MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2005-04-19, 22:42
Exodus
New Blood

problem with rebound while blasting

hi metalheads,
i have a problem with the technique. blasting on snare and ride is no problem because the stick returns quickly.
but what about the hi-hat? (i use my fingers to blast)
i don't know how to keep my wrist loose while i'm blasting.
if i would manage, i could move my wrist a bit and give the stick the right movement. the next problem would be the physical border of the wrist.

How to manage? once i use my fingers to play, my hand become donnish and my endurance gets down and down.

thx for answeres! stay tuned!

Old 2005-04-20, 00:07
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

I use full wrist motion to blast, cause I get more power and accuracy than using my fingers, I find it is a better technique, and I have never had any problems swittching between hi hat and ride.

Old 2005-04-20, 19:00
Exodus
New Blood

but if there is no physical border, why all these deathmetal drummer uses their fucking fingers?
if i could, i would also use my wrist but its to slow.
and believe me, i trained my wrist til hell before i started to play with fingers.

Old 2005-04-20, 21:18
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

Many doing that...
Try a hyperblast on a china with your fingers .
okay I just use the rebound of the top cymbal from my hi hat...
maybe you try to mount down your hi hat stand a little...or you try your left hand on the hi hat...right on the snare (thats what I do, but I use both hands)

Old 2005-04-21, 00:30
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Quote:
and believe me, i trained my wrist til hell before i started to play with fingers.

Mike Mangini, owner of one of the fastest sets of hands in the known world, his technique PURE FUCKING WRISTS! the fastest Jotun (at the moment anyway) uses a wrist/finger combo, but I have seen Mike Mangini do 170 bpm 32nd rolls, with my own eyes, pure wrist motion. so obviously you haven't trained your wrists properly, or your wrists are fucked and you should think about giving up drumming

Old 2005-04-21, 01:03
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Fingers are for finese and not speed. Even with hi-hats, you get rebound, it's still drop and catch, but if you're having that much trouble, try playing up/down (it's a finger and wrist combo s it should work for you) . Don't give up drumming, correct yourself. My teacher played pretty badly for a few years, he started out digging the sticks into the skins and having to do two motions but then learnt better and no he's quite good. Do you have a teacher? Describe your wrist technique you use as best as you can.

Old 2005-04-21, 01:36
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

well, remember not to tense your wrists, tense your shoulder and arm, and keep your wrists suple.

Old 2005-04-21, 09:24
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Actually, don't tense anything, keeping everything as relaxed as possible works. Just bring your elbow in when you play on the hats, don't let it stick too far out, or else you'll get very tired.

Old 2005-04-21, 09:50
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

when you are going at higher speeds it is impossible NOT to tense anything, just make sure you aren't tensing your wrist, tense your shoulders, and upper arm, to keep your wrists suple.

Old 2005-04-25, 19:25
LicktheWound
New Blood

this helps

what helps me when blasting is grouping the beats together instead of concentrating on each individual hit. It might sound weird but if you think of the blast beat in terms of a regular 2/4 or 4/4 beat instead of a blast beat and concentrate mostly on the 1 (first beat) of each group it will help you get through them a lot easier. Hope that makes some sense. Also I learned a great exercise from the Derek Roddy dvd that I'm showing my student at the momet. Get a metronome with an earpiece... start with it on around 180-200 bpm (or less) and do four hits on each hand so there is 2 hits per one click of the metronome. Do this for 2 minutes with out stopping and then do 8 on each hand for 2 minutes... then 12 etc.. up to 16 then do single stroke roll for the last two minutes. Do this all without stopping and then do the same exact thing with your feet.

Old 2005-04-28, 02:32
Wakeness
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exodus
but if there is no physical border, why all these deathmetal drummer uses their fucking fingers?

Don't listen to everybody's shit on this board. They all think they know everything.
Some dudes use wrists for speed. Look at the video link below for a prime example of high speed wrist action. This guy's killer. (K.C. Howard)

http://www.elementdeath.com/prelude..._apocalypse.mpg

Other guys (Like the Drummer from Misery Index) use FINGERS when they blast. Everyone is built differently, so some people use different techniques. It's just boils down to practice.

Old 2005-04-28, 04:24
low-tech
Post-whore

the misery index drummer plays way the fuck too light, way too quiet. i use mostly wrist while stressing the fingers a little. i attribute volume to stick guages but the grip does factor in, you want to be heard right? use your wrists

Old 2005-05-09, 20:12
Exodus
New Blood

first of all, thank u for ur answeres.

@BrokenCrimson: i try to lift my underarm with every second stroke like dave lombado. my teacher said its good because my wrist gets a supply with blood.

Old 2005-05-10, 01:34
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by low-tech
the misery index drummer plays way the fuck too light, way too quiet. i use mostly wrist while stressing the fingers a little. i attribute volume to stick guages but the grip does factor in, you want to be heard right? use your wrists

Yeah thats true. He was warming up when i saw them and he was playing really quiet. I usually blast with my fingers when im blasting on the ride. Hi-hat blasts need the power of the wrists. I think they sound like shit when you finger blast the top of a hi-hat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.