MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2005-04-06, 19:24
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Chord Progressions?

Okay,

I'm wondering about chord progressions. I think they will better help me understand the scales I'm playing. I've pretty much taught myself, so I know I'm missing some key components to scales and melodies. Well I know this cause the harmony of the notes I use when I'm fuckin off don't click right. I wanna be able to transition between scales within a progression, and it make total harmonizing sense. I got this from wholenote.com

Quote:
Now that we know how to create a major scale, let's take a look at the chords that can be used in the major scale. Just like the major scale has a pattern, there is also a pattern in the chords that can be used when playing in a particular key. This pattern is as follows: Major, Minor, Minor, Major, Major, Minor, Diminished, Major. We usually refer to these as Roman numerals. I, ii, iii, IV, V, vi, vii* - and we usually omit the VIII because it is the same as I. So in the key of C, we have the following chords that can be used: C, Dm, Em, F, G, Am, B dim. Why is this important? Because we can now start creating chord progressions in any key. Again, in the key of C, a I, IV, 5 chord progression is C, F, G

Now my question is... How do you derive the pattern of Ma, Mi, Mi, Ma, Ma, Mi, Dim, Ma? Also I'm prob pretty sure that changes for whatever key your in, so if that went to G, it wouldn't stay constant would it? How can I take any scale in any key and figure what intervals are major, minor, diminished?

Thanks!

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Last edited by davie_gravy : 2005-04-06 at 19:27.

Old 2005-04-06, 20:10
guitar_demon
MotörCat

the ma, mi, mi, ma,ma,dim,ma will stay constant in every major scale
if you take the root of the chord you want (while in a certain key) you build that chord using the note names you would normally use for that chord but then you take the type of note it is from the scale and that will make it either ma,mi or dim

so lets use Ab scale (Ab-Bb-C-DB-EB-F-G)
now lets make an f-chord so we can keep that pattern
F-AB-C this would be minor

if we just made an f-major chord it would be f-a-c but in the scale of Ab we have Ab's so we use that and it makes it a minor chord

basically to make a chord
minor-you lower the 3rd of the chord down a half step (F-AB-C)
diminished- you lower the 3rd and 5th of the chord a half step(F-AB-CB)
augmented-raise the 5th up a half step(F-A-C#) (although these dont show up in the pattern above)

iif you dont get it or have other questions just ask em
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Last edited by guitar_demon : 2005-04-06 at 20:14.

Old 2005-04-07, 00:47
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

Okay,

I think I understand. So in Ab, a C chord would be minor cause (C Eb G) has a flattened 3rd making it minor? And a G chord would be diminished (G Bb Db) cause it has a flattened 3rd and 5th? Now, would the G diminished scale and the C minor scale both harmonize with my major scale progression?

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2005-04-07, 20:09
SpiritCrusher
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by davie_gravy
Okay,

I think I understand. So in Ab, a C chord would be minor cause (C Eb G) has a flattened 3rd making it minor? And a G chord would be diminished (G Bb Db) cause it has a flattened 3rd and 5th? Now, would the G diminished scale and the C minor scale both harmonize with my major scale progression?

Yeah, just try it. But you've got to resolve on the C or G to really "hear" the effect, because you're basically playing notes from the Ab major scale anyway.

EDIT : Diminished = arpeggio though.

Last edited by SpiritCrusher : 2005-04-07 at 20:20.