MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Music Theory

Old 2005-01-03, 20:41
TerribleC
New Blood

Music Theory applied to Metal

I was wondering if there are particular parts of music theory that apply especially well to metal, maybe people could post a few tips?. I don't know much theory myself but I think these could be candidates...

Our old friend the tritone/augmented fourth interval: E-A#

This pattern seems to come up a lot: E-G-A#-B

eg. Metallica - Blackened: EEEEEEA#EEBA#G
or Call Of Ktulu: EEEEGEGBA#A#A#A#A#B
(or maybe its just Metallica?)

I mostly listen to DM and apart from the above the main rule seems to be 'no rules', is this correct?

Old 2005-01-03, 22:03
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

I don't really know what you're trying to get at but yeah that augmented 4th interval was known as the 'Devil's Interval' to medieval monks and is used to attain a somewhat darker sound to a progression. Hence it's propensity in metal.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2005-01-03, 23:09
TerribleC
New Blood

I mean, are there particular methods of getting a metal sound... e.g. is there a scale that sounds particularly dark/metal? Other common intervals? etc. etc. Interesting about that devil's interval, by the way.

Old 2005-01-03, 23:51
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Yeah, the "Devils Interval" was strickly forbiddon from all church compositions for a very long time.

You'll find most of your dark sounds in Minor and Harmonic Minor scales, chords, and keys. You can get some pretty wicked sounds from certain Polly Chords too.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2005-01-04, 00:34
xdislexicx
TEH PWNZOR!!!1qa
Alumni Staff

dissonant intervals like tritones, minor seconds, major and minor 7th's... are all pretty common in metal-ish music for the "displeasing" or uncomfortable sound they tend to have.
usually minor like scales and arppeggios are applied as well... basically for the darker/sadder/eviler sounds that come from them.

hammer ons,pull offs, pinch harmonics, palmutes, ect. are all pretty common techniques too.

Old 2005-01-04, 00:36
Necro_Butcher
Post-whore

im not a big fan of disonit chords just play as chords

they can be cool when they are played just one not at a time

Old 2005-01-04, 15:26
MatiasS
New Blood

Diminished arpeggios, and spanish scale is often used in metal

Old 2005-01-07, 06:54
Endymion
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
I don't really know what you're trying to get at but yeah that augmented 4th interval was known as the 'Devil's Interval' to medieval monks and is used to attain a somewhat darker sound to a progression. Hence it's propensity in metal.

According to Wikipedia, in Latin it's referred to as 'diabolus in musica'... sound familiar?

Old 2005-01-07, 09:00
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Yes. "The Devil in music"

Also a Slayer album

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2005-01-09, 06:32
lamb_of_god
Supreme Metalhead

Minor and Harmonic Minor stuff, Diminished stuff, Chromatic stuff, and symettrical stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
Everything is funny you just gotta look at it the right way.

Quote:
You know I believe in a ruling class, particuarly since I rule.

-Randal, Clerks

scientology

MySpace

scientology

Old 2005-01-12, 01:53
Zombie Clown
Metalhead

half steps, i dont know why, but ive heard half steps referred to as the "evil interval" on occasion, im probably wrong though

Old 2005-01-12, 18:28
SuNioj0369
Supreme Metalhead

Yeah, half steps are widely used and are definatley one of the most dissonant intervals found.

Old 2005-01-14, 00:56
briyo2289
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb_of_god
Minor and Harmonic Minor stuff, Diminished stuff, Chromatic stuff, and symettrical stuff.

explain what a symmetrical scale would be please

"I don't think I should be playing with these medium strings. I need light guage if I'm gonna thrash." - Master Shake

Death, Megadeth, Testament, Ozzy, Exodus, Dream Theater, Iron Maiden, Annihilator, Pantera, GWAR, Symphony X, Iced Earth, Anthrax, Bodom, Cannibal Corpse, Kreator, Hammerfall, Nevermore.

RIP DimeBag
RIP Syd Barrett

Old 2005-01-14, 02:11
amerok
Senior Metalhead

A symmetrical scale is any scale (not always eight notes) that has a set pattern to it, whether that pattern repeats itself at the octave or not. Take the diminished scale. This scale is symmetrical because if you take 1/2, 1, 1/2, 1, 1/2 etc the pattern repeats itself each (1/2, 1) This means that there are 3 roots by the way since the pattern has only 3 notes in it. (not the whole scale just itself)

Its hard to explain over a forum, feel free to message me if you need help.

-amerok

Old 2005-01-15, 21:33
Thrashboy
New Blood

From my experiences, all music theory works well with metal, and the most important things are good distortion, and attitude. Certain things do lend better to a metal attitude, but they have pretty much all been covered so far.

Attitude!!!!

Old 2005-01-15, 23:58
SuNioj0369
Supreme Metalhead

Agreed. Nowadays, pretty much everything is open territory when it comes to metal. And, like you said, with 95% of metal, unless you have the attitude, how you apply theory probably won't mean shit.

Old 2005-02-21, 22:01
Sam Hudson
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley

That I know of,there was only one forbidden interval which was from an F to a B which is,a #4 or b5 and they wouldn't let composers use(or so I believe)but Bach did,he didn't give a shit and used the b5.Rebel all the way.

Killer,intruder,homicidal man

Old 2005-05-05, 08:32
DamageFan6984
Senior Metalhead

A lot of metal bands use Harmonic Minor scales which is just regular minor scales with a raised 7th. You should try it.

Old 2005-06-06, 09:21
Schizoid
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamageFan6984
A lot of metal bands use Harmonic Minor scales which is just regular minor scales with a raised 7th. You should try it.

Any bands use Melodic Minor scales? I keep hearing people talking about Minor and Harmonic but I rarely saw anyone talking about the Melodic minor scale. I know of the major and minor scales. But are there Diminished and Chromatic scales?

Last edited by Schizoid : 2005-06-06 at 09:28.

Old 2005-06-08, 07:00
davie_gravy
Metal As Fuck!

I believe the natural minor is also referred to as the descending melodic minor. The ascending melodic minor (different scale then the above) is commonly used in jazz. I don't know much about it's use in metal. And yes, there are diminished and chromatic scales as well. Just check out http://www.looknohands.com/chordhou...r/index_rb.html They have every scale!!

BuildTheMusic.com is your #1 FREE online guitar resource center.

Old 2005-06-08, 10:16
Banishment
Metalhead

if you're looking for dark sounding scales try the locrian mode, thats about the most dissonant, I think.

Old 2005-06-09, 03:49
amerok
Senior Metalhead

if youre not into harmonic/melodic shit - as mentioned, locrian. also, mixolydian may be considered a 'badass' version of the major scale, dont underestimate major sounds. but the cool thing about mixolydian is that its not used so much in metal, so you can get some really unique sounds by using it. Phyrgian can also sound dark if you use it the right way. if those dont work out you could always try regular minor, which would be the easiest to get the feel out.

most importantly, make sure your rhythm section is in whatever mode you want before even fucking with lead. cause if you are writing in a different key it might sound a bit off