MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2005-01-27, 03:14
GUITARFETUS
Senior Metalhead

laney tube amp

hey everyone, if you remember i had a thread about me having problems finding and buying a new amp head, i was getting realy desperate and i was almost gonna buy a behringer, well i followed some of your guys'z advice and i went with looking for a badass used amp, well i found one and i bought it, i ended up buying a used LANEY pro-tube 100 lead, and i tried it out at the store and it sounded good, but it was played through a marshall 1960 cab, so that might have helped, i know this amp, is pretty old, but what do you people think about it? my only concern, and the reason i was a bit hesitant about buying it is the tubes, i am not much of an expert in tubes, and this thing has 4 output tubes, and 4 preamp tubes, this is going to be a bitch when it comes time to change them, well does anyone have any opinions on this amp?

Old 2005-01-27, 09:28
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

haven't ever played one, they're pretty old right? I think they're what Laney bases the VH series on, so they must be kickass...

got any pics and stuff? and what cab are you using it with now?

well, thats sure as hell beats any behringer crap, you can be sure about that

Old 2005-01-27, 10:56
arvina
Post-whore

what do YOU think about the amp.i have seen 'em on ebay for super cheap.i've also consodered buying it a bunch of times.maybe its worth it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
nah man, nah, I had an itchy ballsack!

forget wall of marshalls look at this wall of engls!
http://www.engl-amps.com/pics/newsp..._stevemorse.jpg

www.tdiclub.com

Old 2005-01-27, 22:28
GUITARFETUS
Senior Metalhead

well.. what I think about it isnt certain yet, becouse i only tried it out at the store, and im actualy on my way to my practice space to try it out for the first time with MY GEAR from what i heard at the store, its pretty nice, and i am using it with my 4x12 crate cabinet, someone told me it was a good cabinet i guess, but so far what i heard at the store was enough to convince me to buy it, and i have been reading reveiws and i havnt seen one single bad reveiw on these things, also toni iomy uses laney, so they must be pretty good, and these things are pretty old my specificaly is from around 85-88, i have heard nothing but good things about these amps, and i am on my way to check it out for myself, if anyone has more opinions or experience with this amp let me know.

Old 2005-01-27, 22:32
arvina
Post-whore

k great.make sure you tell me what you think after practice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
nah man, nah, I had an itchy ballsack!

forget wall of marshalls look at this wall of engls!
http://www.engl-amps.com/pics/newsp..._stevemorse.jpg

www.tdiclub.com

Old 2005-01-28, 03:12
GUITARFETUS
Senior Metalhead

the results are in i am very satisfied with the amps sound, i am not to familiar with some of the knobbs and stuff, but i got a realy cool sound out of it, without an eaqualizer, this amp is realy kickass, it still could use a little bit of eq messing around with, but other than that, it sounds great, pretty loud too, 100 watt tube would sound nice. but yea, now that i know it sounds nice, i just would like to hear from somebody that has experience with the amp, to let me know some of the info, i know i can get a badass sound out of this but i just have to get to know it a little bit better.

Old 2005-01-28, 18:06
Myrmidonlord666
Senior Metalhead

Dude those amps are great, I had 2, BOTH STOLEN, do you have the ones with Push Pull knobs? THose are sexy...

It sounds like a Suped up Marshall JCM 800/900 With alittle more gain (Activate the Push/Pull Knob on the gain Woosh!!!!!!!!!) Takes Pedals like a champ and what not really nice amp
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
it was too hifi for me...
it's like a hot chick that is horrible in bed.

Old 2005-01-28, 19:20
GUITARFETUS
Senior Metalhead

yup, it has the pull knobbs, and yea it does have a nice jcm800 sound to it, the distortion was actualy pretty decent on this awsome amp, but with my gear it sounds like it needs a little bit more eq, but when i tried my distortion pedal. it was pretty much perfect, except i have a seven string and the rest of the strings sound great but the 7th gets muddy but i can fix it, as soon, as i mess around with the amp settings, i only tried about 2 different settings and i was more than satisfied, with them, i am falling in love with this amp, (thats a first)

Old 2005-01-28, 19:50
Myrmidonlord666
Senior Metalhead

Fuck yeh those amps own... They can hit the Gorguts/Immolation sound if you EQ them right and run a PRO CO TURBO RAT into them to push it alittle more, those amps are the sexiest cheapest Tube Amps...
Originally Posted by xdislexicx
it was too hifi for me...
it's like a hot chick that is horrible in bed.

Old 2005-01-28, 19:57
GUITARFETUS
Senior Metalhead

i was hoping to get an immolation/nile sound, i tune to all the way to A so hey i will check out one of these pro-co rat things or whatever you said. thanks alot

Last edited by GUITARFETUS : 2005-01-30 at 00:36.

Old 2005-01-30, 00:36
GUITARFETUS
Senior Metalhead

Old 2005-02-03, 22:33
GUITARFETUS
Senior Metalhead

i am confused about some of the knobbs on this thing, one says pre-amp1 level , preamp2 level, preamp1 volume, it kind of confused me, i hae a good setting on it and it works but, i am just not sure if i have it were it should be.

Old 2007-09-05, 03:12
CorpseToBe
New Blood

Thumbs up I have a Laney AOR 100 that I want to sell, have owned several before

Hey I've owned several Laney AORs and they do kick ass. Like they say, they have a Marshall JCM800 like tone but darker and more gain, distortion.
I used to play in bands in San Diego in the 90s playing death metal ala Entombed, Slayer, Napalam Death, Carcass with these amps. Only thing I used with it was a small 4 space rack with a tuner, gate, eq, & Sonic Maximizer, but I didn't always use this stuff, it tended to take some rawness away.
I dont' really play big anymore, just 1x12 practice amp most of the time, so doesn't make sense to have a 100w stack anymore.
All the dark, brutal death metal dudes I knew then used these amps.

Old 2007-09-05, 08:52
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

Thou shalt not ressurect old threads.