MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2004-10-18, 14:46
Amon rA
Senior Metalhead

legato stuff

i can do this bloody fast, three note per string, which is fine for triplets,
but when i try and play 16ths (still threenoteperstring) , i end up having to slow it down quite
considerably. and if i try to just do it, i end up playing triplets and it messes
with my head.

does any body have any quick fixes, or similar experience?
"The complexity of the penguins' lifestyle testifies to a Divine Creator," said one commentator on Christian Answers. "To think that natural selection or even the penguins themselves could come up with the idea to migrate miles and miles multiple times each year without their partner or their offspring is a bit insulting to my intellect. How great is our God!"

Old 2004-10-19, 00:15
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Just practice practice practice...

Old 2004-10-19, 06:50
AnubisXy
Senior Metalhead

Assuming common time I always count triplets as trip-eh-let in the space of one beat, for 4 16ths try counting 1-a-b-c, or something else that you feel comfortable using.

Old 2004-10-19, 12:28
Amon rA
Senior Metalhead

its to fast to count (not bragging) but i figured out the problem,
chaging strings takes longer between notes than hammering on. its not noticable in triplets cause it just emphasises.
solution: slow it down and get it right before speeding up again
or: learn four note hammering
"The complexity of the penguins' lifestyle testifies to a Divine Creator," said one commentator on Christian Answers. "To think that natural selection or even the penguins themselves could come up with the idea to migrate miles and miles multiple times each year without their partner or their offspring is a bit insulting to my intellect. How great is our God!"

Old 2004-10-19, 13:43
AnubisXy
Senior Metalhead

It's not too fast to count, maybe too fast to say, but never too fast to think. Besides, as you said, when you slow it down to get the timing right the timing becomes easier to count. Glad you got it worked out.

Also, you mentioned three notes per string, have you tried 4?

Last edited by AnubisXy : 2004-10-19 at 14:02.

Old 2004-10-19, 21:22
x2xAtreyux2x
Senior Metalhead

I just realized what you said after looking at it again. It's all about dynamics and playing with a metronome. Making sure that with 16ths you get the enunciated note on a click and a downstroke (assuming it is down up down up). Therefore being Click+(Enunciate)1 2 3 4 Click+(Enunciate)1 2 3 4. With triplets, I count sixs since I don't like to enunciate my upstrokes much. So my counting would be Click+(Enunciate)1 2 3 Click+4 5 6 for triplets. You can use 1 2 3 1 2 3 if you wish, I just don't do that due to personal preference. If you are doing legato, then pick strokes should simply be on the count (pending on the song) and the rest is in your head. Tap your foot with the beat if you don't already. I usually pick stuff before I attempt doing it legato. I wouldn't think you would be trying to do just left hand work when changing strings, especially not if you are having problems. You said you fixed your problem, this is all just icing on the cake.

Last edited by x2xAtreyux2x : 2004-10-19 at 21:26.

Old 2004-10-20, 02:32
TheDreadfulHoroscope
Supreme Metalhead

The only thing that's faster than light is thought, so think it as the guy said.

practice or you don't survive in the world of guitar

Old 2004-10-20, 11:17
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreadfulHoroscope
The only thing that's faster than light is thought

No. Neuron impulses travel quickly, but nowhere near the speed of light. I think I read that the fastest electrical impulse within the human body travels at 180 miles per hour. This pales into comparison with the speed at which light propagates, 186'000 miles per second.

Your second statement is true though.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2004-10-20, 17:22
Amon rA
Senior Metalhead

ok maybee its faster than i can keep the speed up and thinking about it.
i will try to post an example. might take a while though.
been trying four note per string and its all messed up
practise? im no stranger to that.

watch this space for a demo of my pointless problem...

Old 2004-10-20, 19:54
Amon rA
Senior Metalhead

ok here it is.
its a zipped up wav file.

i play
e:--------------------------9-11-12-14-
e:-----------------9-11-12------------- x3
B:---------8-9-11----------------------
G:-8-9-11-------------------------------

1st time is slow
2nd time is as fast as i can count in fours
3rd time is as fast as i can count in threes

if i try and play it faster in fours i cant help but count in threes

lame excuses for my playing:
i am using a strat borrowed from a collegue
i have never recorded on pc before.
i am not warmed up
i am squashed behind my desk in a cold office in wiltshire, england
i dont care, i know i am a guitar god
Attached Files
File Type: zip thing.zip (156.4 KB, 180 views)

Old 2004-10-21, 00:38
TheDreadfulHoroscope
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
No. Neuron impulses travel quickly, but nowhere near the speed of light. I think I read that the fastest electrical impulse within the human body travels at 180 miles per hour. This pales into comparison with the speed at which light propagates, 186'000 miles per second.

Your second statement is true though.

Interesting, I just heard this from some scientific theory, maybe he doesn't mean bodily neoron impulses, but mental images or something. I don't know for sure, but I don't think he was talking about the speed of brain electricity.

Old 2004-10-21, 19:26
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Information can travel faster than light however the rate by which we can dissimilate the information is limited by the speed of light. There's a famous thought experiment involving two very far removed electrons that possess a spin value that is dependent on the spin of the other. As one electron's spin is measured, the other takes the exact opposite value instantaneously.

Unfortunately, the communication between the two scientists who measure the spin is restricted by the speed of light - one scientist cannot discern the others measurments without sending a message to him/her. Hence, information cannot, effectively, travel faster than light.

I think that's what you may have read or heard about.

Also, mental images are triggered by the very same electrical impulses that govern every other action or thought in the human body.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn