MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Chit Chat

Old 2006-08-30, 21:43
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

I'm sure Mansley would do it, in exchange for nekkid piks.

Old 2006-08-30, 21:52
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

must be nice to get all those scholarships

Old 2006-08-31, 00:00
mrs. malicious
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by MorbidGuitar
must be nice to get all those scholarships

ahh, the benefits of being a ridiculously intelligent female with voluptuous tits.... no, the latter isn't how i keep my 4.0.

im in ur srvr
eatin ur dataz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalXampire
doom metal tries to invoke the feeling of being a really fat guy stuck in the trash compactor from Star Wars IV

Old 2006-08-31, 01:01
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

SHOW US YOUR TITS

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2006-08-31, 01:21
low-tech
Post-whore

you guys are the wave of the future. your tax money will fund my foodstamps and SSDI for a totally phony mental disability i may possibly claim out of sheer boredom. upon your progress as human beings, your earning power with such formitable education and specialization in the job market, i will be entitled to a free ride thru life.

job well done guys. a small portion of everything youve worked for i totally recieved as a handout, im proud of each and everyone of you.

and for all you's overseas, keep buying those cheeseburgers,keep buying our horrible movies, keep buying into our pop consumer culture and hideous fashion,speak our language,live beyond your means, buy that SUV tommorrow cause somewhere down the line i personally profit from this while doing absolutely nothing.

you guys are A #1, out there for the little guy,the sorta,i guess,disadvantaged, the tired,well fed unemployed, the cream of the crap, yours truely.

freedom to be subsidized by the american government marches on.

Old 2006-08-31, 01:49
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Was anyone intimidated by their course syllabi?
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed Suiçmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.

Old 2006-08-31, 01:53
CompelledToLacerate
FFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU

I'm intimidated by all classes that involve the word "critical" with words like "Reading," "writing", and I'm scared of words like "Socratic Seminars" and "Essays." All those words were on at least 2 of my syllabi.

"Get me my brown pants."

Keep checking for new crap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amadeus
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2006-08-31, 01:59
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CompelledToLacerate
I'm intimidated by all classes that involve the word "critical" with words like "Reading," "writing", and I'm scared of words like "Socratic Seminars" and "Essays." All those words were on at least 2 of my syllabi.

"Get me my brown pants."

College, form what I can tell, is gonna reallllly test yoru writing ability. Over and over, that skill will be tested. Luckily, that is my strength. I got to skip the first 2 semesters of English. Now my sophmore english textbook is over 3,000 pages long.
Compare these people to the norm, say, Muhammed Suiçmez for instance who seems to think that lots of poorly strung together riffs spaced awkwardly around fancy monotonous sweeps covers up the fact that his ideas and songs are really quit boring.

Old 2006-08-31, 02:40
CompelledToLacerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood Red Bass
College, form what I can tell, is gonna reallllly test yoru writing ability.

Well, then I'm fucked.

It wouldn't be too bad, though, if you could like get a refund on your tuition if you fail. I know that's not gonna happen, but it'd be like buying a dozen eggs that are all broken; you'd like a refund or at least another dozen eggs.

Quote:
It's really sad, all those people who don't understand why we shouldn't act like our enemies. The real victory is not only killing and imprisoning the terrorists, but also letting civilized manners override the lust for revenge, once the battle is over.

Old 2006-08-31, 08:11
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia
Who is the resident math genius with ultimate patience and a dersire to online tutor?

THAT's what I need to know.

What's troubling you, Vic?

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2006-08-31, 08:14
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Was anyone intimidated by their course syllabi?

On the contrary, there were two emotions: "God, that looks so fucking boring!" and "I can't wait 'til my third year for that!". Never intimidated, although with hindsight I probably should've been with regards to a few of the subjects I took! Just see it as a challenge.

Old 2006-08-31, 08:51
metal_monkey
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia
Who is the resident math genius with ultimate patience and a dersire to online tutor?

I know how to do Parabolas

Youve made me cry

Quote:
Originally Posted by problematic
Metal Monkey: retarded comments galore.

RIP this guy

Old 2006-08-31, 10:16
CompelledToLacerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia

I'm about mediocre with math. I have no problem with understanding it. It's just remembering it. I don't remember what the quadratic formula is. If I saw it, I would recognize it and I would know what to do with it.

This is why I am taking an elementary algebra class, although I could have taken a higher level class, but I don't remember shit. Just all the basics and that's it.

Quote:

Old 2006-08-31, 11:43
low-tech
Post-whore

concerning math.

when i was in high school i was in the low level idiot math classes, math was always my bane. a teacher i had for my jr and sr year literally didnt teach anything and kinda acted like daycare/mr buddy teacher who tells stories all the time. we all got these obligatory B to C grade for literally never opening the book, never really getting into any detail about pre-algebra,no homework. pre-algebra was the main focus of study.mind you, this shit is taught to 8th or 9th graders in other states.

the class was filled with all the clowns,future inmates in the local jail,dudes who will work in the trades like carpentry or plumming,deadbeats like senor low-tech, all the folks who dont need SAT scores and anything more than a diploma. trade schools are obviously different from college, i dont mean that as an insult or anything, it just aint in the same league.

but to this day i dont know jack shit about math, i have literally like a 7th or 8th understanding. im like illiterate towards the shit. its totally fucking embarrassing. when the shit looks like

7a + 2b = 32c

i dont know what the fuck is going on,man. that is kinda scary

Old 2006-08-31, 11:45
metal_monkey
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tech
7a + 2b = 32c

i dont know what the fuck is going on,man. that is kinda scary

7a +2b = 32c isnt possible

Youve made me cry

Quote:

RIP this guy

Old 2006-08-31, 12:14
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal_monkey
7a +2b = 32c isnt possible

Of course it is!

Re-arrange it and change a, b and c for x, y and z and we have a more familiar looking proposition:

7x + 2y - 32z = 0

Last edited by johnmansley : 2006-08-31 at 12:30.

Old 2006-08-31, 12:22
Bia
Muffin Ass

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
What's troubling you, Vic?

Well....I took some tests of course before everything. My advisor told me I didnt have to start at the bottom of the math courses but close to the bottom....which I could have told her.

I registered late and the math classes were all full.....so I of course signed up for what she recomended and will start math classes next semester.

Conceptual Physics......
I was really pumped about that class....as science was the highest area I scored in and I have always loved things of that nature. I can easily explain the basics of thermodynamics and many things concerning physics.

The problem....for two weeks now Physics class is nothing but algebra.....we're doing all kinds of crazyass equasions with no real logic to them from my point of view.....and I know it's needed and most of the class seems to grasp it well....

I am almost late for work right now and really gotta go (7:20am here) but later tonight when work and school is done I'll return here and give some examples of what is stumping me.

I was told by another friend....I have to learn the basics of Plug and Chug.....whatever that means.

Later and thanks,

Bia

Old 2006-08-31, 12:31
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia
Well....I took some tests of course before everything. My advisor told me I didnt have to start at the bottom of the math courses but close to the bottom....which I could have told her.

I registered late and the math classes were all full.....so I of course signed up for what she recomended and will start math classes next semester.

Conceptual Physics......
I was really pumped about that class....as science was the highest area I scored in and I have always loved things of that nature. I can easily explain the basics of thermodynamics and many things concerning physics.

The problem....for two weeks now Physics class is nothing but algebra.....we're doing all kinds of crazyass equasions with no real logic to them from my point of view.....and I know it's needed and most of the class seems to grasp it well....

I am almost late for work right now and really gotta go (7:20am here) but later tonight when work and school is done I'll return here and give some examples of what is stumping me.

I was told by another friend....I have to learn the basics of Plug and Chug.....whatever that means.

Later and thanks,

Bia

I'm very strong with algebra so hopefully I'll be able to help.

Old 2006-08-31, 14:04
low-tech
Post-whore

Quote:
Of course it is!

Re-arrange it and change a, b and c for x, y and z and we have a more familiar looking proposition:

7x + 2y - 32z = 0

see, i cant even write the stuff correctly.

low-tech=community college at 30

liberal arts degree here i come1111

Old 2006-08-31, 15:17
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

Physics classes based on concept need basic algebra, and upper level physics are even harder. I took Muscial Acoustics my freshman year and it was a lot of math--even though it's a concept class.

I had to use fucking algebra and matrises when I was in Music theory 4, when I started the clock maths. Thank god I am done with all level theory classes and form analysis. Now I'm doing music history from 1750. That and orchestra are the only 2 music related courses I have left before I graduate!
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2006-08-31, 15:32
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tech
see, i cant even write the stuff correctly.

Well, the truth is that you can call the variables whatever you want - I just thought that people would more readily identify with your expression in terms of x, y and z.

Old 2006-08-31, 16:30
CompelledToLacerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia

Conceptual Physics......

Later and thanks,

Bia

Plug and Chug is math lingo for putting a number in place of a variable and finding a solution basically. For example;

7x^2+15x-4 and x=3

"plug" in 3 in place of "x".

As far as physics go, it in my opinion involves alot of math skills, and even with such skills I still failed it. All science requires math. Science is basically all about applying math to real life.

Quote:

Old 2006-08-31, 16:36
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

I'm pretty rusty at math, but when I revise topics it comes relatively easily to me. I hate doing maths just for the sake of it though, physics is much more fun.

In other news, I've dropped my music A-level, and I'm doing my A-Levels in one year due to how I fucked up. To be honest, I just found the theory and history stuff pretty boring. So fuck doing music at university.

Old 2006-08-31, 17:24
CompelledToLacerate

I'd love to take a music theory class. In fact, for my career choice, I probably have to.

Quote:

Old 2006-08-31, 18:01
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

im in college right now. digital imaging tech. class. long, but interesting. boring right now, it just started, its all introduction shit.

Old 2006-08-31, 18:06
moe_blunts
wigger/redneck/drunkard

i'm a badass in math and philosophy (paticularly logic).

i am trying to be a badass in buisness too.

hopefully, i dont become a lawyer.

http://www.last.fm/user/moe_blunts/

Old 2006-08-31, 19:25
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizzard_beast
I'm pretty rusty at math, but when I revise topics it comes relatively easily to me. I hate doing maths just for the sake of it though, physics is much more fun.

In other news, I've dropped my music A-level, and I'm doing my A-Levels in one year due to how I fucked up. To be honest, I just found the theory and history stuff pretty boring. So fuck doing music at university.

Yeah, I think lots of people make this mistake. If you play classical music and plan on being in an orchestra/symphony then going to college for musical training and theory is a must. But if you love popular music (once again, simply music that is not classical) you will sorta be at a loss. Music classes in college are designed for classical music, applying those ideas to metal or rock, while sometimes being cool, is really difficult and usually takes away from the METAL parts.

Old 2006-08-31, 20:37
sqol
Post-whore

Quote:

Thats my argument for not getting a job in the music industry(recording studio etc.); if i don't enjoy doing it, then theres a high chance it'll put me off the actual music too, which would be rubbish!

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2006-09-01, 00:07
Bia
Muffin Ass

Quote:
I'm very strong with algebra so hopefully I'll be able to help.

Quote:
Plug and Chug is math lingo for putting a number in place of a variable and finding a solution basically.

Thanks John.... CtL

I'll be honest.
In HS I did extremely well in Biology I & II, Psychology I & II, Chemistry, History/Social Studies, Gov Economics but in English and Math I took the most basic courses and still only did mediocre. ie No algebra.
I know the obvious stuff like 9(x) + 14(y) = 97 find x,y
And x is 3 and y 5....?? Yeah..see I made that up and feel like a bigshot...lol

Seriously here are a few examples of what I was expected to know in class this week.....and am clueless....so baby steps are acceptable and recomended

Solve each for quanity given (how do I know what is the quanity?)

F = 9/5C + 32 for C

Ft = m(V2 - V1) for V1

V = lwh for w

a = v/t for v

Rt = R1 + R2 +R3 +R4 for R3

So yep....I am tarded with this stuff.

Last edited by Bia : 2006-09-01 at 00:09.

Old 2006-09-01, 05:40
metal_monkey
Post-whore

none of that made sense to me but then again im only in year 9

V = lwh for w

possibly V/lh = w?

Youve made me cry

Quote:

RIP this guy

Old 2006-09-01, 10:39
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia
Thanks John.... CtL

I'll be honest.
In HS I did extremely well in Biology I & II, Psychology I & II, Chemistry, History/Social Studies, Gov Economics but in English and Math I took the most basic courses and still only did mediocre. ie No algebra.
I know the obvious stuff like 9(x) + 14(y) = 97 find x,y
And x is 3 and y 5....?? Yeah..see I made that up and feel like a bigshot...lol

Seriously here are a few examples of what I was expected to know in class this week.....and am clueless....so baby steps are acceptable and recomended

Solve each for quanity given (how do I know what is the quanity?)

F = 9/5C + 32 for C

Ft = m(V2 - V1) for V1

V = lwh for w

a = v/t for v

Rt = R1 + R2 +R3 +R4 for R3

So yep....I am tarded with this stuff.

What they're asking you to do is re-arrange the equation for the quantity they ask for. So in the first one, they're asking you to re-arrange the equation so that you have an expression for Celsius rather than an expression for Fahrenheit. Step by step:

F = (9/5)C + 32 (original equation for F in terms of C)

F - 32 = (9/5)C (subtracting 32 from both sides)

5F - 160 = 9C (multiplying both sides by 5)

Therefore, after dividing both sides of the equation by 9 we get:

C = (5F -160)/9

For the second equation we need to re-arrange for V1, so:

Ft = m(V2 - V1) (original equation for Ft in terms of m, V2 and V1)

Ft = mV2 - mV1 (expanding the brackets)

Ft - mV2 = mV1 (subtracting mV2 from both sides)

Therefore, after dividing both sides by m, we get:

V1 = (Ft - mV2)/m

Which, through expanding the brackets, can be simplified to:

V1 = (Ft/m) - V2

The vital key to being good at algebra is to remember that whatever you do to one side of the equation must also be done to the other. So in the third equation, you know that you must cancel l and h from the right hand side (RHS) of the equation in order to isolate w. The way to do this is to divide the RHS by lh. Now, you've divided the RHS by lh so you must also divide the LHS by the same quantity, giving w = V/lh.

There are other general rules like expanding brackets first, then sorting out addition and subtraction and then multiplication and division. However, I never paid much attention to these rules as they can very rarely be applied strictly. One just gets a feel for which operation has to be done first.

For example, in:

y = (x + 2)^2 + 1

One would NOT expand the brackets first, according to the general rule, in solving for x. If we did we would not obtain an expression for x very easily:

y = (x + 2)(x + 2) + 1 (re-writing the squared bracket)

y = x^2 + 4x + 5 (expanding the brackets and collecting constant terms together)

[Aside: when expanding brackets such as that above, we have a simple formula to remember how to do it:

(x + a)(x + b) = x^2 + (a + b)x + ab]

[Aside 2: incidentally, the above equation can now be solved explicitly for x. Set y = 0, then:

x^2 + 4x + 5 = 0

Using the quadratic formula, x(1,2) = (-b +/- sqrt(b^2 - 4ac))/2a, where a, b and c are the coefficients (the numbers in front of variables and also constants) of the quadratic being solved, we get:

a = 1
b = 4
c = 5

Therefore:

x(1,2) = (-4 +/- sqrt(4^2 - 4x1x5))/(2x1)

x(1,2) = -2 +/- ([sqrt(-4)]/2)

Which gives two imaginery solutions:

x(1) = -2 + 2i
x(2) = -2 - 2i

Where i = sqrt(-1)]

Back to the equation, clearly we have already encountered an impasse as it will be impossible to obtain one single x term due to the presence of both x to the power 1 and x to the power 2.

The real solution is as follows:

y = (x + 2)^2 + 1 (original equation)

y - 1 = (x + 2)^2 (subtracting 1 from both sides)

sqrt(y - 1) = x + 2 (taking the square root of both sides)

Therefore, upon subtraction of 2 from both sides we have a solution for x in terms of y:

x = sqrt(y - 1) - 2

So, the general rules are useful in very simple equations but not in more complicated examples (even though this was still a very simple equation to re-arrange). With practise, the order in which to tackle a re-arrangement becomes obvious from just looking at the original equation.

I hope that helps!

Last edited by johnmansley : 2006-09-01 at 10:53.

Old 2006-09-01, 14:25
moe_blunts
wigger/redneck/drunkard

john is the man...............sley (that was really gay, but i had nothing else).

how are you at differential equations?

http://www.last.fm/user/moe_blunts/

Old 2006-09-01, 14:59
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Keep in mind John is somewhat of a British accountant. He knows pretty much all math.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page

Old 2006-09-01, 15:34
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

I don't know how many people are doing this in other colleges, but I have found that taking notes on a laptop is much faster and more efficient than writing them. Think about it, you walk in, open up word, give it a title (HISTORY CLASS 8/30/2006) then type away. You can listen better because it allows you to look at the professor while you are still typing with yoru hands. Plus, it eliminates teh problems of having notes that are difficult to read. Are you guys doing this already and I'm just behind the times, or have I just started a new trend?

EDIT- In geography class, the person sitting next to me was writing on paper and I finished 5 seconds before she did whenever we had to note something important that the professor said.

Last edited by Blood Red Bass : 2006-09-01 at 18:22.

Old 2006-09-01, 17:54
Shreddist
Supreme Metalhead

This semester im taking core classes at a community college, then transferring to Capital University to Major In Music Theory and Minor in Performance Guitar. Most likely associates degree, possibly bachelors if i like.

Old 2006-09-01, 18:17
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Quote:
I don't know how many people are doing this in other colleges, but I have found that taking notes on a laptop is much faster and more efficient than writing them. Think about it, you walk in, open up word, give it a title (MATH CLASS 8/30/2006) then type away. You can listen better because it allows you to look at the professor while you are still typing with yoru hands. Plus, it eliminates teh problems of having notes that are difficult to read. Are you guys doing this already and I'm just behind the times, or have I just started a new trend?

EDIT- In geography class, the person sitting next to me was writing on paper and I finished 5 seconds before she did whenever we had to note something important that the professor said.

Laptops are fantastic for classes which don't involve maths, but it'd be impossible for me to take notes on physics and computing using a laptop. All those weird symbols...

Old 2006-09-01, 18:20
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:
Laptops are fantastic for classes which don't involve maths, but it'd be impossible for me to take notes on physics and computing using a laptop. All those weird symbols...

Oh yeah, I forgot about math classes, I'm not taking one right now though.....lemme go back and edit in a another example. Ha, that would suck to try to take (aliteration bitch!!) notes with a laptop that way.

Old 2006-09-01, 18:20
xgrafcorex
Post-whore

ahhh its so nice to be all finished with college. too bad working all the time isn't much fun... actually i should enroll in a couple more classes just to learn some more programs, but i don't know if i could actually go through re-enrolling. maybe when i'm an dirty old man and want to check out some college girls.

Old 2006-09-02, 01:08
Bia
Muffin Ass

Quote:
With practise, the order in which to tackle a re-arrangement becomes obvious from just looking at the original equation.

I hope that helps!

Thank you....some of it makes sense but a lot of it still is confusing.
But the way you put it out helped greatly.
I copied the text and saved. I'll study over and over.....hopefully something will click.

Old 2006-09-02, 01:14
CompelledToLacerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bia
Thank you....some of it makes sense but a lot of it still is confusing.
But the way you put it out helped greatly.
I copied the text and saved. I'll study over and over.....hopefully something will click.

That's what happened with mein beginning algebra in freshman year. Something just clicked and I was like "Why the hell haven't I been able to do this before?" I'm waiting for such a feeling to happen in my english classes. Just need the right teacher to say the right thing.

Quote:

Old 2006-09-02, 04:51
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:
That's what happened with mein beginning algebra in freshman year. Something just clicked and I was like "Why the hell haven't I been able to do this before?" I'm waiting for such a feeling to happen in my english classes. Just need the right teacher to say the right thing.

I might be able to help you with that. I got a 4/5 on the AP English test so I'm not dicking around.

Old 2006-09-02, 05:41
mrs. malicious
Senior Metalhead

Quote:

my mom's an english professor with a doctorate; therefore, i'm smarter than blood red bass.

im in ur srvr
eatin ur dataz

Quote:
Originally Posted by CannibalXampire
doom metal tries to invoke the feeling of being a really fat guy stuck in the trash compactor from Star Wars IV

Old 2006-09-02, 09:41
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
how are you at differential equations?

Pretty much my entire university course after the first semester was comprised of differential equations in some form or another.

Bia: Glad to have been of assistance. Mathematics is similar to guitar in that it takes lots of practise before you get good at it - if you put the hours in you'll be fine!

Old 2006-09-12, 13:10
Bia
Muffin Ass

John...

I passed my first Physics test!!!
44 problems and I only missed 6

Thank you very much for your help.....like I mentioned, the prof didnt review that math with us as he said we were already supposed to know that kind of stuff.
We have another test next week using vectors and such....and that's no prob so my panic level is all but gone.

Again...thank you sir!

Old 2006-09-12, 13:14
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Congratulations, Vic! I'm glad that I was able to help you.

Old 2006-09-12, 18:02
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

i just got a paper back that i did precisely half the work for, and i got a 100%. awesome!

Old 2006-09-12, 18:25
m3talhead666
Senior Metalhead

Im finishing my A levels in the summer. i do physics chemistry and maths. i already finished my Greek A level. But before i go to uni i have to go to the army for 2 years (compulsory)

Old 2006-09-12, 19:54
Transient
HES BAAACK

comm college is going ... ok..

Old 2006-09-12, 20:01
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

just started university, im studying musicology in Utrecht. pretty awesome study, it's basicly musical history (western, from the ancient times till now) and theory (scales, eartraining, etc).

Old 2006-09-13, 01:23
FearFrost
The Mountie From Hell

I tried to get into a bunch of trades but i was wait listed for them all, also i had my sound recording technology program as my #1 choice, but i STILL didn't get in at the collage (3rd year trying for it )... so i drove down to 2 of the 3 uni's here and tried for music at dal (didn;t get it) and arts at SMU and got that...

Im taking 4 courses now (english, psychology, sociology, and philosophy), and i hope by next fall ill be into music at dal, or my sound recording program... And if worse comes to worse... I'll be in a trade and the money flow will start soon after

Old 2006-09-13, 01:40
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Good job Steve!

Quote:
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2006-09-13, 02:38
CompelledToLacerate

I forgot how much I hate school. I hate it just as much in college. Maybe less because the teachers don't bug you.

Quote:

Old 2006-09-13, 02:44
Transient
HES BAAACK

my teachers are all so much different from high school. for example, you can get up to take a piss whenever you want.

Old 2006-09-13, 02:47
CompelledToLacerate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
my teachers are all so much different from high school. for example, you can get up to take a piss whenever you want.

IN the classroom?

Quote:

Old 2006-09-26, 18:25
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

IT BEGINS!!! Just signed up to this UCAS online thing....getting pretty nervous.

Old 2006-09-26, 18:37
autumncurve
Post-whore

got any idea where your gonna go?

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs. malicious
someone's a little behind

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
I'll take you from behind!

-grindcore (featuring newHELLonEARTH)- Krossa
-"Neo-Classical Heathen Folk"- Ellylldan
-experimental/middle eastern themed/folk/ambient- Soft Temple
-experimental/post rock/downtempo- Silence Over Okhotsk

Old 2006-09-26, 18:44
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Yep...here's what I'm applying for:

Oxford - Classical Archaeology + Ancient History
St. Andrews - Medieval History
Edinburgh - Ancient + Medieval History
Exeter - Ancient History
Warwick - Classical Archaeology + Ancient History
Nottingham - Ancient History + Archaeology

Aren't you in your final year of A-Levels autumn? What courses are you applying for?

Old 2006-09-26, 20:25
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:

Exeter - Ancient History

that sounds very interesting. good luck. id love to get into history more, but my classes have nothing to do with that, right now.

Old 2006-09-26, 20:27
BlackRoseImmortal
Senior Metalhead

I'll be applying to Manchester, Liverpool, UCL, Sheffield, Newcastle and Oxford Brookes, all to study architecture.

Old 2006-09-26, 20:51
autumncurve
Post-whore

Quote:
Aren't you in your final year of A-Levels autumn? What courses are you applying for?

i finished them last july, i fucked them up pretty badly, B for Film studies (shouldve been an A! ), C for history and E for Philosophy...which was an improvment on my AS' when i got a U for philosophy, i had to beg my way backon to the course people are supposed to go down a grade at A level haha.

doing nothing now, on a gap year, working in graphic design with my mum. sucks so much though as my girlfriend off at uni, gonna try moving into london soon...expensiiiiiiive...

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Old 2006-09-26, 21:01
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by timedragon
that sounds very interesting. good luck. id love to get into history more, but my classes have nothing to do with that, right now.

Cheers dude, history is the only thing I can imagine myself doing at uni.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackRoseImmortal
I'll be applying to Manchester, Liverpool, UCL, Sheffield, Newcastle and Oxford Brookes, all to study architecture.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by autumncurve
i finished them last july, i fucked them up pretty badly, B for Film studies (shouldve been an A! ), C for history and E for Philosophy...which was an improvment on my AS' when i got a U for philosophy, i had to beg my way backon to the course people are supposed to go down a grade at A level haha.

doing nothing now, on a gap year, working in graphic design with my mum. sucks so much though as my girlfriend off at uni, gonna try moving into london soon...expensiiiiiiive...

Ouch. I completely fucked up my AS levels, got two Cs, a D, and a U. So I changed some subjects and I'm doing the whole thing in one year, with actual determination this time round.

Fuck London, I'm getting pretty tired of it...though that's more to do with getting away from my family unit than the city itself.

Old 2006-09-26, 21:13
autumncurve
Post-whore

well as i live in surrey i want to get away from here , i want to be closer to my girlfriend, and do something new this year. all my mates have gone to uni so there's nothing left here for me.

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:

Old 2006-09-26, 21:25
ImBored
Supreme Metalhead

studying Illustration at Coventry Uni. Co-running the rock society this year, its pretty fuckin stressful atm.

Its a pretty bad ass course. Nice place too actually.

Old 2006-09-27, 01:03
persekutor
Metalhead

I intend to go to Berklee College of Music in Boston for the Music Production and Engineering program, and that's about it.
If that falls through I'm fucked.

Old 2006-09-27, 01:19
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:

Exeter - Ancient History

I think this is great but you better be prepared for a lonely career life of foreign whores ( at the worse gay lover ), funding at floor scrap levels from universities, and a life of doing what you love. I maybe wrong, and I hope I am, but don't ever exspect to make much if you plan to work in your major.

You might be on the wrong forum. I know how hard ancient history can be to research and this is not the place to spend that kind of time.

Best of luck to you

Old 2006-09-27, 04:59
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soulinsane
I think this is great but you better be prepared for a lonely career life of foreign whores ( at the worse gay lover ), funding at floor scrap levels from universities, and a life of doing what you love. I maybe wrong, and I hope I am, but don't ever exspect to make much if you plan to work in your major.

You might be on the wrong forum. I know how hard ancient history can be to research and this is not the place to spend that kind of time.

Best of luck to you
The most I think you could do with a histroy degree of any kind would be write a book. I hope so, cause I'm majoring in American History.

Old 2006-09-27, 05:07
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
The most I think you could do with a histroy degree of any kind would be write a book. I hope so, cause I'm majoring in American History.

Or be those random like phd guys on the history channel or TLC and give your like 2 second history lesson about something random.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.
About requiem. Aint it the truth...

Old 2006-09-27, 05:17
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
Or be those random like phd guys on the history channel or TLC and give your like 2 second history lesson about something random.
I wonder how much they get paid for a quick little comment or two on a documentary...

Old 2006-09-27, 05:41
CompelledToLacerate

College is getting easier as I get into the year. All it is is just do the stuff that gets you the points and that's it. YOu don't really have to absorb all the shit they teach you. you just gotta remember it for the whole semester. Why didn't I get this logic in high school?

Quote:

Old 2006-11-24, 13:28
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

W00t, I'm getting interviewed by Oxford soon. Not that big a deal though, since it only puts me in a better position than 20% of the other applicants.

Old 2006-11-24, 14:30
sqol
Post-whore

Quote:
W00t, I'm getting interviewed by Oxford soon. Not that big a deal though, since it only puts me in a better position than 20% of the other applicants.

Ooo, la-de-da Nah, good luck with it! Just don't do what my mate did and get kicked out of there for doing no work

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2006-11-24, 14:35
Blood Red Bass
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqol
Ooo, la-de-da Nah, good luck with it! Just don't do what my mate did and get kicked out of there for doing no work
I'm sure your mate's parents were ready to kill him on his way out the front gate.

Old 2006-11-24, 16:43
xX_JIMI_Xx
New Blood

is there anyone who has been to/at plymouth uni?

thats where i would like to go next year (im just about to apply. i know its a little bit late lol)

i want to do a degree in Civil and Coastal Engineering or if i get shit A Levels do the Higher National Diploma in Civil Engineering and then go on to do the degree.

Old 2006-11-24, 17:22
fatdanny
Post-whore

Quote:
W00t, I'm getting interviewed by Oxford soon

Cool, which college?

I'm starting a DPhil next year, we may end up at uni together.

Old 2006-11-24, 17:28
Cassius
Senior Metalhead

Going to Vincennes University majoring in Special Education

Old 2006-11-24, 17:39
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqol

Cheers! Hahaha, now that's what I call a missed opportunity!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Cool, which college?

I'm starting a DPhil next year, we may end up at uni together.

Lady Margaret Hall. I'm kicking myself for applying openly, since LMH only accepts 1-2 students a year for Classical Archaeology & Ancient History, and I could've chosen a college which accepts 3-4. Ah well, fingers crossed.

Old 2006-11-24, 19:38
fatdanny
Post-whore

Quote:
Lady Margaret Hall. I'm kicking myself for applying openly, since LMH only accepts 1-2 students a year for Classical Archaeology & Ancient History, and I could've chosen a college which accepts 3-4. Ah well, fingers crossed.

Oh don't worry about that, the interviewee to places ratio will be similar in most colleges except the popular posh ones where it will be really high, so your chances will be better than some. Also, getting picked up by a smaller college implies that either there weren't so many applicants, or they really liked your application, plus you could get passed to a different college if you interview well, but there aren't enough places at LMH. Good luck with it, oxford needs more metalheads.

Old 2006-12-15, 05:07
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

So how many of you are finally out for this semester? I just finished finals today. I had a philosophy final. How much easier can a final get? make logical arguments and explain theories? Shit son.

What about you guys? How did it go? Since i know like 99% of you are college students.
...Its very annoying to keep having to hear some socially-disabled teen come on these boards talking about all the drugs he's started doing so that he can maybe grasp onto some kind of positive response so he feels better about himself and what he's doing.

Old 2006-12-15, 05:30
the_bleeding
Post-whore

University of Western Mother Fucking Ontario... at least, thats what my tshirt says...
my philosophy exam (midterm) is on the 18th... and its guna be a bitch. 5 quotes from philosophers to evaluate, 5 long answers, and an essay all in 3 hours. Now it doesnt sound like much, but when its on 500 pages of textbook... it gets a little difficult, especially when the ta's believe that 65% is a decent mark... bitches... but yeah, thats my last exam before the christmas break

to whoever is done school already: i hate you <3

ps. google SAUGEEN STRIPPER to find a sample of res life here
I was very bemused as a youngster watching the Golden Girls when Blanche said she was going to "spank her fanny" I had visions of a geriatric vertical bacon sandwich red and bruised from being disciplined!!!

Last edited by the_bleeding : 2006-12-15 at 05:36.

Old 2006-12-15, 05:31
powersofterror
Forum Leader

What? There's no way 99% of the members here are college students. Most of these guys are like fucking 15

I had one final on monday, did terrible. The 2 other monday ones I was exempted from, and I have my last final in about 10 hours...10:30am. Haha, this week has beek pretty laid back.

Next semester will be a bitch though.....

ENGL 3912 TOPICS IN AM LIT
MUJS 4470 HISTORY OF JAZZ
MULB 1805 SYMPHONY ORCH
MUMH 3500 MUS HIST TO 1750 and it's lab class
MUMH 4050 SYMPHONIC LITERAT
PSCI 4700 COMP POL TOPICS

and to top that off, I'll also be squeezing in....from another university nearby....
MATH 1703 ELEM STATISTICS

...I've never taken this many upper level courses before. And I include the math as upper level, hahaha. Fuck being a Senior too, I plan on graduating next fall....4 1/2 years.

This is my band's page

Old 2006-12-15, 05:36
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

hahaa nice man.

I'm taking......

* Geosciences 1014 Earth and Life through time
* Geosciences 3104 Elementary Geophysics
* Philosophy 3314 Ethical Theory
* Chemistry 1036 General Chemistry
* Mathematics 1224 Vector Geometry

This next semester is going to be rough but very refreshing. 4 times a week i'm up and AT class at 8 in the morning.... go fucing me... not. Mondays i dont' go in till 130. In that case i rule. haha

Old 2006-12-15, 05:40
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Most of my classes somehow made it to mainly TR days. My MWF are just Orchestra and math.

That's only fucked up to me because of the fact that this past semester it was vise versa. Most of my classes MWF, one class on T, and no class on R...pretty laid back this fall.

This is my band's page

Old 2006-12-15, 05:42
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Wednesdays i'm at class from 8 till like 4 oclock. All fucking 5 classes are on that day haha. Its going to be rough but its ok. I need the challange and the increased school work. i need to get out of this rutt that i am in. hah

So are you a music major? i was gonna do it, but ist completely not for me.

Old 2006-12-15, 06:02
powersofterror
Forum Leader

Yup, my degree plan says: Bachelor of Arts with a major in Music. I play the bass in sym orch at UNT. Speaking of which.....this spring we're playing at the TMEA convention.
By the way, I'm in Texas so you don't know what that is....

This is my band's page

Old 2006-12-15, 06:06
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
Yup, my degree plan says: Bachelor of Arts with a major in Music. I play the bass in sym orch at UNT. Speaking of which.....this spring we're playing at the TMEA convention.
By the way, I'm in Texas so you don't know what that is....

haha yeah i know you're in texas. One of the ghettoist untamed states in the fucking union. I hate texas but love texas in the same sentence haha.

I wanted to play some music for my school, but i just don't think it'll happen. I think it woudl be fun and fairly easy. bass or guitar would definately be my calling. I think bass would be nice just to give me a balance to what i usually do. I don't play my somewhat expensive bass that much so it would definately help to get it some finger love.

Old 2006-12-16, 10:46
belphegor79
Supreme Metalhead

I'm a sophomore working on a BA in Political Science, and planning to attend law school afterward so I can work for young fuckups like I was. (and still am if I don't keep my drinking in check)

Old 2006-12-18, 23:18
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Well I'm officially fucking pissed beyond belief. Just found out apparently my GPA for my classes taken BEFORE going to Virginia Tech DONT" FUCKING COUNT. So now i have a 1.87 GPA. So in a word, i'm completely fucked. I don't know exacly what this fully means to me, but as of right now i stand to lose my PLC status and money for this. (PLC is my Marine Corps officer program)

So in a sense even t hough i worked hard and got a like 3.5 gpa last year it doesn't mean jack shit.

Fuck college.

Old 2006-12-18, 23:33
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

tmfreak, thats rough man!!! sometimes i dont see how they can justify pulling that shit on people

Old 2006-12-18, 23:38
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Woohoo, Oxford rejected me. Fuck 'em.

Your situation fucking sucks tm. What can I say? Raped in the ass again.

Old 2006-12-18, 23:59
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Good job guys! Keep up the great work!

Yeah, sorry to hear that tm...but that's the AMERICAN SYSTEM FOR YOU.

Quote:

RIP moe.

Old 2006-12-19, 00:13
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Good job guys! Keep up the great work!

Yeah, sorry to hear that tm...but that's the AMERICAN SYSTEM FOR YOU.

Nah its just me fucking sucking. Nothing new there though.

Old 2006-12-19, 01:02
sixsicsix
6 lvl 80's sucka.

anyone here ever been to berklee or currently enrolled there?
is it all it's cracked up to be?
does julliard really put razor blades in between the piano keys...thats fucking brutal...

http://hosting01.hotchyx.com/adult-...pad_and_pat.jpg

Old 2006-12-19, 02:10
JOAMdude
Post-whore

college admission boards< cardboard

Old 2006-12-19, 02:23
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

I just realized that if they decide (if it is a decision type of thing) to remove me from the program that i am not only will i NOT get money for next semester, i have to GIVE BACK the money i already got. UGH. Not only can I not afford college beyond next semester i can't afford to give them their like 3500 bucks back hah.

Old 2006-12-20, 04:48
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

It's finals week and I am bending over. I'm about the get the worst grades of my college career this semester.

Old 2006-12-20, 17:38
belphegor79
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rezendes
It's finals week and I am bending over. I'm about the get the worst grades of my college career this semester.

I know the feeling. I'm actually going to have to retake one of my classes, and it feels like such a goddamn waste.

Old 2006-12-20, 18:31
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Rezendes

At least somebody else is feelin a worst semester of college, not just me.

Old 2007-03-07, 13:12
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Update on replies received so far:

Oxford - Unsurprisingly, denied (I'm happy that I can at least say I tried and failed, rather than never having tried)

St Andrews - Denied

Edinburgh - Denied

Exeter - ABB for Ancient History

York - BBB for Historical Archaeology

Warwick - No reply yet

York is the most appealing, and if I could do things a second time around then I definitely would've applied to archaeology across the board, rather than a mish-mash of ancient and medieval history.

Old 2007-03-07, 16:19
tmfreak
Slayer of dumb cunts

Quote:
Update on replies received so far:

Oxford - Unsurprisingly, denied (I'm happy that I can at least say I tried and failed, rather than never having tried)

St Andrews - Denied

Edinburgh - Denied

Exeter - ABB for Ancient History

York - BBB for Historical Archaeology

Warwick - No reply yet

York is the most appealing, and if I could do things a second time around then I definitely would've applied to archaeology across the board, rather than a mish-mash of ancient and medieval history.

So i'm curious, in your opinion what is the gain and practical use in the study of medieval history in particular? I can somewhat agree in the studying of history in some sense but i can't fathom the reason in studying a time period already completely known about (i would imagine for hte most part).

Unless of course you're just interested in that kind of material which i can understand completely (never it being your intentions to learn and discover what hasn't been discovered).

So next question is, what do you plan on doing after you graduate?

Old 2007-03-07, 16:45
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfreak
So i'm curious, in your opinion what is the gain and practical use in the study of medieval history in particular? I can somewhat agree in the studying of history in some sense but i can't fathom the reason in studying a time period already completely known about (i would imagine for hte most part).

Unless of course you're just interested in that kind of material which i can understand completely (never it being your intentions to learn and discover what hasn't been discovered).

So next question is, what do you plan on doing after you graduate?

In general, history provides the skills (memorising, compiling information, analysis or whatever) that employers want...apparently.
I don't think the job sector over here is as degree specific as I hear the American one is, so if people say, want to become accountants, they're not limited to studying accountancy at university.

Medieval history is just a hell of a lot more interesting than modern history. For me, at least. And no, it's not necessarily a time period completely known about. What do you mean by "completely known about" anyway? We know more about the kind of stuff you study in modern history than we do about medieval/ancient history.

After university? I'll probably go for an MA, possibly a PhD if I'm not completely tired of studying. Possibly fuck around and travel for a bit. Whatever I do, I plan on joining the military at some point.