MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2005-03-23, 19:30
shimbolla
Senior Metalhead

A Thread About Drum Machines

Yeah, I heard your sigh. But just to let you know, I used the searching tool and only found one thread on this -- which wasn't very helpful. So, here's my thread...
I've heard of some bands using only a drum machine (of course, some of Mortician. and also I heard "Fuck...I'm dead" do it too). But what kind? I can play the drumset on my keyboard, record it to the keyboard files, and play it back so it can be like a drummer. And I've got an automatic drum "loop" or whatever (sorry if that's not what it's called) with my effects processor, but that just sucks ass. So I was thinking of an actual "drum machine". Should I go with a drum machine that you play it yourself and record it as a play-back file, or a drum machine that has all beats and stuff automatic (but better than the average drum loop thingy)? I'm looking for a good drum machine to replace a drummer basically. At least for recording, and possibly live shows (if it doesn't look TOO stupid). I was just wanting a little information on the two kinds of drum machines and your recommendations on brands.

Old 2005-03-23, 21:24
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

the following post was taken from the Fuck ...Im Dead forum:
Quote:
Originally Posted by built_to_blast
yeah, we use a BOSS DR660 or DR770, i reckon the 660 is better less memory but 3 individual outputs!! FUK YES!!!!!
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2005-03-24, 06:19
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimbolla
At least for recording, and possibly live shows (if it doesn't look TOO stupid).

you'd better make a damn good stage presence through the vocalist. which jay does very nicely for FID, so they are excused for having a drum machine.

Old 2005-03-24, 07:03
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

he makes for a big stage presence
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2005-03-24, 07:39
corroded
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimbolla
Yeah, I heard your sigh. But just to let you know, I used the searching tool and only found one thread on this -- which wasn't very helpful. So, here's my thread...
I've heard of some bands using only a drum machine (of course, some of Mortician. and also I heard "Fuck...I'm dead" do it too). But what kind? I can play the drumset on my keyboard, record it to the keyboard files, and play it back so it can be like a drummer. And I've got an automatic drum "loop" or whatever (sorry if that's not what it's called) with my effects processor, but that just sucks ass. So I was thinking of an actual "drum machine". Should I go with a drum machine that you play it yourself and record it as a play-back file, or a drum machine that has all beats and stuff automatic (but better than the average drum loop thingy)? I'm looking for a good drum machine to replace a drummer basically. At least for recording, and possibly live shows (if it doesn't look TOO stupid). I was just wanting a little information on the two kinds of drum machines and your recommendations on brands.

get hold of cubase or nuendo, get their lm4 plugins (drum machine), and download (or create from existing ones) drum samples, and there you go.

Old 2005-03-24, 13:45
shimbolla
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc
you'd better make a damn good stage presence through the vocalist. which jay does very nicely for FID, so they are excused for having a drum machine.

Well, I doubt the "vocalist" will make a good stage presence--I am the vocalist. But I'm also the bassist. And since I use my bass with a guitar effects processor, it just sounds like a really low yet nicely filled guitar. Therefore, it sounds fine without another stringed instrument. Long explanation short, I'm the only guy in the band besides a drummer. So if i used only a drum machine, I'd be alone on stage. That's why I was alittle worried about how it would look. But hopefully, I'd be one of those guys that are able to use a drum machine with recording and stuff, and only has to have a real drummer for the road.

And I just bid (last night) on a Boss DR660 on eBay. Hopefully I'll get it there (it's quite cheap), but if not I'll probably run down to my local music dealer and get one from him.
I'll also look into that download thingy.

Last edited by shimbolla : 2005-03-24 at 13:49.

Old 2005-03-24, 17:27
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

I have a damn cool drum machine. It gives you beats, you can make beats, you can plug your guitar/bass/mic in and it will record them. Plus it has a shit load of effects and a compresser. So I usually record through that before I put it into my recording system on my computer and burn it down.

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2005-03-24, 20:48
shimbolla
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casketcrusher
I have a damn cool drum machine. It gives you beats, you can make beats, you can plug your guitar/bass/mic in and it will record them. Plus it has a shit load of effects and a compresser. So I usually record through that before I put it into my recording system on my computer and burn it down.

Sounds kick-ass! I'll go down to the store and ask for "one of those damn cool drum machines".

(by the way, hope you didn't take that as mean or anything. just fuckin around. but what kind is it?)

Last edited by shimbolla : 2005-03-24 at 21:21.

Old 2005-03-24, 21:55
Sick Fucker
New Blood
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by built_to_blast
yeah, we use a BOSS DR660 or DR770, i reckon the 660 is better less memory but 3 individual outputs!! FUK YES!!!!!

I think they mean the BOSS DR-670...I have it myself, if you calibrate it right, it works pretty good!

Here are some specs:

256 Drum sounds
16 Bass sounds (Guess you won't be needing those)
Maximum of 200 user patterns (Watch the number of notes though)
Maximum note storage: appr. 8,000 notes
Tempo: 20-260 BPM (Quarter note)
Output Jacks L/R
Headphones Jack (Stereo Miniature phone type)
Foot Switch Jack (Stereo 1/4 inch phone type)
MIDI Connectors IN/OUT
AC Adaptor Jack (DC 9v) <----Adaptor not included though

I use it for both drums and bass, and I can put 2 really complex or 3-4 "normal" songs in it...So for drums only, I'd guess about 4-6 "normal" songs...Not to much really.

Contact me if you want more info.