MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2004-12-28, 01:36
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Cymbal advice and info

So, there comes a time in every beginer drummer's life when he or she wants to buy some cymbals that sound totally sexy buuuuttt... I have no idea where to start. For one, it would have to be something versatile since I like doom, black, death and industrial metal. Industrial is the least like the other 3, so something more suitable for the first three than industrial. What weight should they be anyway? Something that has a short decay time for crashes, basically with little of that annoying aftersound. Something with a darker, aggresive and articulated sound. Eek, you get what I mean. Recomend away, and give me more than brand names, weight and such would be nice too. Thanks in advance, my pretties.

Old 2004-12-28, 05:47
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

okay:

Zildjarn A customs are really nice crashes (I got one 2nd hand for free, when I bought my mates kit, I love it)

the Z customs are also very good

erm

AA Meinl are making some good sounding, very bargainous cymbals ATM, I have a 20" ride from them, has a nice ping on the bell, and a very crisp sound.

Sabian stuff is good, but I am not a huge fan of them, I mean my Sabian ride is very nice, but the Splash I have isn't.

as for unique sounds and industrial, I strongly suggest this, go out to the second hand world and buy the cheapest most peice of shit cymbals you can find, then take to them with whatever you have in your garage, go crazy!! by the end of it you will have a really unique cymbal with a very unique sound, a mate of mine has many custom stacks made this way, they sound very fucking sweet! go hard until you have a sound that you like and then add it to your kit, I am gonna do this at some point but haven't had time.

Finally if it rings it is percussian and can be used as a cymbal, Circ Saw blades, Boat propellers etc. have all been used as cymbals and they have a really cool unique sound, so again experiment, George Kollias of Nile has 2-3 sawblades on his kit, Bostic (Derek Roddy forum moderator) has a boat propeller and it sounds sweet, I think he also has a sawblade or 2 but I can't remember.

so yeah, Go hard and see what you can come up with!!!!

Old 2004-12-28, 22:32
The Execrator
Noob lud

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCrimson
So, there comes a time in every beginer drummer's life when he or she wants to buy some cymbals that sound totally sexy buuuuttt... I have no idea where to start. For one, it would have to be something versatile since I like doom, black, death and industrial metal. Industrial is the least like the other 3, so something more suitable for the first three than industrial. What weight should they be anyway? Something that has a short decay time for crashes, basically with little of that annoying aftersound. Something with a darker, aggresive and articulated sound. Eek, you get what I mean. Recomend away, and give me more than brand names, weight and such would be nice too. Thanks in advance, my pretties.

If you go to any cymbal companys web site, you will notice they name the cymbals after how they sound. The have dark cymbals, quick decaying or fast cymbals and it says that in the definitions. Just look at the info and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2004-12-29, 11:06
ALKO
New Blood

the meinl amun series - sounds really great

Old 2004-12-29, 14:36
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

paiste rude seires cymbals have short decy but that could also hurt your wallet seeing as they are high priced and all.

Check into sabian they make some.

i dunno just go try cymbals out for yourself cause anything we reccomend u may not like so the only way to get ones you like is to pick them out yourself.

Old 2004-12-29, 22:28
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

that is very true, but most people have similare cymbal setups (usually aty least one 20" ride a china, a cras about 16" or so and maybe on splash) it is only really the customisation after that which we cannot really help you with

Old 2004-12-30, 08:40
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

So, should I risk it and take to my current cymbals (shitty Tama ride and hi-hats) with a brick or something? Last time I hit my hi-hats too hard they turned inside out! Or maybe I'll turn them inside out and turn them upside down...

Old 2004-12-30, 16:02
The Execrator
Noob lud

Well ya, but wait untill you get other cymbals first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy
Please excuse me for I currently have a terminal erection, and the only cure is midget-cunny.

Old 2004-12-30, 22:04
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Actually, I got overexited at the prospect of smashing something so I did. I even took pics of myself smashing it and trowing it down the drive-way. The sound is very dark and low now, very nice, but it still has a long decay time (BITCH!). I'll run it over with a car in a couple of seconds before I go to work.

Old 2004-12-30, 22:22
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

wow pics of BC Smashing cymbals, well it is better than nothing I suppose, still you could have sprayed a little bit of blood around, maybe a pint or 2.....

btw can we see these pics, and I promise I won't make any more lurid comments about you

they sound pretty funny!

Old 2005-01-06, 15:18
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

If youre buying Zildjian or Anatolian cymbals you get guarantee.
You can smash them all and you`ll get a new one. (so of course you shouldnt smash all your cymbals because of that)
The A-Custom ride is very nice, also The sabian rides.

Old 2005-01-06, 23:28
rabbifoodslicer
Supreme Metalhead

alright. well heres what it comes down to really. paiste are thin and crack easily and they are expensive. sabian are kinda heavy and thicker i feel, but it dosent seem like they get that great of tone out of the hits. and zildjian have really good sound quality but thats for u to decide i guess...

Old 2005-01-07, 13:55
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

mhh I would say for loud playing is sabian very nice.
Paiste is too expensive so you have to spend too much money for a good sounding paiste.

Old 2005-01-08, 15:43
rabbifoodslicer
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord.Worm
mhh I would say for loud playing is sabian very nice.
Paiste is too expensive so you have to spend too much money for a good sounding paiste.

i agree. paiste as said before seem to be thinner thou and crack easily

Old 2005-01-08, 16:06
Lord.Worm
Senior Metalhead

So I wouldnt(!!!) get some in an internet shop.
Go to your next drum shop and make your own decision (hows that spelled?? :P ).
Because as I bought some of my cymbal, for example my sabian ride, I tried a cymbal which sounded crappy and I tried an other which l bought then.
So their are too different. (I hope you understand what I´m trying to say)

Old 2005-01-10, 20:51
rabbifoodslicer
Supreme Metalhead

eh??