MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Guitar Zone

Old 2004-09-21, 02:12
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Wanting To Get Started

I want to get started playing electric guitar, but I don't know where to start. I tried acoustic but it just didn't kick enough ass for me. What is a decent, relatively cheap guitar? I won't be getting anything at this very moment until I can get a job so I can get money. Can you guys show me some good heavy metal guitars and amps/tweeters/whatever I need? I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks

Old 2004-09-21, 03:13
Overmind
Senior Metalhead

How much are you willing to save up and spend?

I bought a Jackson JX10 (metallic blue) for AUD$560 (rrp $699). I tried various other guitars, but I prefered the clarity and crunch of this guitar (it has three Duncan designed mini humbuckers). The others in the same price range sounded a bit more muddy.

I've seen this guitar for about $270, from memory, on American sites. Sometimes cheaper.

You'll want a guitar with humbucks. You should google 'guide to buying guitar' or something, and you'll learn the basics there.

I also got a Behringer Vintager GM110 30 watt amp, and it's a piece of shit. It cost me $220 and the RRP is around $300. Don't get that.

I heard the Roland Cube 30 is a good little amp? I remember some people posting here about it.

Old 2004-09-21, 10:42
LostAtLakeBodom
New Blood

Get a guitar by some decent brand. Ibanez, old Charvel, Jackson or whatever's available locally ...not some unknown POS brand you can buy a car parts warehouse. Same with the amps. Spare some time and effort, and get an amp with a decent brand. The unknown's are unknown for a reason.

Get something that you think looks cool. It's hard to keep motivated when your instrument looks like it was made for Hootie and the Blowfish. With a fine looking instrument it's easier to get in the right mood and practise all day and night.

Old 2004-09-21, 12:40
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

i second lakebodom.

cool looking stuff, pick up yourself a bronze or platinum series bc rich. maybe getting one second hand would be slightly better cos cheaper.
or if your cheaper than that, jackson or ibanez make good lead guitars.

cheap amps, a 30 watt would do good. marshall, randall and peavey are the leading brands.

aaaaaand for the pedals, as a last resort, grab yourself a digitech metal master and()/or a boss metal zone. but pedalwise, choose carefully, and if your gonna play all black/death thats all youll need to start off, but youll probably need an effects board depending on how big your horizons are.

as i stated before, choose carefully or youll be like my mates neighbour who ended up having to sell his gear to pay his chiropractor.

Old 2004-09-21, 17:55
Mordor
Post-whore

Do Not get yourself a bc rich especially if their in the bronze or platinium series, very crappy!!!!. Instead get ureself a good beginners guitar like a Aria Mac 50 or somet. Then just get a cheap 20 watt peavey practive amp, and maybe a distortion pedal. Then just go from there

Sold my shit, now its time to PARTY!!!!!

Old 2004-09-21, 18:20
SuNioj0369
Supreme Metalhead

As uncool as it sounds, you should also start by taking a few lessons...I've been playing a few years now and I kind of regret not starting lessons earlier.

Old 2004-09-21, 18:25
Slabbefusk
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

Yeh i think your better of staying away from bc rich if your a beginner, go with jackson, ibanez or something.

Old 2004-09-21, 20:20
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Does it really make a difference if I get a 6 or 7 string? What are humbucks for? At the Ibanez website, they list a ton of guitars, which should I choose? I think I remember seeing people post saying the K7 was good? What about tuning? Can somebody also explain what the differences in tuning are?

Old 2004-09-21, 20:37
SuNioj0369
Supreme Metalhead

It's best to start off with a 6 string. A 7 string has one extra, lower string and it may make things a tad more complicated when you start. HumbuckERs are pickups which were created to eliminate the buzzing found in single coils (hence the name, it "bucks" the hum). The humbucker also looks like a two single coils stuck right next to each other and are generally more accepted in metal and have a "beefier" tone. As far as choosing an Ibanez goes, I would look at guitars with in your price range and ask around on what Ibanez's are best for a beginner. It also helps to ask around at guitar stores and talk to people who know their shit...you can try Guitar Center but I find people at smaller independent stores are friendlier and don't mind stiking up a conversation. You probably don't have to worry about tuning at the momemt. Standard tuning (EADGBe) is the most common tuning but tuning down gives the strings more slack and gives you a lower tone as used in lots of metal. There are also drop-D tunings and alternate tunings that make voicing power chords simpler...(again you probably don't need to worry about this just starting out.) Hope this helps...

Old 2004-09-21, 20:40
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

One more question as of the moment (sorry if I'm being annoying ), what's a power chord?

Old 2004-09-21, 20:56
SuNioj0369
Supreme Metalhead

A power chord is a chord stripped of all its parts except the bare essentials:
E maj (02210) -> E5 (02xxxx)...I hope you know what the numbers mean, it's kinda hard to explain this to someone just starting...but don't get discouraged, you'll get it. Power chords are used ALOT in metal.
PS: the power chord is listed as E5 because the 2nd note (the '2') is a 5th and don't worry, it's not annoying.

Old 2004-09-21, 22:03
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Power chords will look like this. (if you can read tabs..)

e--------------------------
B--------------------------
G--------------------------
D--2----4----5-------------
A--2----4----5-------------
E--0----2----3-------------

Power chords constist of: the root (E sting), the 5th (A string), and the octave (D string).

I would suggest going to a music store and try out some guitars and amps. See what you like.

Old 2004-09-22, 00:29
Chokehold
Senior Metalhead
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNIBALCORPSE
Power chords will look like this. (if you can read tabs..)

e--------------------------
B--------------------------
G--------------------------
D--2----4----5-------------
A--2----4----5-------------
E--0----2----3-------------

Power chords constist of: the root (E sting), the 5th (A string), and the octave (D string).

I would suggest going to a music store and try out some guitars and amps. See what you like.

If I'm not mistaken cant powerchords also use string 5a nd six. Also, regular chords are rarely used in metal. It all depends on what you play though.

Old 2004-09-22, 00:45
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

I can't read tabs yet, so that means nothing. Thanks anyway though .

Old 2004-09-22, 00:54
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Hmmm, Why would you come to MetalTabs .com if you didnt know how to read tabs?

Anyway. I'll try to show you how to read tabs.

The 6 lines represent the 6 strings of the guitar. The 6th string (Low E) is the thickest. The Numbers represent which frets are to be played. If there are notes on top of each other like shown below, then you should play them together. Otherwise, play them as single notes.

1 e|-------------------------------------
2 B|------------------------------------
3 G|--------------------3-----------------
4 D|--2--4--------------3----------------
5 A|--2--4--------------1----------------
6 E|--0--2--1-2-3-2-1-------------------

Hope that makes scence.

Old 2004-09-22, 01:22
Overmind
Senior Metalhead

The first thing you need to do is decide on how much you want to spend.

Then look around at the online retail sites to get a good idea of brands and models you're interested in. Just use google to find places online that sell guitars. For example, musicians friend.

You should go to your local music shop and see what they have there. Note down some of the ones they show you and if you like them or not, and then go back online and search for reviews at sites like guitar review and music gear review etc.

Also, if you have any friends who play guitar, ask them to go along with you and help you select a guitar.

Old 2004-09-22, 03:04
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Would http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...ase_pid/519658/ (Ibanez IJS40 Jumpstart Pack) be a good thing to buy? It's nice priced, has everything I would need, and got a lot of good reviews. I don't want to get ripped off like I did on my POS acoustic guitar.

Old 2004-09-22, 05:51
Overmind
Senior Metalhead

I would personally stay away from all the 'starter kits' or jumpstart kits, like that Ibanez one, and the Fender Squier, and the BC Rich Metal Master starter pack or whatever it's called. From what I've read, they're pretty shitty. If you've got the patience to save up, avoid them and go with something else. But if you do buy it, you won't be 'ripped off' because it does seem like good value for little money. The guitar that comes in that kit is the 3rd cheapest Ibanez guitar on the site, the Ibanez GRX40.

When you read reviews, try to ignore all the reviews that give all "10/10" or "0/10". Try to find reviews that give mixed scores, because they're more honest. I found this review on samedaymusic.com:

Quote:
Overall:
7 out of 10
Features:
8 out of 10
Quality:
9 out of 10
Value:
10 out of 10!
I Want It:
10 out of 10!
Sound:
5 out of 10

"i own it, i play it - very useful review"
Feature:
cool features. the tuner's very useful - but the video has such a poor quality that you can't watsch it without getting blind. get yourself a book or a teacher to learn how to play - but DO NOT use that video. lol apart from that, there's everything you need to get started.

Quality:
it's okay. the finish's quite good - as long as you don't have a closer look. there were also some sharp plastic edges which caused the e-string to break. if you get rid of that, the quality's alright - it's a guitar you can throw to the floor, almost unbreakable. best quality you can get for that price, i think.

Value:
okay, 10 points here, it isn't too expensive. but you've got to remember: THIS IS A STARTER PACK. it includes everything you need to get started - but if you're an advanced player, you might be a bit disappointed. i recomment it to young and wild starters.

Desirability:
yeah, i want that baby. i've got a black one - and it's so damn sexy. lol

Sound:
the sound isn't that great but maybe that's just the amp. the clean sound channel is okay - but you can't play any (power-)chord with distortion, they all sound the same, no matter what you do. and i ain't a bad player.

Support:
i haven't dealt with ibanez so far. so i can't rate that point.

Overall:
overall - i love it. simply because i love all my guitars. it's fun to play, although that beauty can be a bit complicated. i don't get the classic rock sound i want to have out of it - at least not with the features included in that package (how to get that sound out of that guitar + amp doesn't belong to that review ). when you want a guitar to have fun and make some noise, a guitar that won't complain when it's treated a bit rough - go get it. if you want a guitar that doesn't only look sexy but also sounds great: get some cool effects or a strat.

This review really turned me off the kit, because you'll be playing mostly power chords. You shouldn't make a decision based on the reviews, but you can use them as a guide. You should only make a definate decision when you go to a store and hear the guitars for yourself. And there's no guarantee that the guitars you find on the net will be available at your local music shops.

That Ibanez kit is $246. If you want a decent beginners guitar and amp, you'll probably be looking at paying at least $350 - $400 in total.

But if you're getting a decent sound out of your guitar and amp, you're more likely to continue playing and not give up. One of my friends bought an Ashton starter kit (the worst guitar and kit on the planet) and he's given up because it's so shitty.

Here's some equipment you may consider:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...ase_pid/519644/
$227

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...ase_pid/519643/
$242

The prices may differ in your local music store. These guitars seem reasonable beginner guitars to me.

Can anyone else give an opinion on these guitars?

These amps look interesting, although I can't give an opinion on them:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...se_pid/480022X/
$85

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7...ase_pid/480023/
$225

The amp is a huge part of your sound, it's just as important as your guitar, if not more so.

After a few weeks of playing, if you have any spare cash, you might also want to invest in buying a cheap multi FX processor, such as the Digitech RP50 or a Zoom pedal.

Old 2004-09-22, 08:42
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

i think coming to metaltabs is a great step, ive improved my guitar since ive been here, i believe.

everyone will disagree with me im sure, but i say get a guitar. any guitar. its a guitar. a cheapo one will do, i still have my first, its an essex. now, your saying "an eswhat?" - well thats my point. its just a guitar and until you get serious itll do.

Old 2004-09-22, 15:51
MoonRaven
Lo, they do call to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
i think coming to metaltabs is a great step, ive improved my guitar since ive been here, i believe.

everyone will disagree with me im sure, but i say get a guitar. any guitar. its a guitar. a cheapo one will do, i still have my first, its an essex. now, your saying "an eswhat?" - well thats my point. its just a guitar and until you get serious itll do.

i agree with this guy, get cheap guitar, even if its a bcrich bronze series warlock, it looks cool, plays alright, and sound decent enough to get you into playing, i would get the warlock starter kit if i were you, i had one, the amp is small, but you dont need to much amp in the beginning, and definitely get a dist. pedal, i would reccomend the digitech metalmaster, or the boss mt-2 metalzone, prolly the metalzone more, cus you can turn down the distortion a bit.

Old 2004-09-22, 17:57
guitariste
Senior Metalhead

Esp Ltd MH-50

I think taht esp ltd mh 50 is a guitar with everything you need to play for several years. Itīs such cheap (293 euros, I donīt know about $:s).
Theres 24 jumbo frets , two humbuckers and a floyd rose bridge. Itīs more
better than traditional vibration bridge and those humbuckers will give a heavy sound.

Old 2004-09-22, 19:33
Slabbefusk
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

the humbuckers suck, the floyd is licensed and sucks, bolt-on, puke, point.

but for beginners yes, its quite a nice guitar.

Old 2004-09-22, 22:34
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Who gives a shit if its bolt on. It doesnt make that HUGE of a difference.

Old 2004-09-23, 06:47
Overmind
Senior Metalhead

I heard the BC Rich guitars are very heavy. I'm assuming the thread starter is in his early teens? That makes the BC Rich even less suitable.

If you're gonna chose a starter kit, I guess that Ibanez one would be good. Probably better than the Squier and the BC Rich.

Just go to a music shop and get a friend, or the sales person, to play some different guitars and amps and chose the ones that sound best and are within your price range.

Old 2004-09-23, 18:36
LostAtLakeBodom
New Blood

Agree completely with Cannibal Corpse. To a beginner it really doesn't matter if he can't pull of diminished arpeggios from the 19th fret up because of the bolt-on neck joint. Somebody new to playing guitar wouldn't simply know the difference between neckthrough and a bolt-on, all he'd do was pay too much for a NT guitar. A beginner needs a good guitar, something that's fun to play and not a complete piece of junk. Advanced features are for the advanced player, who knows what he's paying for.

Old 2004-09-23, 23:36
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Yes, I'm 14, I'll probably ask for a guitar for Christmas, I just want to be ready before then so I know what I want.

Old 2004-09-23, 23:45
Overmind
Senior Metalhead

Do you have any friends or relatives who play the guitar?

Because if you do, you can get them to go along to the store and help you chose. Then you won't be ripped off.

Old 2004-09-23, 23:53
MoonRaven
Lo, they do call to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overmind
Do you have any friends or relatives who play the guitar?

Because if you do, you can get them to go along to the store and help you chose. Then you won't be ripped off.

^^^agreed

Old 2004-09-24, 01:23
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAtLakeBodom
Agree completely with Cannibal Corpse. To a beginner it really doesn't matter if he can't pull of diminished arpeggios from the 19th fret up because of the bolt-on neck joint. Somebody new to playing guitar wouldn't simply know the difference between neckthrough and a bolt-on, all he'd do was pay too much for a NT guitar. A beginner needs a good guitar, something that's fun to play and not a complete piece of junk. Advanced features are for the advanced player, who knows what he's paying for.

I actualy just meant Who gives a shit if its a bolt on in general. Just because its a bolt on doesnt mean its a bad guitar.

Old 2004-09-25, 01:07
4d5e6f
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNIBALCORPSE
Hmmm, Why would you come to MetalTabs .com if you didnt know how to read tabs?

I came here after Ozzfest 2004 in Camden, seeing if anybody else had been there and seen Rob Halford sing in Ozzy's place (I searched on google and found this site).

Also, I have decided that I want the Ibanez IJS40 Starter Pack, as it got a large amount of good reviews, all it needs is a bigger amp and one guy said he had a problem where things sounded scratchy like a cell phone, but all he needed was a new cable, and one guy had a problem with his 3rd string, but nobody else seemed to have any of those problems, so I suspect them to be a fault with their product, and a few people said the tuner was a POS.

Also, there was a nice, long review that I read

Quote:
Features: 8
Quality: 8
Value: 10
Overall: 9
Kaleb from Karlstad, MN
Experience: I own it
Background: Beginning Guitarist
Style of Music: Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Metal
Jul 19, 2003 - A while ago, I became interested in guitars and decided I wanted to play guitar myself. I researched the guitar, read reviews, and asked store retailers about various guitars, famous guitarists and the equipment they play, and what guitars sound and play well. I considered several guitar beginner value packages, including two Ibanez packs, two Squier packs, a Peavey guitar package, and yet another package from ESP. I had narrowed my selection down to two: (a) the Squier StratPak, and (b) the Ibanez JS40 Jumpstart package. I purchased the Ibanez package in early May. When I received my guitar (a very nice Metallic Red color), I was very pleased. The finish is nice, the two single-coil, one humbucking pickup configuration sounds good, the neck is smooth and feels good, the action is good, and the fret and nut work is very good for a value-priced guitar. But most importantly, the guitar is enjoyable to play. In the few months I've been playing, I have continued to practice many riffs and chords with my guitar, and have progressed very well. My only complaint is very minor; the strings that come with the guitar aren't great, so I replaced mine with Ernie Ball strings and they play well. This may be the best beginner package you can buy. The guitar that comes with this package is better than the guitar in the Squier packs; I've played them both. The amp that comes with the pack is awesome. It sounds good clean, and has roaring, excellent distortion. The other included items, such as the gig bag, tuner, cable, strap, video, picks, and booklet are all quality accesories. If you purchase this package, you will not be disappointed. It is a great value at a great price.

Last edited by 4d5e6f : 2004-09-25 at 01:12.

Old 2004-09-25, 02:04
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title

Really, the only bad thing you could do when buying your first guitar is buying an expensive guitar and not play it. So this guitar is a good choice really. Any guitar would be good.

Old 2004-10-02, 00:59
philkilla
Crusher of Skulls

I started playing guitar when I was 14 too.....and I fucking love it more today than I ever have. I would def. recommend getting an Ibanez guitar. They have good starter guitars as long as you don't get something less than $200. If you have to wait to get an amp because the guitar you want is more than say 3 or 4 hundred...you should. There is nothing worse I think than first starting to play guitar, falling in love with it, and than realizing you are stuck with a shitty guitar. Be smart about it.

My Trust is in WHISKEY and WEEDand SLAYER
Long live DIMEBAG
ROGspace Cunts. Book us

Quote:
Originally Posted by far_beyond_sane
You thought of mixing wheat flour with saturated fat, and putting it the resultant shit in a styrofoam cup. Shine on, you crazy dead yellow diamond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
May the best cunt win.