MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2005-01-23, 05:20
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

Theory Applied

I feel the best way to learn theory is to see it applied in music. Post riffs (of your own or from a band) that show different aspects of theory and how it's used, not just showing different scales.

Old 2005-01-23, 09:45
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

This is a good idea.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2005-01-23, 22:09
ManOwaR
Post-whore

I really like that idea...

Old 2005-01-24, 16:44
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
This is a good idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOwaR
I really like that idea...

You should be posting examples then
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2005-01-24, 18:33
ManOwaR
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast
You should be posting examples then

hehe I'm not good enough at this theory shit, but I'de like it if other peoble would post examples...

Old 2005-01-25, 06:48
TruthDevoid
Drugged Unholy

I would if i knew an easy way to tab stuff on here, but i don't. Plus, i don't know enough theory to be teaching. I only know the basics

Quote:
Originally Posted by viewer_from_nihil
the song serial cocksucker changed my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Are you going to snort cheap pharmaceutical drugs with your lizard as well?

Old 2005-01-25, 16:18
Amon rA
Senior Metalhead

heres a lick i wrote in Eminor which goes from diminished half to phygrian mode to diminished half, to Eminor pentatonic to something i dont know the name of. it might show smooth transitions between scales. it probably doesn't
Code:
(diminished half) e--13-12-16-12-15-12-13-12-16-12-15-12-13-12-16-12-15-12-13-12------------ B---------------------------------------------------------------------15b(17)r-- G------------------------------------------------------------------------------- D------------------------------------------------------------------------------- A------------------------------------------------------------------------------- E------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (phygrian) (diminished half) e------------------------------------------------------------------------------- B-12-13-12--------------------------------------------------------------------- G-----------14-12-------------------------------------------------------------- D-----------------15-14-12----------------------------------------------------- A---------------------------15-14-12---------------------10-11-13-14---------- E-------------------------------------15-13-12-10-12-13----------------------- (pentatonic) e------------------------13----------------------------------------------------- B---------------------------15-12-b(17)b(17)r15-12----------14-12------------- G--------------12-13-14----------------------------14-12----14-12------------- D-11-12-14-15--------------------------------------------14--------14--------- A------------------------------------------------------------------------------- E------------------------------------------------------------------------------- (??????) (more that i cant be arsed to tab out) e----------------------------------12trill(15)--------------------------------------------- B----------------------13b(15)r13----------------------------------------------- G------------------------------------------------------------------------------- D------------12-13-14---------------------------------------------------------- A--12-13-14-------------------------------------------------------------------- E-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

if anyone can tell me what scale that end bit is?

i have left out almost all dynamics/timing tones and stuff because this isnt about technique.

note: this is a representation of my work and is intended for educational use only. any motherfucker stealing my lick will be prosecuted in hell.
besides, only an idiot would steal someone elses solo. especially one of mine.
"The complexity of the penguins' lifestyle testifies to a Divine Creator," said one commentator on Christian Answers. "To think that natural selection or even the penguins themselves could come up with the idea to migrate miles and miles multiple times each year without their partner or their offspring is a bit insulting to my intellect. How great is our God!"

Last edited by Amon rA : 2005-01-25 at 16:21.

Old 2005-04-03, 23:33
Vomital
New Blood

Bump, this is a good idea.

Old 2005-04-05, 04:41
Absördd
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthDevoid
I would if i knew an easy way to tab stuff on here, but i don't. Plus, i don't know enough theory to be teaching. I only know the basics

Dude, an expert is somone whos mastered the basics.

Old 2005-04-05, 19:05
guitar_demon
MotörCat

an expert is someone who knows all their is to know about a certian subject, just knowing the basics is FAR from being an expert at theory. it is a start though
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2005-04-05, 21:29
Vomital
New Blood

Well, does someone at least have some links to someone doing this?

Old 2005-04-06, 00:48
Amon rA
Senior Metalhead

seeing as none of you like my example of how to change fluidly between scales while soloing, ill post an example of harmonising instead.

Code:
(played together) Guitar 1 e|----|---------------------------------|---------|----| B|----|---------------------------------|---------|----| G|----|---------------------------------|---------|----| D|----|----------4-----------5----------|-7--5--4-|----| A|----|-7--5--7-----7--5--7-----7--5--7-|---------|-5--| E|--0-|---------------------------------|---------|----| guitar 2 e|----|---------------------------------|---------|----| B|----|---------------------------------|---------|----| G|----|----------------------4----------|-7--5--4-|----| D|----|-5--4--5--7--5--4--5-----5--4--5-|---------|-4--| A|----|---------------------------------|---------|----| E|--0-|---------------------------------|---------|----|

I have split this into sections, although it should be played as strait 4/4 on the beat.
here is what each section contains...
1st. - no harmonisation
2nd. - guitar 2 is a minor 3rd up
3rd. - guitar 2 is a constant 4th up
4th. - guitar 2 is a major 3rd up
i suppose you need 2 guitars to fully understand that, but it is intended to show that by interchanging harmonies, you can make things sound better.

note: this is a representation of my work and is intended for educational use only. any motherfucker stealing my riff will be prosecuted in hell.
besides, only an idiot would steal someone elses riff. especially one of mine.

or have i just got the wrong end of the wrong stick
"The complexity of the penguins' lifestyle testifies to a Divine Creator," said one commentator on Christian Answers. "To think that natural selection or even the penguins themselves could come up with the idea to migrate miles and miles multiple times each year without their partner or their offspring is a bit insulting to my intellect. How great is our God!"

Old 2005-06-25, 07:03
EZURATE
Metalhead

Basically the best thing to do is learn all of the theory you can, and then just "forget it" when you are jamming. You don't want things to sound mechanical or "plastic". Just play by feeling. All the theory will come to you after you have played some cool riffs (or arrangements) and when you go back to figure out what you just played, then you can apply the theory, etc.

Also, it's best to learn your theory from books with facts instead of trying to read opinions over the internet. Practice, play, and learn from books and other factual sources.

Last edited by EZURATE : 2005-06-25 at 07:08.