MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2005-05-09, 21:17
goat_whore666
New Blood

Question 4 string vs. 5 string

ok, i'm a newbie... i played guitar for years when i was a teen (i'm 25 now) and it never "did" it for me, so i've decided to try and learn bass, since that's what i always wanted to play. i hope to play fast, heavy, death metal, but i'm wondering if i should get a 4 or 5 string bass. what are the advantages/disadvantages? i long for that gut wrenching low end punch we all love when a death metal band does a bad ass breakdown. opinions please....

Old 2005-05-09, 21:41
Tulvox
Post-whore

I play a 5 string, and if you've played a 4 string before, you have to readjust to the string spacing. I didnt buy a 5 to go lower, I bought it for more notes, but thats me. From personal experience, I would say it would be better to start on a 4. That way, you can get comfortable with a bass. From there it is up to you which you decide to play. There are guys like Tattered who are perfectly happy with a 4 string, and there are guys like Subsonic6string who experiment with more strings.

The only real advantage of a 5 string would be more notes.

Whatever you choose, good luck and have fun. And welcome to the world of bass playing.

www.maddox.xmission.com

Old 2005-05-09, 22:08
goat_whore666
New Blood

thanks dude. i'm definitely not the type of player to shread a million different notes all over the neck. maybe 4 string would be better. i was just curious because if i found a 5 string at a reasonable price if it'd be worth it to pick up. i know the obvious answer to that, but in terms of if it'd deter me from learning.

Old 2005-05-10, 11:34
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Hey, welcome to metaltabs!

I think it would be best for you to try out both basses and see which your most comfortable with.. but a 5 string has its advantages in the death metal section.. lower notes, you dont have to tune down as much.. but also.. its all really up to how you feel about the basses..

Good luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2005-05-10, 17:03
TheChocolateFactory
New Blood

It might be easier to learn on a 4 string, even though your guitar skills will help you out a lot. But you WILL want a 5 string after you are fluent with a 4.

Old 2005-05-10, 22:16
hearken
New Blood

confirmation

i agree with the guys that suggest a 4 string first, then move on if you so desire. also since you played guitar before do your best to learn with your fingers. that's just my opinion. i'm a finger bassist naturally i'm biased.

Old 2005-05-11, 20:11
goat_whore666
New Blood

thanks. so, the 5 string will offer lower note possibilities? can you achieve anything with a 5 string that you can't with a 4? and yes, i intend to learn with my fingers. i'm worried about being up to speed with just fingers for death metal.

Old 2005-05-11, 21:19
Tulvox
Post-whore

I still say go with a four...it's easier to learn on. Get a five only when your ready, and not before. You don't want to get frustrated right? (Easier learning curve on a 4) And like I said earlier, the only advantage 5 strings have is more notes.

And don't worry about finger speed, that comes with practice...(and blisters)

www.maddox.xmission.com

Old 2005-05-12, 18:27
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

Welcome!
I'm going to agree with the four string first. Like Tulvox said, it is easier to learn on it. The strings are closer together on a 5 string (and even closer on a 6 string) so if you're just learning you want more spacing between the strings since you'll have less control of your fingers when you're starting.
Have fun!
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2005-05-12, 23:31
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Yeah a 4 string would be easier, but try out both! see how you adjust, it could save you some money!

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2005-05-13, 11:31
Disincarnate
But why is the rum gone ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulvox
I still say go with a four...it's easier to learn on. Get a five only when your ready, and not before. You don't want to get frustrated right? (Easier learning curve on a 4) And like I said earlier, the only advantage 5 strings have is more notes.

And don't worry about finger speed, that comes with practice...(and blisters)

Well you've practicly said everything that i was going to say

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely

Quote:
Guitarists are just people who could Never make it as a Bassist

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2005-05-30, 17:55
Subsonic6string
Senior Metalhead

best of both worlds...

The other option is look into getting a Baritone 4-string bass (tuned B-E-A-D). That way, you get the easier playing ability of the 4-string, and the lower, gut-wrenching depth of the 5-string. They have a different nut and bridge configuration, set up for the B to D string, so it plays much better than just stringing a typical 4-string with B-E-A-D strings. LTD (ESP) make a really nice model, and it's fairly affordable.

Either way, you should really consider buying a 6-string bass...lol (j/k)

Cheers,

Old 2005-06-04, 01:35
Dystopia
Post-whore

I am going to be the first to say 5 string, and I'm a guitar player. But here's my reasons:

1) I started on a 7-string, and I play it with ease while EVERYONE else has trouble adjusting, and I can play 6-strings well too. No problem.

2) More excersice for your fingers/hands. It is good to have strong, flexible hands, both right AND left, mainly right.

I have no more reasons.

Old 2005-06-04, 04:14
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Don't get a 5 string. Reason: The same reason why you don't buy Fender

Get a baritone like Subsonic said

Old 2005-06-05, 11:20
Severed
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsonic6string
The other option is look into getting a Baritone 4-string bass (tuned B-E-A-D). That way, you get the easier playing ability of the 4-string, and the lower, gut-wrenching depth of the 5-string. They have a different nut and bridge configuration, set up for the B to D string, so it plays much better than just stringing a typical 4-string with B-E-A-D strings. LTD (ESP) make a really nice model, and it's fairly affordable.

Either way, you should really consider buying a 6-string bass...lol (j/k)

Cheers,

thats a very handy tip, thanks!

Old 2005-06-05, 16:55
Tulvox
Post-whore

I wasn't aware they made baritone basses... I guess some people will kill for bottom end.

www.maddox.xmission.com

Old 2005-06-06, 04:19
cw4119
Senior Metalhead

definitely 4 string first

but if you intend to learn death metal then i suggest after you are comfortable with the 4 string then get the 5 string, because a lot of death metal bands like to tune down (nile(A),morbid angel (Bb), the black dahlia murder (Drop-C from D), Fragments of Unbecoming (Same as black dahlia muder), etc.) Generally when you tune that low with a 4 string it starts to sound bad, and youd therefore have to customize the bass/strings (mostly strings) so that you can still get a good sound. With a 5, you not only get a better sound, but also a lot more bass sound from that big ass string.

I play a 5 string, but i started with a 4.

Although, since you played guitar previously, maybe you'd be better off with the 5 since the strings are closer together. But still chances are, 4 will be easier.

Other than that i dont think theres anything else i can say that hasnt already been said, and im sure ive already repeated a lotta stuff.