MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2005-03-09, 00:29
hammer_smashed_face
New Blood

Double Kick

Hey, I was just wondering if anyone has any good exercises that would improve my double kick?.

Cheers

Old 2005-03-09, 01:18
The Execrator
Noob lud

There are numerous exercises to improving your feet. Im too lazy to sit here typing out a ton of stuff so i will just put this one in. Get a metronome and find a bpm that you are good with. Just sit at your kit for like 5 minutes and play straight 16th notes at that bpm. You can play whatever with your hands but dont stop playing the double bass. Thats usually one of the things i will do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2005-03-09, 03:00
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

4 bars of single noted 4 bars of 32nds at your absolute limit of BPM (I do this at 130 BPM) do ten minutes of that, then 10 minutes of rest etc. for an hour and you will notice a vast improvement in your double bass playing, or you can also play slow 16ths for AGES like 15+ minutes.

Old 2005-03-09, 04:33
hammer_smashed_face
New Blood

thanks

Old 2005-03-09, 13:54
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

My excercises which I do for double bass are:
Beginning just to play rlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlrlr from 130 up to 170 in 10bps steps. and at 170-180
rrrrllllrrrrllllrrrrllllrrrrllllrrrrllll
rrrrrrrrrlllllllllrrrrrrrrrrrlllllllll
rrrrrrrrrrrrrllllllllllll
rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrlllllllllllllllll (as you can see on derek roddys video)and so on...for 1 min. each. (I should play 2min. each but I havent enough time because of practise other stuff...)
Helps a lot.
Also I play heel down paradiddles...from time to time, just to increase the heel down speed on the left foot, which really helps at higher tempos.

Old 2005-03-14, 13:59
BodomBeachTerror
New Blood

when ure not drumming and your sitting down, you do heel down kicks and toe down anyone know a good stretch for your knee speed?

Old 2005-03-14, 19:30
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

the knee moving is the smallest issue...
Sometimes if im sitting here, I just play half timed heel down to songs, what im listening to.

Old 2005-06-20, 13:27
low-tech
Post-whore

reviving this thread to ask about double bass techniques, i set up a double on practice pads and am now learning. as tho i prefer single to be stylisticly different and im a fan of unorthodoxy, im still gonna learn it.

so here is the question, when doing back beats and practicing rolls i find that sometimes my feet hit opposite my hands.....like sometimes my left foot matches the beat of my right hand and am wondering which is the easier way when your hands and feet are hitting in unison, are the feet always left leading? or is it right foot/right hand left foot/left hand. it confuses me becuase i got to get the roll down and i dont know which way to progress at a beginner stage, the left leading way seems easier but i can only do the roll on the "and" or upbeat. i cant do it on the downbeat.........im confused

Old 2005-06-20, 14:07
The Execrator
Noob lud

I dont really get what your asking but i'll try to help. If you play righty, you should lead your double bass rolls with your right foot. Do you mean your doing single strokes with your hands and trying to play on top of that with your feet doing the same thing?

Quote:
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2005-06-20, 15:48
low-tech
Post-whore

for some reason my kicks hit opposite, left on the downbeat, right on the ands, i'll try to tab it out

R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-R-
LRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLRLR <ive tried to tab a third line for snare hits but the font spacing doesnt really work well>

Old 2005-06-20, 16:01
The Execrator
Noob lud

Hmm. I dont know if i'll be able to help you with that. If its not bothering you and you feel comfortable with it, its probably fine.

Quote:

Old 2005-06-20, 19:35
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

Yeah, I'm getting a similar thing. I've been playing for years but only recently decided I'd better try to learn some double kick stuff (despite a lot of protestations to the contrary).

Anyway, I started at slow tempos (120bpm or something) and thought I'd build up speed that way, but had major troubles (as detailed at great length elsewhere in this forum somewhere). I've since discovered it was at least half due to me using a SHIT double pedal, and now I've got a better one I've found a massive overnight improvement. But when I try to play at faster speeds (180bpm upwards) I can just about hold it, but only if I lead with my left. (I'm right handed). No idea why and I'd prefer it not to be the case.

I wonder if it's because my left leg has learnt soley through practice and has got used to hitting the blip on the metronome, whereas my right can do just about anything I tell it to. I have occasionally found that both feet try to hit at the same time which I put down to the same thing. I think it might be worth investing in a metronome that does eighth notes aswell as just quarters.

Old 2005-06-21, 12:11
low-tech
Post-whore

ive never played with a metronome, i probably should get one. tempo is one of my weaknesses, im not always solid with it, i have a tendency to speed up songs at the end. but yeah, my feet are left leading for some reason, its entirely comfortable and i guess ill stick with it. i think what was preventing me from learning this was trying it the other way.

Old 2005-06-27, 13:04
jimmers
Senior Metalhead

Just read a magazine interview with Dave Lombardo.

He said he's left handed and it was his drum teacher years ago that insisted he play right handed, but he still leads with his left on fills and double kick. So you're not alone.

Old 2005-06-28, 03:33
low-tech
Post-whore

i cant do much with the left lead anyway,im at the point where i could learn any which way coz its basically starting from scratch, i guess ill try to work both, its gonna take a long time for me to learn this.............i can feel it

Old 2005-08-20, 22:14
The_Bodom_King
New Blood

Talking

i tihnk the best one u can do is what The Execrator said there is no real way 2 b able do it as fast as joey gust like that its a bit or practice but gust keep uping the tempo and soon ull b playing faster than u thought possible

Old 2005-09-14, 04:16
low-tech
Post-whore

i just set up my crappy ascend<ass-end>double up on my kit for the first time today and jammed with the band, i totally learned it, my blasts are a little sloppy tho but yeah im psyched..............so now i can get rid of my tom and be 2 piece drummer, all beats no fills