MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2005-08-12, 23:37
Amon rA
Senior Metalhead

how do metal drummers do it?

i was just wondering, how do metal drummers control thier hi hats if thier constantly doing double bass drum beats?
"The complexity of the penguins' lifestyle testifies to a Divine Creator," said one commentator on Christian Answers. "To think that natural selection or even the penguins themselves could come up with the idea to migrate miles and miles multiple times each year without their partner or their offspring is a bit insulting to my intellect. How great is our God!"

Old 2005-08-12, 23:56
sqol
Post-whore

You can get a 'clutch' for the hi hat which you can use to keep the hats at a certain distance, i've never used one, but i think to disengage it, there is a little bar poking off the top that you hit with your stick and the hats are released

The Freedom of Chaos
The Secret of The Secret
The Truth of The Truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undone
moonraven?....more like ass raven

Old 2005-08-13, 01:17
7-string warlord
Post-whore

My drummer puts half his foot on the left bass kicker and the other half on the hi-hat. Don't kow if that helps cuz i am not a drummer

Old 2005-08-13, 01:37
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

erm the various ways to do it are:

Heeltoe combos:
Pat Torpey is really good at doing these double bass/hi hat heel toe combos

Hi hat drop clutch: you hit the release lever with your stick and it drops down shut, press down on the Hi hat pedal and it raises it, pretty simple:

Cobra Clutch, this is exclusivley a Tama invention and it clips onto the side of your Hi hat, and has 2 switchs which you hit with your heel, one closes the hi hat, the other opens it, this system is pretty cool it is pretty easy to use, and when going into a double bass run you just stamp down with your heel out and hit the close lever, and bang, no arsing around with your sticks.

Remote X hats, I use this in a way, I have an old buggered hi hat stand which I just use as an X hat, which means it is unable to have its setting altered, it just stays in the same position.

Heeltoe singles, Iron Maiden style, all those 'double bass' rolls you Hear Nicko McBrain doing are with ONE FOOT, and he can get some pretty fast stuff going, I think I even heard a 150 16th roll, so when you get your heel toe really good you can do that and use your left soley on the hi hat.

ther final one is the simplest:

keep your hi hats a tad loose so they sound good no matter what you are doing so you don't have to fuck around with them when you are trying to double bass, this is what MOST people do.

Old 2005-08-13, 17:26
genocide circus
Metalhead

My friend uses two hi-hats, one on the left of the snare and one on the right between all his toms and floor toms. He keeps the left one tightened up most of the way and the right one is wide open.

Old 2005-08-13, 23:03
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

I've always been much more inclined to use my left foot for hi-hat stuff, but as I get better with the double kick I'm finding that I leave my hats maybe an eighth of an inch open, so they aren't too loud to play them open if I'm doing some double stuff, but you can still get the effect of the open/closed variation when you need it.

I've also just bought an X-hat in a music shop sale, but as yet I've got nowhere to put it on the kit and no money to buy a second pair of hats. I'm pretty sure I'll use it A LOT once I get into it, though.

Old 2005-08-14, 17:43
rabbifoodslicer
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon rA
i was just wondering, how do metal drummers control thier hi hats if thier constantly doing double bass drum beats?

very carefully...

Old 2005-08-15, 05:26
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

it is actually a little known fact that metal drummers have a magic 3rd leg that can operate their hi hats......

that is why all the best metal drummers are guys, chicks seem to lack this magice third leg!

Old 2005-08-15, 15:37
YouDirtyGunt
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ black metal drumm
it is actually a little known fact that metal drummers have a magic 3rd leg that can operate their hi hats......

that is why all the best metal drummers are guys, chicks seem to lack this magice third leg!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amon rA

I use my heel for the hats and the balls of my feet for the kicks. I have my hat pedal set a little higher than my kicks, so its easier to hit with my heel.