MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2005-06-20, 14:49
XIII
New Blood

Boss GT-6 VS DigiTech GNX3

I've pretty much been offered these for half-price and i cant figure out which one to get. The boss sounds like more of a quality product but the digitech has the recording, tuner, drum machine etc.. Any advice on which one of these two ( not some multimmillion dollar effects just of these TWO!!!) would be appreciated.

Boss GT-6
http://www.bossus.com/index.asp?pg=1&tmp=85

VS

DigiTech GNX3
http://www.digitech.com/products/gnx3.htm

Old 2005-06-20, 17:00
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

i like the boss's much better.

Old 2005-06-20, 17:08
obrien20
Post-whore

I don't know, the Digitech is also preety great, but the Gt-6 is the shit, i think they released the Gt-8 know, don't have sure about it.

Old 2005-06-20, 17:17
lord_diemos
Senior Metalhead

The chip in the gt-6 sounds way more organic and less-processed to my ears than the digitech. Go for the Boss.

Old 2005-06-20, 17:55
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Boss is always a sure winner, although Digitech has in the far past made some very cool stuff.

Old 2005-06-20, 18:22
etherealprince
Senior Metalhead

GT-6

I sold mine to get my 5150 but now im getting another GT6.
Built in BOSS digital tuner, Built in NS2, and I can heaphone it to use as a practice amp for any amp model I want to play in.
Its well worth the $280 USD used. And Digitech has a more digital sound to it....no wonder .

Old 2005-06-20, 18:30
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

The gt-6 does have an built in tuner.. plus with the cab + pre-amp sim you can hook it up to a recording device via direct input.

It may not be the end-all to multi-fx, but the boss sure has a nice sound quality.
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2005-06-21, 00:57
Overmind
Senior Metalhead

I have a GNX3. Get the BOSS.

The recording on the GNX3 is done with SmartMedia, which is now obsolete (not in production). You'd have to use a special adapter to use xD cards instead. Even then, the GNX3 only supports up to 128mb. Which isn't enough.

128mb = 24 mono 'CD quality' (bullshit) track minutes. If you recorded in stereo (for fading, delay effects etc), that's 12 track minutes. For ONE track. So if you record a piece that uses only two stereo guitars (rythm + lead including solos), the song can only be 6 minutes long. Don't bother trying to record two songs on the card at the same time, unless they're both less than 3 minutes long.

The sound quality, even on 'CD quality' via the SmartMedia card, sounds like shit. I've switched to recording direct via the PC and that's much better. In summary, the recorder is pretty much useless.

The 'drum machine' on the GNX3 isn't an actual drum machine, either. It plays back MIDI drum tracks and that's it. You can't define anything but the tempo and volume. There are 31 patterns to select from, but you can't create your own patterns via the GNX3. You'd have to create a drum midi track on the PC in some other program and transfer it to the GNX3, in order to do create your own (or so i've heard, i've never tried it, don't know if it actually works). And if you decide to do that, and if you need to make any small change, you'd have to go back to the PC to do it. It's very misleading to call it a drum machine.

The 'learn a lick' feature loses whatever is in its memory after the power is turned off, too.

The amp/cab-morphing feature is alright, but I find it hard to come up with useful distortions. It's an interesting feature, but you'll get much better useable sounds from the BOSS.