MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Drums Zone

Old 2004-06-05, 08:55
BEHEMOTH
Senior Metalhead

HOW MANY TIME DO YO PRACTICE?

We will put hour day or hours week, what you want.

Old 2004-06-09, 03:11
MeTalManiac555
Supreme Metalhead

I am not completely sure one what your asking or trying to say but if your asking how long we practice or play for every day then for me I would say about an hour or so on day's I am busy and 2 or more hours when I am not really busy. I still suck though and need to get some lessons because I am playing stuff from Cd's like everyone tells me but that's not teaching me theory and techneq (sp) and I am just stuck in a rut playing the same old boring stuff and I am getting tired of it and it's boring now so it's getting to the point where I am not learning nothing new because I don't know what else to do and I just don't care for playing anymore. Hopefully I am going to find someone around here tomarrow to get me lessons.
Sorry if I am off topic but like I said, I wasn't sure if this was what you were asking or trying to say.
twilight casts spells on those who espouse their fate

ice pricks necks like knives, leaving shards of cadaverous skin
tears spout from eyes, shunned from mankind's den
(Prayer For Cleansing/ "A Dead Soal Born")

Old 2004-07-01, 09:31
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

I aim for at least 20 mins a day, usually though it is one day I might have 3 20 min sessions and that nothing for a few days then another few 20 min sessions, but my room is being painted by my mum, so I can't set my kit up and so can't practice

Old 2004-07-01, 17:31
MeTalManiac555
Supreme Metalhead

Well lately I have been getting into the playing way more since I have some more time and have been playing for about 6-8 hours some days and sometimes much more like all day and all night. I got back into guitar now as well and been playing that about 5 hours a day or less and this week and weekend I will be playing a TON.

Old 2004-07-02, 07:38
Dystopia
Post-whore

At least a half hour a day. Usually more.

Old 2004-07-03, 01:38
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

I play whenever I can, usually it adds up to an hour or so of short sessions a day, but I do spend a lot of time on theory.

WARNING -SEVERELY OFF TOPIC
MeTalManiac555 - Playing stuff from CDs doesn't work well. Find a teacher as soon as you can. A lot of people end up with bad habits, and some of those bad habits can hurt you, especially holding sticks. Some people ended up with very bad injuries because they gripped sticks waaay too tightly. Personally, I think my teacher kicks ass, but that's just me.

Old 2004-07-03, 11:36
The Doctor
Denimwearinghillbilly
Forum Leader

teachers should kick ass, they had an education to do that.

Old 2004-07-04, 01:03
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Actually, when I used to play violin I had a teacher with 3 music degrees and she was a very bad teacher.

Old 2004-07-04, 02:52
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

my first drum teacher was the man, he taught me so much groovy shit, my second drum teacher sucked and just did drum theory non-stop and sight reading, while his teaching methods were okay what he taught sucked plus I had played piano for 5 years before that and STILL couldn't sight read with ANY fluidity at all, so I gave up on him.

Now my drum teacher's are the likes of Frost, Dave Lombardo, Hell Hammer, and almost all Death drummers (black metal drummers mostly suck ass, the two I mentioned are by far the best out of all the ones I have heard so far)

although I am going along to a Jazz workshop happening at a local Uni soon and going to pick up some Jazz tips and Tricks becasue apart from Metal Jazz is the most extreme drumming discipline.

Old 2004-07-04, 06:30
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Actually,jazz IS the most extreme drumming discipline in my opinion.

Having someone else play for you before you can play it just defeats the purpose of sheet music. I'm like that - if someone plays something to me I can play it back easily, but sight reading takes a bit more time, and it's meant to be like that. Very few people can just play something off by sight perfectly, unless it's waaay below their skill level in difficulty.

Old 2004-07-04, 08:55
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Metal, well GOOD metal drumming is mroe extreme than jazz, mainly because jazz drumming hardly uses the feet at all (well compared to metal anyway) and by having someone play it for me, I mean give me the basic beat and will be sweet, I wouldn't mind being able to read something and be able to play it instantly, but the potential gain FAAAAAARRRR outweighs the effort required, unless I was going to be a session drummer or something, but most of them suck, even though they are awesome drummers, they have to play crappy simple beats for crappy simple artists who mostly don't write their own songs, to me that defeats the purpose of being a good drummer, but that is just me, I think I will stop ranting.....

Old 2004-07-04, 14:06
Pentacle
Senior Metalhead

30/40 minutes a day, sometimes more. This vacation I'm gona learn some more Maiden/Megadeth/motorhead songs, so probably more then 50 minutes a day

Old 2004-07-04, 20:34
MeTalManiac555
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenCrimson
I play whenever I can, usually it adds up to an hour or so of short sessions a day, but I do spend a lot of time on theory.

WARNING -SEVERELY OFF TOPIC
MeTalManiac555 - Playing stuff from CDs doesn't work well. Find a teacher as soon as you can. A lot of people end up with bad habits, and some of those bad habits can hurt you, especially holding sticks. Some people ended up with very bad injuries because they gripped sticks waaay too tightly. Personally, I think my teacher kicks ass, but that's just me.

Yeah a lot of people tell me to play to CD's but I see where the mess ups happen. I know how to hold a stick, etc. There are a few ways to do it depending on what your doing. I have a steave smith video that is teaching me lots. One day I wan't to be able to play all sorts of music from jazz to metal, etc even if the music sucks. I know I need a teacher bad but no money at all man. One thing I need to find out is if the way I play is ok because my problem is that I am right handed but on the drums instead of cross my hands over (with hi hat on left side sitting on throne) and hitting the hi hat with my right hand, I don't cross them over and hit the hi hat with my left hand. Some people tell me it's ok that it doesn't matter but others tell me that's a bad habit and a wrong way to do it because it will cause problems later on when I get more technical..... Does anyone know if this is true? I can't turn my set around backwards because I use my right foot on the bass and even if I have a double bass pedal it will be weird. Should I try and learn to cross my hands over or what? I was starting to cross my hands over and learning to play both ways but it will take forever for me to learn everything I know now that way and it will piss me off if I have been playing the wrong way. Some of you might say there is no wrong way but people are telling me that down the road playing the way I do will mess me up. So if anyone can give me any info on this then that would be great, thanks.
Sorry for the off topic a bit....

Old 2004-07-05, 01:22
NZ black metal drumm
Post-whore

Yes it will hurt you if you ONLY play like that when you get more technical (I blast beat in that manner and it makes going round the kit a pain)

HOWEVER!!!!!!

keep doing it as long as you play both crossed over and not crossed over, becasue if you play 10 minutes each way during your practice, your left hand will be as strong as your right hand, which again when you want to play some REALLY technical shit, it will be a GREAT help, I regret not doing enough practising with my left hand when I started because now when blast beating it shows that my left hand is considerably weaker. and use your left foot moer on the bass drum etc. if you can cause again it will help you if you want to do some sic double kicking.

Old 2004-07-30, 21:30
SixfeetUnder420
Senior Metalhead

I usually practice once a day for about an hour. Then me and my band practice about 2 or 3 times a week.

Old 2004-07-31, 05:01
omdthrash
Metalhead

I try to practice at least an hour a day (mostly metal), but on weekdays i play probably three hours a day including the practice, with different bands etc. Building blast chops is cool, and is something I practice everyday, but I try to expand my horizons by playing for different groups like jazz bands, a friend of mine who's a singer songwriter, show choruses etc. You can apply things you learn from those styles (which, by playing in those groups, forces you to practice) like the finesse and limb independence of jazz, dynamics of the singer/songwriter thing, and absolutely positively playing in perfect time for the chorus, and apply those to metal to make your drumming even better.

Old 2004-08-30, 18:06
tylertherobot
New Blood

I try to get 2 hours or so each day, on weekends I get much more, lately I've only been getting about half an hour a day or so to practice because of college.

I play really fast, I don't know about BPMs but if I had to compare myself to a drummer I'd say Marduk's drummer minus triggers. Triggers are for pussies.

I taught myself to play, but I'm 17 and have been playing for 11 years so it's somewhat second nature.

Old 2004-08-30, 19:51
BrokenCrimson
Post-whore

Lately I've been getting less practice, on fridays especially, but I make up for it on the weekends. All added up it's about 45 minutes a day or so now but I try to get as much time as I can.

Old 2004-08-31, 15:58
BOSE
Senior Metalhead

I play about an hour a day, I took a four lessons so I could get a good idea of time signatures then I just went out on my own.

I guess some people can't teach themselves I've pretty much taught myself everything I know and I learned from listening to bands like Morbid Angel, Hate Eternal, Krisiun. I can play shit loads of their songs so to each their own.

And I don't think you know how triggers work, they don't make you faster or sound faster.

I'm 19 and I started when I was 15 and I fuckin rally, some people just don't pick up on shit very fast

Last edited by BOSE : 2004-08-31 at 16:00.

Old 2004-09-14, 19:45
LorAD
New Blood

i started playing drums 2 month before my 16th birthday
i am 19 years old and play now for about 3 years and 6 month.

my amount of practice was varying through that time.

when i started i wanted to become good very fast so i played like
2-3 h every day the first 6 month.
than i lost motivation because of my drum teacher who totally ignored the fact that i improved very fast and insisted
on practicing shit he wants a 6 month drum player to play that was way to easy and boring for me.
so i did not practice any more at this time i just played the 60 minutes drum lession 1x a weak when i played with my drumteacher.
This lastet about 4 month, then i quitted drumlessions and decided to play on my on by listening to cds and trying to play to them.
And i was again practicing like about 3 hours every day and made some great improvements, joined a band and had my first gigs.
at this time everybody cant belive that i only played 2 years when i was able
to play easily Raining blood from slayer in the original speed and with imense power.
but than it unfortunately happend.

I was somehow not able to improve anymore by listening to Cds.
I was very fast atm and i was able to play all the famous songs from slayer
and co but did not know what to do, too reach the next step.
I did not manage to combine speed with musical finesse.
and i lost the interest in playing fast and straight all the time.
i tryed hard for another 5 month but failed and
So i was again not practicing for about 4-5 month due to lack of motivation.
i only practiced 2 times a week about 20minutes blast beat.

after i had my 3 years of playing drums i gave myself a new motivation
by starting drumming again in a completely diffrent kind of music by joining a new band.
experimental emo rock. Music that requieres no speed and no brutality but a lot of feeling and good grooves.
because you cant practice feeling that much^^ i only played about 40 min a day
which was enough to make good improvements on this kind of music.
I played several gigs with this new band and everybody said i have a cool style of drumming

some days ago i again felt that i reached my personal limit in this kind of music which could probably only be solved by a good teacher.

This is somehow sad
I always improved very fast by teaching myself with Cds and Videos.
A lot faster than many drummer i know did when they got tought by a drumteacher
but after some month/1 year i always reach a point where i have no clue how to continue.

so now i can answer the question in short words
when i am motivated 3h a day if i am not ,then i dont practice .

Last edited by LorAD : 2004-09-14 at 19:51.