MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us


Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Metal > Bands


 
 
Old 2004-06-20, 05:46
Dystopia's Avatar
Dystopia
Post-whore
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,068
"Blah blah they're better than you!"

Earlier today I said the Sex Pistols sucked, and my friend shit himself and was like "They're better than you at their instruments you fuckhead! Have some respect!" And I kept saying "I don't give a shit" and he's just all "Exactly! It's people like you that have ruined the music industry!"

Honestly, I think anyone that's open minded enough can listen to music and decide if it sucks or not. I guess everyone is better than me, since I have been playing drums and guitar for less than a year(I play them both equally), but that doesn't stop other bands from sucking, does it? Your opinions?
 
Old 2004-06-20, 05:53
ShredIsNotDead
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,487
Well you can't like every single band out there. Nobody has the exact same musical tastes. You have the right not to like them. The consumer doesnt just like music because its better than what they can do
 
Old 2004-06-20, 05:56
Soulinsane's Avatar
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hanger 18
Posts: 6,520
Sure, they may play better than you for now, but the bottom line is the Sex Pistols smoke pole imo
__________________
Authorized Mercury Magnetics tech/dealer
 
Old 2004-06-20, 06:00
fritz
Metalhead
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: South Carolina - United States
Posts: 92
I heard they sucked live.
__________________
Praise Hail Satan
 
Old 2004-06-20, 06:01
Dystopia's Avatar
Dystopia
Post-whore
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,068
Haha, yes but does that mean you're one of those people that "helped destroy the music industry"? According to someone who likes Sex Pistols it does.
 
Old 2004-06-20, 06:11
Soulinsane's Avatar
Soulinsane
Pirate Lawd
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Hanger 18
Posts: 6,520
To hell with the music industry, it's doing just fine. I believe that poeple blame the term "music industry" to hide the fact they suck. If you like something or not, it should only matter to you.
__________________
Authorized Mercury Magnetics tech/dealer
 
Old 2004-06-20, 06:16
Dystopia's Avatar
Dystopia
Post-whore
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,068
Couldn't have said it better myself.
 
Old 2004-06-20, 08:38
timedragon's Avatar
timedragon
Legio Draconorum Orkian
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: upon raging waves
Posts: 4,499
yeah, and all i have to add is that they arnt that good because it really doesnt take that much skill to play the style they play anyway. Its really quite simple to play something much better than them, and i think they suck anyway. i dont care if they are original or at the top of thier scene, I dont like their scene and i dont like them. Keep playing guitar for a few more months and you can probably play whatever crap they dish out in your sleep.
 
Old 2004-06-20, 09:32
Infinity's Avatar
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,510
its people that might hate a band but show them respect anyway that are losers. like some guy i know hates metallica's music, but if i said "i hate metallica because their music isnt even heavy, and they suck in general" he would have said "oh fuck off they ruled, i dont even listen to them but i know they ruled, because they were metal kings"

i pay no respect to ozzy, black sab, metallica, kiss, any of those fucking bands, i hated their music and it isnt fucking heavy, and it never was.

but if i said that to some guy who's a satanist and listens to death metal and crap, or a goth who listens to cradle of filth, they'll still say, fuck off they ruled.

whar im saying is people respect bands they dont even listen to or know shit about just because they started something. people say that if it wasnt for ozzy, we wouldnt have any metal altogether. as if noone in the fucking planet in the entire history of it would never ever concieve music like thet if ozzy wasnt here.
 
Old 2004-06-20, 12:47
johnmansley's Avatar
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Liverpool, England
Posts: 5,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
i pay no respect to ozzy, black sab, metallica, kiss, any of those fucking bands, i hated their music and it isnt fucking heavy, and it never was.


They mightn't be considered heavy in terms of today's bands but back in 1969 Black Sabbath were the heaviest band around. This fact is inescapable, as is the fact that Sabbath are one of the most influential bands to have ever existed. The types of song structure, lyrics and riffs that permeated their music are still prevailent in modern metal so I personally respect them immensely for helping to shape the music that I listen to today.
__________________
Album of the day:

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
 
Old 2004-06-20, 13:14
Infinity's Avatar
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,510
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmansley
They mightn't be considered heavy in terms of today's bands but back in 1969 Black Sabbath were the heaviest band around. This fact is inescapable, as is the fact that Sabbath are one of the most influential bands to have ever existed. The types of song structure, lyrics and riffs that permeated their music are still prevailent in modern metal so I personally respect them immensely for helping to shape the music that I listen to today.





There you go, another perfect example of what i am against.
no disrespect to you or anything, but what you say there is exactly what i posted against.
 
Old 2004-06-20, 13:30
johnmansley's Avatar
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Liverpool, England
Posts: 5,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
There you go, another perfect example of what i am against.
no disrespect to you or anything, but what you say there is exactly what i posted against.


Why are you against the history and origins of metal music? Allow me to draw an analogy: your hatred (if that isn't too strong a word) is akin to not respecting your favourite sporting team's past history just because the current team would beat them - not through skill but by a vastly improved fitness regime. The comparison comes into play by way of modern metal being based on Sabbath's ideas but being more 'muscular' in its construction.

Can you see what I'm getting at? You like heavy music but your don't want to acknowledge were it came from. I'm not saying that you have to like Sabbath or any of the bands you mention but surely you can see that they were influential and deserve respect?
__________________
Album of the day:

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
 
Old 2004-06-20, 13:41
Infinity's Avatar
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,510
aha, you have misunderstood.
i am not against the history of metal, and definately acknowledge from where it came from, [if i didnt know where it came from how could i be for or against this subject?]
i am against people who might hate a band but still stand up for lets say sabath if i tell them that lets say hate eternal crushes them in every way possible. it would be a metal discussion - Hey, you know that band? yeah i know them - but do you know this band? therye the heaviest thing in existence, theyre called black sabbath.

they just arent heavy anymore, and the fact is the hate eternal is just a better band [well better musicians anyway, depending on whther you like the music or not]. but ppl will go ou of their way to disprove it.

or these die hard old skool metal guys that say that lets say kiss is the best band in the world, when they just.... arent
 
Old 2004-06-20, 13:55
johnmansley's Avatar
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Liverpool, England
Posts: 5,975
I understand fully what you intended:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
its people that might hate a band but show them respect anyway that are losers.



There's nothing wrong in showing respect to a band that you hate - in fact I'd say it's a sensible and grown up trait to possess. For example, being a Liverpool fan, I absolutely hate Manchester United and everything to do with the club - I can't stress enough how much I despise them - but I can still realise that they are a great team and show them due respect. I don't think affording respect should depend entirely on whether you like someone or something.

I don't particularly like Black Metal, but I still respect BM bands as musicians. I also don't like Steve Vai's music, but that doesn't stop me from respecting him as an amazing guitarist and I'm not going to say "he's shit" just because I don't like his music.
__________________
Album of the day:

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
 
Old 2004-06-20, 14:14
Transient's Avatar
Transient
HES BAAACK
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: slaying all the giants
Posts: 9,967
no way in hell am i reading this entire thread. but, allow me to post my opinion

all metal > any punk
__________________
www.myspace.com/crownedmusic
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/transient_shirts/Banner.gif
 
Old 2004-06-20, 14:28
Ten Ton Alien's Avatar
Ten Ton Alien
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Portugal
Posts: 1,234
Quote:
Originally Posted by Transient

all metal > any punk


amen, brother.
 
Old 2004-06-20, 20:01
DeathCS's Avatar
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Minneapolis.
Posts: 5,002
You dont have to like a band to respect them.
__________________
This is my signature.
 
Old 2004-06-21, 00:30
Transient's Avatar
Transient
HES BAAACK
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: slaying all the giants
Posts: 9,967
i have no respect for punk either. bunch of watered down liberal weenie nonsense from ugly teenagers with shitty attitudes
__________________
www.myspace.com/crownedmusic
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/transient_shirts/Banner.gif
 
Old 2004-06-21, 00:59
MoonRaven's Avatar
MoonRaven
Lo, they do call to me...
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: virginia beach, VA
Posts: 2,209
why havent you died yet, mtv
__________________
Too grim to function
 
Old 2004-06-21, 01:14
Dystopia's Avatar
Dystopia
Post-whore
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoonRaven
why havent you died yet, mtv


Now don't tell me you like the Sex Pistols too!
 
Old 2004-06-21, 01:26
MoonRaven's Avatar
MoonRaven
Lo, they do call to me...
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: virginia beach, VA
Posts: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtv_is_gay
Now don't tell me you like the Sex Pistols too!

they suck on their instruments, but i do like anarchy in the uk, but why havent you died yet
__________________
Too grim to function
 
Old 2004-06-21, 01:27
Transient's Avatar
Transient
HES BAAACK
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: slaying all the giants
Posts: 9,967
i hate mtv but he seems lively yet
__________________
www.myspace.com/crownedmusic
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/transient_shirts/Banner.gif
 
Old 2004-06-21, 02:22
metal=life's Avatar
metal=life
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: pretty damn close to Cephalic Carnage.
Posts: 3,648
The only thing it means when you don't give elder bands respect is that you don't really give a shit what the music you are listening to right now came from. I could care less if I ever heard Sabbath again or Hendrix or maybe even Led Zep. But they are still respected in my book for what they've done in the past and the doors they opened for todays musicians. Metallica can choke on a boner and die for all I care but (it hurts to say this) I have a LITTLE respect for them and what they did way back. Only a little because they've pretty much destroyed their respect all together by spitting in the face of everyone who likes metal.


Nothing I just said really matters cause everyone has their differences. I happen to appreciate the people who were pioneers in heavy music, you night not. I do not really care.
__________________
I swear to Drunk I'm not god
---------------------------------
CEPHALIC FUCKING CARNAGE


------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

"One day we all will die, a cliched fact of life."
Pantera - I'm Broken
 
Old 2004-06-21, 02:41
Transient's Avatar
Transient
HES BAAACK
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: slaying all the giants
Posts: 9,967
just becasue they open the doors doesnt mean they are good. agreed. but you dont have to respect them either
when it comes down to it:
you have money. you buy cds you like. whether its the new ja rule cd or a gorguts cd is up to you
__________________
www.myspace.com/crownedmusic
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j136/transient_shirts/Banner.gif
 
Old 2004-06-21, 03:02
Dystopia's Avatar
Dystopia
Post-whore
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,068
Soooo, if I should respect Black Sabath for influencing metal today(which I do) does that mean I should hate Sex Pistols for making punk the way it is? Me thinks so.

PS) I haven't died yet because I'm not a goth kid and I have no reason to kill myself.
 
Old 2004-06-21, 03:43
MoonRaven's Avatar
MoonRaven
Lo, they do call to me...
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: virginia beach, VA
Posts: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtv_is_gay
I haven't died yet because I'm not a goth kid and I have no reason to kill myself.

are you trying to imply something, jockitch
__________________
Too grim to function
 
Old 2004-06-21, 04:56
Dystopia's Avatar
Dystopia
Post-whore
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,068
Yes I'm implying that goth kids kill theirselves WAAAY too much and you're gay.
 
Old 2004-06-21, 05:40
DeathCS's Avatar
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Minneapolis.
Posts: 5,002
I think that you're implying that YOU are gay LoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLOLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLoLZ
__________________
This is my signature.
 
Old 2004-06-21, 06:05
brainsforbreakfast's Avatar
brainsforbreakfast
El Diablo sin pantalones
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Yggdrassyl
Posts: 4,321
Mtv: you are a tool.
And mind you, being goth is not the only reason for getting your ass kicked.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darko
Quote:
Originally Posted by Requiem
Why would you sig that?
Why not? Why would you sig me saying that I hate you? I was serious there, too.


I'm in despair! The internet has left me in despair!
 
Old 2004-06-21, 07:01
Stuff is Great's Avatar
Stuff is Great
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Adelaide, Australia
Posts: 220
Your friend's an idiot.
__________________
Yeah! Fool! Damn. Yeah.
 
Old 2004-06-21, 10:18
metal=life's Avatar
metal=life
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: pretty damn close to Cephalic Carnage.
Posts: 3,648
the idiot's friend is an idiot
__________________
I swear to Drunk I'm not god
---------------------------------
CEPHALIC FUCKING CARNAGE


------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

"One day we all will die, a cliched fact of life."
Pantera - I'm Broken
 
Old 2004-06-21, 16:12
PH
Senior Metalhead
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 157
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNIBALCORPSE
You dont have to like a band to respect them.


Beautiful.

I'm sure many people on this board will begrudgingly respect Metallica for what they did.
 
Old 2004-06-21, 19:22
MoonRaven's Avatar
MoonRaven
Lo, they do call to me...
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: virginia beach, VA
Posts: 2,209
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtv_is_gay
Yes I'm implying that goth kids kill theirselves WAAAY too much and you're gay.

thats not what your mom said last nite, crotch stain
__________________
Too grim to function
 
Old 2004-06-21, 21:33
metal=life's Avatar
metal=life
Post-whore
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: pretty damn close to Cephalic Carnage.
Posts: 3,648
Children, please....
__________________
I swear to Drunk I'm not god
---------------------------------
CEPHALIC FUCKING CARNAGE


------D---
------E---
------A---
---METAL
------H---

"One day we all will die, a cliched fact of life."
Pantera - I'm Broken
 
Old 2004-06-22, 00:16
Dyldo's Avatar
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Californeeway
Posts: 7,909
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtv_is_gay
Soooo, if I should respect Black Sabath for influencing metal today(which I do) does that mean I should hate Sex Pistols for making punk the way it is? Me thinks so.


No. Punk is the way it is because of the musicians that choose to make it that way. And you not liking punk dosen't mean that everyone should logically hate them like in the instince that someone liking metal should logically respect their elders. Punk influence metal alot too, wether you like it or not.
__________________
Check my band out:
facebook.com/deadheadroses
deadheadroses.bandcamp.com
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery
 
Old 2004-06-22, 01:37
Dystopia's Avatar
Dystopia
Post-whore
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,068
Haha, I like punk just fine. I hate the Sex Pistols, and I hate pop punk. Metal will always be first though.
 
Old 2004-06-22, 02:37
DeathCS's Avatar
DeathCS
Wasted Custom User title
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Minneapolis.
Posts: 5,002
I happen to dislike punk and I have no respect for any punk bands. I just don't like the music or the style.
As for Metallica. I like them '83-'88 or even only up to '86. I am not saying that they are my favorite band but I do enjoy listening to them every once in a while. ANY THING past '88 I can not stand listening to and should not be listened for it is shit.
__________________
This is my signature.
 
Old 2004-06-22, 06:55
Dystopia's Avatar
Dystopia
Post-whore
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,068
Before black album = Good
Black album and so on = Bad
 
Old 2004-06-23, 05:40
far_beyond_sane's Avatar
far_beyond_sane
You gamma-minus fucktards
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sydney.
Posts: 4,674
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtv_is_gay
Earlier today I said the Sex Pistols sucked, and my friend shit himself and was like "They're better than you at their instruments you fuckhead! Have some respect!"


Jesus Arse-Hammered Sunday! Of course they suck! Even The Sex Pistols thought they were a bunch of talentless fucking drunken cockheads. Because they were! What's your friend's problem???
__________________
far_beyond_sane - contributing to the moral decay of your children since 1982

"It was some kind of evolutionary glitch, she figured; no different than the other unreasonable side effects of consciousness and emotion, like religion and rap music."
 
Old 2004-06-23, 05:56
Dyldo's Avatar
Dyldo
Throbbing Member
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Californeeway
Posts: 7,909
Jonny Rotten peed in a tranvestit's face.

Wow I spelled that horribly wrong.
__________________
Check my band out:
facebook.com/deadheadroses
deadheadroses.bandcamp.com
deadheadrosesmusic.com
i'm so bonery
 
Old 2004-06-23, 06:06
BLS's Avatar
BLS
STUFFED ANIMAL ORGY
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Chicago
Posts: 8,705
Im a firm beliver that if it wasent for crust punk, then grindcore bands like napalm death woulda never formed... thus influencing death metal. and i only read one post in this topic
__________________
"Believe the word
I will unlock my door
And pass the cemetery gates"

"Dimebag" Darrell Lance Abbott
08/20/66 - 12/08/04

R.I.P.
 
Old 2004-06-24, 12:42
Infinity's Avatar
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,510
Sorry for this belated response [mostly to john - if i may]

but this is the way to sum up what i think.

metallica, ozzy , whoever, have done theyre thing. weve all respected them some time or another i DID, but know i dont. im just sick of hearing people bitch about how good they are. still.

but either way we are both going to be like - no youre wrong, im right - and so on.

so to draw my CONCLUSION in this debate;
i believe we have payed our dues. im quite over a band that has been around for fifty years, and im not kissing theyre ass for all eternity.

over to you
 
Old 2004-06-25, 14:41
johnmansley's Avatar
johnmansley
Schrodinger's Cat
Forum Leader
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Liverpool, England
Posts: 5,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinity
but either way we are both going to be like - no youre wrong, im right - and so on.


Therein lies the crux of our last few posts. There's nothing wrong with a good debate (it makes a change that it didn't resort to insults, haha!) but I think we've made our points already so there's no point in re-hashing old posts.

__________________
Album of the day:

Red Sparowes - At the Soundless Dawn
 
Old 2004-06-25, 15:29
Infinity's Avatar
Infinity
Life is pain.
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,510
Well said, case closed!

<-----

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off



Top

========

Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer
Copyright © 2001-2014 MetalTabs.com. All Rights Reserved.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.