MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2005-08-16, 10:36
VizThisAl
Metalhead

Drummer injuries

Hey guys,

I'm not a drummer but my brother (drummer in our band) hurt his right knee five weeks ago. It swelled up like two balloons and looked really bad. The swelling has gone down since but on a recent trip to the hospital the doc said to him that he may have torn his cartlidge, he wont know until they stick a camera in his knee to have a look.

Has anyone had an injury similar to that? Could you play drums after it had healed?

As it's his right knee and being right-handed that's obviously his kick drum knee and he plays double-bass so it's not like he could learn to play with his left knee, that would completely fuck our sound up! I hope he can get back to playing drums like he used to.

Cheers for any advice.

Old 2005-08-16, 20:45
blackmetalassault
New Blood

damn that sounds pretty bad!

I think any injurie such as torn cartilage can be repaired with some rehabilitation. But im not a doctor so i cant be too sure.
A few years back I broke my wrist and my cartilage was all buggered up and I was like, shitting my pants over whether or not i'd still be able to drum. I still have problems with it but I have exercises from the doctor on how to properly stretch it and stuff like that.
Thats the best advice I can give you, partially because I dont know the full extent of his injuries, but hopefully your brother will be able to play like he used to.

Hails and hope everything goes ok

Old 2005-08-17, 04:30
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

well he should ask the doctor, Double bass is stress full on the knees (when you go at high speeds you WILL tense up) but it isn't like Weight lifting (large strains) or jogging (large movement) tell him to go to the Dr, show him his double bass technique and then ask the docs opinion.

Old 2005-08-19, 13:49
VizThisAl
Metalhead

cheers guys, he did say to the doc that he is a drummer and i don't recall him saying that the doc said he can't play again. I'm pretty sure that he'll get exercises once any surgery or whatever has been done. Of course he's worried you know but being my brother I know he won't just quit playing drums, no matter what the doc says, he's just that kind of person. Hopefully the injury isn't as bad as they think it is though and he'll be back blasting away for us soon enough.

Cheers for the posts though gents.

Old 2005-08-19, 23:53
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Holy crap, did the stress bunny warm up at all? He shouldn't have broken his cartliage unless he went into blasting straight away. CArtliage generally heals alright with some minor internal scaring, but FUCK! Tell the guy to warm up properly next.

Old 2005-08-22, 08:13
VizThisAl
Metalhead

he didn't hurt himslef while drumming man, it was a completely seperate incident, he slipped over on a tiled floor and whacked his knee.