Bush 15 31.91%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2004-11-04, 21:41
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalPoldi
Explain!

Both candidates beat eachother to death with sticks. The one surviving will be in office.
Offcoarse it has flaws. If they both died, it would be national anarchy for the canadians.
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2004-11-04, 21:46
Trendkill_420
Post-whore

damn, that way works better.

When i get my island you can be govenor. (you're no terminator though)
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Old 2004-11-04, 21:49
MetalPoldi
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast
Both candidates beat eachother to death with sticks. The one surviving will be in office.
Offcoarse it has flaws. If they both died, it would be national anarchy for the canadians.

I had nearly the same thought.
You put sticks (pencils or rusty spoons are better!) into the candidate you don't want to vote.
And the one who survives get the job.

Old 2004-11-04, 22:10
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

We are all fucking DOOMED..Last term Iraq...this term will be North Korea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe_blunts
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2004-11-04, 22:51
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
We are all fucking DOOMED..Last term Iraq...this term will be North Korea!

Pfft, YOU are fucked!? I feel bad for Soul. The bastard runs the risk of getting deployed...

I really hope they bring our troops home soon. I'm tired of hearing day after day that more and more are dying for a lie.

Awesome.

Old 2004-11-04, 22:54
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

OHHHHHHHH CAAANNNNNNNNNNNNADA..OUR HOME AND NATIVE LAND....haha, naw were in the clear right now, except if America is going to go down were going to be right with it.

Quote:
you done told me lots of thangs bout beer n shit and canada. have a grand ol cunt of a good time.

RIP moe.

Old 2004-11-04, 23:16
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

I don't see why they feel the need to drag you down with us... No offense, but its not like we need you or anything.

Don't take that the wrong way, but you guys aren't very strong militarily. Otherwise, Canada is alot better than this hellhole.

Awesome.

Old 2004-11-04, 23:37
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Strong military?? Hmmm....maybe it's because the population of the whole country is the same as California....And besides Canada isn't about trying to constantly prove itself as the best country in existence...Our military is involved with PEACEKEEPING throughout the world...eat a dick.

Quote:

RIP moe.

Old 2004-11-04, 23:46
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

meh, so are you back dissection? whats the story, whyd you leave?

Old 2004-11-05, 00:15
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassBehemoth
Strong military?? Hmmm....maybe it's because the population of the whole country is the same as California....And besides Canada isn't about trying to constantly prove itself as the best country in existence...Our military is involved with PEACEKEEPING throughout the world...eat a dick.

I fucking know that, ASS. Your country is superior in a few ways, and also inferior in a few areas. Doesn't fucking matter, now does it?

Awesome.

Old 2004-11-05, 00:21
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

If I get deployed then someone somewhere in the world is going to get a ass kicking. They don't just deploy nuclear powered ships or me for no reason. When an aircraft carrier is just off your coast then you know it's serious.

Old 2004-11-05, 00:22
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Awww come on now, lets all have a big hug, and stop this fury.

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2004-11-05, 00:24
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

God damn weak-in-the-knees-brit.

I'm kidding. I'd rather live in England. And Soul, if they deploy your ass, you know something is going to get fucked up. Then we know things have become serious. I hope that nuclear weapons are never used again, but I think we both know there will be a time and a place.

Awesome.

Old 2004-11-05, 00:43
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Until all nuclear weapons are destroyed there will always be a chance of the world changing in micro seconds. They are obsolete anyway now that weapons today have better accuracy. No need for them now.

Old 2004-11-05, 00:50
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Well, it is still the thought that another Hiroshima could happen any second. Even with our defenses, it might be possible something could happen. I fear that day... I really do.

That and the day they bring back the draft. That'll suck.

Awesome.

Old 2004-11-05, 00:53
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Whats a Hiroshima?

Quote:

Old 2004-11-05, 00:55
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

(jesus christ...)

When we dropped the Atom Bomb on Hiroshima in WWII, thus ending the war.

Awesome.

Old 2004-11-05, 00:58
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Quote:
Originally Posted by tatter3d
Whats a Hiroshima?

That's the first city that a nuclear weapon was used on. Not much left after that.

Old 2004-11-05, 01:12
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Ah yeah that japanese place right?..

Quote:

Old 2004-11-05, 01:25
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Yup. That one and Nogisickie ( way off on the spelling ). The Japan Empire said they would never surrender but after those 2 cities where destroyed within 3 days they changed their minds. No one had ever seen anything so destructive before. The bombs worked almost to well because no expected the radioactive fallout to as dangerous as it is.

Old 2004-11-05, 01:28
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Sounds pretty brutal, spose they sort of asked for it though.

Quote:

Old 2004-11-05, 01:48
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Well you know, war is war. If they made it first they would have used it on the US, I think. I don't like nuclear weapons because they have a very negative toll on civilian life's and the environment as well. It's are just too much bomb to unleash on the world. Nuclear weapons are just for complete destruction of land and inhalation of life. I don't see any use for them. Smart weapons work better anyway.

Old 2004-11-05, 02:18
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by cxmachine
2. i hate muslims as much as i hate liberals, if not more. they're fanatic bullshit needs to go, and if that means removing a religion or section of the world from existence i'm all for it

8. oh gays piss me off too, they never did before i went to a liberal arts school with "gay pride day" and "rainbow alliance day" fuck them they wanna fucking throw it in my face then i'll vote against gay marriage just to spite them

if i were an admin, you would be banned. if i were god. you would be slain in a very horific fashion. if i were a gay muslim, i would come to your house and stab you in the eye

Old 2004-11-05, 02:32
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

you cant be gay muslim... its against the koran.

Old 2004-11-05, 07:49
Cloaca
C-Un(i)t
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1331
if i were an admin, you would be banned. if i were god. you would be slain in a very horific fashion. if i were a gay muslim, i would come to your house and stab you in the eye

Fool. Yes, his views are a bit too right wing for most of you, but he's allowed to say what he wants. Banning someone because of their opinions is bullshit, unless their opinion is that some song on 'Midian' is the heaviest song ever.

btw, I don't agree with him on the gay shit.

Old 2004-11-05, 10:32
far_beyond_sane
You gamma-minus fucktards
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon
not really trying to defend him but you try getting up in front of that many people and not fuck up

Easy.

Quote:
war hero?! he was in vietnam for 3-4 months some of my grandfathers freinds were there for four fucking years

They should have got shot more. Didn't Kerry get out on three Purple Hearts?

I made the mistake of reading all this thread. John M owned you all, because he is better than you.

Next week I am un-enrolling to vote. I am sick and fucking tired of your experiment in democracy and I want out. Also, I officially refuse to argue about politics and invite you cordially to go fuck yourself.

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."

Old 2004-11-05, 10:43
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Def
bring on the rant John.

Here goes...

The college system in America is very similar to the system that is in use in Great Britain. We vote for politicians in local constituancies and the victors take their seat in the House Of Commons. Whichever party has the most seats gains control of the country so, as with America, it is possible for a party to gain power without receiving the most votes. Now, it seems wrong that this should be the case but I'll illustrate in the form of a simplified example as to why this is the best available method.

Consider a country of 100'000 people that consists of 5 constituancies (C1-C5) of 20'000 each. Each constituancy has one seat in government that is fought over by two parties, for arguments sake let these parties be Labour and Conservative. It comes to election time and the parties receive the following votes distribution:

C1: Labour - 11'000, Conservative - 9'000
C2: Labour - 11'000, Conservative - 9'000
C3: Labour - 11'000, Conservative - 9'000
C4: Labour - 11'000, Conservative - 9'000
C5: Labour - 1'000, Conservative - 19'000

If we apply the system in operation at present, Labour will have four seats and the conservatives one so Labour will gain power of the country with a majority of three seats.

Conversely, if we apply the popular vote, the conservatives will win by 10'000 votes and gain power. However, Labour will still hold a majority of 3 seats and could veto any proposals put forward by the Conservatives.

In order for the Conservatives to gain meaningful power, the constituancies would have to be split up into smaller divisions and more seats be allocated to each constituancy in accordance to the distribution of votes. This is called Proportional Representation and, to my knowledge, has not been adopted by a leading nation as of yet.

Using our above example, each constituancy could be split into 20 seats with a seat being gained by each party for every thousand votes that they receive. If this were applied to the voting distribution detailed above, Labour would have 45 seats and the Conservatives 55 so the Conservatives would gain power with a majority of 10.

This seems fairer, but there are drawbacks. How far do we have to break up the constituancies in order to get a fiar reflection of the vote? It's hardly an exact science but, in the wrong hands, this tinkering could be employed as a means to engineer an election result.

Dissection: Clinton would never have been president if the popular vote was the determining factor.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Last edited by johnmansley : 2004-11-05 at 10:58. Reason: Reply to Dissection

Old 2004-11-05, 12:21
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Woah! - Thats a lot of information to take in 30 seconds..

Quote:

Old 2004-11-05, 18:24
Trendkill_420
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dissection
No offense, but its not like we need you or anything.

I disagree.

"Trade and Investment
The United States and Canada have the world's largest bilateral trading relationship. In 2003, total merchandise trade between the two countries was $394 billion, translating into over $1 billion in goods crossing the border every day. The two-way trade that crosses the Ambassador Bridge between Michigan and Ontario equals all U.S. exports to Japan. Canada's importance to the United States is not just a border-state phenomenon: Canada is the leading export market for 39 of the 50 U.S. States.
The comprehensive U.S.-Canada Free Trade Agreement (FTA), which went into effect in 1989, was superseded by the North American Free Trade Agreement among the United States, Canada and Mexico (NAFTA) in 1994. NAFTA, which embraces the 406 million people of the three North American countries, expanded upon FTA commitments to move toward reducing trade barriers and establishing agreed upon trade rules. It has also resolved long-standing bilateral irritants and liberalized rules in several areas, including agriculture, services, energy, financial services, investment, and government procurement. Since the implementation of NAFTA in 1994, total two-way merchandise trade between the United States and Canada has grown by 125%. When services are added, the growth has been 142%.

Canada is an urban services-dependent economy with a large manufacturing base. Since Canada is the largest export market for 39 of the 50 States, the U.S.-Canada border is extremely important to the well-being and livelihood of millions of Americans.
...The U.S. and Canada enjoy the largest energy trade relationship in the world, with Canada being the single largest foreign supplier of energy to the United States – 17% of U.S. oil imports and 18% of U.S. natural gas demand. Recognition of the commercial viability of Canada’s oil sands has raised Canada’s proven reserves to 180 billion barrels, making it the world’s second-largest holder of reserves after Saudi Arabia. The electricity grids of the United States and Canada are linked and both countries share hydropower facilities on the Western borders. Quebec is a major source of electricity for New England.
...Canada is the third-largest foreign investor in the United States. At the end of 2002, the stock of Canadian direct investment in the United States was estimated at $92 billion. Canadian investment in the United States, including investments from Canadian holding companies in the Netherlands, was $128.5 billion. Canadian investment in the United States is concentrated in manufacturing, wholesale trade, real estate, petroleum, finance, and insurance and other services.
"

http://www.state.gov/r/pa/ei/bgn/2089.htm
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Last edited by Trendkill_420 : 2004-11-05 at 18:31.

Old 2004-11-05, 19:06
Credit to Dementia
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
No offense, but its not like we need you or anything.

Canada is our #1 source of oil. It's also a good place to go for underage drinking.

To add to what John said, but reflecting what makes America specifically America (keeping in mind that my hangover is not allow my brain to function at maximum output, and I haven't studied the government for a few years):

The electoral college is a system based on a similar, though not identical, system to the one John outlined. The number of electors each state has is determined by the number of congressmen representing the state (i.e. one elector for every representative and senator the state has). Every state has two senators and a number of representatives determined by its population due to a compromise between the two original plans for the Constitution, which are, as I recall, the Virginia and New Jersey plans. As should be noted, a state can have no fewer than three electoral votes. When you go to the voting booth and vote for a candidate, you're actually voting for an elector pledged - but not actually bound - to voting for that candidate. Electors are chosen by different means depending on the state, but are generally selected by the party that has the majority of the popular votes. Most states allow the party that won the popular vote to choose its electors, in a winner-take-all move, though I recall there being a few that allow the choice of electors to be proportionally representative. Electors meet in the state capital well after the popular election and cast their votes for president. Theoretically they are free to vote for whomever they please, but generally, as they are chosen by the political party, they vote along the line. Because of this system, in theory, only 23% of the popular vote is necessary to become president, if it happens to be spread out in the most advantageous way imaginable.

I'll try and clean that up later when I can think straight if there are any problems.

Old 2004-11-05, 19:41
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

I meant we don't need them for the MILITARY, you ass.

Awesome.

Old 2004-11-05, 19:43
Credit to Dementia
Supreme Metalhead

Military is not the only thing to take into consideration, and it's not hermetically sealed from other spheres.

Old 2004-11-05, 20:20
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

what spheres? Spheres of madness?

Old 2004-11-05, 20:22
Credit to Dementia
Supreme Metalhead

Other aspects of foreign policy.

Old 2004-11-05, 20:53
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

ok

Old 2004-11-06, 12:37
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innards-Decay
what spheres? Spheres of madness?

Decapitated

Quote:

Old 2004-11-06, 18:43
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

Damn right, glad someone caught that.

Old 2004-11-06, 23:45
BassBehemoth
Die Young.

Quote:
I meant we don't need them for the MILITARY, you ass.

Who are you calling an ass??

Get some better insults.

Quote:

RIP moe.

Old 2004-11-07, 00:21
Trendkill_420
Post-whore

hey watch what you're saying.
We've got the strongest...uh...peace keepers in the world.
And our subs .....uh.....have holes in them......(damn u brits! )
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Old 2004-11-07, 01:43
Transient
HES BAAACK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innards-Decay
Damn right, glad someone caught that.

i saw it too \m/

Old 2004-11-07, 02:00
Innards-Decay
Post-whore

yeah, METAL!

Old 2004-11-14, 11:48
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

elections are over so this thread gets it.

nice to see the metaltabs population has some sense.

thanks for not fucking this thread up and keeping it real.

It'll be back in four years.

closed.