MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Vocal Zone

Old 2004-11-02, 00:15
harvester of sorrow
Metalhead

Vocal Settings/Effects for death metal vocals...

I was wondering if anybody knows some good ways to set settings on a p.a. to improve the sound of death metal type vocals(i.e. Echo High, Lows up, etc...) because I have no idea. I also was wondering if anybody knows what kind of effects are used to increase the sound quality(mainly distortion, such as what As I Lay Dying uses). Basically, Im goin for a Children of Bodom/In Flames kind of sound. Anything will help me out, thanks.

Old 2004-11-02, 00:18
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

1. wait till you grow some balls
2. once youve grown balls, practise makes perfect.

for a modern black metal sound, fit your vocals with reverb FX (eg. dissection).

Old 2004-11-02, 03:44
powersofterror
I am a tax on the world..
Forum Leader

That doesn't make much sense, because Alexi doesn't use any effects. All he does is smoke and spit, which is not the best thing in the world.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page
http://www.myspace.com/ferocitydentontx

Old 2004-11-03, 00:43
harvester of sorrow
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersofterror
That doesn't make much sense, because Alexi doesn't use any effects. All he does is smoke and spit, which is not the best thing in the world.

What? Have you ever heard him live? When he talks you can tell the difference a lot. I've seen some shows where you can't but others I've seen you can plainly hear the distortion on top of his real voice. But either way, like As I Lay Dying and other bands will work as well.

Old 2004-11-03, 02:33
powersofterror
Forum Leader

I saw him a few months ago.....he didn't talk at all, he screamed out the names of songs like a black metal singer before each song.
Man, I get real sweaty after I wack my dong. Yeah, cause I headbang while I do, and I can't really "Jump" (haha ) like VanHalen in a dorm room, so I just walk back and forth....haha a couple days ago I was jumping up and down on my bed, with my pants down and my roommate came in when I wasn't looking, hahaha.

This is my band's page

Old 2004-11-04, 00:20
harvester of sorrow
Metalhead

Oh, lol. He talked alot at mine. Plus I have a bunch of his videos because he's one of my favorites. I'm pretty sure he uses effects. I think most bands with those type vocals do, if not all of them. But maybe I'm just stupid. lol.

Old 2004-11-04, 07:21
Exodus666
Supreme Metalhead

Live, a bit of delay+reverb is used sometimes. I also have this video of CoB live in Japan with an enormous delay on his voice but that might be partly the echo of the hall they're playing in.

Old 2004-11-04, 20:07
Transient
HES BAAACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvester of sorrow
Oh, lol. He talked alot at mine. Plus I have a bunch of his videos because he's one of my favorites. I'm pretty sure he uses effects. I think most bands with those type vocals do, if not all of them. But maybe I'm just stupid. lol.

if you mean effects as lip synching. i watched a few live vids, all of which he lip synched. im going to a bodom show next saturday, and you can be damn sure ill be watching his lips

Old 2004-11-05, 01:25
powersofterror
Forum Leader

haha, that's sounds really gay.

This is my band's page

Old 2004-11-05, 10:56
Transient
HES BAAACK

yeah, i thought of that when i posted it

Old 2004-11-05, 18:23
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

Like andrewc said:

If you can't growl/scream after trying with what you were born with, then you shouldn't even be trying

Old 2004-11-05, 22:08
harvester of sorrow
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOSE
Like andrewc said:

If you can't growl/scream after trying with what you were born with, then you shouldn't even be trying

Damn it...I said to enhance the sound. Its the same as any other instrument. There are settings that improve the sound quality. I'm fine with my settings now but i'd like a little better sound. And as for the distortion effects, Im just curious what they use because most do.

Old 2004-11-11, 23:28
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

I'm fine with a little delay/reverb action. but anyone who uses an effect like distortion on their vocal is a big stinky puss. I don't give a fuck who it is, that is just pussy.

Old 2004-11-12, 10:51
Transient
HES BAAACK

hey! we agree, for once!

actually, unless frank mullen hit those vocals on effigy naturally, we still disagree. because they are awesome

Old 2004-11-23, 20:15
darkexodite
New Blood

Quote:
Originally Posted by harvester of sorrow

I agree on this one, he uses like two compressors (cause one is usualy for the whole band... usualy, I'm not an expert), he uses a lot of reverb, well who wouldn't hehe, and yea he uses vocal distortion for a fact, it's very detectable, especialy lately with the newer stuff.

Anyhow, delay/reverb should be just fine, you just need something laying over your growls, unless you like that gurgly vocal sound, i don't.

Old 2004-11-24, 03:56
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

didnt this get closed?

Old 2004-11-24, 06:50
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

Tran, i told you on aim, i can do effigy vox easy. I dont think theres a box there, on despise the sun he goes that low.

Old 2004-11-24, 19:03
MoonRaven
Lo, they do call to me...

you dont need effects, a growls a growl, if you cant do it naturally, effects will only make it fake, so dont even try, i cant do corpsegrinder type stuff, though id love to, mine sound more like mikael from opeth, distortion effects on vocals suck, they sound like shit most of the time, the only thing i would see myself using on vox is a little bit of reverb, and a little EQ tweaking, but thats all you need

Old 2004-11-24, 19:12
MetalThrashingMad
Death to all but metal!
Forum Leader

andrewc is right, simply grow some damn balls. Cup the mic with your hands, otherwise if you cant produce a good growl, go try some Cradle of Filth or something.

Old 2004-11-24, 23:46
Transient
HES BAAACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innards-Decay
Tran, i told you on aim, i can do effigy vox easy. I dont think theres a box there, on despise the sun he goes that low.

lol ive talked to you on AIM? i dont keep my buddy list and my forum names straight. i know a kid in school that can do the demilich vocals as a joke, so its believeable

Old 2004-11-25, 00:08
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

UnholySavior6543 right here Tran. I cant do demilich yet, but ive been trying to acheive that amount of death metal vocal mastery.