MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Gear & Recording

Old 2004-10-08, 22:41
NuclearVoid
New Blood

Immortal sound

Does anyone of you know what guitar-equipment Immortal is using? I think i saw at some concertpictures a marshall amp (jcm 800 ?!) and rackstuff. I'm interested especially in the sound from the album "At the heart of Winter" and "Sons of northern Darkness". Especially listen to the song "Tyrants" for the 'attack' in their sound i mean. Anyone knows if they use rack stuff? what preamp, amp, effect stuff are they using?

Old 2004-10-09, 01:58
Overmind
Senior Metalhead

Abbath uses a Jackson RR live. It looks great, it's black with white bevels and matches his war paint. That's all I know.

I got a sound similar to At The Heart of Winter on my GNX3, and I have it saved as a custom hybrid amp. But I can't remember what amps I used for it. Sorry.

I too would like to find a sound similar to Sons of Northern Darkness.

Old 2005-07-21, 03:32
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmind
Abbath uses a Jackson RR live. It looks great, it's black with white bevels and matches his war paint. That's all I know.

I got a sound similar to At The Heart of Winter on my GNX3, and I have it saved as a custom hybrid amp. But I can't remember what amps I used for it. Sorry.

I too would like to find a sound similar to Sons of Northern Darkness.

Well I'm going to revive this thread, as I'm also interested in Immortal's sound.

Yes, I've seen Abbath with his RR in a really kick-ass bootleg video I have. But no idea what RR that is. I'm mainly interested in the pickups he uses, could those be Duncans he's using? I think so... maybe someone should have a listen to the clean guitars in their last 2 or 3 albums and see if they sound like them or not...

Last edited by Soeru : 2005-07-21 at 03:41.

Old 2005-07-21, 03:44
Transient
HES BAAACK

i dont know. the clean tone sounds like clean EMGs to me. really clean and harsh...with chorus and reverb

Old 2005-07-21, 03:48
LordofStorms
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
i dont know. the clean tone sounds like clean EMGs to me. really clean and harsh...with chorus and reverb

I would say EMGs also,I've gotta get some of those.I love that crisp tone Immortal has.

Old 2005-07-21, 05:01
Soeru
Post-whore

Wow, I guess I don't know shit about guitar tone after all, I'm completely blinded by their amplification/fx. Lol, I could've sworn they had always used passives, guess not. Now I'm sure of what pickups I'm replacing my shitty stock ones with. I'm sure as fuck getting an 81, but in the future I'll be getting either an 85, 89, or 60. Probably an 89, cuz it'll be a bit exotic compared to 85(especially with that single coil tap thing).

Now... on to amplification. Any ideas? I *think* they were using a Marshall head in that bootleg video I mentioned, I think I'm going to watch it again soon so I'll let you fellas know.

I'm so happy to see that more people here are interested in Immortal.

Old 2005-07-21, 05:08
Overmind
Senior Metalhead

They do sound like EMG's. Especially the palm-muting, which resembles Thunderstone somewhat, only with more bass-heavy EQing.

However, I don't think they are EMG's. After looking at some images, I can tell you there's a dual-blade single-coil sized neck pickup, and a regular-looking (pole piece) single-sized middle pickup.

As for the bridge...
http://immortal.battlegrim.net/phot...=graspop2002-01
http://immortal.battlegrim.net/phot...open_air2002-09

Make of it what you will.

You could probably get the same sound if you just used EMG's anyway.

Old 2005-07-21, 05:37
Soeru
Post-whore

The bridge PU does look flat like the EMG... but hell, so do my shitty Jackson CVR2 stock pickups.

Wow, someone actually reccomending EMG's.

Old 2005-07-21, 09:51
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

You are getting EMG's because Immortal uses them? Granted, I love their tone from the last three albums, but..
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2005-07-21, 14:11
Transient
HES BAAACK

dont forget, there are some who take the dust guard off the EMGs , so it looks like a passive. thats really not appreciated, when youre trying to rip off somebodys tone

Old 2005-07-21, 14:57
Soeru
Post-whore

I'm not trying to rip off their tone, I'd just like to have the possibility of getting something like it. I'm getting the EMG's because so many bands that I like use them, and their sounds are very different, so they're more versatile than I thought they'd be. I don't mind the "glassy compressed" tone they have, I'm very pleased with the sound that 25 bands that I like can get from them.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Last edited by Soeru : 2005-07-21 at 15:15.

Old 2005-07-21, 15:21
Transient
HES BAAACK

i wasnt saccusing you of rippong off tone or even saying that taking somoenes tone is a bad thing. becuase youll never get their tone anyways...just something else..similar

Old 2005-07-21, 15:30
Soeru
Post-whore

Oh I see. Well of course I won't get their exact tone unless I had all the same gear that Abbath does. I'm also nowhere near as talented in writing material as they are, but hopefully I'll be up there someday.

(Did you know In Flames had a 2005 album called "Come Clarity"? How prophetic. I think they're trying to tell us all their sperm are dead.)

Old 2005-07-21, 21:58
HalfmastTrousers
Supreme Metalhead

You wont even get the same tone Abbath does if he walked up to you and gave you all his stuff. Tone can oddly enough come from the player, too. Depending on how hard/light you fret, pick, even hold the damn guitar, it's all insane amounts of variables that you'll never exactly NAIL it.

Old 2005-07-24, 22:31
gorgorsan
New Blood

Abbath used Peavey 5150II amp.

Old 2005-08-11, 06:16
Soeru
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
dont forget, there are some who take the dust guard off the EMGs , so it looks like a passive. thats really not appreciated, when youre trying to rip off somebodys tone

Actually I've read at the EMG site that doing this damages the the pickup permenantly.

I've finally figured out what's in the neck position. It's a Seymour Duncan Cool Rails single coil pickup. The other PU in the middle is most likely a SD single coil as well. The neck PU must be what gives those awesomely grim and cold cleans in their last couple of albums. I might seriously consider matching this up with an X2N.

Last edited by Soeru : 2005-08-11 at 06:18.

Old 2005-08-11, 09:31
Exodus666
Supreme Metalhead

I can get a pretty Immortal-alike tone using a high-output passive pick-up (I have a Tonezone in one guitar and an Invader in my other), a MT-2 pedal and the clean channel of my modded H&K Warp-T.

Yes, laugh at the pedal, but the sound on my amp is pretty fucking great for blackmetal.

Old 2005-09-21, 12:02
Somnus
Metalhead

There it was. The final destiny. A sunrise that never came, still the lamp never faded away. Farewell was the word, and the afterglow was the brave morning. Rising and telling everyone, about the beauty of its Prologue.

Old 2005-09-21, 16:53
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones

you can tell from that blurry picture?
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.

I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!

Old 2005-09-21, 19:24
Soeru
Post-whore

Look for other pictures, it's clearly an EMG-81. The white-colored neck single coil is a SD Cool Rails, the other is probably a SD as well.

Old 2005-09-21, 20:29
Exodus666
Supreme Metalhead

Really? I thought, with that crunchy, dirty ATHOW distortion, that would've been a passive for sure.

Old 2005-09-21, 21:38
Soeru
Post-whore

Well he might only use that RR for stage-playing. But the riffs sound very trebly and middy, and somewhat "compressed" but it may be hard to tell if it's an active circuit due to the 2 other PU's in the guitar, that might be the source of the natural, noisy "passive" tone. Btw, Immortal's pinch harmonics are awesome, aren't they?

Old 2005-10-01, 15:28
Somnus
Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainsforbreakfast
you can tell from that blurry picture?

Yes, i can see it is a pickup that is not covered. Though i cant see any letters on it, so its probably not a SD.
There it was. The final destiny. A sunrise that never came, still the lamp never faded away. Farewell was the word, and the afterglow was the brave morning. Rising and telling everyone, about the beauty of its Prologue.

Old 2005-10-04, 18:48
Unanything
Post-whore

Who's heard Grim And Frostbitten Kingdoms? How do you get THAT sound?

www.garageband.com/tranxnart
www.myspace.com/tranxnart
www.youtube.com/user/Tranxhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdanny
Also, check out Autopsy, the vocalist sounds like hes about to eat your grandmother while fucking you in the eye. Brutal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadude
I coated the end of a toothpick with Satan's blood and simply wiped it across the top of an omelet. PERFECT!

Old 2006-02-19, 23:24
Somnus
Metalhead

I'm sorry to revive this thread for the third or fourth time but Abbath's sound really is intriguing(sp?)

http://immortal.battlegrim.net/img/..._seattle_03.jpg

So the bridge pickup is clearly not an EMG, i can't see if there are any letters on it, but it might be a high output SD like the Full Shred or something?