MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > MetalTabs.com > Feedback

Old 2004-10-02, 02:32
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

An Idea.

Ok to possibly cut down on the amount of new thread of which the topic has already been discussed I have an idea.
Before someone makes a new thread there should be a pop up that says "have you used the search function? If you are making a new thread about something that has already been discussed, then it will be deleted and you will be made fun of for being an ignorant noob."
Or something along those lines.
Or maybe adding "Are you sure you are making this thread in the right forum?" in with it.
I get tired of seeing the same threads over and over.
And after a person has posted a certain number of times, (enough to not be considered a noob) it wont pop up with this message.

Just an idea.

Old 2004-10-02, 02:33
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

I second this if its possible.

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-10-02, 03:19
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

the pop up idea sounds nice and easy, but i think it would have to be for all members, no matter how many posts, for the sake of ease

Old 2004-10-02, 03:58
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Well, maybe. but after a certain point, they know where to post something and where not to post something and to search. Well most will.

Old 2004-10-02, 04:00
Chokehold
Senior Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1331
the pop up idea sounds nice and easy, but i think it would have to be for all members, no matter how many posts, for the sake of ease

Your opinion doesnt count because you suck.
CC always has the best ideas

Old 2004-10-02, 04:25
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackdimmu
Your opinion doesnt count because you suck.
CC always has the best ideas

Yeah, I know I do. I love myself!

Old 2004-10-02, 09:08
Severed_Head_Stoner
Gangster Rapper

Good idea CC. I can't think of anything to add to it.

blackdimmu you act like a fucking tool. "People who rule"...
- Jason Becker

Old 2004-10-02, 09:13
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

This idea sucks because I don't want fucking pop-ups pissing me off every time I feel like starting a new topic. I don't really start new topics very often, though, so maybe it could work. Whatever.

Old 2004-10-02, 10:09
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

i have a pop-up blocker, i NEVER have popups, and even when i did, i never looked at them
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2004-10-02, 11:51
nomad
round the world
Administrator

Yes, many people have popup blockers, and the new Windows XP SP2 has an integrated one turned on by default.

Putting the message along the lines? Believe me, people don't read along the lines. Look at the tab posting forum and the amount of shit tabs posted there.

Old 2004-10-02, 12:07
Transient
HES BAAACK

i dont like this idea.

Old 2004-10-02, 12:24
Severed_Head_Stoner
Gangster Rapper

Why not Transient?

Provide reasoning to back up your speculation.

- Jason Becker

Old 2004-10-02, 14:47
Transient
HES BAAACK

i dont want to hit OK everytime i make a thread, and i have a pop up blocker and i dont want to go through a bunch of rigamarole because you people are so royally offended by a newbie thread

Old 2004-10-02, 15:48
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Well, most of you are forgetting that this wouldn't really effect you because you've been here long enough that you know where you should make thread and if it has been discussed. This is mainly for the newer people here. Like every one below 100 posts gets this message.
And what I mean by pop up is that thing that pops up when I you have a new PM. Would that be blocked by a pop up blocker?

Old 2004-10-02, 15:50
Chokehold
Senior Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severed_Head_Stoner
Good idea CC. I can't think of anything to add to it.

blackdimmu you act like a fucking tool. "People who rule"...

No, these are juct the cool people. Sorry you didnt make the cut

Old 2004-10-02, 15:52
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Yeah, hes just jealous that he doesnt rule.

Old 2004-10-02, 16:06
Riggs
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNIBALCORPSE
Well, most of you are forgetting that this wouldn't really effect you because you've been here long enough that you know where you should make thread and if it has been discussed. This is mainly for the newer people here. Like every one below 100 posts gets this message.
And what I mean by pop up is that thing that pops up when I you have a new PM. Would that be blocked by a pop up blocker?

No those cannot be blocked at all, but still I say people who make threads that allready exist should just be temp banned. The pop-up isn't going to solve much. I mean the rules are in each forum, if they don't read the rules, that's their own fualt. Temp ban is my vote.

"Choices always were a problem for you.
What you need is someone strong to guide you.
Deaf and blind and dumb and born to follow,
what you need is someone strong to use you...
like me..." ~Maynard

Old 2004-10-02, 16:18
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Temp ban is pretty stupid. You cant just ban everyone who makes a thread which has been discussed. Even if its only temporary. And people really dont read the Stickies. So.. I vote for my thing.

Old 2004-10-02, 16:24
Riggs
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNIBALCORPSE
Temp ban is pretty stupid. You cant just ban everyone who makes a thread which has been discussed. Even if its only temporary. And people really dont read the Stickies. So.. I vote for my thing.

Exactly, people don't read the "stickies" but they should be, because they are there for a reason. If people aren't going to read those, why would they read the pop-up? I know when I get pop-ups I just exit out of them myself thinking they are some type of spyware, which most are. The ban doesn't have to be long, just like a day or so, so that the person understands that you guys don't want a bunch of the same threads being made over and over again.

like me..." ~Maynard

Old 2004-10-02, 16:26
guitar_demon
MotörCat

threads about the same thing arnt always bad, i can see where your coming from if you have like three "5150 head info" threads on the same page but if its like 5 or more pages back and someone makes it again then some new people have proabably joined and can now put there input into it
Ok. You're literate, intelligent and funny-FBS

"Calm down, Edgar back in your cage"-far beyond sane
"you suck the cat-avatar-guy doesnt"-The Doc
Now My Legacy Shall Live Forever!!

Old 2004-10-02, 17:11
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggs
Exactly, people don't read the "stickies" but they should be, because they are there for a reason. If people aren't going to read those, why would they read the pop-up? I know when I get pop-ups I just exit out of them myself thinking they are some type of spyware, which most are. The ban doesn't have to be long, just like a day or so, so that the person understands that you guys don't want a bunch of the same threads being made over and over again.

They would read the pop up because it would POP UP! They would have to see it.

Old 2004-10-02, 17:32
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

I think this subject is a double edged sword. Of course, if there is already a thread on the same page that was made only a couple of weeks ago, it is very annoying. However, even when the search function is used and an old thread revived, all we get from some folk is, "Why did you bring this old thread back from the dead you stupid faggot?" There needs to be some give and take, I feel.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2004-10-02, 18:34
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

i agree with the cat-avatar-guy

Old 2004-10-02, 19:16
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

John, no one ever complainns when an old thread is ressurected (atleast not in gear talk)

if Nomad can do this it would be great. And the temp ban idea is fuckign retarded... like the Mods need even mroe reason to abuse their powers, they should temp ban you just for thinking of such a stupid idea riggs

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-10-02, 20:10
Riggs
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS
John, no one ever complainns when an old thread is ressurected (atleast not in gear talk)

if Nomad can do this it would be great. And the temp ban idea is fuckign retarded... like the Mods need even mroe reason to abuse their powers, they should temp ban you just for thinking of such a stupid idea riggs

Looks like someone spoke too soon. I haven't seen a mod abuse their power, and you guys are all complaining about people bringing new threads up, well this would stop it. Just making some little lame pop-up reminds me of the U.S. and the way they treat the death penalty. A guy can kill 5 people and get 5 life sentances, and still get off with parol... if you're going to make some rule, enforce it. Otherwise nobody is going to follow it, and like I said before, just because it pops up doesn't mean everyone will read it. If nobody likes my idea why don't the mods just close down the stupid threads that keep coming up like 3 times in a row and if the same person keeps doing it, THEN temp ban them or something.

EDIT: And if Nomad doesn't want to put up with shutting them all down or doesn't have the time he can find someone he trusts to help him out with that or something. I just don't see the pop-up enforcing anything.

like me..." ~Maynard

Last edited by Riggs : 2004-10-02 at 20:13.

Old 2004-10-02, 20:42
atifman
Forum Leader
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
"Why did you bring this old thread back from the dead you stupid faggot?" There needs to be some give and take, I feel.

no this only happens in Chit Chat where they bring back really retarded threads

Old 2004-10-02, 21:57
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

I've seen it happen in the Bands forum before, although it doesn't seem to happen in the gear forum as you said.

Old 2004-10-03, 16:05
Father Death
Forum Reverend
Forum Leader

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitar_demon
threads about the same thing arnt always bad, i can see where your coming from if you have like three "5150 head info" threads on the same page but if its like 5 or more pages back and someone makes it again then some new people have proabably joined and can now put there input into it

agreed. sure we get the same threads, but that is natural w/more and more members joining up because we are all metalheads that have simular tastes. i'm sure there will be another Opeth thread in the next 2 months, and if that pisses anyone off just don't click on it...not too hard.

Old 2004-10-03, 23:44
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Father Death
agreed. sure we get the same threads, but that is natural w/more and more members joining up because we are all metalheads that have simular tastes. i'm sure there will be another Opeth thread in the next 2 months, and if that pisses anyone off just don't click on it...not too hard.

agreed in full

Old 2004-10-10, 22:01
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

This is what I'm talking about:

http://metaltabs.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2415

The guy did the right thing and searched for a thread about Meshuggah's Nothing and he gets his arse bitten off for doing so.

Nothing personal against you, Dissection, it's just that you have the ignomy of being the first chap to do it since I made my earlier statement on the matter.

Old 2004-10-10, 22:05
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

i agree partially, however, he had nothing new to add to the thread and he had no question related to the thread. he brought it back for no reason at all just to add a comment.

Old 2004-10-10, 22:19
fatdanny
Post-whore

I agree. You cant ressurect a thread to say that, it really is a waste of time

Old 2004-10-11, 06:46
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

its confusing. n00bs get told to search for old threads instead of making new ones. they do this and then get mightily flamed for resurrecting a thread, such was in guitar zone, that video that was posted about n00bs. (although it was undeniably funny.)

Old 2004-10-11, 06:55
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

he got flamed for POINTLESSLY bringing back an old thread, if you foind an old Opeth thread to post about their new album thats fine, if you bring back an old thread to say "i agree" then its a waste of everyone's time.
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2004-10-11, 09:18
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Sorry, I take my previous post back as the idiot only resurrected the thread to, in his own words, "See what we would do." That's the first and last time that I stick up for that cuntish lowbrow. Extending my original comment on the matter, I think that if the post is reasoned, then a newbie (or regular member for that matter) should not be flamed for resurrecting an old thread.

Old 2004-10-11, 11:13
Nihilist
Dog farts
Alumni Staff

Just to explain myself here: I closed that thread solely because he said "I wanted to see what you guys would do". Would have been fine by me, if not for that. I only close them and add a few derogatory comments when the thread has been resurrected for no particular reason, except to get a rise out of people. Otherwise, I don't see a problem with it!

Old 2004-10-11, 11:18
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Yeah, I agree with your actions, Jarrod. I was sticking up for the bastard until he made that comment and as a result the thread deserved to be closed once he made it.

Old 2004-10-11, 11:20
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

what a stupid idea

Old 2004-10-11, 12:59
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

Some may have noticed that Ive been away a while. And if you didn't - I've been away a while. So I'm a little late on all my posts, and I feel my opinion really matters to you guys so i posted anyway.

Reading the very first post in this thread brought pretty much every con of the situation which have been raised by John and Chris and Transient. It just wouldn't work. This has been said, but if someone dosnt read the sticky's thats their fault. I mean, I can't go and kill a guy and say "Oh sorry, iI never read the book of Law" or whatever that fucken thing is. Def put it best, if not a little harsh ^^^.

Old 2004-10-12, 08:27
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
Yeah, I agree with your actions, Jarrod. I was sticking up for the bastard until he made that comment and as a result the thread deserved to be closed once he made it.

alright, if its for a legitimate reason a n00b shouldnt be flamed. but yes, he did deserve every bit of flaming for the messugah thread.

btw, welcome back mr. sadistik infinitysekution.

Old 2004-10-12, 17:57
Disincarnate
But why is the rum gone ?

wondering if this can be done-----> that users can posta "new thread" until they have like certain no. of posts made by them...say 69 or 75 or smthing

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely

Quote:
Guitarists are just people who could Never make it as a Bassist

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2004-10-12, 17:59
Disincarnate
But why is the rum gone ?

ok..sorry bout this..i kno this doesnt belong here......but cant the avatar size be increased 80 X 80 pixels

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely

Quote:
Guitarists are just people who could Never make it as a Bassist

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2004-10-12, 18:59
Nihilist
Dog farts
Alumni Staff

No. Only mods are entitled to that.