MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2005-07-06, 23:48
HigherCoward
New Blood

Carvin X100B Head

Well im most likely going to get this head and i would like a few first hand experiences and a few questions answers.

I know this was the amp used by Steve Vai before the Legacy, and some even say he still uses them behind a wall of Legacys), so i know the lead sound will be pretty decent.

Also i hear the clean channel on this is great.

Here are a few questions

1. This amp isnt a very high gain amp, but with an overdrive pedal i can drive it to Metal terriotory. My question is, which pedal do you recommend for a Clean Smooth distortion. Something that gives a very heavy palm mute chunk but still maintan its clarity (For those of you who dont know what im talking listen to the song Withstand The Fall Of Time by Immortal)

2. Since im not actually buying the head, rather trading gear for it (My Epi and its case with a few other accessories) I want to know if its a worthy trade.

3. Cabs you recommend around the $300 dollar area

4. Give me some basic and not so basic tube amp maintinance tips.

So give me some first hand experiences with this amp

Thank You to all of those who help

Old 2005-07-07, 02:47
HalfmastTrousers
Supreme Metalhead

1. Try a Maxon OD808 (i think that's what they are?), Ibanez TS8 or TS9, the BOSS SD-1 or the Digitech Bad Monkey. All are reknowned good boost pedals.

2.What kind of epi? Even still i think it was a fair trade >_> These carvin heads are actually used by a few metal bands if i'm not mistaken (a few local bands for me anyhow...)

3. I suggest getting a 2x12. The only other cabs you could get are maybe a Marshall MG cab, which i have, which is kinda bad x_o. But you could get a much better 2x12 for that cash.

4. When you turn it on, leave it on standby for a few seconds so the tubes warm up. Always match the speaker impedance EXACTLY on tube amps (this is a pain, which is why i'm gonna use a solid state power amp with my ENGL preamp >_>). Dont leave the head out in especially hot/cold conditions. DONT GET IT WET.

Old 2005-07-07, 03:24
Myrmidonlord666
Senior Metalhead

Used old school BV cab as v30s in it beatch, i snatched one for 250, also you could maybe find a Marshall 1960 on ebay for cheap.
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
it was too hifi for me...
it's like a hot chick that is horrible in bed.

Old 2005-07-07, 16:28
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

vai really uses bogner xtc's with modded ds-1 pedals..

Old 2005-07-07, 16:55
DRI
Metalhead

For a distortion pedal, I use, and love, the digitech metal master, it gets a really great range of distortions. For a cheap cab, get a behringer 4X12. They're only about $225-275 and I've heard great reveiws of them.

Old 2005-07-07, 17:09
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRI
For a distortion pedal, I use, and love, the digitech metal master, it gets a really great range of distortions. For a cheap cab, get a behringer 4X12. They're only about $225-275 and I've heard great reveiws of them.

Old 2005-07-07, 20:09
lord_diemos
Senior Metalhead

Fuck behringer.

Look around for a marshall cab. You could probably get a good deal for one that has some fucked up tolex on it. Most people don't buy cabs with torn tolex so you might be able to snag one cheaper that most used deals.

Old 2005-07-08, 04:12
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by lord_diemos
Fuck behringer.

Look around for a marshall cab. You could probably get a good deal for one that has some fucked up tolex on it. Most people don't buy cabs with torn tolex so you might be able to snag one cheaper that most used deals.

+1
i see beat to shit 1960 marshall cabs all the time for like $250-350 range.

they look tough from the get go

Old 2005-07-08, 14:30
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRI

The Metal Disaster pedal would be a nice pedal if it only had a damn gain knob. I picked one up at a pawn shop for $30. It had lots of veriety with using the morph knob but then I realized it had no fucking gain control. It actually has way to much distortion and I mean way to much.

I think Carvin make some nice gear. They don't get as much respect as they deserve but then their advertizing isn't as extensive as other companies.

Ebay is the place to look and see what most used gear sells for.