MetalTabs.com - your source for Metal tabs
Home Forum FAQ Contact Us Link to Us

Go Back   MetalTabs.com Forum > Musicians > Bass Zone

Old 2004-05-13, 14:24
Sodomaniac
Supreme Metalhead

String change

I've read that you should change your strings every 3 -4 months !
Because they get dirty and will loose their sound if you play to long with the same strings ?
It is really necassary to change them every 3-4 months ?

Old 2004-05-13, 18:10
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

erm yeah it is, if you like the nice new tinny string sound, but i hardly change mine, i usually boil them when they get greasy, and use Fast Fret string cleaner on them, once i had bass strings that were 2 years old, but they recently snapped..

Quote:
Originally Posted by metal=life
Hey don't talk back buddy. Give your dick size or don't post.

Old 2004-05-13, 19:08
Transient
HES BAAACK

im lazy about it, i do them about every 5 months.
that string ease stuff makes my strings STICKIER for some reason...

personal preference

Old 2004-05-16, 15:51
Vomitblast
New Blood

Which strings?

I don't mean to open a new thread for this question. So I will just ask if Fender strings are good? Or should I rather take Ernie Ball (which cost 10$ more)? Currently I have D'Addario (something like that) and I would like to try a few other brands.

Old 2004-05-17, 05:38
Brutalnudele
New Blood

I've found that I need to change my string about every 2-3 months (depending on how much I play). If you play shows a couple nights a week and practice a lot then yea around 2 months is the right amount of time (some people change their string even twice in the same month but that's just insane).If you are playing bass a couple hours a week as just a little hobby then you can most likely change them less frequently.
Fender strings (for me) don't last very long so I tried tons of others and eventually ended with Rotosound Roundwood strings...best kind I have ever played.

Old 2004-05-17, 17:32
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Yeah warwick strings arent that decent either.. can anyone name any decent strings that last longer.. or have atleast from experience have lasted long.. and sound decent

Quote:

Old 2004-06-02, 17:59
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

If I had things my way, I'd change my strings every two or three weeks. They go dull on me really quickly. In reality I can only change them about every two months. Luckily that's not so much of a problem anymore because my new bass has an active EQ, so it sounds good all the time. I personally find it hard to judge which brand of strings sounds better, because when I buy a new pair, I can't remember what the other brands sounded like when they were new. All I can tell is that the sound way better than the old strings they replace. I'd almost have the have two identical basses both with new strings on them, both of different brands to tell which of the two string brands is better. Usually a general rule applies to everything: the higher the price, the better the quality. But then again sometimes some prices are really high just because a company is popular, but I don't think this is so much of a problem for strings. Cheers.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2004-06-02, 19:08
Rattlehead
Senior Metalhead

I should have also mentioned that I recently started washing my hands every time before playing. It helps preserve the strings and I think it makes me less sloppy for my picking.
I say do away with it. You can always stand in its former location if you need to make use of the perspective it gave you, but will benefit from the ability to situate yourself in different loci with ease.
Destroy the box.

Old 2004-06-03, 20:10
Sodomaniac
Supreme Metalhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattlehead
I should have also mentioned that I recently started washing my hands every time before playing. It helps preserve the strings and I think it makes me less sloppy for my picking.

yes, that's true !

Old 2004-06-05, 11:50
Tattered
Symbiotic In Theory
Forum Leader

Yeah if your hands sweat when playing, then its more likely your strings will go dull quickly.. if you want to prevent that just spray anti persipirant on your hands before a gig.

Quote: