MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2004-12-05, 20:14
byron
New Blood

Angry Vocal endurance??

Hey- any of you guys have any ideas on improving vocal endurance?

At band practice my voice tends to go die out after multiple run-thrus of a song...

Btw I only scream once or twice per song so I doubt thats an issue...but late into the practice my voice starts to go and it cracks and BLEH..even just from singing.

Any suggestions?

Old 2004-12-06, 00:27
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

i'm a grindcore singer, so on top of my voice going, i get headaches too. take a bottle of water, or juice, with you into the practise room and have a medium size drink at the end of each song. too little drink will have no effect, too much drink will result in a very painful stitch in your side.

Old 2004-12-08, 19:25
GravelFistFM
New Blood

people...if you want to try to do both growling screaming and singing...i highly suggest that you do a singing class, if you are still in school...people talk about voice endurance, but singing actually prepares youre vocal chords for the hellto come. singing will actually morph your voice and growling or whatever you want, even better...and sing a little higher than you can, and lower than you can in practicing, so its a lot easier to get the right sound without so much effort

and as well as this whole drinking thing to help your vioce..i agree with the people who talk about using tea... es muy bueno

Old 2005-01-12, 17:26
Crimson Thought
Metalhead

Gravel had a good point, singing classes would help some. I sang all my life and when I started singing for death metal I was able to keep up with them without my voice dying out, and when they asked id i'd been screaming for a while I said no, and they told me about how every other perosn they'd auditioned had burned out after about 1 hour.

One thing that REALLY helps, I dont know if you know this, but in singing class they teach you how to sing from your stomach musclesand not from forcing it out of your throat..

Its basically like...tightening your stomach like..I dunno, like when how you puke lol..or when you prepare for a punch or something, how it tightens up, its sorta like that.
It helps to maintain longer notes and keep your voice from dying out, because there is no stress on your vocal chords...

another thing that will be your best friend is to go out and buy some
" THROAT COAT " tea...I know MANY death/black/grind singers who swear by this simple invention, and even if your throat doesn't hurt after a session, its still good because it heals over anything that might have been damaged with a coating, its awesome.

A vomit-type substance is formed from its innards
A festering slime that revels inside

The substance erupts and its stomach bursts open
Forced down your throat to regurgitate life

Old 2005-01-28, 17:10
GNR
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Thought
Gravel had a good point, singing classes would help some. I sang all my life and when I started singing for death metal I was able to keep up with them without my voice dying out, and when they asked id i'd been screaming for a while I said no, and they told me about how every other perosn they'd auditioned had burned out after about 1 hour.

One thing that REALLY helps, I dont know if you know this, but in singing class they teach you how to sing from your stomach musclesand not from forcing it out of your throat..

Its basically like...tightening your stomach like..I dunno, like when how you puke lol..or when you prepare for a punch or something, how it tightens up, its sorta like that.
It helps to maintain longer notes and keep your voice from dying out, because there is no stress on your vocal chords...

another thing that will be your best friend is to go out and buy some
" THROAT COAT " tea...I know MANY death/black/grind singers who swear by this simple invention, and even if your throat doesn't hurt after a session, its still good because it heals over anything that might have been damaged with a coating, its awesome.

Okay. Where do you find this flippin tea?

Old 2005-01-28, 18:14
Transient
HES BAAACK

yeah, that sounds like a great idea

Old 2005-04-02, 01:24
Meesh
Senior Metalhead

Just brew up a pot of earl grey, she'll be swoit!.

Old 2005-04-02, 06:49
darkexodite
New Blood

Did you just start sining or did you have this problem before?

When I started I had some problems, but now after singing for more than a year I have great vocal endurance (I also took some classes, they do help).

The only thing I can say is that it'll come with experience, and the more classes you take the more you'll find out and learn. So yea, experience+classes will help you, so don't lose faith yet.

Old 2005-04-05, 15:26
GravelFistFM
New Blood

ya know sometimes when u rape ur voice after a long set...u sound like special ed from crank yankers..yaaaaaaaaay...*re-gains composure* use some extra strength halls...friggin soothing man...i pop those like candy...try it and tell me if it works for you...

Old 2005-04-05, 15:31
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

ahh...i don't think he's coming back

Old 2005-04-18, 01:01
GravelFistFM
New Blood

***ya know sometimes when u rape ur voice after a long set...u sound like special ed from crank yankers..yaaaaaaaaay...*re-gains composure* use some extra strength halls...friggin soothing man...i pop those like candy...try it and tell me if it works for you...***

Old 2005-04-18, 06:34
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

***ahh...i don't think he's coming back! ***

Old 2005-04-18, 13:10
GravelFistFM
New Blood

try practicing holding your breth and then releasing...do that a few times. what this does is makes your lungs hold more air, therefore longer sustains, and better vocal training for endurance