MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2005-02-10, 00:15
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Restringing?

I just got new strings for my guitar (an Ibanez GRX40), but I can't figure out how to remove the old bastards from the body! This is my first time changing a string, any idea how to do this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death By Monkeys
That's insulting. They can make sandwiches and iron clothes. You should be ashamed.

Old 2005-02-10, 00:58
Bia
Muffin Ass

Old 2005-02-10, 01:18
KILL TULLY
New Blood

Hey mate, well if you don't have a trem-bar (like a floyd rose) all you have to do is a: unwind them from the headstock, and slip them out of the bridge. b: cut hte mother fuckers and remove each half from the headstock and bridge respectivly.

on anothe rnote, how many of you really string your guitars properlly and how many take the lazy half or maybe one full rotation of the tuning knob? I myself do it the lazy way...for shame

Old 2005-02-10, 01:41
SmotPoker
Senior Metalhead

Latley ive been pretty damn lazy since i been playing on my squire and my Ibanez has been in the shop. The damn things got dorrito powder all over the fretboard right now lol. When i get my Ibanez back in a week i probably wont touch that inferiror thing for another year.

Old 2005-02-10, 03:23
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by KILL TULLY
Hey mate, well if you don't have a trem-bar (like a floyd rose) all you have to do is a: unwind them from the headstock, and slip them out of the bridge. b: cut hte mother fuckers and remove each half from the headstock and bridge respectivly.

on anothe rnote, how many of you really string your guitars properlly and how many take the lazy half or maybe one full rotation of the tuning knob? I myself do it the lazy way...for shame

That's the problem. I managed to get them out of the headstock, but they're like jammed into the bridge. I have them out of the headstock, so I pulled on them, but no matter what they won't come out. Should I unscrew the screws near them? I tried but they screws are in TIGHT and I already partially stripped the screw.
Quote:
That's insulting. They can make sandwiches and iron clothes. You should be ashamed.

Old 2005-02-10, 05:06
KILL TULLY
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4d5e6f
That's the problem. I managed to get them out of the headstock, but they're like jammed into the bridge. I have them out of the headstock, so I pulled on them, but no matter what they won't come out. Should I unscrew the screws near them? I tried but they screws are in TIGHT and I already partially stripped the screw.

haha, bro, PUSH them out of the bridge...well now that i think about it your probobly trying that... The come out on the inside of the bridge, the side that faces the neck...but i don't see how you can't tell that, because usually when you undo the strings the just kind of slip out that way a litle and you grab that loose end and yoink 'em out.

Old 2005-02-10, 19:46
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

So I just yank them out? Then how would I put the new ones in? Or do they come out in the back of the guitar? There's a white plate on the back, that I can unscrew, and you can see the bottoms of the strings inside the holes, should I try pushing them really hard out?
Quote:

Old 2005-02-10, 20:35
ManOwaR
Post-whore

Quote:
So I just yank them out? Then how would I put the new ones in? Or do they come out in the back of the guitar? There's a white plate on the back, that I can unscrew, and you can see the bottoms of the strings inside the holes, should I try pushing them really hard out?

yup, but if it's to hard then take it to the nearest music shop and let them tell you how to do it

Old 2005-02-10, 20:59
blizzard_beast
Post-whore

Try getting tweezers or very thin pliers (think modelling) grip the ball/O shape and yank it out. (They come out from the back of the guitar )

Old 2005-02-11, 04:33
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

I found out if I push them down from the bridge, they will pop out the back if i remove the white plate on the back.
Quote:

Old 2005-02-11, 04:41
northerndragon
Senior Metalhead

Quote:

yes they come out of that white plate. there should be six little holes push the string and it should come out through there. just experiment but you dont have to unscrew anything. or take anything apart for that matter.

when you goto restring just put it through the hole and up through the headstock. make sure you put the strings on correctly, which theres probably a thread about already.

nørthern dragon