MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2004-12-11, 21:19
panzer-god
New Blood

Help on power-metal vocals

Can anyone help me about this: I have been growling for a couple of years now, and would like to start a power-metal side project with a friend of mine. So i am about to attempt a sort of high pitching vocals characteristic for power metal and all that stuff, i am looking for an Annihilator inspired vocal style, combined with the old school pantara vocals. So i was wondering if you are capable of maintaining a good low gutteral growl, and in the weekends do these high pitching vocals in another band, without them affecting each other, or should i stop growling to get better results with my clean vocals (that just sounded gay)? And i was wondering if anyone had some useful voice practices or tips i could use to learn faster? I know it's a very demanding genre to do vocals on, so any help would be nice

Dimebag Darrel lives forever!

Old 2004-12-15, 20:44
suffocation
Metalhead

i playing guitar/vocals in a death metal band so i'm mainly used to those vocals,but whenever i'm listening to stuff like early pantera,maiden, and priest i usually sing along with it.i don't know any method to sing like that but i try.

Old 2005-01-10, 04:16
MorbidGuitar
Post-whore

just pretend your trying to be a girl

Old 2005-01-12, 17:37
ExhumedCarcass
Senior Metalhead

I do deep growls, high screams, and powermetal vocals all in one song, so you shouldn't have to stop the deep growls to get a good powermetal voice. But other people do say that to do the power metal vocals you should stop the growling and stuff. It doesn't effect me so maybe it won't effect you.

Old 2005-01-16, 16:06
Wes
New Blood

Better vocal - Cannibal Corpse!!!

Old 2005-01-16, 22:28
Transient
HES BAAACK

all this thread is is people talking about how they do vocals too

help or dont post

play notes on your guitar and try to hit them with your voice

make sure youre using your headtone to sing

sing loudly..but not too loud.if youre quiet and ashamed your voice does not come out right. sing louder than talking level

Old 2005-01-18, 09:20
Wes
New Blood

What is the Power Metal vocal??? And what type of vocal use in Black Metal I confused

Old 2005-01-18, 21:14
Transient
HES BAAACK

power metal is stuff like manowar and blind guardian. singing..high pitched, strong vocals

black metal is shrill and grating, screaming...snarling. not gutteral

Old 2005-01-18, 21:16
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

let your bandmates kick you in the balls after every song....

and use your headvoice. power-metal vocals depend a lot of practise and training though, maybe take lessons? I don't know anyone who can pull the off perfectly (and consistent) but I know a whole bunch of vocalist.

Old 2005-01-18, 22:30
darkexodite
New Blood

I think it realy takes practice to realy get you up there. Taking lessons is a good idea to train your voice for some of those higher pitched notes, and then as you progress you'll probably need some lessons to help your sustain and variation, also learning the proper way of breathing (was a major help for me...).
As far as just screaming high notes, it takes practice, everyone sucks at first (unless you're born with that kind of voice). After a week or two I got pretty good at hitting the higher notes, although my yells aren't as powerful as some other people I know, but I can hit similar notes to them (with more practice I'll get there). Breating, like I said earlier, realy helps if you know how to do it properly, so lessons for this would be great.
Well... I'll confess, lessons in general are a good idea, so it should never be overlooked.

Old 2009-04-17, 16:29
Silvernyx
New Blood

Here is a great tutorial: http://www.tonybullard.com/?page_id=19. Hope it's useful.