
ibut i wouldnt get any help at a slipknot board, theyre struggling with palm muting!

Old 2006-09-04, 03:56
deanguitars
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
or you could just buy one off the internet

to be honest im thinking about ordering a custom bc rich steath

Old 2006-09-04, 14:12
YJM04
Post-whore

Quote:

tell u the truth i dont think b.c. rich is a trustable brand. well at least the lower end ones suck

Quote:

Old 2006-09-04, 15:34
deanguitars
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
tell u the truth i dont think b.c. rich is a trustable brand. well at least the lower end ones suck

oh yeah i know but there handmades are probaly one of the best feeling guitars in the u.s, and the bronx series , nj series, are probaly the worst playing guitars. but thats with most guitar companys.
oh, i got to play a 7 string today i love it. im definetly giong toget one.

Old 2006-09-05, 00:11
JOAMdude
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude
My springs ( you kno, at the bridge) are rusting. I do not have a trem or anything, but is this a cause for concern. (i don't adjust them, i have my strings just the way i like them). thx

Could you plz answer this

Old 2006-09-05, 04:04
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

I would say it would be a problem if they are rusted to the point that they're weak... but I wouldn't see what a lil rust wouldn't hurt.

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2006-09-05, 16:30
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:

I've always wanted a Stealth shaped guitar. Eventually when I get a shitload more money after I finish college(5 more years ) I plan on getting a slew of Moser Custom Shop guitars. And hopefully Neal will be willing and/or allowed to make me a Stealth shape guitar. If not, I guess I'l order one from BC Richs custom shop.

Old 2006-09-05, 17:42
Sic_Fitzravia
Metalhead

Does anyone can provide me the effects used by Steve Vai for the song "Building the Church" on G3 live in Japan? he's inlays on that Mojo guitar is kinda cool.

Old 2006-09-07, 02:54
UnstatisfiedDesire
New Blood

i dont know if that question was allready asked and answered before ( read to page 2 and thats it)if it did well... i'm sorry, but what is the diffrence between a a 7string guitar and a 6string? more notes obviously...what else?

cheers

Old 2006-09-07, 03:42
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstatisfiedDesire
i dont know if that question was allready asked and answered before ( read to page 2 and thats it)if it did well... i'm sorry, but what is the diffrence between a a 7string guitar and a 6string? more notes obviously...what else?

More notes mean more octaves. So you can register lower octaves than a 6 string for a heavier sound unless you retune the 6 string.

Old 2006-09-08, 14:09
Heavy Jerk
Metalhead

Wink

Yeah, becasue 7string standard tuning , from low to high, is BEADGBE, with 6th and 7th string is like you are using 6 string gtr in B tuning(BEADF#B), so you have B and E on your 6th and 7th string, and still with the first 6 strings(from low to high EADGBE) you are in a standard E tuning. So it's like, you are still able to play all the high notes on the high E string but with that 6th and 7th string you can get extra low, in some ways brutal sound, good for chording. Hope you get this

Old 2006-09-09, 00:54
UnstatisfiedDesire
New Blood

Ohhh wow! then i must get seven string guitar! hey thanks man

cheers

Old 2006-09-10, 14:43
Heavy Jerk
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnstatisfiedDesire
Ohhh wow! then i must get seven string guitar! hey thanks man

You welcome. Cheers

Old 2006-09-13, 20:39
tmpnshmnt2000
New Blood

Picks?

Never used this before but, need help. Iam just looking for a website that sells jim dunlop small teardrop picks in the refill bags. I used to buy 'em locally for like $13.00 bucks a bag with 36 picks. Ebay has 'em but, like $14.00 for 12.

Old 2006-09-14, 03:23
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmpnshmnt2000
Never used this before but, need help. Iam just looking for a website that sells jim dunlop small teardrop picks in the refill bags. I used to buy 'em locally for like $13.00 bucks a bag with 36 picks. Ebay has 'em but, like $14.00 for 12.

Dude, one word..... GOOGLE!

Old 2006-09-14, 03:34
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Hell Yeah I can't wait for google to come up with an OP... or some kind of musical software actually.

Old 2006-09-14, 23:57
deanguitars
Senior Metalhead

does the dimarzio x2n sound good in mohagony bodies thats tuned to b? does it sound better than my fucking dimebucker.

Old 2006-09-15, 15:02
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I dont see why it wouldnt. Ive never tried the Dimebucker, but from what I hear the X2N is much better.

Old 2006-09-15, 16:38
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
does the dimarzio x2n sound good in mohagony bodies thats tuned to b? does it sound better than my fucking dimebucker.

I have an X2N in my Ibanez, my brother has a Dimebucker in his Jackson. I think the X2N has a just slightly bigger balls than the Dimebucker.

Old 2006-10-22, 19:50
Pr0az
Post-whore

Well guys i have a question about my pickup's. My guitar want pickup Pitch harmonics at all on the 2 bottom strings(largest) and barely on the 3 top strings(smallest). However, i can get on my friends guitar and pick them up like crazy. The guitar i have i belive is an older model with V7 humbucker brige, S7 single co., and a V8 humbucker. Could one of these pickups be blown and causing it to act the way it does? If not are the pickups just shitty? If so can someone recommend some pickups?(Emgs maybe?)

Last edited by Pr0az : 2006-10-22 at 20:03.

Old 2006-10-22, 20:42
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0az
Well guys i have a question about my pickup's. My guitar want pickup Pitch harmonics at all on the 2 bottom strings(largest) and barely on the 3 top strings(smallest). However, i can get on my friends guitar and pick them up like crazy. The guitar i have i belive is an older model with V7 humbucker brige, S7 single co., and a V8 humbucker. Could one of these pickups be blown and causing it to act the way it does? If not are the pickups just shitty? If so can someone recommend some pickups?(Emgs maybe?)

I can hit pinch harmonics (A, E strings) on my Ibanez loaded with the V7/S1/V8 combo. Really any high output pickup should be able to do em. EMG, DiMarzio, and Seymour Duncan all make models capable of sqealing the fuck out of some pinch harmonics.

Old 2006-10-22, 20:42
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr0az
could also be the wood, some woods have better overtone responses than others. also active emg's are known to make harmonics easier.

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-11-04, 14:11
zomg
New Blood

Pinch harmonics are almost impossible on my guitar. They sound decent on the 5 lowest frets on the last 4 strings, but thatŽs it. I hope that has more to do with my guitar being a 20 year old Yamaha RGX112 with original bridges than with me sucking.

Old 2006-11-12, 17:58
Vince
New Blood

I guys!!
About the one who cant get armonics with the yamaha,in my case i'd prefer to be me failing than the guitar .hehe!!
Whell..
I was about to change my pickups,iŽm willing to get the emg Zack Wild set (81,85),but!!...
I saw many apinions about emgs and other pickups..i dont know.At the moment iŽm playing a dxmg Jackson,with alder body , maple neck and rosewood fretboard.It has a set of 2 passive emg hz (h3) pickups.What you people recomends me?Should i keep these pickups or should i buy the active emg's,(they cust arround 200€,the set,I dont want to be disapointed with)?
Oh!All of these to play metal,right..

Last edited by Vince : 2006-11-12 at 18:08.

Old 2006-11-12, 18:09
deanguitars
Senior Metalhead

zomg what pickups are u using

vince i really like dimarzio x2n.
emgs are cool too.

Old 2006-11-12, 20:04
Darkness-Of-Christ
New Blood

I've got a question: In Total Guitar magazine a while back there was an article about how to get the most brutal guitar tone possible and one guy said don't ever use active pickups. Why do so many metal players use EMG's then? What do you guys think?

Old 2006-11-12, 21:49
screamface78
New Blood

hey i play guitar and i wazz thinkin of takin bass lessons do u think that would help my guitar playing

Old 2006-11-12, 23:52
deanguitars
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkness-Of-Christ
I've got a question: In Total Guitar magazine a while back there was an article about how to get the most brutal guitar tone possible and one guy said don't ever use active pickups. Why do so many metal players use EMG's then? What do you guys think?

emgs have a built in preamp so the type of wood doesnt matter, it gives you same sound no matter what guitar you put in.also they're sound is sterile. but the fact it has alot gain is why alot metal players use it.

Old 2006-11-13, 18:36
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamface78
hey i play guitar and i wazz thinkin of takin bass lessons do u think that would help my guitar playing

Yes! It will greatly benefit your playing and allow you understand the other side of the music (from the bassists standpoint). I also recommend learning to play the drums to a degree as well.

Old 2006-11-13, 18:42
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:

EMG's are great for lead players. They cut through very well but, many complain about the tone being too 'sterile.' I can't give my personal opinion on this because I don't own any EMG active pups. It's obvious they got something right though... Just about any good death metal band out there has someone playing em as well as Metallica, Slayer, and Zakk Wylde.

Old 2006-11-13, 18:47
Vince
New Blood

Quote:
zomg what pickups are u using

vince i really like dimarzio x2n.
emgs are cool too.

I saw the x2n,its realy that kind of poles i like in passive pickups,but the color...does it comes in other color?I cant imagine my guitar with something...white on it,uuhh...

Old 2006-11-13, 19:08
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
I saw the x2n,its realy that kind of poles i like in passive pickups,but the color...does it comes in other color?I cant imagine my guitar with something...white on it,uuhh...

Those arent really considered poles, their bar magnets. The bobbins come in different colors, but the bar magnet is always black.

Check out http://www.dimarzio.com/ under high output humbuckers if you want to know the various colors the X2N comes in.

Old 2006-11-13, 19:27
screamface78
New Blood

thanx dude i proably will pick up the drums next year

Old 2006-11-17, 19:24
Darkness-Of-Christ
New Blood

What is the sickest most brutal pick-up out there? I've heard that EMGs sound pretty thin so what pick-up generally gives the heaviest sound?

Old 2006-11-18, 10:40
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
What is the sickest most brutal pick-up out there? I've heard that EMGs sound pretty thin so what pick-up generally gives the heaviest sound?

The Dimarzo X2N! It's brutal as fuck! I got one in the bridge of my Ibanez RG and it straight up rips your face off.

Old 2006-11-18, 10:54
zomg
New Blood

Quote:
zomg what pickups are u using.

Well, the same ones as when the guitar was bought 20 years ago. But, wow, from what I read here, pickups have a BIG influence on the ultimate sound youŽre getting.

Old 2006-11-18, 17:06
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomg
Well, the same ones as when the guitar was bought 20 years ago. But, wow, from what I read here, pickups have a BIG influence on the ultimate sound youŽre getting.

+1 You can take a shit guitar and put a set of badass pickups in it, and wham you got a GREAT sounding guitar.

Old 2006-11-19, 12:18
Vince
New Blood

About the x2n;

I found this review at musiciansfriend.com:

Too muddy and honkey
Features: Features: 5 5
Quality: Quality: 4 4
Value: Value: 4 4
Overall: Overall: 4 4
spacer Exit to Eternity from New York
Experience: I own it
Background: Active musician
Style of Music: Metal, Rock, Blues, ect...
Product: DiMarzio DP102 X2N Pickup
Sep 21, 2006 - First off, my main style of music is heavy metal. Anything from old school Metallica, to Pantera and Slayer. I also play blues and other styles, so I've tested this pickup out in many different areas. I had the X2N in a Jackson USA Kelly for about 4 years. The pickup definitely looks cool, but its definitely not my sound. It's way too muddy and honky. The bass response is pretty decent, but the overall tone is pretty shitty. I've played it through a Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier, both a JCM2000 TSL & DSL, a JCM 900, JCM 800 50 watt & 100 watt with a Zakk Wylde distortion pedal, a Krank Krankenstein, and various combo amps. The best amps that fit the pickup were either the Marshall JCM 2000 TSL & DSL. For leads, the pickup is pretty decent because it has a decent cut and bite. But for rhythms, its way too muddy. Another problem I had with the pickup was the magnetic pull. The magnets are so strong in the pickup that it eventually became a slight problem setting the guitar up. I had to greatly lower the pickup. If your looking for a killer metal pickup, and your not satisfied with the dynamics of EMG's, check out the Dimebucker. Its a little treblely, but its clear as a bell and is hot as hell. I hope this helped, good luck!

Old 2006-11-25, 19:11
Darkness-Of-Christ
New Blood

Question for Cannibal Corpse fans: What tuning is used for the song 'Death Walking Terror'? Is it Bb?

Old 2006-11-25, 21:47
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Question for Cannibal Corpse fans: What tuning is used for the song 'Death Walking Terror'? Is it Bb?
http://metaltabs.com/tab/10961/ it says A# / Bb on this tab.

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-11-26, 19:47
Darkness-Of-Christ
New Blood

I've just found another tab which seems to be accurate and the tuning is G# C# F# B D# G#. I guess I'll just have to try it out.

Old 2006-12-02, 14:16
deathxleprosyx
Senior Metalhead
Banned

death

hey what tuning did death usually use

Old 2006-12-02, 14:22
Darkness-Of-Christ
New Blood

I think Death use the tuning D,G,C,F,A,D for quite a few songs. I could be wrong however.

Old 2006-12-02, 22:12
666petthylord666
Metalhead
Banned

does anyone no wat the devils note is and does anyone no how to play it. ive heard about it alot but idk wat it is.

Old 2006-12-02, 22:26
k13m
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666petthylord666
does anyone no wat the devils note is and does anyone no how to play it. ive heard about it alot but idk wat it is.
never heard ofit, sounds to me like something a kid made up to be cool.

< no wonder hes mad!!

Old 2006-12-03, 02:51
666petthylord666
Metalhead
Banned

ya i guess. i was just askin because ive heard people talk about it but for some strange reason noone knew how to play it. it might be just a fake chord.

Old 2006-12-03, 07:24
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666petthylord666

Um.. the devil's interval is the tritone or the flattened 5th invertal (b5). If your in E, it's Bb. Hold a E note, then change and hold a Bb and you'll hear the relationship and the sense of 'evil' it portrays.

Old 2006-12-03, 07:33
666petthylord666
Metalhead
Banned

o ok thx. keep rockin. cute kid by the way.

Old 2006-12-04, 19:23
deathxleprosyx
Senior Metalhead
Banned

thanx dude about the death tuning

Old 2006-12-09, 12:15
deathxleprosyx
Senior Metalhead
Banned

do u guys know any easy deathmetal songs cause i need something to get my fingers moving keep in mind I have been playing for 13 months and i am okay at it

Last edited by deathxleprosyx : 2006-12-09 at 12:18. Reason: spelling suks

Old 2006-12-10, 10:31
Darkness-Of-Christ
New Blood

Easy death metal songs........well I suppose you could try some Cannibal Corpse stuff if you're able to use low tunings on your guitar. I've been learning 'Death Walking Terror' and 'Decency Defied' and the riffs aren't really that difficult. They stiff get your fingers going mind you!

Old 2006-12-10, 14:18
deathxleprosyx
Senior Metalhead
Banned

Talking

okay thanx man I will try death walking terror

Old 2006-12-10, 15:17
moe_blunts
wigger/redneck/drunkard

i need help learning how to play crazy, hectic-like solos, similar to that of kerry king or trey abzbjhiasdhfas (fuck it, i cant spell that shit). anyways, does anyone know a good scale or song to learn how to improvise that shit?

http://www.last.fm/user/moe_blunts/

Old 2006-12-11, 14:57
Amadeus
Quantum.

Me, no. Anyone reading this, please note the question above since I couldn't bear to be accused of pushing someone aside on an internet forum by a group of strangers.

I was wondering if anyone know any good - reliable - sites were you can read up on the technical aspects of for example the guitar, or other instruments for that matter. Like, what is the practical difference between different materials and why, how exactly does all the different kinds of amps actually work, and if anyone can give an explanation to the third pedal on a piano better than Victor Borge's, so much the better.

- Carl Sagan

Old 2006-12-14, 15:22
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
i need help learning how to play crazy, hectic-like solos, similar to that of kerry king or trey abzbjhiasdhfas (fuck it, i cant spell that shit). anyways, does anyone know a good scale or song to learn how to improvise that shit?

I would say if you want to play like slayer, practice chromatics alot, throw on a wah pedal, use a whammy bar alot and just experiment with different patterns across the fretboard.
As for Trey Azagthoth, i wouldnt really know where to begin to play like him. I know he uses a phaser, Alesis Quadreverb and Eventide Harmonizer as some of his effects (i really want an Eventide Ecplise ) I think someone posted a link once to a site that had a lesson that Trey did in some guitar mag. It was how to increase speed and accuracy and it also had a the entire tab of the solo of Where the Slime Lives.

Old 2006-12-16, 17:46
deathxleprosyx
Senior Metalhead
Banned

my guitar strings recently are becoming realy lose and almost brocken i was wondering if it has to do with the tempature

Old 2006-12-16, 18:29
the_bleeding
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathxleprosyx
my guitar strings recently are becoming realy lose and almost brocken i was wondering if it has to do with the tempature

if you don't tell me anything about the temperature, well i just cant answer your question. DETAILS.
personally, i'd just say theyre old strings and its time to get some new ones.
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Old 2006-12-16, 19:41
deathxleprosyx
Senior Metalhead
Banned

it is preety cold out and i got new strings on it two weeks ago

Old 2006-12-20, 08:47
Beowulf44
Metalhead

Ok, noob with a question. I am the epitome of what beginner is. How do I play a tab like this...

E--------------------------
B--------------------------
G--------------------------
D----9--8--7--6--5--4----
A--------------------------
E----7--6--5--4--4--3----

In other words, what do I do with the A string? Do I play it anyway? Or do I pluck the D while picking the E, and thus ignore the A?

Old 2006-12-20, 14:29
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Let your index finger, which is fretting your low E, rest gently against the A string which will mute it from creating any unwanted noise. Then just strum on thru.

Old 2006-12-21, 19:55
deathxleprosyx
Senior Metalhead
Banned

i was reading a guitar magazine i think it was guitar one and some guy said something about squeal harmonics what would be an example of that and how would i do it

Old 2006-12-21, 20:46
moe_blunts
wigger/redneck/drunkard

morbid angel solos, slayer solos......dimebag used em heavily. squealing just means playing a harmonic and then pullin back the whammy bar. dimebag does a lesson on them....youtube it.

http://www.last.fm/user/moe_blunts/

Old 2006-12-24, 04:14
Beowulf44
Metalhead

Ok, I have two questions...

1)
----------------------------------
-3"-2--6"-3--5"-2--3"-2--1"-0-

When it tells me to tremolo pick the " notes, does that mean I play em twice?

2)
E--------------------------------------------
H-------------------------------------------
G---------------------------------------7--
D------------------------------7---9-7-----
A--------------7-8-7-5-7-8-9---9---------
E---7-7-9-10-----------------------------
In particular, I am refering to the notes in bold. Do you guys usually use different fingers to fret the notes, or do you just slide your finger over? I prefer to just slide my fretting finger over, instead of using a new one, but the note ends up with a very unclean sound. Suggestions?

Last edited by Beowulf44 : 2006-12-24 at 04:17.

Old 2006-12-24, 07:24
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

I think the trem picking would be 4 notes per ", not for sure. On the second part, I use a different finger so I have more control.

Old 2006-12-24, 10:39
Deathmaster213
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf44
Ok, I have two questions...

1)
-3"-2--6"-3--5"-2--3"-2--1"-0-

When it tells me to tremolo pick the " notes, does that mean I play em twice?

2)
E--------------------------------------------
H-------------------------------------------
G---------------------------------------7--
D------------------------------7---9-7-----
A--------------7-8-7-5-7-8-9---9---------
E---7-7-9-10-----------------------------
In particular, I am refering to the notes in bold. Do you guys usually use different fingers to fret the notes, or do you just slide your finger over? I prefer to just slide my fretting finger over, instead of using a new one, but the note ends up with a very unclean sound. Suggestions?

1. It really depends on the phrasing of the riff, and the note value of the note to be tremolo picked. For example, if a note last for half a bar, you would expect it to be played 8 times if it was tremolo picked in 16ths, or depending on the tempo, 16 times if it was 32nd notes. Looking at that tab, the phrasing is probably quite short (assuming the note spacing represents phrasing) so it probably is 2 or 4. Unless it has a triplet feel...then it could be 3 or 6! You really have to listen to the song and play along, and go with what fits.

2. Totally up to you. Whatever you can do to play it fast/tight/clear enough, that you can do comfortably.

Old 2006-12-24, 16:52
Vince
New Blood

Hello people!

I have a question, if sombody knows about tremolos, my jackson came wiyh a JT 580 licensed Floyd, Does someone know if i can replace it by a schaller or original floyd, without re ruting the the stuff?

Beowulf44;

About your second question, the sound may be dirty becouse you dont release your finger enougt on previus string so you can mute it at the moment you play the second note.

Last edited by Vince : 2006-12-24 at 17:11.

Old 2006-12-26, 23:02
deathxleprosyx
Senior Metalhead
Banned

i have been trying to do thrash solo's and was wondering if their are some scales i should learn to get better cause my solo's are bad

Old 2006-12-27, 03:01
Beowulf44
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince
Hello people!

I have a question, if sombody knows about tremolos, my jackson came wiyh a JT 580 licensed Floyd, Does someone know if i can replace it by a schaller or original floyd, without re ruting the the stuff?

Beowulf44;

About your second question, the sound may be dirty becouse you dont release your finger enougt on previus string so you can mute it at the moment you play the second note.

Well, I see what youre saying, but my problem is of a different nature. That unclean sound I was refering to is a bit of a metallic sound, like, you can hear the note, but its dirty and has some metallic vibration sound. I thought the problem was the way I was fretting it, but funny enough, no matter HOW I fret it, I still get that noise. Maybe its just the guitar

Old 2006-12-27, 03:13
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beowulf44
Well, I see what youre saying, but my problem is of a different nature. That unclean sound I was refering to is a bit of a metallic sound, like, you can hear the note, but its dirty and has some metallic vibration sound. I thought the problem was the way I was fretting it, but funny enough, no matter HOW I fret it, I still get that noise. Maybe its just the guitar

Your action is too low, and the strings are vibrating against the fretboard. Raise your action. Look on google, there's probably at least 8000 articles on how to do this.

Last edited by 4d5e6f : 2006-12-27 at 03:15.

Old 2006-12-29, 20:56
Vince
New Blood

Or maybe your neck is to flat, if thats the case, look for a pro to fix you that.
Never...never tuch a truss rod if you dont know how it works.

Check this:

http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/trussrods.htm

By the way,nobody can answer me question about the tremolo i previously post?

Last edited by Vince : 2006-12-29 at 20:58.

Old 2007-01-01, 01:56
deathxleprosyx
Senior Metalhead
Banned

questions

1. i am trying to write death metal riffs is their anything i should know to make them sound like a death metal riff

2. i don't know how to write a harmony lead at all

some answers with these questions would be awesome

Old 2007-01-02, 01:44
JOAMdude
Post-whore

1. there are certain scales you need to know
The Octotonic will pretty much cover it. but onto writing. what i do is write individual riffs enless there is a certain thematic song. but so with DM riffs, you probably already knew! there is alternate picking! most bands have just picked riffs. but don't do that it is kindof boring. throw in slides, 3 string pwer chords to brighten it up, tonal contrast (don't play just on first 2 strings), power chords are fine most of the time, Oh and find like 8 notes on the fretboard that sound good in succession, palm mute it, throw in a harmony or some slides and that is a semi-good chugger,

most of this is shitty advice, the best advice i can give you, is: listen to music and write songs in the style of your favorite bands but also keep an open mind

2. lead harmonies there are two types of harmonies

diatonic and parrallel

Parrallel: same pattern but different roots

diatonic: same degrees pattern but not neccessarily shape
EX:

Guitar 1
-0-1-4-5

Guitar 2
-4-5-7-8

get it?
you should proabably start with the parrallel's as they are easier.

for thrash and power metal have a harmony with the root and it's perfect 5th (7th fret) or perfect 4th (5th fret)

for death... TRITONES!

good luck

Last edited by JOAMdude : 2007-01-02 at 01:48.

Old 2007-01-02, 21:22
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Cleaner?

What's a good solution to use to clean my guitar's body (get the smudges from finger prints mostly)? It's a nice looking black satin finish and I don't want to damage it.

Old 2007-01-04, 19:11
Darkness-Of-Christ
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
What's a good solution to use to clean my guitar's body (get the smudges from finger prints mostly)? It's a nice looking black satin finish and I don't want to damage it.

Well I've read that you should use a lint free duster (whatever that is, I'm not entirey sure). I just use a normal duster and it cleans my guitars perfectly and does not damage the finish at all. Just don't go soaking the cloth in water!

Old 2007-01-04, 21:52
JOAMdude
Post-whore

what does it mean to tremolo pick?

Old 2007-01-05, 14:20
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOAMdude
what does it mean to tremolo pick?

tremolo picking is basically playing the string in an up and down motion with the pick. Tremolo picking can very in speed, but is often played quickly.

If your beat is 1...2...3...4... a typical tremolo picking style would be (1)UDUD(2)UDUD(3)UDUD(4)UDUD

Old 2007-01-05, 18:07
Heavy Jerk
Metalhead

Yeah, but u have not so much of control as u have when u alternate pick so to speak, I mean u know u play it right( when u pick for ex. 32s in groups of eight). Good example of it is lotsa Metal shredding solos and Death Metal stuff( which is mostly palm muted while tremolo picked), u have it in a Black metal too, but generally, they play it with no p.m-ing and very sloppy, I would say. In general.

Old 2007-01-05, 23:50
JOAMdude
Post-whore

isn't tat just alt. picking

Old 2007-01-06, 01:19
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I guess you could consider trem picking a form of alternate picking since you pick up then down. But trem picking is much faster than alternate picking. If you want to hear trem picking listen to the beginning of Cannibal Corpse's "I Cum Blood"

Old 2007-01-06, 17:44
Vince
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f

Try the Dunlop formula 65 polish & cleaner.There are more products in the 65 line, you will find wat you need there, since string cleanig, fingerboard cleaning, body cleaning etc.....

Last edited by Vince : 2007-01-06 at 17:47.

Old 2007-01-06, 22:30
ThornsOfHeaven200
Supreme Metalhead

I own the 3 pack of Dunlop cleaning products: polish/cleaner, ultimate lemon oil and string cleaner. They all work very well and get any smudges off of the body, clean and moisturize the fretboard and keep the strings silky smooth. I recommend using those products for your guitar.

Old 2007-01-07, 04:16
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Also, with tremolo picking, you pick using your whole arm, not just your wrist. Check it out at http://www.cyberfret.com/techniques...cking/index.php