MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands

Old 2004-07-29, 06:17
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

admit it, you used to listen to nu-metal

alright everyone, i dont listen to nu metal (except Slipknot... i know you all hate them, but i like them). However, my first exposure to anything near metal was Korn, quickly followed by any other nu metal u could think of. soon, i got into the heavier side of nu metal (slipknot, older staind) then from there, i discovered real metal. i have since grown to dislike nu metal, but i have to admit that it brought me into metal! the softer, catchy shit got me hooked, and i evolved into heavier shit. and i can guarantee at least half of you are the same way. nu metal sucks and all, but it brings people into the realm of good music. so i respect it.

Old 2004-07-29, 06:26
MyOwnSavior
Registered Sex Offender

Get ready, you're about to recieve alot of hell from your fellow tabbers.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

“I'm as firm as red clay and as constant as... drinkin'. I'm constantly drinkin'.” - Early Cuyler

Old 2004-07-29, 06:29
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

oh i know.. im gonna die

Old 2004-07-29, 06:41
Severed_Head_Stoner
Gangster Rapper

I agree with andrew, i started off with Limp Bizkit, Linkin Park, then got into Slipknot, Korn, $Tallica, then within a week or so, i was listening to Opeth, Slayer, At The Gates, Brujeria, The Haunted. All thanks to a mate, so cheers collyer

EDIT: i now find nu-metal repulsive, but andrew did bring up a good point, that it's the gateway into real metal.
- Jason Becker

Old 2004-07-29, 07:04
Brutally_Hacked
Senior Metalhead

I used to listen to korn, as much as i dislike them now...

And i still listen to the murderdolls. they make me laugh. *nods*

Old 2004-07-29, 07:25
Dystopia
Post-whore

Before I listened to music at all (rap is not music), it was my birthday and I recieved a Korn cd (it wasn't even a good one, Untouchables). And I LOVED it! Later, I was sitting in my cousin's car and he put on a band that is now my fav. (Dystopia) and that was when I started listening to REAL metal. I slowly got out of my nu-metal phase and realized it was all bullshit. And now I am the person I am today.

And the funny thing is, the person who put on the Dystopia tape is the same person who gave me the Korn cd.

Old 2004-07-29, 07:40
Brutally_Hacked
Senior Metalhead

it was all part of the plan...

Old 2004-07-29, 07:45
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

i hardly ever liked nu metal.
i only ever truely enjoyed 2 nu metal cds (those were 2 years ago as well). that was "dark days" by coal chamber, and "toxicity" by system of a down.

i liked limp bizkit at one point in the fifth grade, but i didnt actually think they were metal and i still dont. i thought they were just rock. also i only liked one or 2 songs from them as well.......

Old 2004-07-29, 07:56
Nihilist
Dog farts
Alumni Staff

Nope, never went through that phase. Sorry.

Old 2004-07-29, 08:06
Brutally_Hacked
Senior Metalhead

yeah i knew the murderdolls and shit werent metal, but that didnt stop me from listening to it. The korn phase didnt last long. a month or so. didnt own any of their shit anyway, as i have mentioned somewhere else on this site, i've never bought a cd. and i never downloaded more than 3 korn songs.

Old 2004-07-29, 08:20
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilist

hey, i never said it happened to everyone. there are some who were raised on metal and live and breath metal. the rest of us had to find our own way to the promised land

Old 2004-07-29, 09:13
Disincarnate
But why is the rum gone ?

nope......never listened to nu metal..went from rock straight to thrash

Nothing is a waste of time if you use the experience wisely

Quote:
Guitarists are just people who could Never make it as a Bassist

www.riversofgore.com

Join The Forum CUNT

Old 2004-07-29, 09:35
Brutally_Hacked
Senior Metalhead

"there are some who were raised on metal and live and breath metal"

hehe, my little brother is 6 years old and he listens to akercocke, black sabbath, led zep, cannibal corpse, dark tranquility, mithotyn, alice cooper... the list goes on.

SIX YEARS OLD!!! im raising him quite nicely

Old 2004-07-29, 09:45
Poof Daddy
Senior Metalhead

i sadly listened to limp bizkit and slipknot before hearing pantera and finding forums about real metal which made me listen to all the bands they were talking about and realizing how much better they were than numetal

Old 2004-07-29, 10:07
cxmachine
Senior Metalhead

eh the nu metal i listened or listen to is few and far between, i went pretty much from classic rock like zep, deep purple, tull, and sabbath, to grunge (it was big in my formative years), then into normal metal like old metallica, maiden, type o negative, hammerfall, and it just went from there, the only stuff that I personally consider nu metal that i ever really like or still like was um, coal chamber and vision of disorder, i listened to disturbed a bit, but never owned anything by them, and if you wanna call white zombie (not rob) nu metal thats about the extent i went in that direction
Originally Posted by Righteous_Death
Black Sabbath are so good, so I wouldnt say anything to disrespect them.
Cunt face.

Rest in Peace Dime, thank you for changing my world on vulgar display of power, thank you for being my next step after sabbath, and thank you for inspiring me to pick up that guitar and learn some heavy fucking metal \m/ your memory will live on forever

Old 2004-07-29, 10:36
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutally_Hacked
"there are some who were raised on metal and live and breath metal"

hehe, my little brother is 6 years old and he listens to akercocke, black sabbath, led zep, cannibal corpse, dark tranquility, mithotyn, alice cooper... the list goes on.

SIX YEARS OLD!!! im raising him quite nicely

my mates sister is 3 years old and she listens to burzum, mayhem, mithotyn, sigh, ancient rites and darkthrone. the guys an absolute black metal nut. she wont be very warped wen shes older

Old 2004-07-29, 10:53
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

i used to listen to Judas Priest religiously when i was 8 (i would get the CD myself and play it ), then i went to metalica, so sorry, i wasn't reared on nu-metal
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2004-07-29, 10:57
far_beyond_sane
You gamma-minus fucktards
Forum Leader

I never knew what nu-metal was until I started moderating the old Pantera forum. My first real CD was Vulgar Display of Power, a looooooooong time ago.

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."

Old 2004-07-29, 11:40
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

my first contact with metal cam with Cowboys from Hell

Old 2004-07-29, 13:20
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyOwnSavior
Get ready, you're about to recieve alot of hell from your fellow tabbers.

He isn't a tabber. Death8699 is a tabber. Inverted is a tabber. But back to the topic, I grazed nu-metal on my way to real metal (I would listen to it on the radio), but I didn't own any nu-metal albums other than Metallica's Load. That's it. I never liked it enough to buy an album. Any part of it that I ever liked disappeared when I started playing guitar and realized how talentless it was.

Old 2004-07-29, 13:27
BeastOfCarrion
Pokémon Master

am i a tabber
(x.x) (> <)
Somebody has decapitated an innocent rabbit, can Abbath solve this crime before more innocent bunnies are hurt?

Old 2004-07-29, 14:30
AbbathGS
Senior Metalhead

I was 10 years old when my cousin showed me his Napalm Desath - Scum album. I loved it! It was so energetic and fast. I then got into Slayer, Metallica, Megadeth, etc... That turned into Decide and Cannibal Corpse and then I got into better stuff around the age of 14 or so.

Old 2004-07-29, 14:42
Nihilist
Dog farts
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew1331
hey, i never said it happened to everyone. there are some who were raised on metal and live and breath metal. the rest of us had to find our own way to the promised land

I guess you're right. I don't pride myself at all on not going through the phase, it is just something that never appealed to me. My mother has listened to metal ever since I can remember. So, to a certain extent, I was raised on it. I was listening to Metallica, Slayer and all that crap at an early age.

Old 2004-07-29, 14:50
Transient
HES BAAACK

i did. i bought two cds, rob zombie and limp bizkit. then my older brother got me into metallica....so what. a few months of rap metal its well worth learning to like the good stuff

Old 2004-07-29, 15:15
Slabbefusk
FUCKING HOFF-STYLE!!!!!!!

I never knew what nu-metal was but i was into Slipknot, Linkin Park and Korn, then came the real metal bands like Slayer, Pantera, Cannibal Corpse, COB etc....

Old 2004-07-29, 15:29
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

rob zombie is good

Old 2004-07-29, 17:25
josh_smith09
Metalhead
Banned

i started with metallica and the only nu metal i ever liked was static-x and spineshank.

Old 2004-07-29, 18:06
SpiritCrusher
Senior Metalhead

The closest I got to nu-metal was Rage Against The Machine, and I still have respect for what they were. I started liking metal more with bands like Metallica, Black Sabbath, then Iron Maiden, (Kiss), and Judas Priest, then Death, Carcass, etc.

Old 2004-07-29, 18:34
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

I don't really remember what age I got into music, around 4th grade. It started with Led Zep, Van Halen, and a boat load of butt rock. Then in 6th grade I heard Angel of Death, so then I got a Slayer cd, I never really liked Metallica, just hate James's voice. Then in 9th grade I got shown Morbid Angel and it was over now it's nothing but death metal. Closest I got to NU-metal was probably Marilyn Manson, and a brief stint of Mudvayne, but I mean their bassist is sick.

Old 2004-07-29, 18:35
bloodredthrone
Senior Metalhead
Banned

It was korn, then slipknot, then slayer (still slayer), to blood red throne and children of bodom, and everything i listen to know...it's an evolution process, of trying to find the hardest bands...now I've hit that border where metal becomes not musical anymore and I think I'm going to stay here forever.

Old 2004-07-29, 19:56
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nihilist

Me too, First music i got into was Sabbath, Maiden, Priest, and Pantera.

Then i heard what MTV was calling "METAL" and i got really pissed

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-07-29, 20:01
Trendkill_420
Post-whore

When i was real young i just listened to what my parents listened to:
hendrix , joplin, beatles, doors, etc.
Then when i was about 8-10, i started listening to shit my brother listened to like, motley crue, metallica, mega deth, and tunes like that.
around 13-15 i continued with mega deth, metallica etc. and got into nirvana and slayer. 16 - pantera, morbid angel, heavier stuff. (anti-everything else). 17-18 doors, zepplin, beatles, hendrix etc. nu-metal, and opening to mostly everything. 19-21- Almost everything.
That's my musical timeline.
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Old 2004-07-29, 20:39
Def
Master Killer
Alumni Staff

^kinda the same story, my parents listened to a lot of rock, deep purple, hendrix, doors, led zep, but also softer shit like creedence clear water revival and such.

as a kid, I was about 13 when I started to get into music, like rock oriented, but I kinda started off with rage against the machine, pearl jam and that kinda stuff, then I started getting into hardcore like Born From Pain, Backfire, Congress and the likes, also started listening metalcore and some At The Gates kinda stuff (pretty related to each other anyways..) then I got more into death (Death/Obituary/Suffocation) andolder trash like Anthrax and shit, the last two years have been more death/trash/metalcore for me allround...

but actually I listen to allmost everything, from BB King to Jamiroquai, it just depends on my mood, I listen to metal about 75% of the time, when I'm at home with friends I either put on some loud shit, some rock or even some shilly blues or trippy drum 'n bass, it really depends on my mood.

I don't think I've ever liked any nu-metal band except for Deftones, but some of their stuff could be classed as progressive too.

Old 2004-07-29, 21:18
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
hehe, my little brother is 6 years old and he listens to... mithotyn, dark tranquillity

if i had another, id give that statement three thumbs up.

As for me, the first tape i ever bought was black sabbath's paranoid/heaven and hell split. The first cd i bought was And justice for all. But its true. Even after that i bought a few nu metal things. Like static-x, tool, deftones. I dont hate the bands i used to like, but i just dont listen to most of them. I dont hate tool or deftones now, i just dont like them much. I still listen to fear factory like i used to, and a few others i liked years ago.

Old 2004-07-29, 21:20
MyOwnSavior
Registered Sex Offender

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisRezendes
He isn't a tabber. Death8699 is a tabber. Inverted is a tabber.

Whatever, this is metaltabs, to me everone is a tabber. Anyways, I started listening to Cannibal Corpse, Morbid Angel, Slayer, Megadeth, and Deicide when I was 8 years old. Before that it was (and still is) Led Zepplin, Rush, Pink Floyd, and The Doors.
"Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able, and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him God?" - Epicurus

“I'm as firm as red clay and as constant as... drinkin'. I'm constantly drinkin'.” - Early Cuyler

Old 2004-07-29, 21:20
Transient
HES BAAACK

wow, mithotyn! that kid's hardcore

Old 2004-07-30, 00:57
Anubis
Supreme Metalhead

I used to be an avid wrestling fan. I started on Metallica thanks to ECW. Also got me into Pantera. From then on, I just got deeper into metal, especially thrash.Sorry, never got the point of nu-metal.
And then sing it with a passion
Painted faces in a circus
Images they brings to mind
When I read my Penny Dreadful
Filled with pictures of your kind

Old 2004-07-30, 01:09
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
alright everyone, i dont listen to nu metal (except Slipknot... i know you all hate them, but i like them). However, my first exposure to anything near metal was Korn, quickly followed by any other nu metal u could think of. soon, i got into the heavier side of nu metal (slipknot, older staind) then from there, i discovered real metal. i have since grown to dislike nu metal, but i have to admit that it brought me into metal! the softer, catchy shit got me hooked, and i evolved into heavier shit. and i can guarantee at least half of you are the same way. nu metal sucks and all, but it brings people into the realm of good music. so i respect it.

I didn't read that, but I'll be honest: Shit bands like Korn and Slipknot are what really got me into what I listen to. My friend got a Death/Black metal CD from someone his mom works with's son. And then I evolved from that, to what I listen to now.

I also admit to enjoying the s/ted Slipknot, as well as their newest release, but because of their image, I won't wear their shirts, or be associated with them in any way. i've said my piece.

Awesome.

Old 2004-07-30, 01:14
Dissection
bugfucker strikes back.

Quote:
hehe, my little brother is 6 years old and he listens to... mithotyn, dark tranquillity

When I first met Eric (RussianRoulette here on Metaltabs) back in 01-02, he and I started talking at the mall and what not. One night, his little brother was with him, in a Dimmu Borgir shirt. I said, and I quote: "What, do you dress your little brother?" Great moment. hehe.

Ok now, I am done with this thread

Awesome.

Old 2004-07-30, 04:44
Rapture
The Stings of Conscience

Quote:
He isn't a tabber. Death8699 is a tabber. Inverted is a tabber.

dont be such a bitch dude, and by the way i do tab songs out, but im not exactly great on guitar so my stuff is all kinda wrong, so i dont submit it cuz theres dudes like johnmansley givin us kickass tabs, so we dont need my shit. i only do it cuz i figure it will help my playing. so yea bitch, i am a tabber

Old 2004-07-30, 04:58
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient
wow, mithotyn! that kid's hardcore

exactly what i was getting at!! but yeah, that is actually pretty impressive. about 2% of the people i meet online have ever heard mithotyn.

Old 2004-07-30, 05:39
ShredIsNotDead
Post-whore

I was a hardcore P.O.D and Linkin Park fan \m/

I still don't mind mushroomhead

Old 2004-07-30, 06:29
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

I liked Linkin Park and Limp DickZit and (DON'T STAB ME!) Papa Roach, but nu metal was not my door to other metal. In fact, it was my door to post hardcore, which was my door to hardcore, and then I fell for a metalhead who got me into metal.
Linkin Park are still bearable (ie I don't scream "turn it off turn it off" every time I hear them). I'd listen to Murderdolls any day, they're so funny and cheesy. Evanescence with their crappy goth nu metal can eat shit. I have no problem with nu metal in general, I have a problem with shitty nu metal.

Old 2004-07-30, 13:44
Bones98
Post-whore

I still listen to some nu metal, but I have been into METAL since I was 7, but there's few nu metal thats actually decent, some old Static X is good and some of System OF A Down from their first album, SOAD have funny ass songs, and thats why I basically listen to them. But I rarely listen to them now, once in a while I would if I get bored of my brutal death and grind cds.

Old 2004-07-30, 13:49
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

I listen to what I like. Some nu-metal songs are OK (usually the more quirkier efforts), but most are just pathetic and derivative drivel. I was but a wee nipper when Grunge first hit the scene so I was a fan of all that stuff. Then it was mostly thrash and metalcore for me before death metal won me over.

Andrew1331: Thanks, man! It's always nice to get a compliment!

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2004-07-30, 23:35
Ten Ton Alien
Post-whore

started with 80's power/heavy (Iron Maiden, Manowar, Judas Priest...), onto thrash and then death.

never into the nu-metal thing, sorry.

Old 2004-07-31, 00:45
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Proud to say I never did. I started with Rage Against the Machine and then a friend showed me Decapitated.
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2004-07-31, 01:28
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Nu-metal will get it right one day if it can stay around long enough, ( never Lickin Pump though ), but for now most of it is just nu-pop. There are some moments in nu-metal music that have real protential, but they lose it as fast as they get to it and you have to listen for it a long time before you hear it.

Old 2004-07-31, 01:43
metal=life
Post-whore

I started off with G-Unit my main G 50 CENT...then went to Cephalic Carnage.

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

"One day we all will die, a cliched fact of life."
Pantera - I'm Broken

Old 2004-07-31, 01:44
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

I'd call some nu metal like Linkin Park pop metal, because it is. It's light, often not very brutal or offencive. It's just an attempt to make metal mainstream, but as a by product it created a type of sound. If someone could retain that sound and improve upon it instead of just dragging on the terrible image that Korn created ("my daddy touched my bumhole, pity me pity me pity me I can't make good music pity me!"), then yeah, one day, it might become very good. Actually, right now I'm listening to a very so so nu metal song I've got off a compo CD - Ill Nino, How Can I Live. It's watered down nu metal Sepultura, but it's still listenable to an extent.

Old 2004-07-31, 01:47
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned

i started off with issues from korn, then limp bizkit, linkin park, soad, static x, sepultura,
then a giant leap straight to marduk, the berzerker, hate eternal, krisiun anal cunt and finally theheaviest band in the worl, sadistik exekution.

Did any of you guys know the EARACHE signed ADEMA?

Old 2004-07-31, 02:13
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Yes That was so like for sure OMG last weeK news!

Old 2004-07-31, 02:14
metal=life
Post-whore

Yes and I dont care.

------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

"One day we all will die, a cliched fact of life."
Pantera - I'm Broken

Old 2004-07-31, 02:55
AbbathGS
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
I started off with G-Unit my main G 50 CENT...then went to Cephalic Carnage.

Natural progression.

Old 2004-07-31, 03:20
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
dont be such a bitch dude, and by the way i do tab songs out, but im not exactly great on guitar so my stuff is all kinda wrong, so i dont submit it cuz theres dudes like johnmansley givin us kickass tabs, so we dont need my shit. i only do it cuz i figure it will help my playing. so yea bitch, i am a tabber

Actually, that was not meant to be rude or a slam on you. That was in response to somebody having refered to you as a tabber, which is something I consider you not to be.

Next time you should consider actually looking at things the way they are instead of lashing out like an immature 13 year old. Oh, wait...

Before you start to talk about how mature you are, which you will invariably do, let me kindly remind you that you are not.

1. You came here and started a thread introducing yourself. While that is not a big transgression in and of itself, most people don't feel the need to draw attention to themselves unless they are either A. egomaniacs or B. immature 13 year olds.

2. Since you've been here you've actually gone out of your way to attack people that were saying nothing to you, in posts that had nothing to do with you. The stupid e-gang thread is a good example.

3. You, a non-tabber, were insulted when somebody (myself) pointed out to somebody else (not even you) that you were, in fact, a non-tabber. Considering that this statement was only in response to somebody who had referred to you as a tabber, there is quite obviously no insult intended. You proved your immaturity by taking your wounded pride and calling said person (myself) a "bitch" several times, all the while using non-words like, and I quote, "cuz", and "yea", all the while steadfastly refusing to use punctuation anywhere near an acceptable level.

If you wish to respond to me personally, do it in a PM, because there's no more reason for you to poison threads as you have been doing since you got here. If you expect anybody here to take you seriously, grow up. Gross immaturity is not something I (or most other people here) take kindly to.

Last edited by ChrisRezendes : 2004-07-31 at 03:23.

Old 2004-07-31, 03:36
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd

Oww shit! Whipishhhhh!

Old 2004-07-31, 04:33
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Actually, that was not meant to be rude or a slam on you. That was in response to somebody having refered to you as a tabber, which is something I consider you not to be.

Next time you should consider actually looking at things the way they are instead of lashing out like an immature 13 year old. Oh, wait...

Before you start to talk about how mature you are, which you will invariably do, let me kindly remind you that you are not.

1. You came here and started a thread introducing yourself. While that is not a big transgression in and of itself, most people don't feel the need to draw attention to themselves unless they are either A. egomaniacs or B. immature 13 year olds.

2. Since you've been here you've actually gone out of your way to attack people that were saying nothing to you, in posts that had nothing to do with you. The stupid e-gang thread is a good example.

3. You, a non-tabber, were insulted when somebody (myself) pointed out to somebody else (not even you) that you were, in fact, a non-tabber. Considering that this statement was only in response to somebody who had referred to you as a tabber, there is quite obviously no insult intended. You proved your immaturity by taking your wounded pride and calling said person (myself) a "bitch" several times, all the while using non-words like, and I quote, "cuz", and "yea", all the while steadfastly refusing to use punctuation anywhere near an acceptable level.

If you wish to respond to me personally, do it in a PM, because there's no more reason for you to poison threads as you have been doing since you got here. If you expect anybody here to take you seriously, grow up. Gross immaturity is not something I (or most other people here) take kindly to.

ahh...yes, what he said

Old 2004-08-01, 17:58
P§ÝÇHŐ
Senior Metalhead

Listened to it, still listen to it, don't really give a fuck what people think of that, hate the term "nu-metal" with a passion, but hate the fact retards can't accept it's a form of metal more.

Old 2004-08-01, 18:38
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by P§ÝÇHŐ
Listened to it, still listen to it, don't really give a fuck what people think of that, hate the term "nu-metal" with a passion, but hate the fact retards can't accept it's a form of metal more.

Nu-metal is just as metal now as hair metal was in the 80's. If Winger and Skid Row were as hardcore as Slayer and Megadeth, than sure, I guess Coal Chamber and Mudvayne are as hardcore as Nile and Misery Index. Fuck that shit.

Old 2004-08-02, 02:02
Trendkill_420
Post-whore

still metal though.

I agree with you pyscho.
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Old 2004-08-02, 02:08
rapeandruin
Post-whore

I'll admit I USE to listen to nu-metal. I've matured and learned that their is a shitload better music out there. But when you are 12-13 what can you espect? Unless you have some older figure in your life showing you the true metal out there you will most likely be shown a wretched creation which is nu-metal.

Old 2004-08-05, 04:26
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian

Quote:
Originally Posted by P§ÝÇHŐ

I think its a form of metal. But its a form i neither enjoy nor respect. It just seems like some guys heard a good band and said "what can we do to make the public like this". so they slow everything down and lighten it up so that the so called rockers would love and support it.

Old 2004-08-05, 04:42
Dystopia
Post-whore

I honestly don't consider it metal. Other then distortion and occasional screams, nu-metal and metal don't have anything in common except the name (that I am aware of).

Old 2004-08-06, 04:37
memnoch
The Devil
Alumni Staff

The closest thing to nu-metal i've ever liked was Silverchair when i was about 14 years old. A year later, i was into Slayer......and year after that, Cannibal Corpse.....so whatever nu-metal.
Justice the founder of my fabric moved
To rear me was the task of power divine
Supremest wisdom, and primeval love
Before me things create were none, save things
Eternal, and eternal I endure
All hope abandon, ye who enter here

Against the concert of the Immortals he cannot stand alone.

Old 2004-08-06, 06:11
Stuff is Great
Senior Metalhead

Metallica then Sepultura then Morbid Angel then heaven.

Fuck Nu Metal.

Old 2004-08-06, 12:04
Trendkill_420
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtv_is_gay
I honestly don't consider it metal. Other then distortion and occasional screams, nu-metal and metal don't have anything in common except the name (that I am aware of).

What would you classify it as?
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Old 2004-08-06, 12:25
andrewc
Post-whore
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trendkill_420
What would you classify it as?

i would classify it is as pop. they have the same goal as pop idols, make millions of dollars and maybe make a bunch of loser kids feel good while they are at it. the second one is just a bonus though, MONEY COMES FIRST.

except they actually play instruments so korn style bands can have the term "pop music" whereas britney spears, kylie minogue etc have "pop." not that much difference.

Old 2004-08-07, 00:01
Dystopia
Post-whore

I would classify it as pop as well. Heavy pop, maybe, since it is hard compared to everything else. But c'mon! All the rapping, all the image, totally pop.

Old 2004-08-07, 00:16
The-Cyber-Wraith
New Blood

Alot of ppl class Fear Factory as nu-metal, but that just proves they know jack shit. I went from my moms Gary Numan, heard this guys Obsolete cd, then went from Fear Factory to Slayer to Cannibal Corpse.

Old 2004-08-07, 01:56
omdthrash
Metalhead

All this classification shit...pop, pop music, metal or not...why don't we just say "music that we don't care to listen to"?

Old 2004-08-07, 02:05
Dystopia
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by omdthrash
All this classification shit...pop, pop music, metal or not...why don't we just say "music that we don't care to listen to"?

Because us metalheads have something special that most other scenes don't have (that I know of)...the desire to catagorize things. Since there are so many sub genres of metal people just happen to do that since the genre is so broad. I catagorize things myself, but it doesn't stop me from listening to something when I like it. I don't like (hate) nu-metal in general, but if I found a band that I liked (haven't yet) I would listen to it.

You have to wonder though, if the sub genres were actually genres and there was no metal (AKA: death, power, and thrash instead of death metal, power metal, and thrash metal), do you think there would be less open minded people? Like the people who listen to death metal and power metal as well, would there taste in music be the same?

Old 2004-08-07, 02:48
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by memnoch
The closest thing to nu-metal i've ever liked was Silverchair when i was about 14 years old. A year later, i was into Slayer......and year after that, Cannibal Corpse.....so whatever nu-metal.

I wouldn't say Silverchair is nu-metal. Just good old alternative rock. They originated waaay before nu-metal surfaced. Although, I am basing this opinion of Frogstomp. I haven't heard their newer stuff.

Now Immolation...thats fucking nu-metal.

deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery

Old 2004-08-07, 12:43
lamb_of_god
Supreme Metalhead

I used to listen to nu-metal a little bit. I still like older KoRn. However, that was all I had was that. I had no access to underground music. Until Grand Theft Auto:Vice City came out. Slayer's Raining Blood was on there and I quickly picked up the CD the next day I was so blown away. That's when I fell in love with death/thrash metal. Then the HB came on and I got exposed to Lamb of God, and I have never been happier. I been listening to The Black Dahlia Murder more than LOG lately though. All well, there's my long ass story.

Do you think Tool's nu-metal? I was talking in class with this ghetto rap-chick and she was tying to act like she knew all this shit about music and she said Tool was rap-metal, so I quickly screamed and ran out of the room. How could anyone be so retarded? But a lot of the nu-metal kids listen to them. I don't think they are though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
Everything is funny you just gotta look at it the right way.

Quote:
You know I believe in a ruling class, particuarly since I rule.

-Randal, Clerks

scientology

MySpace

scientology

Old 2004-08-07, 15:54
AbbathGS
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb_of_god
Long story about how music taste has changed slightly...

"Some people still DO listen to Nu-Metal"

Old 2004-08-07, 17:33
lamb_of_god
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbathGS
"Some people still DO listen to Nu-Metal"

That quote of me, I DIDN'T SAY THAT YOU FUCKING TARD!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
Everything is funny you just gotta look at it the right way.

Quote:
You know I believe in a ruling class, particuarly since I rule.

-Randal, Clerks

scientology

MySpace

scientology

Old 2004-08-07, 22:32
Trendkill_420
Post-whore

Quote:
Because us metalheads have something special that most other scenes don't have (that I know of)...the desire to catagorize things.

obsessive compulsive disorder?
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Old 2004-08-08, 15:45
Papalazarou 666
Metalhead

No i didnt.

I was a Maiden fan since i was a nipper, and then a couple of years ago i got REALLY into Ozzy and other 80s metal, then i started buying Metal Hammer magazine, and got into bands through that, but not one of them ws Nu-Metal

Old 2004-08-09, 19:15
Casketcrusher
Post-whore

Well I never really listened to a specific genre before Grade 6. That's when my mom gave me Slayer Reign In Blood and Metallica Master of Puppets. Then I started to listen to Pantera, Fear Factory, and White/Rob Zombie. I got into Slipknot with their first album.(But then grew out of them) Then my mom got me Repulsion and Napalm Death. Then I was hooked on Grind and Death.

Now is that a cool mom or what?

Truer words were never spoken.

Old 2004-08-10, 05:34
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamb_of_god
I used to listen to nu-metal a little bit. I still like older KoRn. However, that was all I had was that. I had no access to underground music. Until Grand Theft Auto:Vice City came out. Slayer's Raining Blood was on there and I quickly picked up the CD the next day I was so blown away. That's when I fell in love with death/thrash metal. Then the HB came on and I got exposed to Lamb of God, and I have never been happier. I been listening to The Black Dahlia Murder more than LOG lately though. All well, there's my long ass story.

Do you think Tool's nu-metal? I was talking in class with this ghetto rap-chick and she was tying to act like she knew all this shit about music and she said Tool was rap-metal, so I quickly screamed and ran out of the room. How could anyone be so retarded? But a lot of the nu-metal kids listen to them. I don't think they are though.

I think Tool are nu-metal with a hint of industrial. I like them, though. Not sure why, but the excellent lyrics might have something to do with it. Actually, if good lyrics dictated what I listened to, I wouldn't listen to 95% of the true metal I listen to. So fuck that theory. Either way, I like Tool occasionally.

Old 2004-08-11, 19:22
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader

Tool, while possessing a more progressive leaning, are just a metal band to me: a damn good one at that. They are infinitely more intelligent than the braindead hordes of nu-metal bands out there that, unfortuantely, receive a lot more attention than Tool. It seems to me that mainstream recognition is inversely proportional to talent.

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn

Old 2004-08-12, 04:37
Hallucinating Death
New Blood

There wasnt any nu-metal when I got into metal, which was yeeears back hehe

Old 2004-08-12, 05:26
Chris Rezendes
Attorney at Bird Law
Forum Leader

Regardless of whether Tool are nu-metal or metal, I can certainly agree with you that Tool are far better than any other nu-metal band.

Old 2004-08-12, 15:38
AbbathGS
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucinating Death
There wasnt any nu-metal when I got into metal, which was yeeears back hehe

Ahhhh the good ol' days; when men were men and women were cooking.

Hahahahaha.

Old 2004-08-12, 18:34
Cybris
Senior Metalhead

you people make me laugh...what you call new metal is basically in no way different then "real" metal...what do u mean "real" hahaha metal is metal, korn is alternative, likin park is shit. mushroom head and slipknot both rule and totally dominate live...so go back to school younguns and learn that there is no "real" metal...ive never heard "fake" metal have you?

Old 2004-08-12, 20:02
cxmachine
Senior Metalhead

i don't know i always thought tool sucked, but thats an each his own one their. i just can't stand them
Cunt face.

Rest in Peace Dime, thank you for changing my world on vulgar display of power, thank you for being my next step after sabbath, and thank you for inspiring me to pick up that guitar and learn some heavy fucking metal \m/ your memory will live on forever

Old 2004-08-12, 20:31
DELETE79
Britney Spear's Pimp
Alumni Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cybris
you people make me laugh...what you call new metal is basically in no way different then "real" metal...what do u mean "real" hahaha

So you're saying that you can't see a difference between Slipknot
and Morbid Angel?

Are you serious, sarcastic or you're just ignorant?

Old 2004-08-12, 22:17
cxmachine
Senior Metalhead

i sort of agree with him though, while there really is a difference between morbid angel and slipknot, there is also a difference between morbid angel and say sonata arctica, yet they are both metal, i think what he's getting at is that nu-metal has become so broad that bands that would originally get classified as metal (whether you feel the band is good or not is not the purpose of this) are being slapped into the nu-metal genre and automatically get dismissed as crap. i might be wrong but its what i see anyway. i mean i see bands nowadays that have both the look and alot of the metal ideaology but still are called nu-metal at least by some. anyway thats what i see.
Cunt face.

Old 2004-08-12, 22:52
Dystopia
Post-whore

Well, hold on now. I hear people say that nu-metal is metal but the only things I know they have in common are distortion and the name. I would like to know what elements nu-metal has in common with metal.

Old 2004-08-13, 00:03
Trendkill_420
Post-whore

anger
haTe
aggression
the bass is usually better!
screaming
anti-social
morbid
angst
etc.

and yes, compare to the various metal bands you know, and the couple of nu-metal you have listened to, and you'll agree
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Old 2004-08-13, 00:33
Winter_Wrath
New Blood

mtv is gay said:

Code:
Well, hold on now. I hear people say that nu-metal is metal but the only things I know they have in common are distortion and the name. I would like to know what elements nu-metal has in common with metal.

I agree with you 100 % and I think that most of Nu metal bands are more into Rap and some Alternative/Psycadhelic Tunes.

Old 2004-08-13, 00:49
Trendkill_420
Post-whore

code?
that's a weird one.

FUCK THAT.
It's definately not pschedelic tunes
if it is it's "nu-psychedelic"
and it sucks.
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Old 2004-08-13, 00:56
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

Learn to use Quote dumbass.. fix that shit.

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-08-13, 01:03
Trendkill_420
Post-whore

BLS used to listen to gospel.

until father touched him.
so now he's anti.

kill death die.

(but don't mention his anal leakage)

i love u bls.
No religion too,
Imagine all the people
living life in peace...

Old 2004-08-13, 03:39
Angel-Of-Death
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Regardless of whether Tool are nu-metal or metal, I can certainly agree with you that Tool are far better than any other nu-metal band.

lol tool is NOT nu-metal.... just because they have no solos means thier nu-metal? they're completly unique and cant realy be classified as anything...

ps: i dont know who originally said that and im to lazy to search for the basterd.

who ever said that was at the time
..\......./../...\.....\.../../......./..\
....\.../../--.--\.....\/../_....../_._\
...././_._.........\.../../......../...\
../...................\/../_._..../......\
/............................................\

Old 2004-08-13, 03:48
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

well their not metal either

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-08-13, 03:48
Stuff is Great
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
Because us metalheads have something special that most other scenes don't have (that I know of)...the desire to catagorize things. Since there are so many sub genres of metal people just happen to do that since the genre is so broad. I catagorize things myself, but it doesn't stop me from listening to something when I like it. I don't like (hate) nu-metal in general, but if I found a band that I liked (haven't yet) I would listen to it.

You have to wonder though, if the sub genres were actually genres and there was no metal (AKA: death, power, and thrash instead of death metal, power metal, and thrash metal), do you think there would be less open minded people? Like the people who listen to death metal and power metal as well, would there taste in music be the same?

Sorry to quote an entire post, but this deserves re-reading.

You, sir, are an idiot.

Pull your head out of your anus & go listen to something aside from metal. You don't have to like it, but know what you're talking about before you wave your dick in the wind & make sweeping generalisations about one of mankind's oldest creations.

Old 2004-08-13, 04:15
Dystopia
Post-whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuff is Great
Sorry to quote an entire post, but this deserves re-reading.

You, sir, are an idiot.

Pull your head out of your anus & go listen to something aside from metal. You don't have to like it, but know what you're talking about before you wave your dick in the wind & make sweeping generalisations about one of mankind's oldest creations.

That's great. No, really. I give a shit. And you know what? I found myself listening to Jimi Hendrix and AC/DC the other day. A little while ago I went to a punk show with a band called D.R.I. (you might have heard of them). Have a nice day and eat shit, cunt.

Old 2004-08-13, 04:38
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY

dirty rotten imbeciles kick ass!

08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.

Old 2004-08-13, 04:47
Stuff is Great
Senior Metalhead

Quote:
That's great. No, really. I give a shit. And you know what? I found myself listening to Jimi Hendrix and AC/DC the other day. A little while ago I went to a punk show with a band called D.R.I. (you might have heard of them). Have a nice day and eat shit, cunt.

Rather pugnacious response. I wasn't having a go at your ability to like other forms of music, although Punk & Hendrix is hardly bending the metal paradigm, I was attacking your comment about metal being the only form of music you knew of that branched into sub-genres. You surely knew better than that & I wanted you to acknowledge it. And if you didn't, now you may.

Get off the back foot. I've nothing against you, I don't even know you.

Old 2004-08-13, 05:54
Dystopia
Post-whore

Okay whatev. Fact is though, a lot of metalheads catagorize things more than in other genres. Look at rap, you have christian rap, hardcore rap, normal rap, and nu-metal. I never see anyone argue over sub-genres unless it is metal....then again I am not into that seen, but oh well.